• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

kelumhi

Smash Cadet
Ghost Pikmin are Olimar's worst nightmare. Through fluke occurrences, some of the pikmin in Olimar's line can be transformed into blank spaces in Olimar's line. These "ghosts" follow the order of the line, but do no damage and instead force Olimar to whiff his attack when they are up. It is believed that ghost pikmin appear due to some sort of interaction with ledges, and that tethering to or whistling at the ledge where the ghost pikmin formed will get rid of it. (This remedy has yet to be fully tested.)
do we have a solution to this?
can we send them to the back with a whistle?
do we now know what causes it?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Just go to where the Pikmin disappeared and use any Pikmin attack.
Pulls it right out of midair.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Hey Oli-mains. I'm looking to main Olimar and had a couple questions.

1) Who's the best Olimar on the west coast?

2) Is Blood the best Olimar? I know he's not in the U.S. though.

3)From a lot of videos I watched, it seems you spam fsmash and grab along with pikmin throw. I know theres more to him, but is everthing else just situational?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey Oli-mains. I'm looking to main Olimar and had a couple questions.

1) Who's the best Olimar on the west coast?

2) Is Blood the best Olimar? I know he's not in the U.S. though.

3)From a lot of videos I watched, it seems you spam fsmash and grab along with pikmin throw. I know theres more to him, but is everthing else just situational?
1) Rich Brown in California is probably who you'd look for.

2) This isn't quite an easy question to answer, but he is definitely among the best. If you're interested in Japanese Olimars you could also look into Nietono, who Japan believes to be better than Blood.

3) Which moves you use the most often will differ from matchup to matchup. While Fsmash, Grab, and Pikmin Throw are all staples in Olimar's gameplay, Nair, Fair, Uair, Usmash, Dsmash, and Whistle are all very important elements as well. Nearly everything in Olimar's moveset has a use. (Except for Ftlit. That move is just worthless.)

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
1) Rich Brown in California is probably who you'd look for.

2) This isn't quite an easy question to answer, but he is definitely among the best. If you're interested in Japanese Olimars you could also look into Nietono, who Japan believes to be better than Blood.

3) Which moves you use the most often will differ from matchup to matchup. While Fsmash, Grab, and Pikmin Throw are all staples in Olimar's gameplay, Nair, Fair, Uair, Usmash, Dsmash, and Whistle are all very important elements as well. Nearly everything in Olimar's moveset has a use. (Except for Ftlit. That move is just worthless.)
1) Cool. I'm in cali so I'll def have to look him up.

2) I ment Brood lol. Sorry. Not blood. I might have to check blood out though if hes that good.

3) I know that. I've been rading a lot of the combo threads and what not, but I was just curious if there was anything I was missing. Thank you very much though. Hope I can do the Olimar mains proud some day =D

BTW, Ryze is OP right now in LoL. Just saying. ;D

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
I'm honestly still a little confused about what makes whistle so useful. Sorry for the noobish comments. I mean I understand you can't get knockedback while whistling and it re-orders your pikmin. Beside that, what's it's use?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Its super armor is its main use. It's more valuable than you think. 15 frames of super armor on a 20 frame move is kind of a big deal.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Right. Just making sure. I'm a very in dpeth kinda guy. I like knowing everything about a character before I pick them up. I do a lot of video watching and what not just to see how they are played high end so I can see what I could have. Sometimes that's a bad thing I guess. Thanks though for the info. Can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
I'm back already. It's about his DACUS. I can DACUS fine with Snake and Link and people like that, but I can''t tell if I'm doing it right with Oli because I don't know how far he slides or how defined it is. Any idea how to tell with Oli?

Jane

Smash Hero
he gains like no distance with his dacus... dont worry about it. concentrate on making sure you dont **** up any pivot grabs, and then move on to learning boost pivot grabs.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
he gains like no distance with his dacus... dont worry about it. concentrate on making sure you dont **** up any pivot grabs, and then move on to learning boost pivot grabs.
TYVM =D Good to know I'm not messing it up. Pivot grabs are something I've never really practiced even though I should when I use to play Ike a lot.

What's the best way to practice it beside training mode? Like, any certain character I should practice on or anything?

Jane

Smash Hero
na no specific character, just choose whoever and go to town on pivot grabs. you dont even actually have to grab them, just practice running different distances and pivot grabbing.

i used to do sets like, 40 short distance pivot grabs (where you almost immediately pivot grab after dashing) and then 40 long distance pivot grabs (you can choose how long as long as you dont do the exact same distance over and over).

under pressure, i would mess up pivot grabs and accidentally roll which sucked. it not only made me look scrubby as ****, but it almost always ended up in me getting punished. so yeah make sure you got your pivot grabs down. you'll be doing a lot of them.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Thanks again Jane. I'll def get to that tonight. Probably be up all night working on them. Till my thumbs go raw lol.

I'm curious though, how was Brood able to beat M2K not bad, but pretty good at Apex '10. Like what made him be the better player?

Also, is minding your pikmin rotation really that crucial? Is that something that makes Oli a bit more difficult mental wise? Once again, sorry for all the questions.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Thanks again Jane. I'll def get to that tonight. Probably be up all night working on them. Till my thumbs go raw lol.

I'm curious though, how was Brood able to beat M2K not bad, but pretty good at Apex '10. Like what made him be the better player?

Also, is minding your pikmin rotation really that crucial? Is that something that makes Oli a bit more difficult mental wise? Once again, sorry for all the questions.
M2K has limited Olimar experience, and the Japanese are very methodical players. An apt analogy for those games would be a bullfight - Brood was the torero and just stayed a step ahead of M2K.

And yes, paying attention to your line is the key to being a great Olimar. You can ignore it and do just fine, but the great players are always mindful of what they have and in what order. It's good to start out by just trying to pay attention to the next 2 or 3 in line.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Alright. I know that in one of the threads, you guys said the Yellow is best for your usmash's. Is there a way to keep it timed between all your throwing and fsmashing? like a tip or trick to make it easier?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
You're going to notice through your journeys that few know a damn thing about this stupid character. Take advantage of it. Embrace it. Love it. It's one of your biggest weapons as an Olimar main.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
You're going to notice through your journeys that few know a damn thing about this stupid character. Take advantage of it. Embrace it. Love it. It's one of your biggest weapons as an Olimar main.
So basically abuse the unknown or their lack of wanting to know what they're fighting. Got it.

Jane

Smash Hero
speaking of people not knowing the character....

denti unfolded unto silly kyle (peach from az) the secrets of delfino...

curse you denti.

Dnyce

Smash Master
From a lot of videos I watched, it seems you spam fsmash and grab along with pikmin throw. I know theres more to him, but is everthing else just situational?
You have it backwards. Generally speaking, you want to throw Pikmin until you can forward smash or grab.
I like knowing everything about a character before I pick them up.
I'm sorry.

(I've been playing Olimar for 3 years now, and am still discovering new things about him).
Any idea how to tell with Oli?
Slightly further than a running upsmash.

Like what made him be the better player?

Also, is minding your pikmin rotation really that crucial?
Adaptation.

I don't think so, but I'm pretty sure most of my stuff is subconscious. I usually focus on purples and whites if anything.
^This.

Most Olimar mains don't even know a damn thing about this stupid character :awesome:

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Lol Dnyce. Thanks for all the responses. You made me chuckle with the "I'm sorry". I probably should've been a little less loose with my words. I like to know as much as possible that way I can tell if they would be a good fit. Don't need everything ;D.

I'm curious as to why the purples and whites. I know whites are your major latch dmg, but the purples are just for knockback which I guess is what you need for spacing.

So what you're saying is most Olimar mains just get lucky in matches ;P Good to know.

EDIT: Epic response Jane

I'm going to say sorry in advance seeing as this question has nohing to do with Oli.

I Played Halo for MLG for 5 years and didn't really follow brawl this last year, but how did ADHD and M2K manipulate the brackets? I feel safer asking here then general lol.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Purples are the best thing ever.
They have knockback on toss and kill at horribly low percentages with smashes and Uthrow.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Lol Dnyce. Thanks for all the responses. You made me chuckle with the "I'm sorry". I probably should've been a little less loose with my words. I like to know as much as possible that way I can tell if they would be a good fit. Don't need everything ;D.

I'm curious as to why the purples and whites. I know whites are your major latch dmg, but the purples are just for knockback which I guess is what you need for spacing.

So what you're saying is most Olimar mains just get lucky in matches ;P Good to know.

EDIT: Epic response Jane
Well, I can't really generalize the use for the other Pikmin, purples and whites are just the most important to me (and generally the easiest to keep track of due to not getting as many of them). The merits of the other Pikmin are a product of the context and the opposing player's character. Meanwhile, correct use of purples and whites have potential to change a game... and their uses are fairly universal across each match-up.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm....so the yellow and red are good and all, but focusing on getting them/having them up for attacks is more situational for the most use of them. Right?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I see. So where do reds come in the most beside good latch dmg?
Reds don't have superior latch damage.

Red aerials and smashes do slightly more damage than blues and purples and kill slightly earlier than blues.
They're also immune to fire, which can be a blessing occasionally.

For more information, check our slightly old guide.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Hmmm....so the yellow and red are good and all, but focusing on getting them/having them up for attacks is more situational for the most use of them. Right?
*thumbs up*

R/Y/B function equally most of the time, but when one is better than the other is situational. Examples:
(1) Reds are best for aerials, most of the time a yellow or blue aerial will accomplish a similar effect.
(2) Blues are best for throws, most of the time a yellow or red throw will accompling a similar effect. In terms of killing, at least you are given the benefit of being put in an advantage situation as well as unstaling your kill throw.

//generalization

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
I read most of that guide already Clover :D. Thanks though I'll go back to it and see if I'm asking stupid questions. Last thing I want is to bug you guys.

Cool Dnyce. Glad I got that outta the way lol. Why is it you think people don't know that much about Olimar? A lot of people just don't play him extensivly enough?

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Y'know that weird kid that other kids don't really want to associate with, but he's actually a complex, interesting individual?

That's Olimar.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Y'know that weird kid that other kids don't really want to associate with, but he's actually a complex, interesting individual?

That's Olimar.
What? gay. lol.

Olimar's code files are about 9 times larger than every other character, there's just a lot to know I guess. As for non-Olimar mains, most people hate the match-up and refuse to practice it. It's a self-destructive mentality if you ask me.

fatalmztake

Smash Apprentice
Hmmmm....not the reason I picked him up, but it works. It was honestly between him or Wario. Both fit my personality/playstyle very well. I figure I'll end up playing them both at some point, but I feel I'd like Oli more for my main. =D

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
@Fino -
I set up...

THE PERFECT chance for a Stoop Kid reference...

And you don't take it.
AFK.

Top Bottom