• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 8: -TOP 50 POSTED-

JOE!

Smash Hero
HR, i was gonna comment your latest set...but have been busy with **** today

so instead I got you this:

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Helios is pretty cool, in my opinion. The swarmbots are an interesing concept, and you use them well. Managing the swarmbots seems fairly easy and balanced since you can't exhaust them all at once. I'll agree with Warlord on that the grab game is unique and interesting, and I like it (I guess he can do it in-game?). Well, there's my two cents. I like Helios more than Axel and way more than Salamence, so he has a good chance of getting into my voting list. Well done, H_R.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
HELIOS
I remembered hearing you were up to something, HR, so it's good to see it finally pan out in the form of Helios. Anyways, I have to echo both MW and Khold in saying that the grab-game is fascinating, but the mechanic seems just a bit superfluous for a move that's sole purpose is to KO. Since Helios lacks too many KO moves, I might make those he does have slightly more accessible. Whatever. That's my main gripe after my first read.

What I adore about the set is the Swarmbots. Coming from a guy who likes to take relatively un-touched elements of Smash and work them into my sets (e.g. Zinger's aerial focus), it's great to see a set with plenty of intricate focus on underlings. I mean, screw Pain and Panic, this is how you -do- it. My favorite aspect of the Swarmbots is that they take conscious thought to play with, rather than simply tapping the C-Stick as Olimar to win matches (works rather well when you're stuck with casuals (rolleyes)). The adaptable playstyle reminds me of Morton in a way, which is a good thing. At this point, I'd place Helios in the upper echelon of sets so far. Good on you, considering the time you took off from the contest.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Hey, a set by Hyper_Ridley! Wait a minute...(wary) I can't believe I just did that

Before I read Helios, I just want to know: how far from the Ghor boss fight is the Helios fight? My brother and I are sort of playing through MP3 (borrowed from a friend), and I think beating Ghor was one of the last things he did in the game (or going through Bryyo Ice or something). I think I'd be able to appreciate your moveset more after actually going through that part in the game. :bee:
*gets out Metroid Prime 3 guide* (wary)

It's not extremley long, though there is still a bit to go. I beat MP3 in 4 days so it can't be THAT long, lol.

Thanks to everybody who has commented on mah set so far. I agree that the grab is wonky, but it's one of his more memorable attacks from the fight and I didn't want to turn any of his A moves into a mini-moveset, and this way I also got all the throws to write themselves (h).

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
If you're using quick reply to post, there's a checkbox underneath it that says "show your signature". Check it.

Otherwise, maybe the sig is too big. There's a size limit on them, but I don't know what it is.

And for future reference, it's better to use the edit button on posts instead of double/triple posting.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
[collapse=Laying down a massive amount of text so I'm ripping off Rool again (wary)]
Sarisa

Like Dionysus, I'd describe Sarisa as odd. While what you've done with chaingrabbing is unique, to be sure, it stumbles mechanically. Her earlier potential KO is a fully charged Gigrants at 110%, but you say that the chaingrab only works at "low percentages". While she has her incredible tilts and such to bridge the gap, it's really not quite as focused on chaingrabbing as a set based on chaingrabbing should be. And as MT said, why not use the tilts and aerials in the first place? The best excuse you can come up with is the somewhat contrived Grants delayed stun, which can be easily dodged in different fashions. Granted, the second version of Grants can mix it up a little, but you're entirely guessing at what the foe's going to do. The Grants delay stun could still help Sarisa a lot, which is sort of an incentive to chaingrab, but to get the foe's percentage down enough to chaingrab Sarisa only has her pummel, which is very counterintuitive, since as you heal the foe they'll be able to escape from the grab even quicker. Not to mention that you're required to nerf yourself to chaingrab...

On the other hand, she's extremely underpowered when it comes to KOing. Her two KO moves can't even beat the laggiest Smash in the game in speed, and they aren't even that powerful. Heck, they might even be underpowered, given their low damage and somewhat high KO percentages.

I have a handful of other small complaints. Resta and Anti has too much lag to be pulled off in a serious match, and even if it didn't Sarisa should still have a conventional recovery, even if it's a weak one, so she isn't utterly screwed offstage. The random effect on the Back Throw is both strange and useless, as Sarisa can inflict Self Buff and Self Debuff on herself already without the need to assume she can land the NAir. Finally, I'm sort of disappointed by the lack of a playstyle section. Even if you went over some things in your bite-sized tidbits, an actual section would help to bring things together.

Don't get me wrong, what you've done with chaingrabbing is very interesting. As MT said, with the correct emphasis and polish, I could enjoy this a lot more. Unfortunately, it just ends up convoluted and unworkable. That being said, it's certainly much better than Jason and it was certainly a fun read, so I'll still say good job.​

Gengar

This is definitely one of the best newcomer sets, I want to make that clear. I'm going to comment it as a regular set and it might not come across that positive, but I want you to know that you did an excellent job for your experience.

My first problem is presentation. No, not organization; that's actually good by any standard, though you could stand to use some color codes since some of the colors you used don't show up on SWF's dark background particularly well. I just think you could have made it a little more clear that when you said "dash" it didn't mean a Dash Attack but the dashing version of a move. I didn't realize what you meant until partway into the Standards, by which point I thought he had three dash attacks.

But that dash really is something special. It's sort of odd that you tell us that it gives him super armor with finality and then tell us that attacks which hit him can deal double damage, but it's overall really interesting and gives Gengar some character. There's something about dashing about as a malevolent little specter that feels really distinctly Gengar.

There are some oddly implemented moves (Protect... Gengar making a ghostly nail thing doesn't really feel like Gengar or feel like Protect o_o) and a combo section could really help explain just how he can combo, but it's overall not bad by any standard and certainly excellent for a newcomer. Nice job, wrk (Y)​

Hannibal Bean

Am I really the only one who didn't watch this show?

So from what I can tell he's just an oversized hairy bean with tentacles. The "manual momentum" theme is very interesting, and probably in-character, though I'd of course have no idea about the latter, and as always, the playstyle and matchups are very well-written. It's all very well thought-out. There are some moves that feel a little out of place for their inputs such as the Down Smash portals, but it's not that big of a complaint.

I don't have much to say that's negative about Hannibal, really, which is a good sign. It didn't wow me quite as much as Dark Bowser, but it's still a very solid entry from you. Again, nice job.​

Item Tree

What a strange set, again... I disagree with random luck in a 1vs1 fighting game match, but HR already expressed that much better than I could have and it's a pretty indirect criticism, so I'll leave it at that.

The main meat of the set is sort of uninteresting beyond the items, but unless you had her chucking out specific items for every move (which would defeat the concept, even if I disagree with it) there's not much to be done with a tree, and there's nothing unfitting for a tree but the Up Aerial (granted it's an OC so you could argue it's in character). Hell, I'm impressed by what you managed to come up with... even if it needs damage percentages.

If I have any criticism, it's what HR said - I don't like how much you changed the properties of the items. It sort of takes away from bringing items into regular matches when most of them are either nerfed or changed in properties (though you don't do the latter that much). It's also sort of confusing when you don't really apply any nerfs to items like the Exploding Crate, seeing them in the list sort of makes me expect that they're changed.

That being said, after Doppelori somebody had to bring items into matches somehow, and it's only natural that it would be you. It doesn't feel as natural as Doppelori, but when Doppelori did it with only one item (granted, it's the most powerful item... and one that Item Tree doesn't have) and Item Tree does it with all of them but one, it's not going to feel that natural and it's probably as natural as possible anyway. Nice job.​

Red

You've certainly improved a lot in terms of presentation. There are still some kinks to work out in your writing style and the mechanic is a little awkwardly described, but those damn missing capitals are gone and I don't need to tell you how great the headers look. I hate to waste a paragraph talking about "orgy nations", but you've just improved so much here that I can't help but acknowledge it.

I'll go over each Pokemon individually. First, Pikachu... I unfortunately can't really refute anyone in saying that Pikachu is easily the weakest one. There are some plenty awesome and creative moves in there like Iron Tail... they just fail to flow into any sort of playstyle. Yes, I'm repeating everyone else, so I'll try and say something different. I'm a little confused by the Static mini-mechanic. What exactly do you mean by "paralyzed"? I started out assuming it would be something like a Deku Nut, but when you say Thunder Wave induces it for 10-20 seconds it can't be like a Deku Nut... I think. Also, you say it's there to prevent comboes - how is Pikachu really threatened by those to begin with more than any other character?

Lapras is much better, though not amazing. Perish Song has a sort of telegraphed effect and works pretty much identically to how it did when Politoed used it in your Gold trainer moveset, but it's nice to see the effect used in something more relevant. More thoughts... I'm sort of worried about Ice Beam's balance. It has a long range and it doesn't sound that difficult to land it for two seconds if you track the foe's DI. Also, some of the interactions with Ice Beam seem a little repetitive. Also, Shell Armor is pretty much an afterthought, as everyone else pointed out. Still, it's a solid set and the best in Red, which could have done much better on its own.

And then we have Charizard... who I don't hate to nearly the degree I hate Blaziken and Infernape. (wary) I agree with filip that SmokeScreen is an odd move for Charizard to focus so much on, but I can't begrudge you too heavily for it. My main problem is that when you get down to it, Charizard's air game really isn't that good. He can stay up in the air for a while, but he doesn't seem any more formidable there than on the ground. Still, Charizard isn't outright bad like Pikachu, though nowhere as good as Lapras.

As opposed to most other trainer sets barring Team Rocket Grunt, Red's playstyle actually isn't just "tHr33 cH4r4C13rs!". Granted, there aren't that many interactions... but they certainly cover each other's weaknesses as you show in the playstyle section. The playstyle section was actually very well written, by the way, as were your matchups, considering they're your first. Nice job, Twilty!​

Sho

Yay a newcomer! As several people pointed out, Sho's been made twice before, but that's fine - we don't mind repeated characters as long as there are sufficient differences between them, I just wanted to point that out =P

There are a couple of ways you could improve your future movesets from Sho. Firstly, you might think that the appearence of a set has no impact on how it's recieved, but that's not true - organization won't cover up for serious flaws in the moveset, but it helps to attract people and keep them reading. You mainly need to size up the move headers and have them stick to one color for them to stick out more. I linked to Swalot earlier and he's a good example of simple, readable organization (link coming in a moment). You also might want to work on your writing style, as there are several run-ons such as When you get the smash ball, Sho shoots a white line strait in front of him, it has infinite range, kind of like light arrows, and it also shoots forward instantly, right when it touches someone, the whole screen turns white for a couple of seconds, and when the screen comes back, the target get's hit 65-70% and is launched far to the side, and if the person had 0%, it can kill if the person didn't try to recover, but it doesn't kill instantly, again, only if the person didn't try, made a mistake, etc. and some redundant phrases such as The animation of this looks as if a person was reloading a gun in real life.. Um, why wouldn't reloading a gun look like reloading a gun? =P

Also, from what I've gathered from the other two Sho sets, a big part of Sho's character is him summoning Noise. Both of the other two Sho sets were heavily focused on this. Right now, Sho just has one special move for summoning Noise, and that's it. If you made some of the moves interact with the Noise, and tell us the different types of Noise and what they do (plus make the effect less random...), Sho would be a lot more focused on the Noise. This is what we call "playstyle", a character's main theme throughout the set. There's a guide to playstyle written by one of our former leaders which could help you (again, link coming momentarily...) Right now most of Sho's moves are generic punches and kicks, which don't really express his full potential as a character and as a moveset.

So ultimately, while there's some improvement to be done here, Sho is a good place to start. Please stay with us and keep at it and I'm sure you'll improve quicker than any of us can imagine =)​

Exeggutor

Seeing as I was one of the main people to tease MT about the controls-reversed thing (I think...), I like seeing a moveset that actually makes control reversing halfway relevant. I mainly don't like reversing controls because it's a pretty one-dimensional thing to overcome that becomes pointless when the foe practices controlling a character with reversed controls, but it goes much deeper than that here.

Still, there are some things I think could be changed or improved. First, I think Confusion and Egg Bomb could be pretty easily merged into one move. Second, I don't think being Egg Bombed would be all that scary. Even if they're risking hitting themselves with a stronger move, the chance of using the move that Confusion blocks out is pretty low. If they're risking hitting themselves with a weak move, it wouldn't be that scary at all. Of course, not being able to use the move you want to all the time is a bad thing, but I think that would be the hazard more than hitting oneself with a move.

Of course, there's more to Exeggutor than the control reversing/scrambling. The mini-mechanic with the Razor Leafs is pretty interesting and might have carried the set on its own, and all the ways Exeggutor has to screw with controls make him intimidating (not overpowered) to play against. In the end I don't think Exeggutor was as good as your other three sets this contest, but that's understandable when most of the meat of the set was made when he had five team supporters (iirc) and he was still a fun read.​

Dio Brando

I agree with HR and MT; this is probably your best set. I didn't like it all that much, but I didn't hate it at all and it has interesting ideas in it.

To start, the mask is done a lot better than Jason's machete. While trying to get the foe to voluntarily take something for your own benefit is sort of a flawed concept - what's good for Dio is bad for the foe by default - he can actually force them to take the mask, unlike Jason, which makes the move a whole lot more feasible. I think most of the time he'd be forcing on the mask instead of the foe taking it voluntarily, but it's still very much workable.

Anyway, the Romero-esque zombie theme is quite interesting. I never liked Romero -QUITE- as much as most of MYM seemed to, but I still liked it and this is Dio, not Romero anyway... all the ways of interacting with the zombies are very nicely done. However, I have a criticism... there are lots of cool ways of interacting with zombies. Why aren't there more to interact with ZA WARUDO / The World? You have all these cool interactions with the zombies, I don't see why we can't have any with him.

But yeah, definitely your best, so nicely done =)​

Paris and London

A pretty nice way for you to start MYMing, but I have a couple of criticisms. Firstly, you need a little more detail if you want to succeed here. For example, when you tell us they both punch in the Dash Attack, it could be taken to mean any number of things - the first two hits of Mario's Jab Combo, Donkey Kong's Neutral Special, Wario's Forward Tilt, just to name a few. You should also try to mention things like lag and range more often.

You also have some problems with balance. A lot of the damage percentages are really low - the Neutral Aerial and Forward Aerial both do a pathetic 3%, for example. Also, this might go back to detail, but when both of the twins are attacking at once, do they both deal damage? (So each of them uppercut for 5%... does it deal 5% twice for 10% or only once?)

Also, the item stitching is a cool concept, but sort of underwhelming. I only know how one out of hundreds of possible item combinations. Obviously I'm not requesting a list, but you could, say, classify items and say how each class combination works? I dunno, I'm just confused. In addition, items aren't used in serious matches so interacting with them is kinda silly.

That being said, please don't be discouraged! The item stitching really is a cool idea, even if it doesn't work out perfectly, and making an OC takes a lot of guts. I hope you stick around and seeing as you have the next set you obviously have...​

Glameow

I'll unfortunately have to echo the other commenters in saying that Glameow has Pokemon Syndrome. Moves like Mud Shot, Magical Leaf and Psycho Cut don't exactly fit Glameow as a Pokemon, and while there are some fitting Pokemon moves like Fake Out and Hypnosis, having pictures of every Pokemon but Glameow using these moves is a little jarring.

Glameow has a lot more detail than Paris and London, but I'm not sure about your "digest" format, which doesn't get the point across as well as possible. This sort of format would work better if you told us less information in the digest part, so we could skim over the moves and get the main impression, then go over the digest notes and get the details. Still, it's a big improvement over Paris and London.

And you still need a playstyle. Right now, you can just stick to something simple, such as an aerialist. Of course, you're a very new MYMer, so I can't begrudge you too much for this.

Still, Glameow is an improvement over Paris and London, so please don't be discouraged! =)​

Helios

For a set two MYMs old with such a big gap in development, Helios really isn't bad at all. The Swarmbot mechanic is undeniably interesting, and the playstyle, while nothing groundbreaking, actually has flow to it (hopefully I'm not implying your sets usually don't, they're usually very flowing 9_9). The two-tiered playstyle actually reminds me of Cairne, who I, like the rest of MYM, deeply enjoyed, so that's a good thing.

I was actually pretty impressed by all of the ways you managed to manipulate the Swarmbots. Making a platform with your Up Special, making them into a spear with your Forward Tilt, making them into whips with your Down Tilt... admittedly it's mainly the unique ways you managed to make attacks out of them, but really, from what I can gather, it's no more than an orb and a bunch of smaller orbs. I'm impressed by what you managed to do with him.

Complaints... as MW said the grab game isn't that relevant... there are a couple of boring moves like the Back Aerial... I really don't have much negative to say. I wasn't wowed by Helios either, but he's still above Salamence in my mind, and while not as good as Axel, completely capable of standing on its own merits.​
[/collapse]

OOO! Can I have one? Forget this post sorry
Check out my new signature! Its awesome and you know it
Why isnt my signature showing up?
Assuming you were talking about the custom avatars JOE! is making, you'll probably have to tell him what you want for an avatar before he can make one.
And HR is right that there's a size limit on signatures / a check box for signatures / you should use the edit button

Monkey D. AWESOME

Smash Apprentice
Coming to terms with having two people in my mind
So here it is, my 100th post. I was originally going to upload my one-day moveset (Don't worry, Kat; We're still working on our joint), but I think there's something that I need to say.

WHAT HAPPENED TO MYM?!!

Now, I know what you're thinking. And no, this rant isn't about the movesets. This rant isn't about "Sakurai inputs." Nope, this rant is about our ****ing leaders: Warlord, Smady, Rool, etc. They are men who I looked up to when I first joined this site. They are men who have been with this contest since the beginning. They are the highest class of moveset makers.

But as of lately, they are just politicians. I've looked around the thread ant the Stadium, and most of what I see is just one thing: SLANDER, SLANDER, and God**** SLANDER. Not arguments, just leaders slandering leaders. And right now, I don't give a crap about who's right. I just want there to be peace.

Seriously, what happened? Sure, there was arguing in MYM7. But it wasn't nearly as bad as this. In my opinion, Kat deserves to be a leader more than MW or Smady. Why? Because he's actually trying to keep this great contest fun. I'm not so sure about me, because I've already been corrupted by the leader's draconian ways (whatever that means).

Here's the bottom line. It's not the movesets; It's the moveset makers. And Juhanu, I'm not talking to you, because you actually stood up for me and Kat.

MYM'r

Smash Cadet
Glameow
I'll unfortunately have to echo the other commenters in saying that Glameow has Pokemon Syndrome. Moves like Mud Shot, Magical Leaf and Psycho Cut don't exactly fit Glameow as a Pokemon, and while there are some fitting Pokemon moves like Fake Out and Hypnosis, having pictures of every Pokemon but Glameow using these moves is a little jarring.

Glameow has a lot more detail than Paris and London, but I'm not sure about your "digest" format, which doesn't get the point across as well as possible. This sort of format would work better if you told us less information in the digest part, so we could skim over the moves and get the main impression, then go over the digest notes and get the details. Still, it's a big improvement over Paris and London.

And you still need a playstyle. Right now, you can just stick to something simple, such as an aerialist. Of course, you're a very new MYMer, so I can't begrudge you too much for this.

Still, Glameow is an improvement over Paris and London, so please don't be discouraged! =)​

Assuming you were talking about the custom avatars JOE! is making, you'll probably have to tell him what you want for an avatar before he can make one.
And HR is right that there's a size limit on signatures / a check box for signatures / you should use the edit button

Pokemon syndrome crap is gonna stop or I'm not making another Pokeset AND ASSIST IS HER MOVE AND YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT DOES DO YOU? I dont think you do look it up and I based it off the show Glameow. How do you think pikachu got into Smash?

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
A scattered dream that's like a far off memory....

Ventus Playlist. Click here!

Ventus (also known as Ven) is one of the main protagonists in Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. From the view of the story, it is revealed that he is a Keyblade Wielder before Sora and has a strong bond to him, even though they only ever meet through their hearts. Of the trio formed by himself, Terra and Aqua, he is the youngest of the three.

Personality-wise, he has many similarities with Sora; he's sweet, cheerful, curious, and gets excited at anything new or interesting. He also makes new friends easily in different worlds and really cares about his best friends Terra and Aqua, viewing Terra as an older brother. Ventus is very much unable to cope with Terra turning and subsiding to the darkness in his heart. Some of his traits and personality might have passed on to Sora when his heart joined him. Along with his kind personality, he also shows a lot of bravery, especially evident when he battles Vanitas for the final time, where he promises to fight for his friends no matter what, knowing the fact that he would lose his heart as a result. Like all of our Kingdom Hearts protagonists, he bears a Keyblade, albeit a unique one.

His name means "Wind" in Latin. In Super Smash Bros., he'll be bring his Keyblade in to the fray, with a couple tricks up his sleeve...

Size - 7/10
He's slightly shorter than Link's height.

Weight - 5.5/10
Ven is slightly above average here. He can survive a bit longer than Mario.

Power - 5/10
About average here.

Ground Speed - 7/10
He's almost as fast as Marth here.

Attack Speed - 8/10
He hardly has any lag in most of his moves.

Traction - 6/10
He's simply okay here.

Jumps - 6.5/10
He has some somewhat decent jumps here.

Falling Speed - 5/10
Average.

Range - 7.5/10
Also decently good here.

Special Trait - Battle Meter
First of all, Ven fights a bit differently from most brawlers. For starters, when he fighting in an actual match, you'll notice this at the bottom of the screen:

Notice the Keyblade with Ventus' name on? While it looks cool and all, notice the orange part of it. As you can see, the bar is filling up. Now, you can fill up the bar by hitting opponents, and how much depends on the move (blocking prevents bar fillage, though neutral special is the only move that fills bar regardless). What's the point of all this, you ask? Well, when the bar is fully filled up, Ven can utilize his special KO moves, that are, well, better than his regular ones. Watch out though, as the bar drops slowly after 3 seconds, at 1/16th of it per second. However, if you DO manage to max out the bar, you are allowed to still perform the move, as long as the bar doesn't drop to absolute zero. The bar can be filled up to 3 times in a row.

Now here comes the interesting part. Now, if you fill up the bar fully, but then notice that it starts shining, Ven will not do his finishing attack, but instead, will transform into something! While doing so, Ven has super armor. Now, how does he exactly transform you ask? Well, if you manage to fill the bar up with at least 1/3rd the way with one of his special moves, he'll be able to transform. This will give him some different moves, replacing his regular one with new skills as well. Now, filling it with his side special will transform into his "Cyclone" form, where as the up special gets him "Air Rider", and the down special gives him "Wing Blade." In the event of 2 special moves filling up the bar by 1/3rd each, the latest one will take effect. We'll get to more on that later in a bit, but note that while transformed, the bar will go 1/8th when losing it, when filling up the bar, Ven is able to get a second bar, thus being able to prolong the move, and they only have 1 finishing move.

Now, what these finishing moves are depends on how many bars you filled up. You can perform these moves by pressing the B button, in a similar fashion when using final smashes. Now let's see what these moves are:

1 Bar- Wind Strike:
Ven moves forward a stage builder and begins by slashing wildly with his keyblade horizontally 3 times while doing so, with each slash dealing about 5-6% damage each. This has very little lag at both ends. Ventus also has super armor throughout the entire move. Now the cool part about the move is that at the last slash, it deals off decent horizontal diagonally downwards knockback, meaning this attack can be used to spike opponents when recovering.
[ 5-6% x 3]

2 Bars - Explosion:
Ven charges up, and half a second later, he'll take a huge swing of his Keyblade downwards, causing white light pearls resembling the GIF below, to quickly surround him for a second, and anyone within 2 stage builder blocks on either side of him will suffer 16-17% damage with great knockback. Ven has super armor throughout performing the move, but does suffer average ending lag. Opponents do NOT want to get hit by this.
[ 16-17% ]

3 Bars - Celestrial:
Ven leaps upwards 2 stage builder blocks. Now, the opponent needs to be within 1 stage builder block for the next part to work, because otherwise, Ven simply goes back to the ground. If they are though, Ven quickly homes in on them from above, slashing them, dealing off 5-6% damage with flinching. Ven can do this again up by automatically jumping up for up to 5 slashes. The 5th slash however, has wind blow from it, dealing off great knockback. This has little lag throughout the move. The move can only be cancelled by mess up by the opponent dodging.

Neutral Special - Shoot Lock
Ven will aim his Keyblade forward. Now, if the opponent is within a 2.5 stage builder block of range, Ven will "lock in" to them. What this does is that it will give the opponent a small green mark on them. Ven can also optionally steer his Keyblade around (similar to Charizard's neutral special) anywhere. Be warned that you have only 5 seconds to get all the shoot locks in or otherwise, you'll have to made due with what you got. The more shoot locks you get in, the more hits. Note that Ven can lock onto items and projectiles as well. Ven will not suffer knockback by attacks that do 10% damage or less. When using this move, there is very little beginning lag, but average ending lag. Also note that you have to wait every 10 seconds when using. Releasing the A button will then do your attack...

0 Bar - Fire Ball:
Being able to lock up to 15 times at a pace of 5 per second, Ven starts firing fire balls at the opponent, firing 5 per second, with them being the size of a pokeball and travelling the speed of a thrown one. They'll automatically hone into the opponent for 1% damage with only flinching knockback a piece. This never KOs. However, the fireballs hardly drain any shield, so opponents can take the 15 hits, and still have half their shield intact. 1 fire ball fills up 1/15th of a quarter of a bar.
[ 1% x 15 ]

1 Bar - Light Slash:
Ven can only lock up to 10 times at a pace of 3 per second. He will then charge into the opponent, leaving behind a light trail, performing a quick slash attack. This will deal off 2% damage a slash, with pushing knockback. Ven moves a stage builder block per slash, and does 2 slashes every second. If the opponent stays in one spot, shielding, Ven will slash back and forth. If the opponent's being hit, Ven can push them off an edge into the air. Be careful, because if this moves ends in the air, Ven will be in a helpless state. 1 hit fills up 1/10th of a quarter of a bar.
[ 2% x 10 ]

2-3 Bar - Pulse Bomb:
Being able to lock up to 5 times at a pace of 2 per second, Ven will shift his wrist, causing a dark explosion, 3/4ths as big as a smart bomb, to happen on the opponent (think of Ganondorf's darkness effect + bomb...except the attack appears right in front of the opponent), dealing off 5-6% damage with nice knockback on the last hit (flinching on the first few ones). Ven will do this 5 times in a row. An alternative KO move for Ven, and it's decent, but it doesn't drain shields that much.

[ 5-6% x 5 ]

Side Special - Strike Raid
Ven will throw his Keyblade forward, travelling at the speed of Samus' neutral special. This deals off 6-7% damage with okay knockback. This goes through opponents, so upon when the Keyblade starts coming back, it can hit again. This has little beginning lag, but average ending lag. Ven will stay in one spot while the Keyblade is travelling, so be careful. One hit can fill up 1/8th of the bar.

Generic projectile right? Uhh...not exactly. You see, this move is chargeable. With 4 seconds of charging time, the Keyblade can travel from 1-5 stage builder blocks. When it's fully charged, the Keyblade can hone into an opponent for 4 seconds. It can hit the opponent back and forth if they stay in one spot, up to 5 times no less.

[ 6-7% x 5 ]

Up Special - Keyblade Rider
Ven quickly throws his Keyblade into the air, where it'll suddenly transform into a hover board, quickly saving Ven from doom. This will only take a second to perform.

Ven can fly his Keyboard in any direction for 5 seconds, at a speed of Ike's running speed. Ven also has 10% knockback resistance. He can defend himself with 2 attacks:
  • Pressing A will have Ven kick his Keyblade forward, where it'll travel 2 stage builder blocks. Upon hitting an opponent, it'll deal off 11% damage with okay knockback. It has a big hitbox, nearly the size of Bowser. This has average startup lag, and above average ending. It'll then come back to Ven. While Ven is using this move, he'll float in midair, but if he's hit, he'll go automatically to his helpless mode. This will fill up 1/8th of the bar.
  • Pressing B will have Ven rush in forward with the board, travelling 1.5 stage builder blocks, dealing 10% damage and okay knockback. This has little beginning lag, but average ending lag. This has decent priority, and fills Ven's bar 1/8th per hit. This can be used for a quick horizontal recovery.

Down Special - Magnera
Ven points his Keyblade into the air, shouting, "Light!" This will cause a darkish light effect to appear above his head. If an opponent is within a 1.5 stage builder block of it, they'll automatically be sucked in, getting damaged with 10% damage. They'll spin round and round in the light for 2 seconds, before being released. After that, they can never be sucked in again. 1 opponent fills 1/8th of the bar. This has little lag at both ends, but only 1 can remain on the stage at a time, and it only lasts for 10 seconds.
[ 10% ]

Neutral A Attack - Ventus Combo
Ven swipes with his Keyblade horizontally forward 2 times, and then does a spinning slash that hits in all directions. Each slash does about 3-4% damage, with okay knockback on the spinning slash. This has standard range and priority for a jab, and little lag at both ends. One hit fills 1/16th of a bar.
[ 3-4% x 3 ]

Side Tilt - Flyin' Chop
Ven takes a short stage builder block hop forward, performing a vertical Keyblade chop as he does so. This deals off 10% damage, with okay knockback. This has decent priority as Ven is doing the slash, with very little beginning lag, but average ending lag. This is a good move for Ven to reach in forward and fills up 1/8th of the bar.
[ 10% ]

Up tilt - Spinner
Ven jumps upwards, and does a spinning slash as he does so. This will do 8-9% damage with always sending them upwards a stage builder blocks knockback. This has little beginning lag, but average ending lag upon landing. This has range expanding half a stage builder block on each side, and Ven jumps a full stage builder block and has okay priority. Fills up 1/8th of the bar, and can be used to get opponents into the air.
[ 8-9% ]

Down tilt - Low Blow
Ven crouches down, and does a rising vertical slash, that deals off 7-8% damage, with it always sending opponent a stage builder block up (never KOs). Average range, with some beginning lag, but hardly any ending lag. With decent priority, and filling 1/8th of the bar, it's a useful move, as it can then combo into his up tilt...
[ 7-8% ]

Dash Attack - Stabbing Rush
Ven rushes in forward a stage builder block, stabbing as he does so. It does 9-10% damage upon hitting, with tripping knockback. This has little beginning lag, and decent priority. If you managed to hit the opponent with this (meaning if the opponent dodged, or shielded will not have the next part happen), Ven will quickly turn around, allowing for more pressuring. Fills up 1/8th of the bar.
[ 9-10% ]

Forward Smash - Speed Rave Rush
Ven charges up and then rushes in from a stage builder block to 3 (depending on charge) forward, like a drill. Upon hitting, this being a multi-hitter has 10 hits in it, with each doing 1-2% damage each. This does flinching PUSHING knockback as the move is attacking the opponent, and always knocks the opponent a stage builder block away at the end, so it's good for spacing opponents. This has above average beginning lag, but hardly any ending. Not to mention it has good priority. Getting all 10 hits in can score you 1/4th of the bar.
[ 1-2% x 10 ]

Down Smash - Speed Rave Light
Ven quickly scrapes the ground with his Keyblade...which will cause light lines to shine on the ground, extending a stage builder block forward. Hitting opponents with this will cause 10-12% damage with okay knockback uncharged, while fully charged deals off 16-17% damage with nice knockback. This has very little beginning lag, but average ending lag. This also fills up 1/4th of the bar. Can be used to combo from his forward smash...
[ 10-17% ]

Up Smash - Dashing Slash
Ven dashes a stage builder block forward, and will quickly let out a rising vertical slash with okay priority. This has a bit of lag at both ends. This will automatically send opponents 1.5 stage builder blocks upwards...and that's it? Suddenly, they'll be a prompt above Ven's head to press A. If you immediately press the A button afterwards, Ven will quickly jump upwards to be on the same level as the opponent, and pressing A again will cause him to do another vertical slash, sending opponents upwards another stage builder block. You can do this for one more time, where the third slash will cause him to finally smack the opponent downwards. You can choose to jump to cancel out the prompts, but put Ven on the same level as the opponent, so he can do an aerial and not one of the prompt slashes.

The prompts last a second per move, so the opponents have a chance to dodge. These moves can have very little lag depending how fast you press. Each slash does 5-8% damage (depending on charge) and no, this will never KO. Slashes can fill up 1/8th of the bar each.

Neutral Aerial - Aerial Assault
Ven will perform a series of 3 slashes from his Keyblade, staying in midair where he choosed to perform attack. Each slash does 3-4% damage with okay knockback on the last slash. The beginning has very little beginning lag, but average ending lag. The Keyblade strikes have range comparable to Link's forward aerial, with okay priority to boot. All 3 strikes fill up 1/16th of the bar each. Moves like Ven's up smash or tilt can combo into this move...
[ 3-4% x 3 ]

Forward Aerial - Charge!!
Ven will dash forward half a stage builder block forward. This has a bit of beginning lag, but average ending lag. Now, the power depends on how many bars are filled up, though no matter the attack, it will always fill up 1/8th:
0 Bars - Human Impact:
Ven will simply dash forward with no regular powers or anything. This will do 7-8% damage with knockback that only pushes opponents away by 1 stage builder block upon contact, with meh worthy priority. Main hitbox is Ven's forward body.
[ 7-8% ]
1 Bar - Fire Burst:
Ven will quickly be surrounded with fire balls, and the range extends by half a stage builder block. Upon hitting, this will do 11-12% damage, with okay knockback, while also giving opponents burnt effect. This has decent priority.
[ 11-12% ]
2-3 Bars - Light Bash:
Ven will be surrounded by light pedals, similar to his 2 bar finisher, also extend half a stage builder block forward. Hitting this will deal off a decent 14-15% damage with nice knockback. This has great priority, and definately worth using.
[ 14-15% ]

Backwards Aerial - Reversal!
Note, this might change in the future, but Ven will do his forward aerial...except, well, it's behind him. The range is extended to a full stage builder block. However, the downside is that it takes double the amount of beginning lag. Still...Could be useful.

Down Aerial - Spin Dive
Ven spins his Keyblade rapidly downwards below him, reaching about 3/4ths of a stage builder block. This being a multi-hitter, with 10 hits in all, each dealing off 1-2% damage and little knockback at the end. Hitbox is a bit bigger than a soccer ball to be exact. Has little beginning lag, but has Ganondorf related down aerial ending lag. Get all 10 hits in can save up 1/8th of the bar.

Now what's interesting is if you press the A button again while it's spinning, it'll go straight downwards to the ground, at a fall speed of a capsule item, let's say. It will never do knockback besides flinching (and will stop doing damage after 10 hits), and it will drag opponents down with it. Reaching solid ground, the Keyblade will then be stuck to the ground (which only he can pick up) and opponents are grounded. While the Keyblade is out of Ven's hands, he can't do any attack involving his Keyblade (excluding his neutral special). Sending his Keyblade over a pit will cause him to lose it for 10 seconds, so be careful. Using this part of the move CAN get all 10 hits in easily though...

[ 1-2 x 10 ]

Upwards Aerial - Whisper In The Wind
Ven does a flying vertical slash (imagine Marth's up special, but half the range). This has little beginning lag, but puts Ven into his helpless state at the end...though for only 2 seconds. Move power depends on how many bars are filled up, but it will always fill up 1/8th of the bar.
0 Bars - Slicing Uppercut:
Ven will simply fly with a regular Keyblade slash. This does 7-8% damage upon contact with little vertical knockback. Has okay priority. Nothing really special here.
[ 7-8% ]
1 Bar - Darkness Slash:
Ven's Keyblade will now have a dark flameish effect while slashing, thus creating a more disjointed and bigger hitbox, while also doing 10-11% damage with okay knockback and priority.
[ 10-11% ]
2-3 Bars - Wind Smack:
Ven will have his Keyblade surrounded by the wind, dealing off 13-14% damage with nice priority upon hitting. Not only that, but at the end of the attack, the wind will carry opponents away 2 stage builder blocks (depending on where they where hit), kinda like Link's Gale Boomerang.
[ 13-14% ]

Pummel - Smack
Ven smacks the opponent with his Keyblade for average speed, with 3% damage each. Nothing special here. Fills up 1/16th of the bar per pummel.

Forward Throw - Fire Magic
Ven will throw his opponent forward, and let out a "Fire!" He'll fire a fireball forward to finish it off, with it travelling at a speed of Link's boomerang, and 2 stage builder blocks. This does 8% damage with okay knockback upon hitting, and filling up 1/8th of the bar. Fire ball is about as big as Kirby. Fills 1/8th of the bar no matter what.
[ 8% ]

Backwards Throw - Backlash
Ven will throw his opponent behind him, which will cause him to shout, "Take that!" as he slashes the opponent quickly for 10-11% damage and always knocking them away a stage builder block. Standardish throw. Fills 1/8th of the bar no matter what.
[ 10-11% ]

Upwards Throw - Thunder Magic
Ven will let the opponent go, giving them a chance to dodge/block the next attack. Ven will then shine his Keyblade to the air, shouting, "Thunder!" This will cause anyone with 2 stage builder blocks will have a thunderbolt rain on them, for 5-6% damage and little knockback. Depending on how many bars will have another thunderbolt rain down on them, for the potential of 3 per up throw. Fills 1/8th of the bar no matter what.
[ 5-6% x 3 ]

Downwards Throw - Ice Magic
Ven will throw his opponent to the ground and shout, "Taste frost!" "Freeze!" He'll then concentrate his Keyblade at the opponent, firing an ice blast at them. This will do 10-11% damage with...the opponent still being grounded. Every 3rd use freezes the opponents for 2 seconds.
[ 10-11% ]

The transformations we've been talking about in the first special trait. Note that Ven will retain his smash attacks and specials.

Cyclone
Cyclone doesn't transform Ven appearance wise all that much. He'll have a light cyclone surrounding him, and that's really all there is. This transformation focuses on gimping the opponent with...well, cyclones, though it's more than capable of actually attacking opponents. He's sure to blow away the competition. Get it? He's using a cyclone and...I'll shut up now.

• For Cyclone's special finishing move, Ven will shout, "Let's go!" He'll then turn into a clear diamond, and spin 2 stage builder blocks around Ven on each side, on the same level, before transforming back to regular Ven. Upon hitting opponents, this will deal off 14-15% damage, with great amount of horizontal knockback. This has a bit of startup lag, and average ending lag. This has great priority as well. A great way to KO opponents.
  • His neutral combo and neutral aerial, while still remaining the same, now has wind blowing effect per slash, reaching a stage builder block forward. This pushes opponents away 2 stage builder blocks if they touch it. Good GIMP move. Bar fillup remains the same.
  • Ven now throws his Keyblade forward for his side tilt, reaching 2 stage builder blocks. This essentially has the same amount of lag and damage in it. It also has the same effect as Link's Gale Boomerang.
  • Down tilt changes to where Ven spins in place, making a cyclone, with a decently large hitbox around him. Deals no damage, but does blow away opponents 3 stage builder blocks. Has little beginning lag, though average ending lag. Bar fillup remains the same.
  • Up tilt remains the same.
  • Dash Attack blasts out a rush of wind, travelling a stage builder block forward, for each stab now. However, it only blows opponents a stage builder block away.
  • Forward/Backwards aerial has Ven being surrounded by a gust of wind, that's as large as Bowser. Deals no damage. However, upon touching opponents, it can blow them away 2 stage builder blocks. Same amount of lag as regular forward aerial.
  • Down aerial remains the same.
  • Upwards aerial always uses the 2-3 Bar effect from now on, with damage included.

Wing Blade

Ven will now have 6 blue blades on his back, 3 on each side (click "Wing Blade" for a picture). Now Ven cannot be attacked from behind, so opponents can't sneak attacks. If they do, the wing blades, immediately knock them away for 5% damage and okay knockback. This is used so that Ven can damage rack/KO more easily here, and can attack from all sides.
  • Wing Blade's finishing special attack now has Ven release his wing blades, and they'll be aiming at the ground. Suddenly, a while light happens, and anyone within 2 stage builders of Ven will suffer 20% damage with great knockback. Has above average beginning lag, but hardly any ending lag.
  • Ven's neutral combo/aerial turns in 6 hits, instead of 3, as each wing blade, with all 6 hits deal off 2-3% damage each and okay knockback at the last hit. Lag, priority and range remain pretty much the same, but combo takes longer to perform. Bar fillup remains the same.
  • Side tilt is replaced with Ven throwing 2 of his wing blades 2 stage builder blocks forward, 1 at a time at a very fast speed. Has basically same lag as original side tilt, and deals off 6-7% damage with okay knockback on the last hit. Good long distance attack. Getting both his in have a chance to fill up 1/8th of the bar.
  • Up Tilt is replaced with 3 upwards slashes from his wing blades, similar to Link's up smash, with range being similar to it. Each slash has 5-6% damage with okay knockback on the last hit. Has very little beginning lag, but above average ending lag. Bar fillup remains the same.
  • Down Tilt is replaced with the wing blades stretching out in 6 directions, reaching half a stage builder block. The blades will then spin all around Ven, and anyone being caught in this 10 hit multi-hitter suffers 1-2% damage per hit with okay knockback on the last hit. Has Lucario's up special lag at both ends. Bar fillup remains the same.
  • Dash Attack remains the same, though this time, Ven stabs with 3 of the wing blades, creating a larger hitbox, making it easier to hit with.
  • Forward/Backwards Aerial remains the same, but this time, the wing blades, stretching a stage builder block, spin around Ven horizontally, dealing off 13-14% damage with okay knockback upon hitting.
  • Downwards Aerial now has 3 wing blades spinning, making it a lot easier to hit with. Move otherwise remains the same.
  • Upwards Aerial remains the same.
Air Rider
  • The special finishing move will have Ven go seek out the nearest opponent to him (though they gotta be in a stage builder block range), and knock them into the air. He'll then air combo slash them from all angles, before knocking them straight to the ground. Deals off 24% damage and great knockback. Gives the opponent a one second warning.
  • As Ven transforms into this form, he'll levitate off the ground, making him impervious to attacks that sweep his feet.
  • Also, he can go just about anywhere into the air, by pushing the control stick around, going at Link's running speed.
  • He'll also have no aerials, as he can do his standards/smashes in the air.
  • Neutral combo remains the same.
  • Side Tilt changes to a regular stab forward, dealing off 11-12% damage with okay knockback. Little lag at both ends, with okay priority to boot. Reaches a stage builder block forward. If Ven hits at the very tip of the blade, it'll send opponents upwards.
  • Up tilt remains the same, only this time you can do it over and over again, with the potential of juggling opponents. Has average ending lag though..
  • Down Tilt changes to wear Ven releasing a gust of wind from his body, with anyone within half a stage builder block around will suffer 9-10% damage, with always sending opponents 1.5 stage builder blocks upwards. Has lag comparable to Ike's down tilt.
  • Ven has no dash attack here.
  • Ven grabbing an opponent in midair will have them stay in midair. Pummel remains the same.
  • Ven's forward/upwards/backwards throws remains the same.
  • Downwards throw is replaced where Ven dive bombs the opponent straight downwards. Hitting the ground will cause them to suffer 13-14% damage with okay knockback. Using this over a pit can cause a Venticide, as Ven is on top of the opponent.

Vanitas
Ven has grabbed the smash ball! Suddenly, he'll have full use of his Air Rider mechanic, but with his regular moveset. He'll also be invincible for 20 seconds when using this final smash. The special finisher is transformed to where Ven has yellow crystals surrounding him. This will make Ven automatically home into the opponent, no matter where they are, for a fierce stab, which deals off 30% damage with great knockback, that KOs at 30% damage. Ouch.

Ven is certainly an interesting character to play as. The first thing you want to do is fill up that bar. It'll give Ven access to his good KO moves and will let him transform for the occasion. His level one is good against opponents with a weak recovery, while his level 2 is better for heavier opponents, and level 3 lets you rack a ton of damage on the opponent.

Just how do you rack that bar effectively? Well luckily, we got that neutral special. Ven can lock on a ton of projectiles onto the opponent (that is if they're in range of course). Even if the opponent decides to block all the blows, it'll at least let you get some bar fill up. This is an effective way to fill the bar as it can fill even if the opponent is blocking.

His standards are nothing to laugh at either. A lot of his attacks link up easily and can be used for combos, thus filling the bar up more effectively. Some simple combos I would suggest are:

Forward Smash ----> Down Smash = 1/2th of bar filled
Down Tilt ----> Up Tilt = 1/4th of bar filled
A ---> AA ---> Side Tilt = 1/4th of bar filled

More complex combos are:
A ---> AA ---> First 2 Up Smash hits ---> Forward/Upwards Aerial = 1/4th of bar filled
Up Tilt ---> First 2 Neutral Aerial hits ---> Forward/Upwards Aerial = 3/8th of bar filled
Forward Throw --> Dash Attack ---> Side Special = 1/2th of bar filled with a chance of getting Cyclone transformation

And so on. Don't make it so you're just spamming the same combo over and over again. Otherwise, opponents will get wary and start blocking. In the air, use Ven's down aerial to hit opponents from below, while upwards aerial hits above effectively. Just make sure you don't miss or anything. You can also try freezing your opponent with the down throw, allowing you to attack more easily though you'll have to do it a load of times to actually freeze opponents.

Let's say your opponent's a camper, and out of range for your standards. There's still ways to fill up that bar. If the opponent isn't too far away, use Ven's down special to draw them in, also giving Ven a chance to transform into Wing Blade. You could also use the charged up side special (albeit more predictable) for the Keyblade to home into the opponent, giving opponent little chance to run away. You can also rush them in with his up special's B attack, or attack from afar with his A attack, with a chance to get into the Air Rider form. Just note that you might screw yourself a recovery if the opponent knocks you down while you're using it.

Now let's talk more on Ven's transformations. Cyclone is Ven's best ways of KOing through gimping the opponent. Ven can edgeguard with his down tilt or blast opponents away with his neutral attacks. You can also send them into the air with his up tilt, do the first 2 hits of his neutral aerial, and then blow them away for an forward aerial. His Cyclone form's forward aerial is one of the best GIMP moves in the game, so use it often. So yeah, transform into Cyclone to be a GIMP artist.

For Wing Blade, Ven will excel in damage racking here. His neutral attacks/up/down tilts are great for close range combat, while his side tilt can hit any far rangers. His dash attack is now really viable with it being easier to his opponents, so use it. When you're done with your damage racking, use your forward aerial at higher percentages, or keep things short and sweet, and use his finishing special attack.

Personally, I prefer the air, and so does Air Rider apparently. You'll never have to worry about recovering, as you can go just about anywhere. Ven can send opponents into the air with his forward tilt and up tilt, and can continue chaining them upwards. You can optionally use his forward smash to send them forward as well. If you got an extra stock, use Ven's down throw for the KO. His finishing move is probably the least useful, knockback wise, as it doesn't KO, but hey, it does a lot of damage!

Overall, you got a lot of options with Ven. You can KO them through his special finishers, or you can transform and roll out. All up to you.

Vs Ike
Ike...isn't exactly in a good place. Ike's slow, so he'll have trouble actually getting away from being hit by Ven, especially by Ven's fully charged side special, or his up special when rushing in. Ike's also pretty big, making him combo fodder, and Ven has an easy chance to land all them hits on him. You'll want to transform into Cyclone for a huge advantage.

However, Ike's not totally hopeless, thanks to down special. If Ike players can calculate the exact time when Ven's going to use stuff like his forward smash or dash attack, he can easily deflect him away, and maybe giving enough time for Ven's bar to start dropping. Ike can also abuse the superarmor from Aether or Eruption, thus cancelling out Ven's KO special knockback properties. When it's time to attack Ven, so he doesn't use his side special, and try to transform into Cyclone, rush in with Ike's side special.

Of course, if Ven DOES transform into Cyclone...well, let's just say it's not gonna be pretty for Ike. Ike's recovery options aren't so hot, making him easily gimpable with Ven's down tilt, and such. If Ven manages to knock Ike away off the stage, it's all over. All Ike can hope to do is shield a lot so Ven doesn't fill up that bar too much with that side special.

Not too much will change if Ven transforms into Wing Blade, other than Ven can hurt Ike damage rise a lot more, but Air Rider will definitely give Ike some problems. If Ven can juggle Ike around a lot with his up aerial and such, it'll give Ike a tough time. Ike however has some decent range with his aerials, so not all hope is loss.

Overall, Ven has about a 65/35 chance against Ike.

Vs Edgeworth
Believe it or not, Edgeworth actually has a decent chance here. Edgeworth can send in Gumshoe or Franziska to stall Ven around. While Ven may be busy trying to hit Edgeworth, he's just leaving behind evidence for Edgeworth to collect. Gumshoe can take Ven's hits, and then simply collect the evidence. Franziska can always keep Ven down for Edgeworth to use his Objection! or stop Ven from trying to fill up his bar.

Of course, this isn't over for Ven. He can attack Edgeworth's assistants for easy bar fill up. If Ven brings out his Keyboard, he can rush in for an easy assault, and for a chance to become Air Rider, who is the definitely the best way to go in this situation. If Ven can transform into Air Rider, he can knock Edgeworth of the ladder if he's trying to recover or if he's trying to get his green evidence.

Edgeworth is prepared though, as if Edgeworth can land his pummel on him, he might not need to go into the air for his green evidence at all. Kay can also temporary confuse Ven with her forward smash, while Edgeworth goes evidence hunting. When ever Edgeworth wants to land his Objection!, he just needs to wait for Ven to come to him, to try and combo him or he can get his assistants to hold him down. Overall, I'd give Ven an 40/60 disadvantage against ol' Edgey here.

Up Taunt - Keyblade Showoff
Ven makes a motion similar to Link's Up taunt, except he doesn't sheath his Keyblade, where he instead turns to the background.

Side Taunt - Aqua's Good Luck Charm
Ven takes out a star shaped fruit, and shines it into the sunlight. It looks beautiful.

Down Taunt - Friends
Ven will shout out, "This is for my friends!" Ripping off Ike much, Ven?

Victory Pose 1 - Sea Salt Ice Cream
Ven is seen sitting, and eating Sea Salt Ice Cream. Emm...salty...yet sweet!

Victory Pose 2 - Fighting For Your Friends
Ven will shout out, "My friends are my power!"

Victory Pose 3 - Lucas With A Keyblade
Sundance comes out of nowhere, and points at Ven, saying: "Look guys! It's Lucas with a Keyblade! Prove me wrong!" Ven then facepalms, and just knocks Sundance out of the way.

Lose pose - Good Sport
Ven just shrugs and claps to the opponent. He's a good sport.

Alternate costumes

Author's notes: I would like to thank MT and HR for previewing this set for me. It was really fun making this set, one of my favorite sets in a while. Hopefully everyone can enjoy it too!

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
Pokemon syndrome crap is gonna stop or I'm not making another Pokeset AND ASSIST IS HER MOVE AND YOU DONT KNOW WHAT IT DOES DO YOU? I dont think you do look it up and I based it off the show Glameow. How do you think pikachu got into Smash?
You don't see Pikachu using **** like Grass Knot and Rain Dance in Smash, do you? Stop being a massive douchebag because your set sucks.

MYM'r

Smash Cadet
Pikachu got into Smash because it was popular on the show. If Ash would have had a Sandshrew, Sandshrew would be in Smash instead of Pikachu! Its fudging assist! Glameow uses moves from the show and if you are so harsh that you like criticising people for their straightforwardness then big middle finger to you - UP YOURS! I hope the rest of MYM will realize that criticizing for PokeSyndrome is wrong! It doesn't matter! Don't expect another Pokeset from me and if I get banned, well I will watch the moveset making unfold silently. Sorry. MT. I guess I don't have what it takes, apparently. Obviously, Pokemon Syndrome is a sin so bad that every damp reviewer has to mention it again, and again and again!

Kris121

Smash Journeyman
MYM'r I don't really know what the problem is but don't get mad! Just calm down. The people in this thread are mentioning Pokemon Syndrome because they just want to help you out. I do realize that assist is one of Glameow's attacks from the show and you were able to use it quite nicely I guess. What people want to do is quite simple. All they want to do is help you become a better moveset maker. And recommending and giving tips is something we do around here. So just chill. We aren't the enemy. Nice sig btw.

In other news. Im making a set for buzz lightyear. I just need to make aerials. and format.

cutter

Smash Champion
Pikachu got into Smash because it was popular on the show. If Ash would have had a Sandshrew, Sandshrew would be in Smash instead of Pikachu! Its fudging assist! Glameow uses moves from the show and if you are so harsh that you like criticising people for their straightforwardness then big middle finger to you - UP YOURS! I hope the rest of MYM will realize that criticizing for PokeSyndrome is wrong! It doesn't matter! Don't expect another Pokeset from me and if I get banned, well I will watch the moveset making unfold silently. Sorry. MT. I guess I don't have what it takes, apparently. Obviously, Pokemon Syndrome is a sin so bad that every damp reviewer has to mention it again, and again and again!
Smash Daddy ripped my B.B. Hood moveset pretty well and found many things that I could have corrected. I think the only thing he really liked was her directly-ported-from-Darkstalkers/MvC2 Cool Hunting final smash lol. But you know what? I took his criticism like a man and saw how I could improve future movesets with it. There is no point in criticism if it's just nothing but positive remarks just to butter someone up.

Pokemon Syndrome is a perfectly valid complaint. Why the hell should Glameow be able do attacks like Psycho Cut and Magical Leaf? It is incredibly unintuitive, even if you do use Assist as a cop-out. That's the reason why Pokemon Syndrome is frowned upon.

john!

Smash Hero
Is the point of Smash really to keep characters confined to the limitations of their own universe? Come on guys. As long as it's not something competely ridiculous (Diglett used Fly!) then it should be fine.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
And nothing of value was lost.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
I can see why you're frustrated, MYM'r; "Pokemon Syndrome" is a concept that developed here in MYM after we've gone through countless Pokemon sets, and it's understandable that you're tired of hearing about it as a newcomer. For the record, I think Assist is a perfectly fine way to give Glameow some flavor. Few Pokemon actually learn that move, the point of which is to use attacks that you wouldn't expect out of a Glameow in the first place. Don't be discouraged by negative reviews, use what you can to make some future adjustments if you want better reception. Keep doing what you enjoy doing, though.

And to everyone else, come on, let's all just be positive role models.

Also, TWILT posted a moveset. (chew)

Frf

Smash Apprentice
Oh dear, it seems as if twilters set is being ignored. :x I'd review it, but it's my birthday. So now I actually have an excuse to be lazy!

MYM'r, I'd suggest you'd calm down. You're making this thread an incredibly uncomfortable (yet somewhat active!) place.....

Poke syndrome just makes things boring. Sure, the pokemon can LEARN the move...... But it's not in character. Sure, it's in it's movepool, but for pokemon generally you want to build a set around the character..... Not just look up a pokemon, see it's moves, and then make them smash like. I don't know how to explain much better.

Poke sets are actually pretty tough for a first set. Since we have so many of them around here, we build higher expectations for those sets and have all these unwritten rules for them and all that.

Keep at it. If this contest gets you stressed out, I highly recommend you lay back for a bit. If you aren't having fun with this, then you're doing it wrong. :p Read some sets, heck, review some sets if you'd like! TWILT's set might be a nice place to start......

JOE!

Smash Hero
How khold of you.
Zook got de-modded?! :O

anywho, pokemon syndrom is bad in the same way as this:

Mario can get the tanookie suit in SMB3, wouldnt it be odd for him to randomly put that on for his Ftilt?

It's the same principal, just because they "could" do something in their game, doesnt mean they should in smash, where their character is represented. Which is why it'd be odd for a normal type kitten to use Shockwave/etc <.<

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY8AKc6vOMo

^Smart, smart man.

So yeah, I hate not contributing to the arguement but I'd like to bring to everyone's attention that TWILTHERO posted a moveset on the top of this page that has yet to receive any comments. I'd comment it myself but like Edgeworth and Trainer Red before Ventus, I've proof-read them all so I've already told TWILT more or less how I feel about it. AND I TOLD HIM THAT THIS SET IS GOOD AND THAT YOU SHOULD ALL READ IT RIGHT NOW PLEASE.

As for the issue at hand...I'd prefer if we could resolve this somewhat quickly and preferably without anyone leaving or getting banned. It's really not worth arguing about.

READ/COMMENT VENTUS PLOX
:033:

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Guess I should make a point here or so, as it's horribly unfair for movesets to be ignored over such a manner as this page is presenting.

[size=+5]Ventus[/size]

I am rather surprised that you managed to pull off a moveset for Ventus, TWILTY, as it is of my knowledge that the game he comes from has only appeared in Japan. I also must congratulate you on getting a 4th set out to rival the likes of MW and JOE!.

You having previously posted Roxas - a Kingdom Hearts character; and me having played the game (not Kingdom Hearts, Birth By Sleep though), there is something for me to look forward to.

Special mechanic looks pretty funky, and while it seems a bit much to chew on in one go (it is very confusing, perhaps a little bit on the non sense making side until I see that his attacks put the bar up), I'll respect your ideal. The idea I grasp from it is that Ventus has to attack his foes to fill it up, and he gets his KO moves from it, but loses power when he does not attack.

Methinks that Ventus' moves are simple, but who cares? Staying true to KH = awesome, since it's not easy making these kinds of sets. I only think that the mechanic could MAYBE have been presented a bit better. This is just my opinion though, so don't take it all the way. For example, the transformations are presented last, and feel a bit cluttered. You could have the bars fill up through damage percentage doing rather than certain amounts if it doesn't do OOC. Im not really helping, am I? Perhaps the transformations could, like, be at the start or something. Ahh, never mind.

Miles Edgeworth is my favouritest set from yours, but Ventus is still a good effort of a set, especially for what you had to work with.

Sorry if this wasn't much of help.

Also, the last alt costume = coooooooooooooooool

MYM'r

Smash Cadet
For the record, I think Assist is a perfectly fine way to give Glameow some flavor. Few Pokemon actually learn that move, the point of which is to use attacks that you wouldn't expect out of a Glameow in the first place.
Thank You for someone finally saying that. I was just trying to bring some of Glameow's moves that THAT SHE IS KNOWN FOR!

Is the point of Smash really to keep characters confined to the limitations of their own universe? Come on guys. As long as it's not something competely ridiculous (Diglett used Fly!) then it should be fine.
Thank you to john! sorry I couldn't figure out how to do multiple quotes

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
VENTUS
While I can't say the bar mechanic itself is my favorite, I like the various uses you gave it. Rather than simply being used for one powerful finishing attack, Ventus has multiple options for his finishers, depending on how many bars he fills. The transformation aspect of the bar is unique as well, and puts his various abilities to use perfectly. When it comes down to it, the playstyle really isn't that deep; all Ventus needs to do is fill his bar with combos, then land that finishing blow. Because of this, I can appreciate the transformations, which all have their specialties, as well as his approach-forcing moves, all the more. Ventus is a great, middle-of-the-road effort from you, TWILT (Red has the clear upper hand, though). I hope you can take the positive aspects I highlighted and mix them into a more complex playstyle in the future.

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Ventus

Commenting for you as promised. I don't really like when playstyles are almost entirely dependent on mechanics, but it isn't awfully implemented here and for all I know he'd be OoC without it. Granted, there probably could have been a more interesting way to get playstyle out of it than just comboing, but that's sort of a theoretical nitpick.

While I'd like to complain about presentation, I really can't; just like Red, your writing style is on the rise and the headers look great. What I do have a problem with is the detail, specifically on the finishers. You need to start including kill percents on powerful moves like these instead of saying they can serve as KO moves, and I think you need more mention of lag. Also, how easily escapable are things like Celestrial? Ventus could either be pushing the foe across the stage closer and closer to the blastzone with them having no hope of escape or just hopping forward with easily dodgeable slashes. Either of those would be bad, but I'd prefer it if I at least knew which direction they're balanced in.

Now that I'm done with that patch of negativity, Ventus is mostly keyblade slashes, but they're not irrelevant keyblade slashes and he doesn't seem to do that much beyond what he can do with the meter. The mirrored Back Aerial unfortunately reminds me of Joshua in a negative way, but since it has more lag it at least isn't universally superior.

I have a couple of other nitpicks. I don't like when people use Stage Builder Blocks for measurement, but you aren't acting like you think each one is a foot (Y) and a lot of people use them anyhow. The playstyle could be a little better written (why not tell how to play the transformations in their section?) and I don't see why you wouldn't put ratios next to the matchup headers if you're going to include them at all, but that's even less important. Ventus wasn't as good as Red overall, but he's still not bad and he was a fun read so nice job, man... have I been saying that a lot in comments lately?​

wrkngclsshr

Smash Rookie
Well, I see the thread's been doused in a lot of stupidity for the past page.

Oh, what's this? A little glimmer of hope? TWILT posted a set but only a few comments?
Good for him.

Nah, I wouldn't leave TWILT hanging like that.

Ventus~

Well, first, the set starts off with some basic stats and then... a MECHANIC :O. So apparantly Ven just combos his way through enemies until his bar is filled, then he becomes even more of a monster.

I'd totally main this guy.

Most of the moves are generic slashes, at least up until the bar is filled (which, with some combos, is easy). Complaint #1: I expected more magic being used normally. I don't know, even the keyblade GLOWING when it is slashes is nice. Sometimes little details like that that make the move all that much more interesting.

Random, meaningless complaint #2:

In the air, use Ven's down aerial to hit opponents from below, while upwards aerial hits above effectively.
Thanks, Captain Obvious. :p

Oh, and complaint #3:

B-Air.

Enough of that, sure, the moves are a bit generic for the most part, but now...
Onto the highlight of the set: the transformations.

I looooooveeed them. The set should've been more focused on the Transformations, imo. Still using the bar, but only for transforming. The bits and pieces from the moves that could use the bars could've been used elsewhere to spice up the normal moveset. The transformations were REALLY the saving grace of the set (and the reason I'm not writing a negative comment). It brought life to the whole mechanic.

All in all, I liked the set. Mainly because I liked the transformation. I would've liked to have seen more magic in the attacks instead of generic slashes though, along with more focus on the transformations.

Nothing truly wrong with it, but in a way, there's not that much good with it either.

n88

Smash Lord
A small warning before reading this set; this was written about a week after I wrote HK-47, which, if y'all remember was back in MYM6. So this is really very old, and I don't really like it at all. I just happened to find it on my computer, and figured I might as well post it, as it seemed too complete to send to the Graveyard.

Black Cat, the great cat burglar, has joined the Brawl!

Black Cat

Background/Overview

Black Cat is the alter ego of Felicia Hardy, and a recurring character in the Spider-Man series of comics. She has had several roles, as at different points in time, she’s been a girlfriend, ally, and enemy to Spider-Man. It’s interesting to note that while she likes Spider-Man, she detests Peter Parker, even though she knows they’re the same person. Black Cat usually has no super powers, but did have some cat-like abilities, as well as the ability to create bad luck, for a time. Usually, she relies on a variety of hidden gadgets and some not-quite-so-hidden distractions.

Stats

Size: 5
Weight: 5
Ground Speed: 7
Traction: 7
Fall Speed: 5
Shielding/Dodging: 9
DI/Aerial Movement: 7

Special Abilities
Wall Cling

Black Cat can cling to the wall for a very short period of time (Less than one tenth of a second)

Wall Jump

Black Cat is gifted with an extremely high wall jump (Comparable to Kirby’s normal jump)

Crawl

Black Cat can crawl forward at about Ganondorf’s dash speed, making this useful as an approach

Tether

Black Cat’s Z-Air is a tether recovery with range comparable to Sheik’s Side-B.

Specials

>Neutral Special: Distractions
Black Cat smiles as she leans forward and pulls at the neck of her outfit, exposing her anatomy a bit. The “attack” causes all opponents affected to stop what they’re doing and eye her chest for a moment. Since the endlag of the attack lasts the same amount of time that the opponent is stopped for (Rendering it useless as a stunning tool), this basically serves as a way to interrupt the attack of an opponent. While simple, and somewhat wimpy sounding, this can be used to stop Final Smashes, stall the game, and assist teammates. The entire animation of the attack is just half a second, and since it has almost no lag on either end, it’s a pretty safe move to use. The “attack” only affects opponents who are facing Black Cat and whose heads are within one stage builder block of her position (Vertically). Its use is somewhat impaired by two factors:
1)
This does not affect the following characters:
-Peach
-Yoshi
-Zelda/Sheik
-Samus/ZSS
-Nana (Popo is affected normally)
-ROB
-Kirby
-Pikachu
-Pokémon Trainer
-Jigglypuff

And has a reduced effect (Flinching knockback only) on the following characters:
-Diddy
-Toon Link
-Meta Knight
-King Dedede
-Sonic
2)
This stales extremely fast. After three uses, it’s totally unusable for the rest of the match. This attack should be used conservatively at most.

>Side Special: Wall Climb
Black Cat fires a concealed grapple hook from her wrist. This has a very straight trajectory, and travels the length of the platform on Yoshi’s Island (Brawl) before recoiling. If it connects to a wall (It has no effect on characters), it pulls Black Cat to the wall, much like a Melee tether. However, unlike a Melee tether, Black Cat extends her claws and uses them to scale the wall. (She does this in her crawling animation, which is pretty standard for crawling animations. She always faces up while crawling, as she crawls backwards to move down).Once attached to a wall, Black Cat is free to climb up and down (Although she can’t crawl on ceilings) at Sheik’s crawl speed for up to six seconds before she falls off, helpless.
While on the wall, Black Cat has three options: Climb up and down the wall, Jump off the wall, or Attack. Climbing up and down is pretty self explanatory. Its main uses lie in recovery. By jumping off the wall, Black Cat reduces her time there (Obviously), but in exchange, she doesn’t go into helpless state. Black Cat can’t use her Side-B twice in one airtrip, mind you. She’s got to return to the ground to recover its use. Despite being a bit generic, the attack is a little more interesting. The attack itself is merely a rapid upwards claw swipe that deals 5% damage and slight upward knockback. What’s interesting about it is that it can be used to effectively drive your opponent up the wall (In more ways than one). This attack combos into itself pretty well, so Black Cat can hit (Non-DI’ing) opponents with this up to 8 times, for a nice 40% total if she’s lucky. Unfortunately, Black Cat will rarely be approached while she’s on a wall, but this has very high priority to compensate.

>Up Special: Grapple
Black Cat shoots a grapple upwards and diagonally (Generic tether recovery description FTW!). The grapple will hook onto the bottom of whatever part of the stage or any platform it hits, leaving Black Cat dangling below like any other tether recovery. However, this recovery works a bit different from most tethers. While dangling from the bottom of the cable, Black Cat can either climb up the rope, jump from the rope, or swing back and forth on the rope to gain momentum and distance. Picking up some momentum is usually the best recovery option in terms of distance (It increases Black Cat’s jump height/length to three times the norm), but it’s insanely gimpable. In order to avoid being gimped, Black Cat will often need to jump with very little momentum or from the top of the rope. This doesn’t put Black Cat into helpless state, so it can often be combined with her ordinary Z-Air to get back to the stage. Still, she suffers a bit due to the recovery being so slow.

>Down Special: Tightrope
Black Cat fires a grapple in the direction the analog stick is held in. If this hits a platform (Not the main stage) it will make a clanking noise and latch there. Pressing Down-B again will result in Black Cat firing off the other end of the cable, creating a tightrope between the two targeted platforms (If the same platform was targeted twice, the player fails at life, and the cable disappears instantly). This tightrope has no effect on opponents, but Black Cat can use it as an additional platform. She is completely able to walk on, crawl on, attack on, or drop through the tightrope. This is more useful on some stages than others. It’s particularly useful on stages such as Battlefield or Pokémon Stadium 1, where Black Cat can create a large area on which to combo the crap out of people. This has little start-lag or end-lag, but the attack itself is lengthy, and requires good aim, as if either grapple misses, the attack is ended instantly.

Standard Attacks

>Basic Combo: Claws of the Cat
This is pretty standard for a Jab combo. Black Cat performs one swipe with her left hand (2% damage, flinching knockback, low priority, almost zero lag), followed by a swipe from her right (Pretty much the same, but does 4% damage instead of 2%), then a swipe from both at the same time (7% damage, very, very low knockback, average priority, and tiny lag). For the final hit, Black Cat jumps forward and kicks out with both legs, similar to Snake’s Back Aerial. This is very powerful, but leaves her in her tripped state, and open to attack.
However, after pressing the attack button once, the combo completes itself with no more inputs before repeating.. During this lengthy jab combo, the player can press the attack button during the start-up of any of the four hits to skip that part of the attack and move on to the next hit. This means that you can easily skip straight to the final hit and hope for a KO, or rack up some damage first.
The fourth hit of this attack is Cat’s best KO move, delivering 12% damage and killing around the mid 80’s. Unfortunately, even the most mediocre of opponents will be able to DI out of the weak attacks in the 60’s/70’s, before this gets a chance to hit. It does have very high priority and reaches about 1.5 Battlefield platforms away from where Black Cat started, though.

>Dash Attack: Quick Stop
Cat instantly stops running instantly as she performs the last Tilt/Smash/Jab Combo that she used with no start-up lag. If she hasn’t used one of these attacks yet, then nothing happens after she stops. This can be used as a way to perform any of Black Cat’s attacks instantly from a dash. This is very useful for landing hits in general, but it’s best used as a combo move or as a surprise attack. Although your opponent may become suspicious if you perform an attack in the middle of nowhere and then dash right at him.

Tilts

>Forward Tilt: Triple Kick
Black Cat kicks out horizontally with her left leg twice before pivoting and kicking out with her right leg. Like some other F-Tilts/F-Smashes, this can be angled up or down. The first hit has average priority, moderate start-up lag, and zero endlag. The second is the same, but with much less start-up lag. They both deal 3% damage and flinching, inward knockback each. The third hit has lower priority, but deals out 6% damage and very low knockback, with very little endlag (12% damage total). However, the third hit has a small sweetspot at Black Cat’s heel. This sweetspot deals 15% damage and very high knockback, KO’ing around 70%. Regrettably, the sweetspot is very difficult to hit with, as anyone hit by the first two kicks is knocked towards Black Cat and away from the sweetspot. This attack can be cancelled, by using the shield button, which makes it a pretty safe attack to use. Its main application is as a set-up move, as it combos into Black Cat’s F-Smash very well. Occasionally, if someone tries to SDI the wrong way out of the attack, they’ll get blasted by the sweetspot on Black Cat’s foot, which gives some nice damage.

>Up Tilt: Feline Frenzy
Black Cat rakes one claw over her head, then the other. While she only does this once if the button is tapped, holding the button results in Black Cat repeating the motion constantly, gaining speed until her arms become a little blurred (This takes about 5 seconds). Both claws do 6% damage and very low knockback (This is equivalent to flinching at low percents, and barely any more than that at high percents). Like most of Black Cat’s attacks, they have low priority. While this attack can be held infinitely, the endlag is proportionate to the amount of time spent in the attack. With a tap of the button, this results in almost zero endlag, but holding the button for 5 seconds gives you an entire second of endlag. This seems to encourage never letting go of the button, but Black Cat auto-releases after 6 seconds and goes into her dizzy state (As though her shield was broken) for 2 seconds. This can be used either as a combo move or to rack up damage, but only at low percents.

>Down Tilt: Surprise Attack
From a crawling position, Black Cat kicks out behind her and low to the ground, with 1 frame of lag on either end. This deals 4% and pops opponents upward to about Ganondorf-height directly above Black Cat (Yes, it has set knockback). The attack has very high priority for a jointed hitbox. This deters approaches from behind, as well as being a fantastic combo move.

Smashes

>Forward Smash: Flying Kick
Black Cat goes into a crouching position and spreads her arms out. When the charge is released, Black Cat executes a short jump forward (The distance of the jump is dependent on charge. Uncharged, she jumps forward two Battlefield platforms and one is one Bowser-height upward at the peak of her jump. Fully charged, she moves forward four Battlefield platforms, and one and a half Bowser-heights upward). At any point during her flight, pressing A will cause her to turn around and unleash a strong kick in the opposite direction of the input. She can also jump out of the Smash-jump. Jumping out of the attack is somewhat beneficial, as it makes for some great mindgames and creates a few options for Black Cat. The kick deals 7% damage and low knockback uncharged, and 14% damage and high knockback (Kills at 110%) fully charged. The attack has moderate start-up lag average priority, and almost no landing lag. This is probably Black Cat’s most reliable finisher, although it is somewhat difficult to land.

>Up Smash: Cable Yank
While charging, Black Cat looks upward and holds her right wrist in her left hand. Once the attack is released, Black Cat fires a cable straight upward and then retracts it immediately. Any character hit by the cable is dragged down to the stage and slammed into the ground (They’re left in their tripped position). This has average priority, comes out extremely fast, and has very little endlag. Damage and the length of the cable are dependent on the charge of the attack, and range from 6% and range comparable to ZSS’s Up-Smash all the way to 15% and range comparable to twice that of ZSS’s Up-Smash. The main purpose of the attack is to bring airborne opponents back to the stage to be beaten.

>Down Smash: Bad Luck
Black Cat does nothing while the attack charges. She flashes yellowish, like with most Smash attacks, but she remains in her Standard/Idle pose. When the attack is released, a solid, black circle flashes around Black Cat (The range is, you guessed it, dependent on charge. With no charge, this has a radius of 0.25 of a Battlefield platform. At full charge, this has a radius of two and a half Battlefield platforms.). Anyone in the circle suffers from a few status effects:
1) 3x Normal Chance of Tripping (This is not a lasting effect. If you don’t trip immediately, you’re probably fine)
2) Any luck-based attacks (Game & Watch’s Judgement, Dedede’s Waddle Dee Throw, etc.) will automatically have the worst possible outcome for the next ten seconds (G&W will get all ones on Judgement; Luigi’s B-Side will never misfire, etc.)
3) Opponents have a 50% chance of turning in the opposite direction next time they use an attack.
The best use of this is simply to throw people off their game. It’s a pretty safe option, and is priority neutral, so it’s usually a good idea to throw it out there during a lull in combat.

Aerials

>Neutral Aerial: Enhanced Balance
Black Cat instantly flips to an upright position in the air. This has no lag on either end, and the attack itself only takes three frames. She does deal 1% damage and low knockback to anyone touching her as she flips up. More importantly, this allows her to right herself rapidly in the air (It’s a lot faster than her airdodge).

>Forward Aerial: Scissor Kick
Black Cat leans backward so that her body is horizontal in the air, then kicks both of her legs out. She then brings them back together. The first hitbox of the attack is her legs as she kicks them out sideways. This deals 8% damage and knocks the opponent into the background for a moment (Equal in time to the character’s airdodge).
The second hitbox is created as she brings her legs back together. Anyone caught in between them is wrenched sideways, with Black Cat using the leverage to stand on top of them in the air. They can button-mash out of this as in a grab, but it takes 1 second. While riding the other person, Black Cat can press A to stomp on them, dealing 5% damage and sending them back upwards (High knockback). Also, Black Cat can jump off the victim, or use any of her Tilts or Smashes while riding on them. The move has quite a bit of start-lag, but little end-lag, and average priority. The character she is riding is stomped into the ground as though they were hit by a Pitfall if they hit the stage while being ridden. This has lots of endlag if she misses, but practically none if she lands the attack.

>Back Aerial: Reverse Kick
Black Cat kicks one leg out behind her. Her leg is bent at the knee so that her foot points almost upward, and doesn’t extend that far from her body. She deals out a whopping 2% damage and average vertical knockback. The attack has mediocre priority, but comes out extremely fast, with average endlag. This is somewhat situational, as its only real use is as an aerial GTFO.

>Up Aerial: Swipe
Black Cat swings her claw vertically above her, with reach a little lower than Mario’s F-Air. This deals 3% and low forward knockback. It has low priority and moderate lag on both ends of the attack. This is rarely useful, but can be used to refresh stale moves, since you really shouldn't care if this one is fresh or not.

>Down Aerial: Plummet
Black Cat spread-eagles her body and goes into fast-fall. Anyone she runs into is caught (This has high priority), and dragged downwards with her. If she drags someone onto the stage, they receive 5% damage and are knocked upwards a short distance, while Cat flips to her feet, ready to take advantage. If she hits the stage without a victim, she looks disgusted, and takes a second to get up. Much like the scissor kick, this can be used as a suicide or to drag people back to the stage (Although it’s a bit more practical for that purpose).

Throws

>Grab: Grapple Cable
Black Cat fires her grapple from her wrist. This has grab range comparable to Link’s, and Tether range comparable to Sheik’s Side-B. The grab has little start-up lag, but a lot of endlag, like most tethers. It’s not quite as slow as ZSS’s, but it’s not fast. When used as an attack in the air, it doesn’t have a hitbox per se. However, it will latch on to any item within its tether range (Even if it’s being held by another character), and bring it to Black Cat.

>Pummel: Claw
Cat rakes at the opponent’s stomach with her claws. This only does 0.5%, but it’s ridiculously spammable.

>Forward Throw: Knockdown
Black Cat kicks the victim of the grab to the ground so that they land in their tripped position and take 2% damage, with a high amount of hitstun.

>Back Throw: Spinning Kick
Black Cat pushes the opponent behind her before rapidly pivoting to deliver a roundhouse kick to the face. This deals 8% damage and high knockback (Kills at 120%). The animation takes about 1 second.

>Up Throw: Power Struggle
Cat pushes against the shoulders of her opponent, and they do likewise to her. Whoever button-mashes the most (Hits the most buttons) during the next 3 seconds knocks the opponent to the ground for 10% damage before they ricochet back up. Black Cat initially has an advantage, as she gets five button inputs added to her total, but this is decreased-and can even go negative-as the move stales.

>Down Throw: Toying With the Enemy
Black Cat leans into the victim of the grab until she’s at a distance that would be considered either very intimate or very uncomfortable. She tickles the chin of the victim a little, then laughs and throws them so that they ricochet off the ground in front of her, causing 5% damage and easily leading into an F-Tilt.

Situational Attacks

>Ledge Attack < 100: Meteor Kick
Cat rears back one leg and then brings it down rapidly, spiking the opponent and giving 7% damage. The knockback is just average for a spike, but still deadly. This has low priority and only moderate endlag, but very little start-up lag.

>Ledge Attack > 100: Back Flip
Black Cat back-flips away from the ledge, spinning multiple times in the air. She completes her flip one quarter of a second and four Battlefield Platforms backward (Same elevation), then fires a cable that tethers to the ledge she flipped from (Unless someone’s occupying the ledge, of course). During her flip, her entire body acts as a hitbox, dealing 2% damage and low knockback away from the ledge. The attack has low priority and low lag times. This works well as an edgeguarding tool, but Black Cat needs to be careful not to use it when the opponent is on the stage or able to get to the ledge quickly, as it could backfire on her.

>Downed/Tripped/Flipped Attack: Smoke Bomb
Black Cat throws a small pellet towards the ground, creating a plume of smoke twice the size of that from a Smoke Ball on contact. The smoke from a smoke bomb doesn’t change color (It stays white), but it provides a bit better cover than a Smoke Ball as well. After the smoke bomb breaks, Black Cat quickly gets up (About five frames). This is mainly used to provide cover and confuse the opponent.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
BLACK CAT
I'm glad you prefaced this set by saying it was intended for MYM6, because Black Cat has several flaws that would prevent it from being accepted in this day and age (no Final Smash?? WTF, man!). Seriously though, Black Cat has some interesting concepts. Her rope-related specials have potential, but you seemingly ignore said potential and give her a handful of generic combo scratches and kicks that would have fit on Zero Suit Samus. Another element I would -love- to see expanded upon is Down Smash. It feels out of place where it is (similarly to MYM6 Hades' F-Tilt and N-Air, as well as Black Cat's own N-Special, which seems slapped on just for the novelty of seeing her 'anatomy'), but could definitely make for an interesting separate playstyle. Rigging the random elements of the game against characters would work well in-Smash, although maybe not so much in MYM, seeing as how our sets attempt to eliminate randomness. Black Cat may not be perfect as a set, but it's refreshing to see that even back in MYM6, you understand what makes for interesting moves. I hope you can take some of these ideas and turn them into a cohesive playstyle for a future set. If you could pull that off properly, you could easily rise in the MYM ranks.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Catwoman
Even with the set's condition, methinks that the character choice is quite interesting (kinda reminds me of MYM7's Vemon with the organisation and all). It's a pretty good thing you didn't put Catwoman in the graveyard - yeah.

I don't really have much to say, seeing as how there's no point criticising the set or doing anything since you've gotten a lot better with your sets this MYM. None the less, Catwoman is a pretty cool read.

MYMr's sets Paris/London and Glameow
The qualitiy of your sets is a pretty cool thing. They are fairly simple, yet colorful - which of course is a good thing. By no means will I try to criticize your way of doing things. I guess the point of a comment is to like, have someone say that they like your set - and see what there be for improving.

I remember your first set Paris and London Traves when you posted them on mah Dio, but there's nothing wrong with that of course. While I usually dislike OCs, yours is something of interest. Let's see; 2 twin boys, aged 15 who were happy living a normal life until they got into a car crash and were then sewn together and placed in a utopia thingymebob. What would their parents think? Do they think they are dead maybe? I'd be guessing that would be the case though it probably doesn't matter.

Based on the taunts/victory poses, regardless of how much thought was put into them, I would think of Paris and London as pretending to be happy, though they are really sad inside and want to return to normal life. I presume their friends Oiler and Shuffle are people they befriended, and are trying to escape into the real world or something.

And then there's the thing you do with the magical circles. It kind of gets suspicious from there, interpreting some kind of fantasy story. Methinks the doctor dude is the bad guy.

When you think about it, there doesn't have to be a lot of detail behind the backstory and plot, if much at all. The backstory of these fellas would be something fun to extend on in a Make Your Move Story Mode.

As for Glameow. . .

I hear she's caught a bit of flack you're unhappy about. Of course, if Glameow does that kind of thing in the anime, then methinks it's AOK to put it in a set. Actually, other people's opinions don't really matter. One of the good things about MYM is that you can have about 3 people do a moveset for the same character and they'll all be different. The set you've done for Glameow is basically the interpretation you've done for the character.

That aside for a while, I see that you've created a new attack showing format from your first set, AND reminded us that SBB = Stage Builder Block. I know what you'd think; people may not be familar with that kind of measurement when reading the set, though you don't have to worry, cus Im sure pretty much everyone here is familar with it. Just for future reference.

While on the subject of attacks, methinks Swift is too good, as it basically never stops targeting the foe until they've gotten hit by it, and Glameow fires 3 that do 5% each. Also, there is no limitation to how many times Glameow can use it - once at a time would be good enough for me, as well as if the stars were more scattered out. I mean, it's a great concept; using homing stars that keep in targeting the foe no matter what. It's simple yet creative and could fit into a neat playstyle. Also, Shockwave is a pretty good idea as well; recovering while setting a trap. It's a concept that is barely touched upon.

Also, don't worry about those guys and their Pokemon Syndrome. If you want to keep on making sets, do so - it is much fun.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
GLAMEOW

I think the critizing comments of Glameow should've focused on other more pressing matters than Pokemon syndrome - the Pokemon syndrome is very minimal. Upon hearing all the complaints I expected it to be all throughout the set, but it's essentially all contained in the fsmash. . .Granted, it'd work best if Glameow was part of a trainer set, seeing it takes moves from other Pokemon in the player's party. Yes, we are aware that the anime is why Pikachu, Jiggs, Mewtwo, and Lucario are all in, though using that as an excuse to justify that move is kind of stretching it a bit. This is a problem of just you not finding a good way to defend your set, though, not the set itself. This whole ordeal is massively blown out of proportion and the set has no problems with Pokemon Syndrome. Even Thunderbolt which you tossed in as a throw isn't as bad as it could be, considering it's the only random special attack Glameow gets unlike all the other Normal Pokemon that get every last trick it the book.

. . .As for the actual set, while the attacks are very simplistic, Glameow has impressively minimal potential. I'm not asking you to make every attack that creative by itself on such a simple character, you did a fairly good job with the individual attacks for Glameow. . .What I want to see is the attacks contributing more to some sort of goal to make Glameow play more uniquely. That's my actual complaint with the set - the moves don't come together as a set.

MYM'r

Smash Cadet
MYMr's sets Paris/London and Glameow
The qualitiy of your sets is a pretty cool thing. They are fairly simple, yet colorful - which of course is a good thing. By no means will I try to criticize your way of doing things. I guess the point of a comment is to like, have someone say that they like your set - and see what there be for improving.

I remember your first set Paris and London Traves when you posted them on mah Dio, but there's nothing wrong with that of course. While I usually dislike OCs, yours is something of interest. Let's see; 2 twin boys, aged 15 who were happy living a normal life until they got into a car crash and were then sewn together and placed in a utopia thingymebob. What would their parents think? Do they think they are dead maybe? I'd be guessing that would be the case though it probably doesn't matter.

Based on the taunts/victory poses, regardless of how much thought was put into them, I would think of Paris and London as pretending to be happy, though they are really sad inside and want to return to normal life. I presume their friends Oiler and Shuffle are people they befriended, and are trying to escape into the real world or something.

And then there's the thing you do with the magical circles. It kind of gets suspicious from there, interpreting some kind of fantasy story. Methinks the doctor dude is the bad guy.

When you think about it, there doesn't have to be a lot of detail behind the backstory and plot, if much at all. The backstory of these fellas would be something fun to extend on in a Make Your Move Story Mode.

As for Glameow. . .

I hear she's caught a bit of flack you're unhappy about. Of course, if Glameow does that kind of thing in the anime, then methinks it's AOK to put it in a set. Actually, other people's opinions don't really matter. One of the good things about MYM is that you can have about 3 people do a moveset for the same character and they'll all be different. The set you've done for Glameow is basically the interpretation you've done for the character.

That aside for a while, I see that you've created a new attack showing format from your first set, AND reminded us that SBB = Stage Builder Block. I know what you'd think; people may not be familar with that kind of measurement when reading the set, though you don't have to worry, cus Im sure pretty much everyone here is familar with it. Just for future reference.

While on the subject of attacks, methinks Swift is too good, as it basically never stops targeting the foe until they've gotten hit by it, and Glameow fires 3 that do 5% each. Also, there is no limitation to how many times Glameow can use it - once at a time would be good enough for me, as well as if the stars were more scattered out. I mean, it's a great concept; using homing stars that keep in targeting the foe no matter what. It's simple yet creative and could fit into a neat playstyle. Also, Shockwave is a pretty good idea as well; recovering while setting a trap. It's a concept that is barely touched upon.

Also, don't worry about those guys and their Pokemon Syndrome. If you want to keep on making sets, do so - it is much fun.
Thank you Kapultar. You are my hero

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
Hey.
Sorry for not being on the thread (MYM in general for that matter)for like a year now XD.

I may try getting more active again, as well as read and review more sets.
:bee:.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
First of all, Hi Jimny! :bee:

@Black Cat:

To start things off, nice picture. :laugh:

Black Cat's Neutral Special is pretty nifty, though I feel like it should affect everyone anyway (with the possible exception of ROB). I'm not sure why it has a reduced effect on some characters. I also like the Down Special, even if its use seems kind of limited. Like others, I'm also a fan of Down Smash, it's got some nifty effects (is she able to do that in the comics?). The rest of Cat's moves are a clever collection kicks and slashes; she's kind of reminiscent of Sheik or Zero Suit Samus in this way. At least some moves have their own little quirks.

Altogether, Black Cat's not the most flashy set, but she's quite simple, and that's nice every once and a while. This is supposed to be a really old set, too, so that's nice. Thanks for sharing, n88! :bee:

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Hey all! Part one of Moveset Graveyard #7 is up HERE

Part two will be up later; I just wanted to divide it in half so it wasn't such a massive read all at once; expect two more sets to be up in the Graveyard later today! As for now, enjoy Blastoise by TWILTHERO and Muk by agidius!

EDIT: And here's PART 2. Sableye by myself and Torterra by Khold.
:035:

Wizzerd

Smash Ace
Black Cat

Seeing as this was made in MYM6, I'll try not to be too harsh on it, which is a good thing, since I'm not all that fond of it. First, you need a Final Smash. (wary)

The Neutral Special, as hilarious and (yum) as it is, doesn't seem that relevant to anything and only seems included for the imaginary titillation. In addition, the somewhat longwinded list of people it does and doesn't effect is a little unneccessary when you could just say that it's less effective on females or whatever. There are a couple of other issues skimming through - a jab combo with typical jab lag (presumably), the potential to kill in the 80s - no matter how easy it is to DI out of - a platform and a half of range and great priority is pretty ridiculous, the Dash Attack sounds like something that can be done by any character with the right reflexes or just by a minimechanic - but I should stop myself. I shouldn't be too critical of a set made so long ago.

If there's one thing I want to make a note of, it's the Down Smash. It's sort of random, but clever, and a sort of concept I'd like to see expanded on. Like Kupa said, if you were able to come up with it in the MYM6 days, I can't wait to see what you can come up with two MYMs later (ignoring the fact that you have a good few sets already this contest)... I didn't really like Black Cat as a set, but that's sort of irrelevant when it's so old, and it definitely shows potential.​

Top Bottom