• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Q&A-Ask your questions here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowdYdoo

Smash Cadet
oh I didn't see europhoria's post

srry about the double post

You didn't exactly say what to do after you dair them out of shield. Run up and grab again? And I heard somewhere that utilts are good against sheiks, is that right?

Oh, that also reminds me, my brother plays jiggz and I find it hard to recover from him. He'll chase me off stage and use bairs, when I FF past it, he goes back up to edgehog that leaves me 2 options (he's good at keeping invince frames)
1. Up-b early, land on stage, he then edgehops back on bairs me out again
2. Up-b late... and I get edgehogged most of the time.
Is there a way around it or should I just suck it up and kill him faster?

Europhoria

Smash Lord
If you hit, follow up with whatever is necessary. Grab, f-smash, up+b, f-air, u-tilt, another d-air.

When you FF past the Jiggs keep a f-air infront of you to hit him and get to the ledge.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
You shouldn't be getting outmaneuvered that badly by Jigglypuff. You can still try the fastfall, double jump fair. If they're trying to edgehog you, fair them on the edge to force them to get off.

I don't see how you're slow enough to get bair'd. Don't Dolphin Slash that early, try to land straight on the stage.

HowdYdoo

Smash Cadet
Best way to fight a pillar happy falco?
(He does tons of SHB when i'm a distance away from him, but I usually rush and camp/DD in his face so that isn't too much of a problem -I read the laser approach guide from EmblemLord, goodstuff-)
I always get shined before I get my grab on him, I have a feeling it's cuz i'm grabbing late but i'm not sure.

RestInPeace

Smash Ace
There's nothing I can do vs Marth/Roy except space and wait for mistakes. With Roy, its easier to combo into rest, but also KO'd at 0%.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Pillars can always be grabbed, you just have to know when to do it. I generally go for it right after the shine, but it depends on the Falco, and what kinda pillar he uses. Scotu has a thread about it, if you care enough to look it up.

Roy is in no way even with Marth.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
yer up b that ****, but yeah the match up with marth and roy is fairly even but still in marths favour, but they are by no means even as a character except roy has fire and all that crap.

ComboTurtle

Smash Lord
I don't know, ComboTurtle. It sure looks like he is referring to the Marth vs Roy matchup here. Marth is not only a much better character, but he also has a significant advantage in that matchup.
this post confused the **** out of me, marth does not have a significant advantage in the match up afaik

TidalWave

Smash Apprentice
like i said, before and he clarified hes talking about the matchup
I figured we were in the business of stating the obvious? I was just kidding around. :laugh:

Maybe you place a higher value on the word "significant" than I do. But really, lets not pretend that Marth and Roy are even.

HowdYdoo

Smash Cadet
Better to jab a spacie during their illlusion or grab them? When do you even time the grab. I know that you jab as soon as you hear the sound.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
So one question about Marth's sword.

The strongest part is obviously the tip, but there's a bit of a difference depending on if you hit them with the middle of the sword, or with like, the hilt.

Like Ken vs. Azen, Ken hits Azen at like 120% when Azen is JUST inside tipper range, and he barely goes anywhere. Later when Azen is at like 135~ish, Ken hits him when Azen is like CRAZY close and he dies (DI is obviously a factor but I still notice a difference)

So in order of strength tipper > hilt > middle of sword?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Goy98SDGTOo&feature=related

4:10 - 4:35 ish

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
To be honest, I have no idea. We were talking about how some of Marth's attacks definitely have more than two kinds of hits though.

On the bright side, take a look at Marth's fsmash!

Frame 10

Frame 11

Frame 12

Frame 13

As you can see, there're four hitboxes on each. Now, this doesn't mean that there're four kinds of hits, necessarily, but at least there is the possibility of being that many.

Anyways, the usmash has three different kinds of hits.

Frame 13

The two on the side are set knockback, the top one is the tipper and the middle one is the vertical knockback one that isn't as strong as the tipper.

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
@Original poster. That was actually just Azen DIing very poorly. He was DIing straight left, which caused him to have a near horizontal trajectory (on a stage with close sides mind you).

Frame 11

Frame 12
Did anyone else notice that the max tipper range (in relation to Marth distance wise) drastically shrinks between these two frames? While at the same time, the actual circle for the tipper hitbox is freakin' huge!!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm wondering what happens if you hit with the part where the middle hitbox and the tipper hitbox overlap...

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
ok i have a question.

exactly how do you play dr. mario as marth? supposedly marth counters doc and i find that hard to believe although im inexperienced in the matchup.

also, what stages do i want to cp this char? fd? bf?

Ndot

Smash Journeyman
Aerial through his pills and hit the doc. You can also jab the pills to stop them from hitting you cuz of your disjointed hitbox. The rest, grab and combo a lot. I usually cp yoshi's story, bf, dreamland? almost anything I feel comfortable on, your own preferences will help you too.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
And gimp. Doc gimps hard, but gets gimped harder.

It depends on the character you're counterpicking, really. Battlefield or Final Destination can be good against spacies. Mute City is good against Sheik. I wouldn't really use Dream Land because you can't abuse the platforms as well, but y'know, whatever.

You can almost never go wrong with Yoshi's Story. Basically, stick to neutrals.

Anyway, Ryucloud, that's a can o' worms you're opening with that question. I think there's probably still a lot of debate in terms of Ken vs. Mew2King. Buuut... here's what Taj told me when I asked him a similar question about why Ken and Mew2King are/were so dominant.

M2K has incredible Tech skill with Marth. He wasn't so much "flashy" as he was just extremely efficient and fast. Ken had excellent mind games. Mew2King had immaculate spacing, and I had a mix of both I suppose. I'd say we all have elements of both, but as far as strengths go, M2K had a formula and liked to stick with it, which made him more predictable but a **** machine when he got what he wanted. What made him a monster was when he learned how to increase the likelihood of him getting what he wanted on top of his robotic technical skill and spacing.

Ken was always just steps ahead of everyone for a long time. He could see through people like M2K for a very long time and probably can still see through him until he just couldn't keep up with M2K's "perfect" game play. M2K just knew how to put all of the theory smash from the years into a formula for success and just practiced the hell out of perfecting it. He did it with Fox, but Marth has more margin for error and it ended up working better for him there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom