• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matt07

Smash Master
I only had Infinite Replay, and like 2 Custom Songs.

Textures look cool, but some of them are way to flashy (especially stages.)

Matt07

Smash Master
Yea...I dunno though, I hope its more competitive...

It'll still be a day 1 buy for me.

Mario Party 9 also kinda confirmed.

Matt07

Smash Master
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/09/iwata_asks_smash_bros/

"He felt that it would be wrong to make a mere extension of Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) and Super Smash Bros. Brawl. He did not feel that it would be right to just increase the volume, adding 50 characters or doubling the stages for instance."

Okay, so new style for this game, sad it's not gonna be like Melee, but...

"What Sakurai hopes to do is have the 3DS version of Smash Bros. allow players to build up their character through battle and rewards, then take their custom character to the Wii U version to face off against everyone. He feels it could be nice if they can make the "personal" portable space and the stadium-like "public" console space mesh together."

So I'm assuming your custom character would just be a Mii? I imagine custom characters getting banned?

"Regarding planners, Sakurai noted that he's headed up all areas of game balance and character strength settings for past Smash Bros. This time, he's hoping to leave this area to the staff."

Okay, that's sweet. Maybe we won't have another Metaknight...

"He believes that there is merit in having skilled and unskilled players play together, so one emphasis will be on elements of players helping one-another."

:(.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
I'm disappointed by how that thing looks. It looks like an updated version of the Game Gear handheld that Sega made so long ago. *sigh* Nintendo.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think the new controller is GREAT and has a ton of potential that mainly only Nintendo is gonna know how to exploit right. Most of the 3rd parties I say can go **** themselves if they think they have better ideas for the new controller (Capcom and Konami though, they might be alright), but the good news is that this controller will facilitate the option of many more games being comfortably ported to the Wii U.

And the more I think about it, the more I feel Sakurai is onto something big when he is making an entirely new Smash experience that isn't the same type of staged fighter as Melee and Brawl. People are always gonna complain why Smash as a fighter isn't what they want it to be. A more personalized experience imo should be more appealing to a larger audience, even mainstream gamers. While we don't know how competitive it's gonna be, I do have faith that whatever they make is gonna be fun and interesting as hell.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
Smash 64 and melee are amazing games. Brawl has a lot of things that could be better, but everyone gets one. Btw, my friend that mains Link still hasn't played me in brawl. I might not use Mario against him unless I see that he is good. Also **** everyone hating on the wii U. I have faith in it and I'm gonna get it. Nintendo isn't your ordinary console. They like too innovate. Their most "regular" controller is for the gamecube and even that one has the 4 main buttons irregularly placed. Just because its new doesn't mean its gonna be bad.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
That's sad because I always thought Iska was extremely talented. And I will assume that you're talking about the June OUGA in Columbus, yes? The one Composer and Squid are heading to.

Well, I am since it's just a twenty-five minute ride up there. Though Keister usually houses people the previous night.
Yup, that's the one I meant. Still trying to figure out if people will go with me/drive me, but it's looking good for now.

Most of the snake mains here (Infern, Nope, 64, Links24) are a higher caliber of player than I and admittedly struggle against Snake in general. I'm not a good source for the Snake MU from a Mario perspective.
:phone:
Lol... Maybe it's because of how much he's trolled me with Snake, but I refuse to think of Links as a Snake player. Also I survive pretty long against him when he goes Snake unless I get hit by something dumb. For the most part though our matches in that MU tend to be ******** one way or the other. In the serious ones, it's been ******** because while Mario can live forever by avoiding the obvious kill moves, Snake lives even longer for the exact same reason, and Snake has a lot more kill moves than Mario, and by the time you reach the 150-160% mark, you have to be careful of just about everything. Plus if Snake can refresh his Ftilt then you are pretty much ****ed.

"What Sakurai hopes to do is have t...n't seen it: [url]http://youtu.be/4e3qaPg_keg ) might make a good commercial when they release it to capture the casual market, but why are you going to a gaming convention advertising things like that it can draw and play Reversi? The people watching don't give 2 ****s about that.

Also, does anyone else see this video as a Wii add-on commercial as much as a Wii U trailer? Just look at the thing at 1:53. That whole thing combined has to cost like $400-500 just to zap some Miis in windows?

I'm also laughing at the Wiifit board part. Stay in shape by standing on the board and looking at your controller!

On a side note, the group at 2:50 has apparently never seen a bird before in their life.

The Zelda game did look good though.
To be fair, it will have both a Smash game and a Zelda game, so I will probably roll over, put on some lube and happily let them **** me.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
Nintendo could had came up with a better name then "wii U" They should of name it "Wii 2"
or something like that @ least. :roll:

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
I'm soooooooo buying the 3DS version. Then the Wii U version of Smash.

To those of you who are unaware, Sakurai hasn't begun development yet.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
I'm soooooooo buying the 3DS version. Then the Wii U version of Smash.

To those of you who are unaware, Sakurai hasn't begun development yet.
I already know that smash 4 isn't in development yet. Funny how everyone
got so hype like they're gonna see a trailer during E3. :lol:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Nintendo could had came up with a better name then "wii U" They should of name it "Wii 2"
They're both lame names IMO :p

Heh, I will probably get a Wii U specifically for Smash and Zelda. I'm sold on the 3DS after E3 though. I hadn't really given a **** before, but it's finally starting to get pretty sweet looking games.

You know, there's really just two characters I REALLY want in this Smash (If they even matter since you're going to apparently build your own, which IMO kind of kills the whole game's premise). For one, I want a Paper Mario, but done well. I don't want a cloned Mario. He could be a really cool character if done right IMO.

The second... well, do I even need to tell you? ;)
HENSHIN A GO-GO BABY!

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Whenever I see the name, I just can't help but imagine in my head Falco or Fox going

Wheeeeeeee!~ UPSMASH!!!!

UberMario

Smash Master
Sorry for not posting lately, guys. I've been losing the Smash spirit. :(

Especially after the new rule changes . . . . . .

steep

Smash Lord
So I am going to SiiS5 tomorrow! Hopefully I will do well. This is my first tourney in a while, and I have been practicing a lot so we'll see how I do.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So guys, im going to an all nighter smash fest, gonna hopefully get some Mario play in and get stuff recorded.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
I was surprised that Nintendo called the new console Wii U, I thought they were going to name it Nintendo Stream, sounds much more better in my opinion.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Hello everybody. I have recently become a Mario mainer and new to the Mario community, looking forward to brawling other Mario mainers and pick up some advice from them. I have looked up guides and videos on Mario combos, strategies, and tricks to improve my Mario. But, I have this thing that bothers me, B sticking. Does it give some advantages for Mario, defense, offense, some helpful mind games of some sort? Or, should I stick to smashes for easier combos, easier stutter stepping, and boost walking? And why is tap jump horrible, I use tap jump and don't see any problems with it.

Top Bottom