• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
There is no history, but he IS expected to know his "Hey Arnold".

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Other than Yellow USmash or Pikmin tether, what can Olimar do that beats a perfectly spaced descending Pound from Jigglypuff? I just don't see Olimar outright winning the MU.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Other than Yellow USmash or Pikmin tether, what can Olimar do that beats a perfectly spaced descending Pound from Jigglypuff? I just don't see Olimar outright winning the MU.
Shield > USmash out of shield. UTlit might work since it clanks with a lot of stuff, but that would need testing.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
When perfectly spaced Jiggs is out of range from Olimar's USmash, except for a yellow, what with its approximately infinite range.

I could see a whistle to buffered dash USmash, but that's about it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
When perfectly spaced Jiggs is out of range from Olimar's USmash, except for a yellow, what with its approximately infinite range.

Does Fair clank with it or does Jiggs win? Also I really would suggest testing UTilt; it clanks with quite a bit.

The other option would be to stack your line with yellows and purples as much as possible so you can zone her out of that problem area. I always had some problems with Jiggs, but that was mostly because I was playing over Wifi and therefore could not powershield properly

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
iunno. Pound has some pretty ridiculous range, we very well could win the trade.

Also aerials don't clank with things, it probably would clank if it were a ground move, but instead it would have to flat out beat the aerial, which I highly doubt it can do. Also the range on Pound is such that we wouldn't trade.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
iunno. Pound has some pretty ridiculous range, we very well could win the trade.

Also aerials don't clank with things, it probably would clank if it were a ground move, but instead it would have to flat out beat the aerial, which I highly doubt it can do. Also the range on Pound is such that we wouldn't trade.
I don't quite know if Pound is counted as an aerial though, as it's a B move; Falco's SideB, for instance, clanks with UTilt even when it's initiated in the air, unless I'm remembering incorrectly. I'd say it's at least worth checking out. Sorry I can't be more helpful ^_^;

Dnyce

Smash Master

Have you tried jump-canceling your shield?

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
Fatalmztake, where in Cali do you live? If you live close to me I can teach you a LOT about olimar.

:phone:

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
I live in Fresno man.
Ahhh about an hour away from me :p I know another smasher that lives in Fresno maybe we can all smash together sometime. Glad to know another olimar is near :p btw I live in Los banos if you k now where that is

Dnyce

Smash Master
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by perfect spacing, but I have no problem usmash-oss whe jiggs uses pound... rising, standard, and descending whether it's spaced horizontally or vertically... with near glancing blow spacing at optimum angles.

Being disjointed makes an argument in favor of Olimar, so I'm not sure why you brought that up in your case against not being able to usmash.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Ahhh about an hour away from me :p I know another smasher that lives in Fresno maybe we can all smash together sometime. Glad to know another olimar is near :p btw I live in Los banos if you k now where that is

I know where that is. Who's the guy you know in Fresno. I might know him.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
I did some training today vs MK working on my pivot grab and I'm pretty good at it. Didn't roll once. The problem I'm finding right now is it's really hard for me to nair/uair him well. He alwyas seems to be barely out of range and he can dair me before my uair hits him. Kinda gay. Any suggestions?

Sorry for double post heh.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I did some training today vs MK working on my pivot grab and I'm pretty good at it. Didn't roll once. The problem I'm finding right now is it's really hard for me to nair/uair him well. He alwyas seems to be barely out of range and he can dair me before my uair hits him. Kinda gay. Any suggestions?

Sorry for double post heh.
Uair is amazing, but I use it mostly when my opponent is clearly above me (as opposed to spacing himself above me). Nair vs mk is usually best when you're challenging glide attack, but I'm not one to use nair much despite knowing it's uses and advantages (personal thing, idk).

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Alright. That makes sense. Most of the times I did it, it was when he was falling from being knock'd up and he'd bair to keep me at bay when I tried to attack him.

Asa

Smash Hero
if he's above you, just go for an uair instead of a nair

one of the better uses for nair is whistle -> nair when you're trying to get out of the air

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You don't always have to "beat" a move. It's laggy. When he does it, run, get some distance, and throw pikmin. Camp.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Anyone who lives close to or are in Cali willing to play me and maybe tell me whats wrong? I'd be willing to battle anyone, but if you are in cali or close to lot less lag ;D

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014

Unwinable.
Because...? Please give me a ratio too. I know for sure that this is in R.O.B.'s favour but the R.O.B. mainers keep persisting that you guys win. =P
Please be more specific.

steep

Smash Lord
I use a little olimar against my friend's ROB, and all I can say is that I usually beat him, but he seems to have an easy time gimping me. ROB's offstage game is pretty sick for gimping, since he can run out your jumps and get you too far from the ledge to recover with upb with just his fair.

I am by no means an olimar pro, but I have been watching some videos of this MU and it seems that ROB wins mostly through his offstage game being able to gimp you so easily, plus ROB has the tools to get Olimar offstage, between his throws and aerials, as well as his ftilt and laser/gyro.

The only reason I probably beat my friend is because I know his ROB pretty well and he doesn't know how to fight my Olimar very well yet. Plus I'm probably just a little more solid at the fundamentals of brawl than he is. :D

I think that Olimar would get beaten pretty badly if both players knew the MU since ROB has some sick gimping options, and Olimar can't seem to do too much that he usually can. For example, camping is beaten by ROB's nair, and you will have a hard time punishing it because of it's insanely long-lasting hitboxes.

Sorry for the wall of text. If any Olimar mains disagree with me, feel free to comment! Ha Ha

Dnyce

Smash Master
Because...? Please give me a ratio too. I know for sure that this is in R.O.B.'s favour but the R.O.B. mainers keep persisting that you guys win. =P
Please be more specific.
I thought ratios went out the door with the match-up chart...

That being said, I would say "unwinable" would constitute a -5

Dnyce

Smash Master
Hey, remember when I use to think Olimar beat Rob, Fino? Good times. Oh and when I thought it was even? :laugh:
Fixed?

Rob is Olimar's hardest match-up, and it's been progressively getting worse and worse as time goes on. Apex was a rude awakening for us all.

Dnyce

Smash Master
MAN... I can't believe I forgot to get this guy

Also aerials don't clank with things, it probably would clank if it were a ground move, but instead it would have to flat out beat the aerial, which I highly doubt it can do.
Olimar's aerials clank.

Got'em

afk

:shyguy: :shyguy: :shyguy:

Asa

Smash Hero
rob just gimps us with out any real effort

he outcamps us too

thank goodness there aren't many of them

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
!@#$%^&*( I can't beat R.O.B!!!!!!!! That stupid gyro and his laser and his ****ing aerials and ****! RAGERAGERAGERAGE
You can't beat him as Olimar or Lucario? Olimar I assume, since you're here.

If you really want advice on the matchup, you should probably talk to Hilt; he's played one of the better ROBs out there several times so he'd be able to give you some pointers.

Dnyce

Smash Master
If you really want advice on the matchup, you should probably talk to Hilt; he's played one of the better ROBs out there several times so he'd be able to give you some pointers.

Yeah...

don't ask that one olimar....

who like...

has 3-stocked...

tommy and chibo...

or anything like that...

cause...

random ROBs know what they're doing...

n ****...

-dead-

Top Bottom