• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
It can if you haven't practiced with it.

It can also cause problems recovering and getting out of CGs. There've been times where I've died because I thought I had my double jump, but I had already used it while trying to upB out of a CG or something.

:phone:

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Yeah don't dj after a chain grab it can really mess you up especially falco at around 39%
to dair is a true set up. Plus if you have pretty late reactions it screws you over.

Lol Delta but who uses it better? :laugh:

steep

Smash Lord
BTW in terms of retreating bair.... trigger jumps are very helpful for me. I use R for Jump and then use analog stick to go in the direction I want to go and flick the C stick back the other way and get a retreating bair that works every time.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
lol from, I already explained that:

My control set is due to playing yoshi, I just am used to it so i use it on everyone.

Tap jump off is almost 100% necessary as, unless you practice at it, yoshi will DJ cancel into egg toss this way when you try to save his jump. B and X are switch not only for more playability, but due to the fact that it makes DR easier. All you have to do is flick your thumb down across Y > B > Down C and you can DR as that input is Jump > Double Jump > Attack and is needed to all be inputted within 7 frames. Most Yoshi mains use these controls. It also makes double jump canceling easier as the jump and special buttons are closer together and dont have other buttons in the way, so you can easily slide your thumb between them.

SKidd

Smash Master
I play default. I use X to jump, except sometimes I use Y-B to quickly jump fireball. And in Melee I use Y button for waveshine, multishine and shdl :3

I always wondered why Firefly did that. Made no sense to me <_<

And holy **** Juxt, that's amazing!

MP8

Smash Journeyman
You should get used to using the C-stick for aerials, it gives you much better control over your aerials. I imagine it would be really hard to space retreating bairs with the analog stick. I use Y to jump and C-stick for all aerials (except for nair and to do thunderboot), and I'm perfectly comfortable with it. You might be hitting the C-stick too hard, or so too long so that why it feels too slow? I just press Y and kinda flick the C-stick upwards to SH upair. If I'm going for an up-air juggle, I just spam flick the C-stick up to buffer the next up-air so I don't have to time it. I usually flick it 3 times to do a 2 up-air juggle.

It might maybe be the way you're holding the controller? My thumb never rests on the controller at all, it kind of just hovers on slightly above A and B. I just quickly tap the Y button and instantly put my thumb on the B button, and by doing that I can pretty much do anything in the SH since the C-stick is so close. I pretty much do all that out of muscle memory, I only actually looked at my hands while playing about 5 minutes ago to see how it's like :p

If up-air -> uptilt is hard for you, then you can use C-stick for up-tilt too. Just hold up on the analog stick, and flick up on the C-stick and you should uptilt. I personally don't, but if that's what you want then :p

I use my controller the default way, cept for tap jump, I turned that off.

I'd say you should just get used to C-stick for aerials, you might not see it or feel it right away, but you get MUCH better control when you do. For an immediate example, go up-air juggle ganon at low %, sometimes he falls too fast for your next up-air. If you use C-stick, you can easily fast fall to connect your next hit.

I think when I needed to get used to using C-stick for aerials, I used Marth and just practiced spacing with fairs until I was pretty comfortable with it, and then it just automatically transferred over with all my other aerials. Think you should try what I did.
As I was saying, I've been using the c stick more now and have been overall, mixing it up for specific moments. However, I'm still using the A/analog slightly more just because I'm just so used to it. I've been doing A LOT more retreating b-airs which is good. Its just a matter of getting comfortable.

I have definitely taken the way I hold the controller into consideration. I was even thinking I should try the "claw" method so I could use my index finger for jump and keep my thumb for the aerials and whatnot. But knowing that is a significant change and also that its not really necessary, I decided not to pursue it. That's a pretty good point about the thumb. I do tend to rest it on the A/Y buttons. But it makes more sense to keep it half way above for swift reactions.

Well I was referring to the up tilt and up-airs being hard with tap jump on. I can do them just fine but how do you get a guarenteed up tilt with tap jump on? I know that if you slightly tap up, it should work but its easier said than done, especially when you're in the heat of the moment. But yeah, that was about the default controllers with tap jump on more rather than myself.

I've definitely noticed fast falling to be easier, no doubt. I'll just keep practicing and finding a comfort spot. I'll give your method a try as well. Anything to get over this unfortunate problem of mine. Thanks.

DtJ XeroXen

The biggest fraud
NNID
XeroXen
You just tilt up to uptilt with tap jump on. It's easy for me anyway. :/ But maybe that's due to the fact that I hold the joystick with two fingers rather than just my thumb. I use index and thumb, index on top and thumb on bottom. Lots of control there. Also I'm amazing at this game for no reason. At least with Mario >_>

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
You have to play a lot to get used to it. After awhile of playing, muscle memory kicks in and you don't have to focus so much on how to tilt the control stick for an utilt.

Figure out which habits you want to form and which you want to break, then just do it. The sooner you begin, the sooner it gets natural to you.

I will say that claw has worked out very well for me. Shield with L, jump with X...it's completely natural for me now. Plenty of aerial control, and it helped with my execution a ton.

The only issue that I've ever had is with grabs. In Melee, I had a hard time CGing with mario cuz I had to reposition my hand to JC grab. Even that got natural after awhile, though.

:phone:

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Speaking of habits, http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=301740

^ This is a good thread to read. :)

Oh, btw. What if i told you guys that there is a POSSIBILITY that dtm 4 can happen
& i know someone that can get it done for us?

Oh yeah I read that yesterday, it really is a good blog to replace some habits you might
have. If you do know someone that could do that then...

:estatic:

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
The only habit I have is air dodging towards the opponent hoping they'll whiff and I can a few hits off.

Hurts more than it helps.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
lol from, I already explained that:

Come on now, you know I don't believe in literacy.
Oh you people and your reading. Psh...

I have a huge bad habit too: Sucking at this game, and consequently not playing it much anymore.

steep

Smash Lord
The only habit I have is air dodging towards the opponent hoping they'll whiff and I can a few hits off.

I do this too. I have a bad habit of air dodging towards an opponent when I'm trying to get back to the ground. It's just not good to be above someone in this game generally....

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I rarely ever spotdodge. My main bad habit is being over-technical, and playing too seriously all the time.

I also abuse shield a lot. 8 out of 10 times I recommend that over spotdodge personally. Most characters can't kill you for shielding as long as you angle shield well (which reminds me, save B-throw more for kills). More can kill you easily for spotdodging recklessly.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
nah maybe, i'd use mario more if he wasn't such a bad character. sigh ;[
Fixed

Hello everybody. I have recently become a Mario mainer and new to the Mario community, looking forward to brawling other Mario mainers and pick up some advice from them. I have looked up guides and videos on Mario combos, strategies, and tricks to improve my Mario. But, I have this thing that bothers me, B sticking. Does it give some advantages for Mario, defense, offense, some helpful mind games of some sort? Or, should I stick to smashes for easier combos, easier stutter stepping, and boost walking? And why is tap jump horrible, I use tap jump and don't see any problems with it.
Welcome new Marty-o

soo we lost another mod? lul back to the old times.
Gonna go for a new mod? I'll do it since I'm very active. I basically check these boards daily when I have internet (I didn't have any this past week)

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?

I have this problem...only it's enhanced times a bajillion if they're charging something.

You wouldn't believe how many Fsmashes and Usmashes I've airdodged into...trying to get a free smash or something in to punish them...

I've dropped tourney matches this way, lmfao.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
I stopped doing that a long time ago lol
now I just do aerials or attacks into them instead. Especially on the ledge, Matador fed me so many fsmashes to the face on wifi

Top Bottom