• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marth Metagame Thread

Player-3

Smash Hero
dk is a stupid matchup

i'm getting good at the d3 matchup... but still losing due to one **** up

and what do i do against wario when he gets in CQC? i get naired every time, even when i shield it's just aggravating

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
CQC? I feel like I should know what that is....

*EDIT: brainfarted, that's definitely close quarters.....

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Why does MikeHaze like Brawl Yosh's island for Marth? Has anybody else found this to be a useful stage for Marth in the stage striking process?

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
he doesn't get ***** vertically there, it also depends who he is fighting as well. some characters have a harder time chaingrabing marth here

-Cross-

Smash Ace
How about MK though? The only technical problem I see is that grab releases>dair can get screwed up because of the slope at the ends of the stages. Also MK controlling the center of the stage would be a problem for Marth, but that applies against most characters.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Marth has arcs on all of his moves, and many of his ground moves increase in horizontal range as they do vertically.
Meaning you get a "lower to the ground" stronger horizontal disjoint on your side, depending on your positioning.

Which is quite good against most characters shorter than you. Or those who have low sweeping moves (hurr MK's dtilt, dededes grab)

Dair to spike is awkward, I'll admit. I have been able to pull it off though... It's just that because there's the walls, MKs can a lot more easily just DI to survive it at higher then elsewhere percent.
I find the design of the stage hinders tornadoing, removes most ability for MK to use the air against you, and in a lot of positions you can still grab release to stuff.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
what else could be considered stages for counter picking MK on bar FD?
is there any other stages were the MU is even or even slightly are advantedge or is there any stage that makes it the same but doesn't hinder us?

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Don't do YI against DK though for obvious (at least I hope so) reasons lol.

Or DDD although it's not terrible there either (better than FD lol)

Player-3

Smash Hero
wow @ the spike he pulled on you that was soooooo sexy

how do you do it that consistently
>_>

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Hmm, rising sh db1 on snake's shield may actually be just as good, if not better than rising full hop fair... (even though I'd say it's not safe against an utilt)

I really liked your usage of it Mr.R

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Mr. R, your marth is beautiful to watch. So graceful, flashy, and precise. I love it.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Is Marth's glide toss really that bad?
I was trying to see if I could find any uses with it against my friend's Peach, and I thought it made a decent approach tool.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Marth's throws are so laggy >_<

You platform cancel by pushing down on the c-stick while passing through a moving platform.

Do people find it easier to platform cancel (off the floor) by doing a full hop, or quick double jump? I like to use double jump. but I'm still not very consistent with it anyway. Haven't really given full hop a proper try.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
you could down on control stick then ci stick right as your feet go through IIRC

with snake I prefer double jump with marth FJ

also most of the time you HAVE to use FJ to do it

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Marth's throws are so laggy >_<

You platform cancel by pushing down on the c-stick while passing through a moving platform.

Do people find it easier to platform cancel (off the floor) by doing a full hop, or quick double jump? I like to use double jump. but I'm still not very consistent with it anyway. Haven't really given full hop a proper try.
The key is that you must release down on the analog right as you your feet reach the platform, thats how i do it anyways.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
marth's forward glide toss being really small is actually really good... covering just a "small" distance is easier to work with, honestly. Crossing over someone in all your glide tosses isn't always great, especially against diddy who would probably have a second banana near by.
I generally always accidentally glide toss forward like half the stage length... lol

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
I think whilst he was playing any mks, he was singing an amazing song that no one has ever ever heard of before, so beautiful and witty that it caused paralysis to the player in question. Guaranteeing some epic grab release to forward smash tipper.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
random luigi: 2-0 marth double 3 stocked
poyo kirby: 1-1 marth (i suck LMAO) 1-0 metaknight (he picked brinstar)
lie falco: 2-0 marth
junebug lucario winners finals: 0-3 marth wow get *****
ps olimar: 2-1 marth
takeover snake 3-0 marth
junebug lucario grand finals best 6/11: 4-4 marth 2-1 metaknight

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Meta Knight as a secondary,
too goood.

Even though we have a separate topic for secondaries atm, I must really emphasise that a great Marth + coupled with MK for bad stages is our best bet for our player's victory in tournaments.

Neo, where was meep or the ics at?

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
that doesn't matter since -literally- no player currently using IC's can actually hold a candle to me outside of broken infinites anyways

and i don't say that as proof of my prowess, i suck

i say that as proof of ic mains non-prowess - they suck worst

Top Bottom