• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

-LzR-

Smash Hero
About edgeguarding Samus, I always have trouble at it for some reason even when it's easy to predict exactly how they are going to recover. Is there some trick to it?

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
bair, usually.

and for samus, just wait for her to use a bomb and fair through her and the bomb and stuff. It's okay to take a bit of damage from her bombs as long as you can gimp her. Just be patient, but also don't be afraid to go really far out there because you have a huge advantage off-stage. If she backs off with her down-b jumping, just go back to the ledge, refresh your jumps, etc. She can't stay out there all day, you're fine as long as you don't let the samus go past you. Also, be aware of her grappling the stage and be ready for it. Remember that she doesn't have invincibility while doing this.

Kaizer

Smash Journeyman
What do you do in teams when the opposite team also have a puff? I feel everything just comes down to the rest-game, and everything gets pretty chaotic. Any advice?

Mahone

Smash Champion
if you are playing teams correctly and resting liberally, you obviously want to work with your teammate to box out the puff, then double team and hopefully get a rest off, and be ready to wake up regardless of you miss before the other puff can get there

what i usually do is counter this first strategy since most puffs play that way

ofc i go for rests when they present themselves and its still a priority, but i really like just spacing around the opposing puff, because if they are going for rests on my teammates, they end up in a lot of bad positions vs my spacing, and then even if they get a rest off, i should be spaced so i can just quickly rest them before they get woken up

the main deciding factor in these mus too, as well as vs a peach on the other team, is how many grab rests u can get on the opposing puff...

people don't focus on this enough for some reason, but the team that just does like a drill grab with falco/fox and sets up a rest at 20% or lower is DEFINITELY gonna beat the team thats just trying to rest the falco on the other team since hes gonna die quick anyways...

im sorry if this doesn't make much sense, im in a rush and g2g and made a lot of generalizations but hopefully u get the idea

idea

Smash Master
I just thought of something...

Since the boards have been pretty inactive lately, does anyone want to start the a jigglypuff character-specific Melee facebook group?

I phrased that as a question because I have 0 motivation to do this myself, lol.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Sounds cool. I'd prefer a Skype group, but I guess people are much easier to find on Facebook these days.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I mean, there were 20+ good, content-filled posts earlier today (yesterday). They are just in the Social thread for some reason. lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I guess I need to lurk the social thread more then. Or we should just combine the topics again, it's not like we have the need for several threads here.

idea

Smash Master
yeah, it's not necessary, but I know in my region at least the facebook group has been much more useful lately than the boards. skype is good too in theory except that not everyone uses skype all the time, but more people tend to just leave facebook on to see if anyone says anything.

Massive

Smash Champion
A facebook group is nice since people can have wall conversations in addition to chat stuff.
It's also easier to deal with while using your phone.

Landry

Smash Ace
I am also not on Facebook - not that it matters but I would definitely prefer an alternative.

Bones0

Smash Legend
The alternative is to just use this thread instead of 3 separate Puff threads. lol

People need to make an active attempt to promote discussion though. If you think about anything interesting whatsoever, you can't get lazy and just not post it or worry what people will think. Even totally awful ideas can lead to useful discussion.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm sure plenty of you use Skype. I see no problem with using it. It's easier to just talk about random stuff or get a really interesting conversation going on than here.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So after I started playing SSB64, my Melee Puff has suddenly become much faster and more consistent. I guess I got used to the lack of buffering and how I could casually play SSB64 and focus on Zcanceling and stuff without a Fox being at my face 24/7.
So... Yay?

Bones0

Smash Legend
My Puff was going in last tourney. It's starting to look like I actually play the character. I just need to grab more. I suck at finding tomahawk opportunities for some reason.

idea

Smash Master
I find that aspect of puff really interesting...once I started picking up other characters I noticed that people's shielding habits are completely different from what they do vs. puff and much more similar across the other characters. Generally, people wait in shield way longer if you're puff, probably 'cause her aerial attack range + aerial movement speed make it tricky to tell when they can safely drop shield. So like, you can just tomahawk all the time. Even better, sometimes you can start baiting rolls when they think they're predicting your next tomahawk ;)

idea

Smash Master
lol that's lame. hmm...if you could get to the ground and shield before he fairs, you could just fair him oos right back. i think. it looks right in my head :p that's what i'd try first, move gradually closer to him and do stuff out of shield.

and like, if he fairs oos in such a way that you can't punish it, at least that pushes him pretty far in one direction. if that kept happening over and over he'd eventually get to the edge.

i dunno what you're doing exactly, but one good way to get tomahawks on marth is to mix up bairing on his shield and landing behind him. since they have to shield so early to block bair, and the way you weave in and out to use it always sorta looks like you're going to land behind him anyway. also, once you do get behind him, you'll probably be close to the edge and can bthrow him toward/off of it.

Bones0

Smash Legend
lol that's lame. hmm...if you could get to the ground and shield before he fairs, you could just fair him oos right back. i think. it looks right in my head :p that's what i'd try first, move gradually closer to him and do stuff out of shield.

and like, if he fairs oos in such a way that you can't punish it, at least that pushes him pretty far in one direction. if that kept happening over and over he'd eventually get to the edge.

i dunno what you're doing exactly, but one good way to get tomahawks on marth is to mix up bairing on his shield and landing behind him. since they have to shield so early to block bair, and the way you weave in and out to use it always sorta looks like you're going to land behind him anyway. also, once you do get behind him, you'll probably be close to the edge and can bthrow him toward/off of it.
Okay, thanks. I think if I can improve my use of shield better like how you were saying. I will try WDing into shield as he comes down with aerials, and then instead of doing an aerial OoS that will just hit his shield, I can cross him up with a tomahawk. In my head it definitely seems like a solid mixup.

Mahone

Smash Champion
well, id be down for one, if u guys pm/post ur skypes i can make it

the last one became reddit and i left it and almost shot myself to end the misery....

it'll probably happen again, but itll be fun for like 2 weeks so why not

Top Bottom