• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lucas Tournament Results! Updated (6/28)

Irsic

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure you have to use Lucas most of the tournament, but a couple of matches where you were possibly facing a good GaW or a Marth who planned on grabbing you the entire match, secondaries are okay. But you have to use Lucas for the majority of the tournament.

Xyless

Smash Master
Two out of our top 5 either don't play Brawl anymore or don't play Lucas anymore...

If I were in charge of this thread I would make a cut off date to eliminate the first few tournaments when the game had just come out and no one had any clue what they were doing...Not that it really makes any difference either way.
The Peach board decided to make a new one per year (wiped our numbers the day the new year of Smash started) and archive previous tourney records on another site. Maybe you guys should consider doing the same?

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
Should we go with 2/3 games per match?
Should we post a "rule" in the OP?
Am I the only one who cares about such a rule?
Will Lucas ever find a way to deal with GaW?
Which flavor of Ice Cream is the best?

There are too many questions that NEED answers! :(

ToxiCrow

Smash Ace
i think there should be a rule regarding the number of players in the tournaments.
i mean, u cant be part of the region rankings by participating in an 8 player tourney

:094:

heytallman

CTALL
Well I know you're gonna get top 10 in a 10 man tourney, and you should at least for like 15-20 or so as well I guess.

How about for smaller tournaments with at least ten people in it (like 10-20 or so) We count like top 3 to 4 or something. OK. Let's look at some numbers, I'll spew thoughts as they come to mind. In a tournament with ten to like, 12 people, getting 7th is winning 1 set. Getting 5th is like winning 2. Getting 4th is like winning 3. And 3rd is 4, etc. In these small tournaments, I guess winning no sets will net you ninth. If there are 13 entrants, one person will get 13th (lol last place)

At a tournament with, let's say about 32 people, still kinda small, but definitely room to not get top ten in. You win one set, you get 25th. You win 2, you get 17th. 3, 13th, 4 gives you ninth, in the top ten.

So I guess for really small tournaments we count only top 3 because the number of sets you win is equivilant to a slightly larger tournament to get top ten in.

Sound ok to everyone? Is my logic correct in my assumptions?

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
The problem with any of these, which is probably unavoidable, is that there is no way to tell the skill level of the people you're playing against. I run tournaments at my school where I play against a bunch of total scrubs. I am going to get 1st place. There is no question about it because I'm substantially better than everyone there. But I also managed to round up 13-15 people which means I would get 13-15 points just for beating a bunch of guys who don't really have a clue what they're doing except for myself and a few others.

There's really no way to regulate this and it's one of the reasons we can't compare players from different regions very well unless they happen to travel to the same tournament.

I personally would reset all rankings to 2009 and just renew it every year. We can keep 2008 rankings if we want on the thread just so we know for history's sake I suppose. Smash is a game that not everyone keeps up from year to year so I think this makes sense. It will also hopefully adjust for the development of the metagame over time.

One way we could determine points is by finding out what percentile you were in. For example, say that you have to be in the top 30%. So in a 10 man tournament you need to be in the top 3 to get points. In a 30 man tournament you need to be in the top 10 etc. This would include some rounding obviously. Then take the number of people in the tournament and divide by your placing to get the point value to make placings matter. This would make it easier to get points in larger tournaments where it's more difficult to place higher while making it more difficult in smaller tournaments. Hope that made sense.

Ex. placed 13th out of 50
Cutoff = 15th place
Pts. awarded = 50/13 = 3.85

heytallman

CTALL
Tyr that sounds pretty nice, and it deals with smaller tournaments as well. Too bad my curse is to be always in the 50th percentile :( :( :( hence people calling me "halfman"

But I guess I just gotta get better/start trying more/bribing the TO's for multiple bribes/etc

prOAPC

Smash Lord
why not giving points to everyone who goes to a tourney, i mean, even if the player got last, give him 1 point, because he's representing Lucas in a tourney, and we need those kind of people

heytallman

CTALL
No, I don't think that would be the best idea. Isn't the rankings thread supposed to be for people who do well with Lucas? What if one guy goes to a tournament and does well, but only goes to that one, where as some really really crappy player goes to several and passes him up just because he got 1 point every time for doing so? Then people could make up stuff and just be like 'there's no link to the tourney"

I'm still liking Tyr's idea

Cheeri-Oats

Smash Lord
I don't care who does what/when/where. When it comes to Lucas I only care about four people's opinions or their placings. With that said, ranking does not matter since it can not be done easily and since many of you will only place well if you go to scrub tournaments, I don't think the Lucas community has enough skill to back up a legitimate ranking system. Just post up your wins and losses and try to go through a learning process and write up what you learned here. That's what these threads should be used for. Learning. And if we know who you lost to and how you lost to them, then that's more knowledge of match-ups than any silly theory-crafted match-up thread.

Yoshi-Kirby

Smash Journeyman
So, what you're saying is that the Lucas Boards shouldn't have a Power Ranking thing? I sort of agree and disagree, mainly cuz I think that the rankings shows whom is doing well in tournies, but then again, you don't know what kinds of players are in those tourneys. They could be bad, or they could be good.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I think this thread is mostly to give new players incentive to go to tournaments. I know for me, I go to tournaments to meet people and to build up a reputation as a good player with my character. It's not about the money at all. This is a way that people can build up a reputation as a good player atleast within their region. It's inherently biased toward people who don't have good competition to play against. But any rankings on here really mean absolutely nothing especially to anyone outside of the Lucas boards. It's still fun. And it's more fun if it actually gets updated. If anything it makes you look at your previous placements and aspire to do better.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Lets just use this thread to post tourney results and not use the results for points. Like Oats said the lucas boards really doesnt have any representation at large tourneys.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
If we want to do what Cheeri-Oats suggested, we should probably make a sort of "Tournament Reports" thread for Lucas.

Here, we can discuss tourneys, and the individual matches and whatnot. What do you guys think of that?

Levitas

the moon
PA, that's a good idea.

Noraa, do you want to still be the listkeeper and record the tournament results that people post here, or do you want someone else to make a new thread?

Irsic

Smash Ace
I think you guys are over-thinking this a little too much, as these rankings are just to motivate people to do better. Who cares if you think it's undeserved and you don't know any of the people in their 'scrub' tournaments. It doesn't matter. It's to motivate you to do better.

You guys are looking way far into this. Though it should be archived by years, I wholeheartedly agree with that.

PhoenixAlpha

Smash Journeyman
It brought unnecessary drama to the Peach boards, that was a great lol thread.
Ah, I thought it was based on what could happen here. We have such small tournament representation in the first place that it wouldn't make any sense to get all bent out of shape over who's the "best ranked" Lucas.

Especially when any concrete ranking system is inherently flawed.

Noraa

Smash Lord
Lev i cant keep up with this thread someone else needs to handle it.
Been way to busy, sorry guys.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Probably pink but there are also lucas mains out there that go to tourneys that haven't even heard of.

c3gill

Smash Ace
well as its now a tournament results/discussion, Ill start us off.

I went to a "tournament" (more like a joke) on thursday, that I assumed was run by a decent TO. UVA Gamers Club hosted it.

As I got there they announced they were doing single elimination rather than double due to time constraints. Then they announced that they were doing 3 stock, 8 minute, 1 match winner moves on :mad:. I cried inside when I heard that, because with double elimination, If someone picked G&W I can pick Marth the next round and do decently, but with no best of 3 I have to use the character i think im best with.... Lucas.

I played sloppy in my 2nd match, and in my third i killed myself twice, once i literally killed myself, and then missed a ledge with PKT2 on my last stock. The guy I lost to was a decent Pikachu, but no reason I should have lost. I left pissed off, I should have done so much better. i ended up 5th or so, which was sad because most the people there werent very good.

Grrr on tournaments that are sloppy and rushed! this is my most recent tournament, although im looking forward to one coming up in 2 weeks or so- might be going to Ashville or Fredricksburg :ohwell:

What are yalls opinions on those weird rules, and what would you have done differently?

prOAPC

Smash Lord
the tournament i was going to today got cancelled, now it will be on march 29, just because the tournament host want it to be larger...

and i've read some epic post in this thread, thanks guy :)

c3gill

Smash Ace
The thread is now completely UPDATED! and ready for more results! send them in please, so we can fill some of this blank space on the front page!

also, I must ask everyone to please read the first post, so that yall know what the new thread is to be used for.

Thanks, and get them results rolling!
-c3

Top Bottom