• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

strawhats

Smash Master
So...Hbox new #1 at Genesis 3 without Armada?
He must get through Mango/PP...I'd hope m2k can start taking sets off of Hbox/make their sets more interesting.(He beat hbox at Rom 3, which was a damn good while ago)

I hope what I heard about Hbox retiring is a rumor though.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Hbox did really well against Mango from what I could tell watching live. Hadn't had a chance to rewatch it yet, but I remember seeing a lot of good stuff.

And it's completely unrelated, but he clutched out that teams match with the Puff ditto. :cool:

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
So, i posted something similar in the fox thread, but I've been thinking about jiggs:

I'm a noob, and probably wont be going to tournaments antime soon, but I'd like to get good. and be able to use advanced stuff (wavedashing, shuffling, etc.) effectively.

Where should I start with jiggs? combos or wavedashing? (obviously there's overlap, but you know what I mean)

Thanks in advance!
(If i posted this in the wrong place just let me know)
You need to get used to how many frames it takes to move certain significant increments of space when airborne.

Be aware that attacks override the momentum decay in Puff and Kirby's DJs. But each attack removes a different amount.

Get used to chaining aerials at low percents by cutting important paths or following a safe poke with another one.

Get good at hitting the end of your fair when you FF into it on opponents recovering low so you can combo into more fair.

Be good at FFing into low aerial spontaneously during the air. And with forward / back drifts and such.

:phone:

Voltz

Smash Journeyman
He must get through Mango/PP...I'd hope m2k can start taking sets off of Hbox/make their sets more interesting.(He beat hbox at Rom 3, which was a damn good while ago)

I hope what I heard about Hbox retiring is a rumor though.
If you look at his posts, you will see he has taken a large interest in Brawl.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have noticed, but can Peach SDI it?
:jigglypuffmelee:
Obviously they should be able to, but Puff has great mobility so we can follow it up. What I actually mean't was that Peach is super easy to force into flipping and her flipping animation is long and her hurtbox becomes so huge you practically cannot miss the rest.

Tekk

Smash Lord
Puffs have no creativity
You've obviously never played me
Small local this week-end, I'll make sure I finally get something recorded

I wish I could participate more here, but I feel that everytime someone asks something it's either basic stuff we've gone over 300 times already, or really situational and accessory gimmicks. No offense meant, and I'm to blame as well if these boards aren't more active.

Uh... What do you guys think about straight rests (inb4 "as opposed to gay rests") ? That is to say rests that weren't set up by a combo-starting move like upair or uptilt. It's a part of puff's gameplay that I find both very efficient and risky, and I've worked quite a lot on it. Should resting at anytime possible be a priority for puffs ? Or do you think being the safest you can, and thus only going for 100% sure rests with minimum backfire is a better option ?

_Rocky_

Smash Ace
I wish I could participate more here, but I feel that everytime someone asks something it's either basic stuff we've gone over 300 times already, or really situational and accessory gimmicks. No offense meant, and I'm to blame as well if these boards aren't more active.
why don't you guys just make a FAQ in the OP or something then

Mahone

Smash Champion
You've obviously never played me
Small local this week-end, I'll make sure I finally get something recorded

Uh... What do you guys think about straight rests (inb4 "as opposed to gay rests") ? That is to say rests that weren't set up by a combo-starting move like upair or uptilt. It's a part of puff's gameplay that I find both very efficient and risky, and I've worked quite a lot on it. Should resting at anytime possible be a priority for puffs ? Or do you think being the safest you can, and thus only going for 100% sure rests with minimum backfire is a better option ?
i think u should always take the rest, ive seen u do some of that stuff and its always blown me away, i think it has a lot of potential

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I just realized the reason for rest percent amount.

@tekk I still remember you resting that samus player while Go was still in the screen. Random rests too good, those are the ones people don't expect and Di like ****. However, i would be worried about going for them against grounded opponents in case they shield it.

Tekk

Smash Lord
If your timing is right (like predicting a roll or something), they won't have time to shield, you only need 1 frame to rest someone.

Mahone

Smash Champion
ya against peach ive tried to like predict a spotdodge or jump oos and then quickly confirm im right and rest...

its really hard, but i think its worth it

Tekk

Smash Lord
Well is calling a roll really a random rest?
I will admit, good reaction timing is great for puff.
Exactly ! That's why i think practicing fast characters like fox or falcon can really boost your puff.

She has a lot of potential for immediate counterstriking (English is so funny sometimes), like doing a quick dash pivot grab on a fox nairplaning, or PSing falco's dair into a rest (which is pretty situational though, you have to PS the first few frames of the move).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Resting spotdodges feels really good. They won't be spotdodging for a while after that.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I've been practicing pikachu and definitely got my fingers moving faster but on the subject of fast secondaries, **** switching back to puff on a whim though. I can't do anything without like...ten seconds of shuffling

Yeah, the best thing about rest is the fear. I love it when someone over extends then says oh **** and runs away cause they forgot I had down b.

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
straight rests are pretty cool but they seem kinda gimmicky to me so i never really think to go for them in singles, but in teams it's a different story

there's a puff out here in the midwest named andale who's famous for the most wtf random rests...dude uses rest more than bair

can i get some help re: puff's combo game vs sheik? i've been playing with darkatma recently and i feel like i can outspace his sheik most of the time and get a lot of 1st hits in but he still usually beats me just because when he hits me he gets a nice little 2-3 piece combo out of it whereas i'm usually just poking at him with aerials. like i know once i get an up air or utilt i can combo the crap out of her but atma's good so he doesn't let me get those too much. most of my combos end up coming from d-throw --> platform shenanigans OR poke until she gets to 80% then nair --> fsmash --> edgeguard. what combo starters do you guys look for vs sheiks who won't give you the free u-air/u-tilt?

Bones0

Smash Legend
I like to rest OoS the same as shining OoS. They have to be super deep on your shield obviously, but as a Falco I always try to go super deep to avoid grabs and bairs OoS, and to make sure I can chase WD OoS as best as possible. Puff's such a small target that it's pretty hard to pressure her without being inside rest OoS range. The whole concept of free-ballin' rests just seems really risky though. If matches started with 20 stocks, it'd be awesome to spam it all game as long as you can maintain > 50% consistency, but obviously it's much more make or break when you only have 4 stocks.

Mahone

Smash Champion
straight rests are pretty cool but they seem kinda gimmicky to me so i never really think to go for them in singles, but in teams it's a different story

there's a puff out here in the midwest named andale who's famous for the most wtf random rests...dude uses rest more than bair

can i get some help re: puff's combo game vs sheik? i've been playing with darkatma recently and i feel like i can outspace his sheik most of the time and get a lot of 1st hits in but he still usually beats me just because when he hits me he gets a nice little 2-3 piece combo out of it whereas i'm usually just poking at him with aerials. like i know once i get an up air or utilt i can combo the crap out of her but atma's good so he doesn't let me get those too much. most of my combos end up coming from d-throw --> platform shenanigans OR poke until she gets to 80% then nair --> fsmash --> edgeguard. what combo starters do you guys look for vs sheiks who won't give you the free u-air/u-tilt?
this isn't incredibly good advice but id rather say it than something you already know, but if you catch the sheik slippin, u can pound her in the air and get really good rests/combos off of that... obv not a spammable thing, but something that comes up

idk, in general i don't see why u feel the need to combo her so badly, it sounds like ur just spacing her out, then getting some dthrows when she sheilds and getting kill setups, so you should be winning, maybe you need to focus on the defense

just taking space should be good enough since u are really good when shes forced to the edge and eventually off stage, and if she is needing to get back to center stage a lot you should get more opportunities for upairs even if they are good

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
<3

I think about changing to Fox every two-three months, and really never play that much puff unless there's a tourney incoming the next week or so. Somehow I think it helps my puff in some ways, because when I start training really hard with her again it's kind of like you got a blank sheet of paper, like looking at your character with new eyes. Things aren't that cluttered with regards to bad habits and stagnant playstyle. It feels more fresh to play her.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Why would you switch to Fox when you can play Puff and be awesome? There are way too many Foxes already too.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Well I guess it's that I've always used Puff and will always keep using Puff. No other character feels comfortable no matter how I look at it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
0:45 - I think you should go at Falco harder when he's lasering, especially by the ledge. He will pretty much have to shield since he has no good hitboxes to throw out in front of him when he's facing you, and even weak trades (like fair) are so scary for him.

5:15 - Yessssssss (u jelly Mahone?)

5:40 - He kept doing DJDLs onto side plats, and it seemed to hit you cause you kept going high. You probably could have stayed below side plat height and baired his feet as he lands, but maybe it would have just let him jump off the side plat and dair you at center stage, so idk. At least stop jumping into free laser damage every time.

5:48 - That's broken.

6:28 - I love when Puffs do that **** (except when it's done to me...).

7:20 - Bair dat jump OoS by the ledge, homie.

7:40 - Yessssss, I still love it. lol

I'll watch game 3 later. You make me sad I can't move properly with Puff. lol

idea

Smash Master
lol i saw the second one already from my youtube subscriptions, pretty fun to watch. making someone roll onto you then resting them is the best.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
this character sux im switching mains to fox
Puff is really hard to play. Fox's ease of play is half true, half myth. His freedom is tempting but the lack of structure can make decision-based misplays easy. His fragility is also something you're going to come to hate, especially vs hyper-punishment oriented players. Said fragility will be even more excruciating when they pick the one play that countered yours (seemingly by accident) and you lose a whole stock for it.

Good luck either way, though. You know I'm rooting for you! ^_^

Starting a combo on Sheik is mostly about hitting her out of the air with a move that possesses some form of combo potential. Mostly because she's going to generally be holding down on the ground (or shielding) for obvious reasons. This actually opens up a few pseudo combo starters (space an attack, wait for the counterattack, then go for the combo starter [uair, pound]) and drill > grab / other stuff but that kind of thing is less consistent. That said, more d-throw in the platform situation vs Sheik. And go for more than the rest.

That said, SH uair to out-time her fair is strong. It also conveniently works well vs her nair and bair in a lot of positions so there's that too because of how the former winds up being timed to maximize hitbox effectiveness, and because of how the hitboxes are arranged on the former.

If you can hit a relatively low, strong fair on her at low percent that's spaced to avoid her crouch options then you can usually 50/50 between baiting the crouch punish with a big play (jump away, react, pound if she does anything suspicious or go around her with the intention to uair) or grabbing her for shielding / remaining passive. She can counter this with movement-based defenses like jumping away, WDing away, or even rolling if space permits (Sheik's back roll is amazing) but few Sheiks do those.

If she's playing mostly ground, just try to control her so she winds up in the d-throw trap position or at the edge. Either will facilitate comboing, or you'll kill her outright with the gimp. Her air mobility is bad and her weight is perfect for offstage combos at any percent. And if you suck at those, doesn't matter anyway because her up+B lag screams for a rest and she doesn't even have a good punish on you so death isn't a worry until like 80%+

@ Tekk - I was referring more to people asking for ways to rest Peach. People list the obvious combo moves into rest that the initial inquirer more than likely already knows. Why not talk about some of the situational and creative ways to land rest on Peach? Gives you a little less transparency with your intention. And way more threat. With a character who's all about keeping the opponent on their toes. Keeping the possibility of death constantly hanging overhead is a good way to do that.

Top Bottom