• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Any tips for the mirror match?
Oh god. Fsmash is great, yellows in particular. Don't ever dash grab unless the punish is guaranteed. Throw pikmin, he will too. Learn how to gimp him, it shouldn't take long since you should know how Olimar can get gimped. Don't let him land. Uair is great for that, as is pivot grab, fsmash, etc. Purples purples purples. Fair is okay at punishing fsmash if you call it, long as you jump over the fsmash. Don't expect momentum to come easy, you're playing against Olimar. Otherwise you'll just run into all his stuff. And he's got a lotta stuff.

Rottenyogurt

Smash Rookie
So when people are being aggressive:
Should i be spot-dodging. Or should i just shield/roll/running away more?
And are there specific times when a spot-dodge is better then a shield or roll?

FredFuchs

Smash Apprentice
So when people are being aggressive:
Should i be spot-dodging. Or should i just shield/roll/running away more?
And are there specific times when a spot-dodge is better then a shield or roll?
the best i can say is to constantly run away and throw in some pivot grabs here and there. shield is a decent option because you can grab and up smash out of shield. rolling isn't bad if done in moderation. jab is also a decent option. if my memory serves me correctly, olimars don't spot dodge too much.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
How do you manage all your Pikmin?
So yep, Olimar seems like a cool (higher tiered) character to play as, and I'm thinking of switching to him. but it seems really messy to know what pikmin you have, unless you're looking at them all the time...
Even with that, why dont Olimar players do their moves like, once every ~2 sec (because of evaluation of what they should do with a certain pikmin)? It seems like it would be annoying to use the wrong pikmin for a move not suited for its purpose.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I was pretty sure I did a write up way back when about that. And since it's a question asked relatively often, and something I imagine a lot of newer Olimars have a problem with, here's the post from back then. Should answer your questions, but if you have any more, ask away!
One thing I like to recommend to others that are starting to notice their line on the fly is this. Take it in steps. The most important Pikmin to know where they are are purples. So at first, every time you jump, every time you're hit by an opponent and you whistle as you're coming back to the ground, every time you get a moment of that you aren't under pressure or pressuring them, take note of where every purple is in your line. Pay attention to when you think they're going to be coming up, what situation you want to be in, what situation you think you might have to be in, what you think you can accomplish with it, and try to make the best out of it. Bring it up faster if you think you can effectively, adapt yourself to how you can use it best if you don't. Since you get the most benefits from purples when you use them correctly (while having some drawbacks if you don't), you want to know where they are primarily.

Next are whites. Reason whites are next is because of the opposite. There are major, major drawbacks if you use them incorrectly. And it's really easy to do. Start using the same method to notice where all of your purples and whites are, when you're good watching for purples. And whenever you have a white coming up, toss it at the opponent. Either it'll latch on or do a million damage and die, it'll get swatted off by the enemy and die, or it'll miss them and fly off the stage like a moron and die. Either way that's a win/win for you. Just make sure you're safe when you're doing so. Grabbing with them is okay too I guess but that's going off on a tangent and is a question for another topic.

Afterwards it's up to you. If you feel confident paying attention to most of your line (you don't need to pay attention to every bit of it if it's hindering your play), you're good to go. At that point you'll want to effectively work on utilizing every pikmin for their role and job. Long and short of it is not that you want to think "Okay, my first pikmin is ____, my second is ____, my third is ____, etc, etc," you more so want to think "Okay, my ____ pikmin is in this spot, my ____ pikmin are in these spots, etc, etc." I think that's the most effective way to go about it and definitely something worth working on. Best of luck!
On that note, I have a plan. I'm going to start revamping the Brawl Olimar board bit by bit, starting with the Q&A thread. A lot of questions are asked in here a lot, when we could have made it easier to compile some in the opening post for reference. Over the next week I'm going to start going through this thread post by post and taking note of which questions are asked more often, and any quality answers there are littered throughout the thread in general.

I don't plan on reviving the Olimar boards, by any means, but I'd like to make it more appealing and informative to newer players, as well as those trying to just pick him up as a secondary or new main.

D

Deleted member 189823

Can others break your pikmin smashes? I know we can break through U-Smash with FF N-Air, with Bowser. But what about F & D-Smash? Does the same apply to your Grab?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
With Bowser? Yes. I distinctly remember Zigsta jabbing my Fsmash away and laughing at me.
If you just meant with any character, then yes. Pikmin kinda count as separate entities with their own hurtboxes, so you can interrupt them by hitting them before they hit you (rocketing and UpB are two exceptions).

Pikmin are completely intangible during a grab, which means that they neither take damage nor cause hitlag when you try to hit them.
You can interrupt a grab if you hit Olimar himself, though.

Sorry it took so long to respond. I've been incredibly busy for the past couple of months. ^^;

Last edited:

solarunity6

Smash Rookie
My question to everyone here is why are the olimar threads so sparse in replies? I checked the latest threads, and only a few have had posts in the past few weeks. I'm just curious about l the lack of activity here and I'm wondering if there are ways to fix it.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
Hardly anyone plays brawl anymore, and no one wants to play as olimar cause he's super gay. Feel free to post in the social thread.

The only way to get conversations going is by talking.

Noa.

Smash Master
Olimar' camping game is very strong in Brawl. He can outcamp every single character except for falco. They both go even in camp.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
I play regularly with a toon link main and when people spectate they only see a circle being drawn with pikmin.
Am i doing it right?
Am i nietono yet?

Top Bottom