• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Implying that we need to have it :cool:
I don't know you aside from saying hello to you at APEX 2012 and complimenting your name on the boards. That said, I'm gonna take a wild guess and assume you adopted HBox's style plus your own... I don't want to say "flaws" so I'm gonna say "flavour".

Since adopting HBox with a twist as your mode of piloting hot air balloons, have you become a tournament threat player? No? Then I think you need to revise your stance on that. I understand your comment was likely a joke, and this wall of text is likely not warranted. Understand I'm not addressing you specifically at this point but rather the whole idea that Puff is a 4 move character who recycles the same strategy to win. I think this is a serious misconception that needs to be fixed. And I certainly don't want this to spread to new players because I think mindsets that promote stagnation is one of the biggest barriers to character growth.

Anyway, enough of that. I'll get to the point.

Puff is solid but misunderstood IMO. I feel Puff affords room for creativity in really unique ways because of how her options are always retained in her base form of movement (drifting in the air). She takes like 3-5 frames to move a whole character body in the air. That's so ridiculous (imagine being able to WD a body length in 5 frames but you're able to action however you please during the whole procedure; it's similar to that). This trait affords her the ability to effectively maneuver while still retaining almost all her important moves, some major threats, and the means to adjust the type of hit she's doing it (fast fall, drift in another direction, DJ to stall or maneuver, DJ momentum shifts [DJ momentum is different when combined with an attack], a huge airdodge [buffs triangle jumping], and probably more stuff I've forgotten).

She has so much room for a really complex and sophisticated timing & spacing game with her attacks & positioning. She literally has options in quantity and to a degree that no other character does in terms of how she can position herself. So many things I try in experimentation with this character I still have yet to see some of the average level Puffs try (no, this is not me stating my Puff is better; just that I think some of my ideas are good and I feel Puffs still follow a formula). On top of this, she constantly exerts a ton of threat because of rest, which also skews her risk-reward game in a really slanted way (similar to ICs). But because rest is more versatile than synced grab, it's a totally different beast (can be set up by way more moves) and there's no free pass by killing a computer. This creates a really dynamic character and I feel everyone's trying to bring the game to a halt despite how volatile she can be and how strong she is when she's making stuff happen.

I don't want new players to overlook all these ridiculous things by attempting to follow a style that possesses both mindset restrictions and a level of patience that I simply do not think most players possess. I honestly do not think there will be another HBox for a very long time. Only M2K and Armada can play a style like that among the top players IMO and maintain the composure needed for it to work.

I require a disclaimer for this type of post. Make no mistake; there's nothing wrong with borrowing ideas or using a pro's style to form the foundation of yours. But this is getting ridiculous. It's 2013 and yet I swear every time someone asks for help the response is, "Bair more, be more patient." This is not the only way to play this character and I don't even think it's optimal all the time. Even HBox is experimenting way more than ever because of the people he can't beat; are we still subscribing to the 2010 metagame guide? Are we really gonna tell people to fish for more u-tilt despite the advancements in shield game? Call me crazy but I think we need to visit Professor Oak and hit the lab. Because Puff (sans the Puffs that have always been good) are still not putting in work.

Yeah, Puff is easier to be consistent with.

:phone:
Disagree, but largely because of how she's played. Consistency is hard when your plan doesn't rely on your consistency so much as the opponent's and I know for fact that, from playing all your beaches, there remain too many styles that revolve around the risk-reward games of shield grab and other bullcrap like that. Maybe nobody respects me because I'm not top level - it's certainly something I've toyed with. But I still feel that people subscribe to shielding as a way around things that are designed to counter it, like Fox and Falco's shield pressure.

I dislike saying things like this because it kind of defeats the purpose of the big wall of text I posted a few minutes ago. But I think we need to step away from the shield. Puff's shield isn't good anymore except vs characters who deal with 'swing' hits (Sheik's ground game, Marth as a whole), if the opponent lacks a reliable throw KO (Fox once u-throw no longer links to u-air, Pikachu, Mario) or as a last resort to avoid a hit. Otherwise I think movement (which sometimes needs to be preemptive) and other forms of evasion are the way to go.

I don't mean to call out Puffs or name-call or say you all just fish for mistakes. But I still feel this is a problem.

Okay so now some strategic things.

A general thought I remember having while watching Sheridan vs Bieber. One of you did a good job of landing a bunch of dairs but never comboed it into u-smash. In general I feel that Puffs struggle with what to do once they've hit a move they could potentially do something really good with. After hitting a lot of spaced, low bairs or forcing Sheridan to recover below the edge I never saw anything done that hits below the stage (d-tilt, dair, probably more stuff) in favour of additional bairs and spaced fairs.

I also feel there's a disconnect between what moves are good and what moves do. More specifically, I feel people pick moves based on what's normally good without taking into consideration that the move they're picking isn't appropriate (and why) and something else would work better. A big example is with edgeguarding; I feel moves like dair are overlooked when people are recovering below the lip of the stage in favour of bair or onstage fair. This is in spite of dair hitting below the stage before you land with it. I feel this, and issues like this, need to be explored more because I feel Puffs often get nothing because of move selection after going through the effort of forcing the opponent into a terrible position. Heck, I think d-tilt is sometimes often because it just 'fits' the situation. F-tilt can be a solid surprise knockdown move and the low KB used to prevent the opponent from edgecanceling so you can tech chase with an aerial. Consider your moveset's lesser used options, especially fast moves or ones with evasive properties. You'll be surprised at what works.

I also think that dair > u-smash on FFers should be explored as a possible way to set up rest. I'm finding that pounding them out of firefoxes when they're going through me but above the level (deny the tech) is a pretty strong play if I'm not sure how to set up the aerial chain. Uairing them is good for similar reasons so long as they don't hit the platform before I can continue comboing them (which means some creativity on how you do the aerial is required). Using their recovery to set up a way to rest combo them is a strong play that needs to be explored more; it's so easy to checkmate characters when they have no jump and you have an invulnerable launcher to hit on them.

More edgeguard stuff, but now aggressive edgeguarding: I'm finding that hitting with the last few hits of dair on an offstage opponent often combos into DJ fair with stupid ease. But what's great is that it also affords me the time to not DJ fair and simply recover in a lot of cases, so if I know they'll need to recover with a lagging up+B or they're simply hoggable I can also just do that (very useful vs Ganon, Sheik, Falcon). Because of this, I've stopped using nair as my opening in a lot of edgeguard situations on certain recoveries simply because the end of dair leads to easy plays that go lethal very frequently.

On opponents recovering above you and the stage (at low percent), I find that grabbing the edge and pounding upwards is a strong play. It DI traps them (and often denies them recovery of their DJ) into something nasty (falling uair, then space your bair to create a chain) with frightening consistency. A lot of characters do not have something that can outprioritize it and their answer is to airdodge. In a lot of instances this usually just means you fall and uair them out of their air-dodge landing lag though and then continue from there or rest them off the knockdown (something to note: if they can land after an air-dodge, you sometimes can't pound upwards and have to do it horizontally to ensure the hit on their landing lag or you might be just too high).

This last one's a gimmick but after a FJ fair (or bair, I suppose, but I've only really used this after fair so far) that knocks the opponent down, I find FF dair reset a reasonably strong play sometimes. You can kind of 'track' their direction based on how the multi-hit connects on them. If they go up, I often take that as a cue to just instantly prepare to dash JC grab because they're probably gonna land on their feet. Otherwise just pay attention for which side they're biased towards and there's your roll direction. Beware of getup attacks, but you can accommodate those easily enough if you're willing to sacrifice the rest's positioning and take your favourite aerial instead. This is also a good way to set up u-tilt, but at the percents you'd knock them down it's probably a strong play to SHFFL a low uair if you want to combo (and if you're committing to waiting on the ground, rest is a stronger play anyway and makes more sense off the reset).

Mahone

Smash Champion
man, im so inspired, i wasn't gonna go to a tourney this weekend...

but now im going to go AND beat pp

oh... and get recorded so u can be a little less disappointed in the puffs

Bones0

Smash Legend
Make sure you "whoop" and fist pump to the crowd every time you rest him, and if you string like 3 uairs do a Jiggs uair motion with your arm. haha

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I'm happy to say I read all of that and sad to say I've noticed I've stopped using dair to edge guard. I've been playing to much pm lately, I feel like practicing puff again

Bieber

Smash Apprentice
hmm thanks for the tips kk. it sounds like a lot of what you're suggesting stems from playing off sheik's lack of mobility in certain situations. i haven't played atma since i made that post but i've been thinking about the matchup and realizing how limited sheik really is in certain situations. like if i'm hovering in front of her, out of her tilt range and above dash attack range and ready to punish her for jumping, there's almost nothing she can do to me. in the past i've tried going pretty aggro on sheik because her defensive options are kinda easily covered by my aerials and there's no big kill move from her to worry about, but i think i'm gonna focus more on weaving in and out of her face to bait out little tilts and then cut between them with pound/dair to grab/some of the other stuff you mentioned. i'll try to get some stuff between us recorded soon

also nice post about creativity, i'm sorry i know my puff isn't the most creative thing out there, but since i'm still pretty new to this game i'm more concerned about getting the fundamentals and matchups down pat before i pimp out my style a bit more. although i do try a lot of the things you mentioned...just not in puff dittos lol. one thing, you mentioned pounding from the ledge when someone firefoxes through and above you, but i actually find hitting with reverse invincible nair from the ledge better in this situation, it sends spacies at a pretty brutal angle that allows for an easy bair chain follow-up. pound works too of course but the angle that pound sends people at seems really variable and the obvious start up animation makes it easy for opponents to predict and di however they want, and i've dropped several edgeguards just because pound sends them way higher than my little puff can fly

and tekk i love your puff oh my god. you've convinced me shield drop with puff is worth learning

Fortune

Smash Journeyman
Hi all. I'm wondering what determines whether or not the opponent will flip if you land a down air while they are on the ground.

Anand

Smash Journeyman
The post I quoted below refers to drill-rest, but I'd imagine it's relevant to your interests.

[COLLAPSE="phanna is so cool"]
L-cancelled down-drill to rest: This is an old technique, but since I was learning Jigglypuff, it's something I wanted to know a lot more about.

Video: Jigglypuff Drill Rest

The idea of drill-resting is that as Jigglypuff lands from doing a dair she can "flip" her enemies at certain percents, which leave them in slightly more lag, but more importantly, moves their hitbox into Jigglypuff for a brief rest opportunity following an l-cancel.

In practice, this works best against taller characters, not only because they might seem easier to flip, and their flip brings them further into you, but the taller they are the more likely Jigglypuff is to be able to crouch out of shield-grab danger.

To execute it, you need to short-hop and start a down-air asap. The timing on when you should FF (if at all) varies from character to character, so it's something you should get a feel for. Aim for their horizontal center, especially for wider characters, to score flips more often. Make sure you L-cancel, and then if you see them flip, rest. Keep in mind that sometimes you don't even want to rest immediately, but wait for their flipping body to come to you.

I have been unable to get this to work against Pikachu or Bowser. For everyone else I show the minimum and maximum percents it's guaranteed to work if you do it right (keep in mind that there is a 6% window depending on how "stale moves" your dair is):

46-139% Captain Falcon
49-146% Donkey Kong
45-135% Dr. Mario
44-122% Falco
00-118% Fox
00-107% Game & Watch
47-142% Ganondorf
41-127% Ice Climbers
00-106% Jigglypuff
00-114% Kirby
45-140% Link
45-135% Luigi
45-135% Mario
41-126% Marth
00-125% Mewtwo
48-131% Ness
42-128% Peach
00-102% Pichu
00-126% Roy
47-144% Samus
42-128% Sheik
00-141% Yoshi
40-125% Young Link
42-129% Zelda

So except for Bowser and Pikachu, if your foe is at least between 49% and 102%, then you are able to drill-rest them, assuming you're able to dair immediately around them without getting pwned. If you're a rest-happy Jiggs, I would recommend starting out with uptilts and reverse nairs, then if they get to 40+%, maybe try some of these.

As far as I can tell, crouch-cancelling does not impact your ability or inability to perform this move, nor the percents it will or will not work at.

The characters who get the "flip stun" without actually doing a full 360 degree saumersault are Dr. Mario, Game & Watch, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Luigi, Mario, Ness, and Pichu.

For Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff, and Kirby, they get stunned away from where you were attacking them, so you need to land all the hits on one side of them, then DI and land on the other side, in order to rest where they will twitch.

For Game & Watch, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy, and Yoshi, you don't necissarily have to flip them in order to rest from the drill. As such, the combo can start working even from 0%. Everyone else is necessary to flip, I believe.

As a general disclaimer before someone points out the obvious, DI can potentially avoid this combo, just like virtually any rest combo. The trick is to know how to get a free kill when they don't know about it, forget it once, mess it up, or the situation simply arises. As per usual, I'm investigating something I think is worthwhile myself, and therefore want to share with others for their enjoyment, enlightenment, or intrigue. Haters go elsewhere.

Edit: In conversation with my friends, I found myself saying that for the best drill-rest practice you should drill the women to see if they flip (Peach, Zelda, Sheik, Samus).
[/COLLAPSE]

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
ya, but it does seem pretty good vs falcon
Yeah I'll admit that it does. Any other character has some sort of answer. Fox has shine, falco has shine and lasers, puff is puff, Marth has a sword. Most low tiers have a projectile.

Falcon is kinda SoL. Although I was thinking run up shffl uairs and off stage stomps might help. Even when he grabbed the ledge I was impressed but he just got back on stage, no bair attempt.

Still though, I'm spitballing theory bros and I don't play falcon. But for how much this breaks the MU, falcon still has camp the top platform which I've seen hax do and it put hbox in bad situations until he slipped up. No one overly camps anyways as viable as it is.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Crowned puff needs to be earned IMO, only people I see go crowned are pocket puffs trying to tarnish it. And M2K, mango wa snot happy about that at Impulse.

http://www.twitch.tv/acgamesonline/b/365030606 didn't even know I was on stream at the time but;

If anyone is willing to critique I happened to be at the beginning of the stream. Was playing **** that day but by some miracle the stream started after my cold hands johns were gone (literally freezing there during non-tournies)

edit: I'd like some help with the marth MU the most. I've learned some new tricks that have helped (run up shield/crouch, marth killer, etc.) but I hate the MU and what better to critique than IB 4 stocking me? Didn't know I was on stream so I left after that instead of waiting through 3 matches against people I had been playing for awhile. Kinda sad I did now.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
marth killer? Honestly I could never edge guard a marth once he got to a certain point under the stage and marth killer or whatever it's called fixed that for me.

Massive

Smash Champion
If marth recovers low, take the ledge, ledgehog.
If he lands on the stage you can grab and throw him back off or just rest him.

If he recovers high, hit him with a bair/fair and he dies.

Always chase him offstage (from above) and try to stop his momentum. Marth's horizontal is terrible and you can almost guarantee a stock loss if he's already used his dancing sword recovery.

Mahone

Smash Champion
i actually think hbox isn't that great at edgeguarding marth

but then again marths aren't that good at recovering so its all good :)

Top Bottom