• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
can you use that after you DI and aerial to momentum cancel? that would be sick... hard to do, but sick.

And btw this from earlier
"Wait so for quartercircle is that with the control stick or the c stick? and does that work in addition to normal SDI? <.<"
Wow, that's actually a good question. I'm actually not sure; while I'm pretty sure that the majority of the time you'd be facing the stage and therefore only able to B-reverse away from it, I don't know if it would work in killing momentum of that magnitude. This deserves attention. As far as quartercirle DI, that's with the control stick. You can find an in-depth explanation of all things DI here.
What exactly do you mean when you say quartercircle?
It's when you roll the control stick from one direction to another, like down, to down-left, to left. If you've played fighting games then you've probably done this

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Whistle momentum canceling...
This would be sexier than an orgy. This would make Olimar god-of-the-gods tier.

Has anyone ever tested this? If not then I'll test it out. If this works, I'm making Olimar Olimar's whistle my main.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
That's because PSI Magnet actually stops your moment, not shifts it. It CAN shift it, but it's main purpose is stopping it. Whistle does not stop your momentum, but you can bounce it to shift it to the other direction. I don't think you can wave bounce during knockback, though, otherwise just about every character would be doing it.

Dajayman

PSI Magnet does NOT stop your momentum, it in fact adds more negative momentum. Most b moves that affect your aerial momentum in normal situations (like Lucas' and Ness' PKFs recoils them back in the air, or PSI Magnet stalls you in the air) give a negative momentum boost if used during knockback.

Only a few b moves cancel momentum: G&W downb, DK's upb, and Yoshi's sideb. The moves ignore any momentum and come out without any weird momentum changes.

Zelda's Naryu's Love is unique because normally used will add negative momentum, but when b-reversed the negative momentum boost gets reversed towards the stage and cancels out her negative momentum from knockback. B-reverse momentum canceling seems to be unique only the Naryu's Love. I've tested this on all of Ness' b moves that give negative momentum boosts during knockback (PSI Magnet, PK Fire, PK Flash), but it didn't matter if they were b-reversed or not and negative momentum boosts occurred no matter what.

I was just wondering if Olimar's whistle could possibly be b-reversed and help cancel momentum. I'm not even sure if whistle adds negative momentum boost if used during knockback, if that doesn't occurr then there's no point to test it out further. I'll take Hilt's word and just leave it at that. It would've been so sweet though, sweeter than a mountain of sugar...

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Samus would like a word with both of you. And not that Zero Suit **** either, I'm talkin bout geared up, blow-****-up, skull****-you Samus

Zori

Smash Champion
so im going to Dallas, cant wait to see my oli brothers! :D

why did i post here lol

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I usually take out Frigate or anything that has a lack of platforms, against Yoshi. Yoshi's ability to punish landings in this matchup is far, far better than ours. You don't want to land anywhere near him, and platforms make it a lot easier on you. Also, Yoshi landing on platforms is great for us, as it's easy for us to keep pressure on him on them, since his options are limited on it. So for the ban, anything between Frigate, FD, SV, and Rainbow Cruise, imo. For Counterpicks, I usually prefer Battlefield and Lylat.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
That specific player is comfortable on RC and uncomfortable on Frigate.
Use that however you want. XP

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
WHAT.

He's going to receive such a beating for lying to me.

Denti

Smash Master
By the way you guys, same question but for sonic (espy) what stage should I counterpick? Delfino just isn't working and definitely not RC because he does weird glitchty **** with that invincibility all over that stage. SUPER STALL

Dnyce

Smash Master
By the way you guys, same question but for sonic (espy) what stage should I counterpick?
Ban - Yoshi's island, Picto (whichever you like least) or PS1 (if you think you're going to get timed out). If you ban PS1, just avoid contact every time they spin on the ledge.

CP - Anything else. lol, really.

Also, don't shield against sonic if he starts his spin thing in the air cause he can do spinny thing to grab (and most likely will if that shield goes up). If he starts it on the ground he can't grab you so it's safe to shield.

Denti

Smash Master
What stages in specific would you counterpick? Espy will stall any stage, and any stage with a slant he'll get invincibility from even weird stages like delfino and RC

Oh yeah I learned the hard way this week about being in the shield against him. No out of shield jump canceling up smash at all. I was real sad.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Not a problem, Denti :)

And for Sonic, I would CP stages with platforms to stand under. Like Yoshi, but for differen't reasons, lol. Sonic has a difficult time approaching when he has to deal with you having a platform over your head, and it makes it a bit harder for him to run around with UpB and Dair. As for bans, Fino's right, lol. Personally I would ban Yoshi's because on Picto you can just run to the other side of the stage when he spins on the ledge. It wastes time, but he's not going to hit you. Or you can dance around the hazards. I don't know the Sonic matchup as well as I do Yoshi, though.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Definitely. All of the above. Halberd and Battlefield would probably be the better of the three, but I would imagine Lylat working really well.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
OH! Just remembered something.
P0lt's uncomfortable on Frigate, but it's a good stage for Yoshi anyway.

I remember threatening to take him there a while back in the Austin thread and I kind of gave him a rundown of our "bad" stages at one point, but I don't know what exactly he took out of that. ^^;

Dajayman

I got my a** wrecked by a Yoshi player before. Kept pivot grabbing my landing... :/
I have almost zero Yoshi experience with Olimar.

Dajayman

Yeah, he ***** me hard. It was probably revenge for me asking to buy his Yoshi doll the entire time, lol.

Should've went Ness, I know Yoshi really well with Ness.

Denti

Smash Master
To avoid getting pivot grab juggled by yoshi I use several whistle reversals. You stay safe from physical attacks and you control where you land.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Do you guys have a .gif of Olimar's whistle? Just want to know how it looks (and how Olimar looks like when he's not in SAF)

Top Bottom