• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Boards: General Discussion

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I personally dont use b sticking, but im not really the one to come to for control advice, i mean, I press X to use my special attacks lol.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
B set to jump is interesting and didn't occur to me, though I find that the Y button is perfectly sufficient for reaching both the A and the X button at the same time, so I use that as my jump button.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
How i use my Gc controller.......?

Everything default but the tap jump button. C-stick is best for mario combos for most ppl that didn't know.

- Theelitebrawler -

Smash Apprentice
NNID
theelitebrawler
Hey everyone! I actually am not new to the smash community, I have been on Aib since 09 so I know a lot of people actually so just hit me up.

Oh and I play default, yeah I use C stick. I agree its best for combos Imo.

Cezz624

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cezz624
3DS FC
2964-9447-5535
Ah, ok, I tested some configurations and I have to agree, X for specials is pretty good, but with tap jump off, it's a little hard to move Mario while throwing fireballs. And I tried B sticking, it makes Mario's cape glide on and off stage easier, and when Mario capes in air, he gets to move backwards while facing forward, but other than that, it's not very useful. I am just going to stick to the default controls. And thanks for the friendly welcome Coolwhip, happy to be here!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
X to specials. It's the only way to play. I don't know how you guys can play with tap jump on though. I can't stand it on any character.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
X for specials is godlike, but I don't use it. Too lazy to get used to it, even though it'll probably only take 4-5 games.

steep

Smash Lord
I use Y for special, and R for Jump, and tap jump off. Y is really nice for SH Fireballs. And R to jump is awesome for OOS options. I also can't stand tap jump.

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
GGs Matador, I feel like I get much better as a player every time i play against you :p

My internet is being laggy as hell :/

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I figured that was you...couldn't remember whose tag that was, lol.

Yeah, ggs definitely. I remember you saying at one point that you don't like Mario dittos very much, so I decided to bring out my loltastic secondaries so you wouldn't get bored.

My MK is beyond words...

@ everyone: How do you upB OOS without tap jump? That's prolly the main reason Xero leaves it on, lol.

:phone:

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
Your MK is...... godly :awesome:

Slide your finger from Y -> X(set to special) to upb OoS without tapjump on :p
That's why I should have it done

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Really? I just started playing him not too long ago, lol.

Trying to learn all my bad match-ups by playing the characters...Falco's next...

:phone:

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
My control set is due to playing yoshi, I just am used to it so i use it on everyone.

Tap jump off is almost 100% necessary as, unless you practice at it, yoshi will DJ cancel into egg toss this way when you try to save his jump. B and X are switch not only for more playability, but due to the fact that it makes DR easier. All you have to do is flick your thumb down across Y > B > Down C and you can DR as that input is Jump > Double Jump > Attack and is needed to all be inputted within 7 frames. Most Yoshi mains use these controls. It also makes double jump canceling easier as the jump and special buttons are closer together and dont have other buttons in the way, so you can easily slide your thumb between them.

MP8

Smash Journeyman
Hey, its TEB! Welcome man! :D

About the configurations. I don't know why but my reflexes have gotten worse since I've been relying on the A button and analog stick to do my aerials. (with tap jump off) I recently got back into using the c stick for aerials but its hard to get out of old habits and I've still been doing the A/Analog stick combo.

Is this a problem at all? And if it is or can be, is there a way to undo it? I've been having trouble specifically on Up-Airs with the c stick. Is it because I rely soley on the Y button for my jumps and the two buttons are too far apart? I feel that I can execute my SH up-airs faster with the A/analog. I have tried switching specials and jump the other way around to see if it would be more effective. It felt weird and I'm too lazy to get used to it. I even tried to go back to Melee for a little to get used to the original, default controls but I still find it challanging to get my up airs out quickly and to up tilt. Its just inconvenient right now so should I just mess with the configuration? Use defaults? Or keep it the way I have it and just do it old fashioned by practicing more?

JuxtaposeX

Smash Lord
You should get used to using the C-stick for aerials, it gives you much better control over your aerials. I imagine it would be really hard to space retreating bairs with the analog stick. I use Y to jump and C-stick for all aerials (except for nair and to do thunderboot), and I'm perfectly comfortable with it. You might be hitting the C-stick too hard, or so too long so that why it feels too slow? I just press Y and kinda flick the C-stick upwards to SH upair. If I'm going for an up-air juggle, I just spam flick the C-stick up to buffer the next up-air so I don't have to time it. I usually flick it 3 times to do a 2 up-air juggle.

It might maybe be the way you're holding the controller? My thumb never rests on the controller at all, it kind of just hovers on slightly above A and B. I just quickly tap the Y button and instantly put my thumb on the B button, and by doing that I can pretty much do anything in the SH since the C-stick is so close. I pretty much do all that out of muscle memory, I only actually looked at my hands while playing about 5 minutes ago to see how it's like :p

If up-air -> uptilt is hard for you, then you can use C-stick for up-tilt too. Just hold up on the analog stick, and flick up on the C-stick and you should uptilt. I personally don't, but if that's what you want then :p

I use my controller the default way, cept for tap jump, I turned that off.

I'd say you should just get used to C-stick for aerials, you might not see it or feel it right away, but you get MUCH better control when you do. For an immediate example, go up-air juggle ganon at low %, sometimes he falls too fast for your next up-air. If you use C-stick, you can easily fast fall to connect your next hit.

I think when I needed to get used to using C-stick for aerials, I used Marth and just practiced spacing with fairs until I was pretty comfortable with it, and then it just automatically transferred over with all my other aerials. Think you should try what I did.

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
All this talk about controller configurations is making my head hurt. @___@ *Pukes*
*Cleans it up with the cape* *Looks @ everyone* What?!

Coolwhip

Smash Champion
NNID
Co0lwhip
My controller is default. Pretty much has been since melee.
I don't play with the "Tap jump" button hate it really. Mess up my u-tilt start up combos.

C-stick is a MUST USE for mario mains for air combos & studder step f-smash.
Improves you're overall skill with mario imo.

:mario2: <---He's really god-tier, but no one kares.

Oh, mario mains is da bess. I wanna get that out of the way. xD

Top Bottom