• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's usually agreed to be slightly in Falco's advantage.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Hi, I hear people saying Olimar is a great camper.

but when i throw pikmin they just get attacked before they can do any damage.

Am I doing something wrong?

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Camping is not necessarily doing damage, it makes the oppnent react/specific reaction that you want so you can punish and do damage.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Because you're not camping enough!!!!!

When you're winning you should be camping, when you're losing you should be camping, when they're at kill % you should be camping, when they're at throw combo % you should be camping, and when your camping you should be camping harder!!!!!

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Camping is not necessarily doing damage, it makes the oppnent react/specific reaction that you want so you can punish and do damage.
Ah thanks for clearing that up, I thought it was more about 'running away' and slowly building damage.

What reaction should i be looking for, in say, a Lucario main?

Because you're not camping enough!!!!!

When you're winning you should be camping, when you're losing you should be camping, when they're at kill % you should be camping, when they're at throw combo % you should be camping, and when your camping you should be camping harder!!!!!
Throw combo?

Iv also been over to the Lucario board and they say the Olimar vs Lucario match up is one of their hardest, any ideas why i seem to have trouble with this match up

Asa

Smash Hero
What reaction should i be looking for, in say, a Lucario main?
the reaction should be "**** he outcamps me better approach" and zoning with fsmashes and standing grab will encourage him to approach from the air, where you can pivot grab or w/e

Throw combo?
at low percents (0-13ish) we can get legitimate combos with dthrow. with a little read thrown in, you can rack up a crap ton of damage in a few seconds. my fastest was 0-54 in 3 seconds, see if you can beat it!

Iv also been over to the Lucario board and they say the Olimar vs Lucario match up is one of their hardest, any ideas why i seem to have trouble with this match up
it's a combination of you not knowing the mu and the opponent knowing it/outplaying you

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Lucario was a matchup that was really hard for me for a long while, when I was new. It's definitely difficult if you don't understand the character. It became one of my best matchups after awhile, though. I wrote some stuff about the matchup a good while ago. It's a bit long, but you should definitely check it out if you feel like you've hit a wall. You can find it in the opening post of this thread.

Pogoshark

Diddy-Strong
NNID
Pogoshark
Lucario was a matchup that was really hard for me for a long while, when I was new. It's definitely difficult if you don't understand the character. It became one of my best matchups after awhile, though. I wrote some stuff about the matchup a good while ago. It's a bit long, but you should definitely check it out if you feel like you've hit a wall. You can find it in the opening post of this thread.
Wow, thanks, I havnt finished it all but its really helping so far :)

EDIT: just finished reading it, The lucario I face dodgerolls past most of my camping, would grabbing be a good counter measure?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, watch for his roll habits. If you know a situation where he always rolls, and you notice it beforehand, charge a down smash for him. But grab, fsmash, or up smash can work well too, depending on the situation.

jbandrew

Smash Lord
Question: How do I avoid getting edgeguarded... for some reason I usually gravitate to recovering low with olimar cuz I dig his Up air and it's really good @ getting people off the ledge... but sometimes I feel it'd be better to recover higher because some people abuse the ledge invincibility and just drop down Nair me with MK for example and im done... so yea. What tips do you guys have for recovering?

Also, Is it better to have less pikmin? I feel I concentrate much better and know exactly what I'm doing when I have 2-3 pikmin and just pluck out more on reaction to my opponent. But I usually try to keep it at 3 pikmin. Any reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Most Olimars just save their second jump and come up under with an Uair or whistle.
Just watch for the ledgedropped Nairs and DI away or whistle or something.

It's generally better to have more pikmin. More pikmin means a longer tether and a lower chance of getting left with none.

steep

Smash Lord
Hey Olimar boards! I am a Mario main who recently started seriously using Olimar as a secondary. I was talking to Hilt at a tourney of Clowsui's in cinci a few months ago and I asked him about how the whistle works when organizing pikmin. He told me something kinda complicated, but recently I am starting to think that it's just that the whistle organizes them by color. Thoughts? This may be common knowledge, so I'm sorry if I sound noob.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
The first time you use whistle in a match, it brings Reds to the front.
All subsequent times make it go in this order:
Yellow
Blue
White
Purple
Red again

It skips colors you don't have.

And let's say your line is WYWR and your last whistle brought whites to the front.
You kill the whites because they deserved to die and plucked a few more to get a line of BYRPP.
Next whistle would bring the purples to the front.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Didn't know you were still using Olimar, man. Good to hear. Basically yeah, what Clover said. The normal order for pikmin hierarchy is RYBWP. The game keeps track of what "color" your last whistle was (not the actual color of the whistle, color is used figuratively). Your first whistle of a game is a red whistle, the next one is yellow, blue, white, and then purple. However, if you don't have a pikmin of that color in your line, it skips it and does the next color instead. So for a red whistle, your color lineup would have all your reds at the front, then your yellows, blues, whites, and then purples. A blue whistle would have your blues, whites, purples, reds, and then yellows. Make sense?

For an example, let's say your pikmin lineup is RBBWWP, and let's say you whistle four times. Your lineup for each of these four whistles would look like this:

First: RBBWWP
Second: BBWWPR
Third: WWPRBB
Fourth: PRBBWW

steep

Smash Lord
That makes sense. Just curious though, why is it that sometimes not all the pikmin of that color that is being brought to the front come to the front? I.e. sometime's I will whistle and my pikmin will be YBRPWR before and when I whistle I end up with RBYWPR. why didn't that other Red come to the front? I thought maybe I had just used that Pikmin or something so it didn't come back in time to go the front. Idk. Also, in order to keep a pikmin in front after just using it, is it legit to use upb after throwing or fsmashing? I've found that this puts the pikmin you just used back in front. It's awesome for purples. Throw one, upb, and then get that purple back for another usage right away. What do you think?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Hello Olimar boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
That makes sense. Just curious though, why is it that sometimes not all the pikmin of that color that is being brought to the front come to the front? I.e. sometime's I will whistle and my pikmin will be YBRPWR before and when I whistle I end up with RBYWPR. why didn't that other Red come to the front? I thought maybe I had just used that Pikmin or something so it didn't come back in time to go the front. Idk. Also, in order to keep a pikmin in front after just using it, is it legit to use upb after throwing or fsmashing? I've found that this puts the pikmin you just used back in front. It's awesome for purples. Throw one, upb, and then get that purple back for another usage right away. What do you think?
Concerning the first part, it sounds like the pikmin just wasn't able to be whistled at that point. There are certain periods (I forget all of them, but immediately after being plucked is an example) where pikmin will not respond to whistling. It's likely that this happens and then the pikmin just runs to you, at which point it joins the backadabus.

As for the second part, I was unaware of that trick to be honest. I can't think of any situations off the top of my head where it would be directly beneficial, but every trick might have a use.
Hello Olimar boards; just a question. What do you think about the R.O.B. MU and why? Thanks in advance!
As soon as I read this

Unwinable.
I knew this was coming :troll:

steep

Smash Lord
As for the second part, I was unaware of that trick to be honest. I can't think of any situations off the top of my head where it would be directly beneficial, but every trick might have a use.
I feel like it could be useful with purple pikmin mostly. throw the purple, upb away from your opponent (only if the purple knocks them away), and then get the purple right back for a chance to either throw again or go for a kill, etc. It could be nice if you stick them with a white pikmin, because the purple then keeps them from knocking off the white while they take damage, and then throw the purple again, thus racking up some quick damage. Does any of that sound feasible?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I feel like it could be useful with purple pikmin mostly. throw the purple, upb away from your opponent (only if the purple knocks them away), and then get the purple right back for a chance to either throw again or go for a kill, etc. It could be nice if you stick them with a white pikmin, because the purple then keeps them from knocking off the white while they take damage, and then throw the purple again, thus racking up some quick damage. Does any of that sound feasible?
I don't think I can really talk that much about it without seeing how it actually works, especially how long it takes. If you have a way of uploading a video I'd actually love to see it

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
...Is that a serious question or are you fishing for infractions again?

steep

Smash Lord
I don't think I can really talk that much about it without seeing how it actually works, especially how long it takes. If you have a way of uploading a video I'd actually love to see it
I will record an example of it later today or tomorrow and post it here and see what you think! Hopefully this is something useful!

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
does the pickman toss (B-Forward) refresh stale moves, and if so, is it when they attach or hit. if its when it hits, does each hit by a single pickman add to the stale moves que?

does multiple pickman on the same opponent remove stale moves at the same rate as 1?

does it still count if they shield or spot dodge the damage after the pickman attaches?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I believe it only refreshes once per latch.

I'm really not sure about the third question, but it should still count.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
First of all, it's "pikmin". Not to be a douche, it just hurts to read, lol.
does the pickman toss (B-Forward) refresh stale moves, and if so, is it when they attach or hit. if its when it hits, does each hit by a single pickman add to the stale moves que?
It does refresh stale moves. The first attack of a latched pikmin refreshes stale moves, but all latch hits after that don't. This applies for each time a pikmin is latched.

does multiple pickman on the same opponent remove stale moves at the same rate as 1?
Each first latch attack counts towards refresh. So a different rate.

does it still count if they shield or spot dodge the damage after the pickman attaches?
No, it does not.

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
First of all, it's "pikmin". Not to be a douche, it just hurts to read.
Sorry, i didn't realize. and thanks clover/hilt for the quick replys.

also, what is the purpose of having a specific controller port and can i apply this to my Olimar gameplay?

Edit: and why is it that sometimes when i attack pickmin dont come out. as in, when i F-smash, Olimar does the animation, but no pickmin to follow through. This even happens after i whistle and stand still.

(sorry that there are so many questions)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
To my knowledge, there are two main things that are affected by controller port. If two characters try to grab each other at the same time, and both grabs would connect on the exact same frame, the player with the lower port gets the grab. However, this isn't a very big deal for Olimar, since 1) his grab comes out much later than most character's grabs, and 2) Olimar's grab has a lot more range, so most characters would be able to grab him at the time. Getting a specific port for this reason isn't that important.

The other thing that is affected by controller port has to do with explosions. This is actually the main thing you'll see people wanting a specific port for. If a character is in a grab, and an explosion goes off and hits both characters, only one of the characters will fly into the air. The character with the lower controller port. For this reason, when a player is using or fighting Snake, the higher controller port is preferred. There are a few other minor instances with explosives, though, that aren't as big of a deal. But those are the main ones.

As for why pikmin sometimes won't attack when you command them to, the short answer is: they're dumb. It takes awhiel at sometimes for pikmin to catch up to Olimar's movements, especially after a whistle. If you're whistling and then waiting a bit, and the pikmin still is whiffing, then I'm not sure. But pikmin are extremely glitchy. Expect problems.

And feel free to ask whatever questions you want. That's what this thread is for.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Oh wow, I didn't know that latch didn't stale on a shielding opponent.

I always thought that hits staled if they struck a shield. Is this wrong?

steep

Smash Lord
Hey Hilt I'm thinking about going Olimar in some of the tourney's I'm planning on going to. I'll let you know how it goes, huh? After all, KassandraNova told me I should main Olimar instead of Mario after I beat her Peach with Olimar....

Top Bottom