• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mangos Falco Advice

`DNS`

Smash Lord
dont use d tilt/up smash liek that tooo much cuz u gott better options. usually at non teching % its better to grab f throw if they dont tech spiek it then the spike pops em up for a f smash. thats if ur shine cant reach. usaully if ur near the edge spike to f throw ***** apcies. u can gimp em bad.
oya i guess that works too lol

i'm not too good with falco's grab game, gotta work on that

Life After Death

Smash Champion
up throw is good if their under nontech % cuz u can up throw jump shine thne and start the waveshine combo. dont try to f throw much if they aint at teching %. f throw is useful when they can tech out of it. if they dont tech out of it for for a spike if they tech f smash tech chase. if they tech too far from u run up and spike em then it popos em up 4 a f smash and u get the kill. this mostly applies to spacies.

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
What is a good idea against a Doc that uses more pills than Michael Jackson? Too soon?

But seriously, Doc's lame. I need help.

Spaceman_Spiff

Smash Cadet
Thanks everyone who replied, the Doc in question is obviously a better player than I am, so I'm sure that the easy answer is "get better".

The bairs seem like a good idea, I seemed to have the most luck platform camping and spacing bairs. I will watch those vids for sure PB&J, thanks.

What about stages? I banned FD and took him to Battlefield when I fought him in tourney, I was considering Yoshi's but I was afraid of suicides, I was SDing a lot that day.

Mikey Lenetia

Smash Champion
NNID
MikeyLenetia
I agree.

I didn't Pokefloats Mikey Lenitia after he Mute Citied me at SNES and I'm convinced that that decision cost me the match. do what you gotta do I guess...
It's Lenetia, by the way. :p

I forget what we banned... and for some reason forgot that Pokefloats was even legal at SNES. Ah well. You almost beat me at Mute with Marth, if I remember right... But I could be wrong.

blast_ssbb

Smash Ace
so im like in love wit jungle japes now, im debating using it as a counterpick opinions? i like all the different ledges for recovering to and the river when im too far lets me firebird to just the right angle, also when ppl have too good DI, nairs lead into dairs right over the water, and if all else fails aweseom room for camping.

opinions?

MaNg0

Smash Hero
wellll my whole opinion

on counter picks is pretty much whatever u feel comfy with

i like corneria and yoshis =D

they sometimes may not be the best

but i like em =D

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
who is chops on the boards

mango if im gonna fight samus (since i cant really beat her with ic's all the time) with falco, and i wanna approach

is there a safe way to get on her shield? or should i just not attack her shield? like in case of up-B. i know samus doesnt ALWAYS up B but i just know that she has the option, and i wanna know how to avoid it so i can continue pressuring her. like are dairs or nairs on her shield ever safe? maybe if u space them right?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
on samus...just approach with lasers. if you hit the shield with a laser...don't go any further @.@
hm lasers and bairs

ahah ok

so i basically shouldnt go on top of her shield then

thats what i was asking, thanks :)

ftilt would probably be good too then huh

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
oh D: does it?

well i was thinking like, laser to ftilt, which is a generic safe falco approach against a lot of characters

it would seem hard for samus to respond to that

but yea i getcha (since i have been ftilted by peaches after a laser before i could jab or ftilt myself)

stingers

Smash Obsessed
well...if a samus sees you approaching with a laser...they're either gonna wait in shield to see if you approach more or retreat because samus can't compete with falco like that...

if you ftilt their shield you'll usually be fine (unless you're playing hugs or something and he'll prolly up-b your ftilt cuz he's hugs), if they wd back oos and you ftilt the air thats when they can start bein aggressive...ftilt is fast but samus has some pretty fast stuff too

just be careful

JPOBS

Smash Hero
lol i love how on smashboards, people ALWAYS show up in the right place at the right time. IHSB, in this thread, right as we start talking bout samus. too good.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Laser -> ftilt tends to work if you space right. Some Samus (me for instance) will be wding out of shield the instant the laser hits, and so you'll land and get hit by the wd back -> *whatever*
So make sure you react to what your opponent is doing. But if you've conditioned them to wait in their shield after the laser, or if they just do it b/c that's how they play, expecting a shffl'd aerial (aka free upB oos), it's a great way to **** with them.

Also you can dair through and past their shield and be safe from the upB. Just don't try your usual pillar ****, it doesn't work.

Also I'm subscribed to this thread because Falco's fun as **** to play and I could always use Mango advice to make mine better.

KILLA.FOR.CASH.

Smash Champion
if u want to beat a samus with falco 100% of the time

dont approach lol just spam lasers. but if u want to be cool and not be gay then its not hard to space aerials on their shield away from their upb range.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
mango you just gained some respect from me

i saw you call hungrybox gay for charging people for housing

good ****

x After Dawn x

Smash Master
so im like in love wit jungle japes now, im debating using it as a counterpick opinions? i like all the different ledges for recovering to and the river when im too far lets me firebird to just the right angle, also when ppl have too good DI, nairs lead into dairs right over the water, and if all else fails aweseom room for camping.

opinions?
Jungle Japes is like Falco's best stage lol

If you can use it well (like Forward used to), then by all means use it. But make sure you don't get ***** / gimped on it, cause Falco can get gimped really easily on it. Also, practice your techs on it if you do use it, I guarantee you it will save your life at some point.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Jungle Japes is like Falco's best stage lol

If you can use it well (like Forward used to), then by all means use it. But make sure you don't get ***** / gimped on it, cause Falco can get gimped really easily on it. Also, practice your techs on it if you do use it, I guarantee you it will save your life at some point.
no it's not, it's not even a good stage for him.

I never once saw Foward CP someone to JJ, I can only think of 1 match where Darkrain took him there and went Fox and got his **** packed in.

Cute Illusion tricks =/= good.

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
no it's not, it's not even a good stage for him.

I never once saw Foward CP someone to JJ, I can only think of 1 match where Darkrain took him there and went Fox and got his **** packed in.

Cute Illusion tricks =/= good.
Thank you lol. It's not even close to an option for him when you could go to a stage like Corneria.

Falcinho

Smash Ace
^this

Marth and Sheik can gimpyou so easily because you can't really mix your recovery up (if you drop into the water you usualy die) + Sheik can camp on the side platforms pretty well (avoid lasers by going onto the ledge

Fox has Shine

Peach/Jiggs are hard to gimp if they aren't stupid + jiggs can stay invincible if she wants to be gay

yeah that's it
I usually pick Marth there and try to get grabs near the ledges of the big central platform.
This way i won a friendly against Falco in 0:32 xP
dthrow --> water edgeguard
dthrow --> klaptrap edgeguard
SD from Falco
dthrow --> fsmash

=D

soap

Smash Hero
hm lasers and bairs

ahah ok

so i basically shouldnt go on top of her shield then

thats what i was asking, thanks :)

ftilt would probably be good too then huh
use those lil baby jump advancing lasers

then after a laser at the right distance, shine turn sh backwards and space falling bair.

dont do rising bair asap unless u read a jump. delay the bair for pressure

AS far as japes. I think its pretty good for falco. he can laser camp and wall bairs to make it hard to approach over the pits. then illusion tricksy runaway tactics.

i took cosmo to japes once and he went falco. i needled his illusion tricks for gimps a couple times lmao.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Japes for falco is ridiculous, he can move so fast around that stage.

Sox

Smash Journeyman
Dear Mango or any other Falco player who knows their ****,
I'm just learning falco and am going to try to use him as my main. however, I have some issues that i really need help with. First off, **** peach and marth. What do I do with a marth who simply camps the ledge? I always seem to fall into a trap and get ***** in that situation. And my issue with peach is my approach. I'm not as consistent with my L-canceling as I want to be, and because of that, her Dsmash is quite scary. Is there any way to deal with her until i become more proficient with my l-canceling?

Sincerely,
Sox

blast_ssbb

Smash Ace
I'm just learning falco and am going to try to use him as my main. however, I have some issues that i really need help with. First off, **** peach and marth. What do I do with a marth who simply camps the ledge? I always seem to fall into a trap and get ***** in that situation. And my issue with peach is my approach. I'm not as consistent with my L-canceling as I want to be, and because of that, her Dsmash is quite scary. Is there any way to deal with her until i become more proficient with my l-canceling?

Sincerely,
Sox
well mogwai is just gonna tell u to camp moar wit lasers and mangos gonna tell u to get better :D which is prob the best advice any of us can give u.

if anything dont go for the shine after u approach wit dair or nair so if u miss the l cancel u dont eat 6 hits from her downsmash and honestly just tell ur friend whos camping the ledge to stop camping or ur gonna camp him and hes gonna get the short end of the deal if u play on a big stage like dreamland, ps, or corneria.

falco is actually prob one of the easier chars to commit to finger memory so just practice practice practice!

on the subject of jungle japes:

mogwai - i gave many reasons why i liked it, i guess i shouldve asked for counter thoughts instead of opinions cuz just "its a bad stage for him" doesnt really help me understand where ur coming from

falcinho - everything u mentioned about the high tiers they have on every other stage except that other stages dont give u 6 ledges to recover to so ur much moar limited in ur options. any char isnt gonna camp a ledge without some kind of cool trick like shieks up b stalling cuz unless they maintain perma invincibility (which makes them predictable) then the klaptrap will screw them up. plus that example u gave of marth vs falco makes it seem like that falco is either a lvl 1 cp or doesnt know how to fight marth if he keeps running into grabs on the edge. i mean regardless of the stage u do that on ur dead.

I am in no way trying to flame anyone im just giving counter arguments cuz im really curious about jungle japes as ive had quite a bit of success on it vs c.falcon, jiggs, and marth. meh watever ill be the only falco that likes that stage :D

quick edit: idk how all of u can agree that pokefloats is good but jungle japes gets u gimped >.> i think all the high tiers except peach have much easier time vs u on pokefloats :D

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to

Sincerely,
Sox
CAMP MOAR!

seriously though, there's no solution for not being able to consistently l-cancel. if you try to adjust your game around your inability to l-cancel, it'll hurt you in the long run once you get it down as you'll now have terrible habits that you developed to deal with your temporary problem. Just play play play and use dair -> shine and dair -> dtilt vs. CCing peaches until you get it down. Trust me, eating 60% for every failed l-cancel will just be a good incentive to learn how to do it.

Marth cannot camp you. you have a gun, you shoot him and then look at him while he sits by the ledge. you look at him all dai, all 7 minutes if you have to, but there is no reason for the guy with the gun to let the other guy pick his spots. the whole reason you have your neutral B is to pick the spots where you are inevitably going to 0-death your opponent, so it should never be by the edge because Falco is not comfortable there. You can be civil and just tell the guy to stop camping you, but I'm a big advocate of the "**** that, I'm gonna shoot the **** out of you in friendlies" approach to dealing with other forms of camping.

well mogwai is just gonna tell u to camp moar wit lasers and mangos gonna tell u to get better :D which is prob the best advice any of us can give u.

if anything dont go for the shine after u approach wit dair or nair so if u miss the l cancel u dont eat 6 hits from her downsmash and honestly just tell ur friend whos camping the ledge to stop camping or ur gonna camp him and hes gonna get the short end of the deal if u play on a big stage like dreamland, ps, or corneria.

falco is actually prob one of the easier chars to commit to finger memory so just practice practice practice!

on the subject of jungle japes:

mogwai - i gave many reasons why i liked it, i guess i shouldve asked for counter thoughts instead of opinions cuz just "its a bad stage for him" doesnt really help me understand where ur coming from

falcinho - everything u mentioned about the high tiers they have on every other stage except that other stages dont give u 6 ledges to recover to so ur much moar limited in ur options. any char isnt gonna camp a ledge without some kind of cool trick like shieks up b stalling cuz unless they maintain perma invincibility (which makes them predictable) then the klaptrap will screw them up. plus that example u gave of marth vs falco makes it seem like that falco is either a lvl 1 cp or doesnt know how to fight marth if he keeps running into grabs on the edge. i mean regardless of the stage u do that on ur dead.

I am in no way trying to flame anyone im just giving counter arguments cuz im really curious about jungle japes as ive had quite a bit of success on it vs c.falcon, jiggs, and marth. meh watever ill be the only falco that likes that stage :D

quick edit: idk how all of u can agree that pokefloats is good but jungle japes gets u gimped >.> i think all the high tiers except peach have much easier time vs u on pokefloats :D
because Pokefloats is infinitely huge and you never have to stop running away. you can also camp sections of pokefloats such that your opponent can only approach you vertically where Falco is the best (dair + utilt = get *****). peach won't gimp me on Pokefloats, I know the stage and how to be a huge campy dickbag, the stages are so different in how you play them that they aren't even comparable.

Japes is just random and silly. Illusion tricks are cute, but they're not really useful vs. people who know what they're doing, and that's the only thing that's unique to Japes. ultimately, it doesn't provide any truly useful advantages that you wouldn't get from say Dreamland or Kongo Jungle, and in the meantime, you have to deal with the fact that you're stuck in a game of Russian Roulette with your opponent in who's gonna get ****ed by Klap Trap first.

Sox

Smash Journeyman
Mogwai, thanks for the advice. Also, it's not that I can't Lcancel, it's just that i really don't like taking that 60% if i mess it up, so i was looking for ways around it. And for the marth, what I ment was that if the marth gets a stock lead, he just camps the ledge making me approach. Is there any way around that? If not, what can I do to bring them up to the middle of the stage?

Top Bottom