• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
what do we do when they approach us and we are near the edge? charge them grab or what? rolling is bad i know, but i get ***** every time it seems.

also what do we do against DK, i know it's not a bad mu but i have no experience with it.
For the first question, are you talking about Marth? It would depend on the type: if he's the type that takes to the air often, Grounded UpB can be good if read well, Pivot Grabbing is always nice when done properly, and Yellow Fair is an option as well. Other than that, it just depends on experience.

And Fino answered your DK question :) What he said, plus avoid Bair. Also avoid his Dtilt Trip>Ground Pound combo. And ALWAYS ban Yoshi's when striking (the angles give his UpB super armor for the first move that hits him).
I don't find DK a problem.

BBUUTT...what do we do against :metaknight: ?
Get good at the game.

As unhelpful as that sounds, that's really the only thing I can think of for the matchup. In order to do well at it, you have to be good at reading and baiting. There are so many aspects of the matchup to cover that it's nearly impossible to shorten into a paragraph. Definitely watch videos; you can learn a lot more from watching a game than by reading about the matchup.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
No vids. I went to a smashfest yesterday and Ook was abusing upb superarmor glitch like crazy. He'd just tank everything and counter when he landed. It was funny and saddening at the same time, watching a DK tank usmashes at 180% and then just landing and dsmashing to win.

You can grab DK to counter it, but it's kinda hard to space a grab as he's floating down spinning his arms, plus the fact Ook is smart enough to know when to use it so he won't get grabbed.

Ook too good. :dk:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
No vids. I went to a smashfest yesterday and Ook was abusing upb superarmor glitch like crazy. He'd just tank everything and counter when he landed. It was funny and saddening at the same time, watching a DK tank usmashes at 180% and then just landing and dsmashing to win.

You can grab DK to counter it, but it's kinda hard to space a grab as he's floating down spinning his arms, plus the fact Ook is smart enough to know when to use it so he won't get grabbed.

Ook too good. :dk:
An Olimar complaining about a character tanking a move and countering

LOL

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
WHISTLE. bahaha.
btw im gonna second ganondorf, how do i murder stuff??
just kidding. Although i am gonna second the 'dorf xD

Lol i do have an actual question. Is it a good idea to base what attack you use on the pikmin next in line, or to have an attack in mind then get to the pikmin best for that attack? (whenever possible of course, not all the time.)
Example: I have a red next in line, but a blue and purple towards the back. Should i go for an aerial with the red, or pikmin toss/whistle to get to the blue and grab, or get to the purple and usmash?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
WHISTLE. bahaha.
btw im gonna second ganondorf, how do i murder stuff??
just kidding. Although i am gonna second the 'dorf xD

Lol i do have an actual question. Is it a good idea to base what attack you use on the pikmin next in line, or to have an attack in mind then get to the pikmin best for that attack? (whenever possible of course, not all the time.)
Example: I have a red next in line, but a blue and purple towards the back. Should i go for an aerial with the red, or pikmin toss/whistle to get to the blue and grab, or get to the purple and usmash?
It depends. When you're in the racking damage phase, you don't necessarily have to think as much about what your next attack should be; I usually just look at my line and act accordingly. Once you get to higher percentages, then you'll want to begin planning how you'll get to your kill pikmin.

There are matchup specific tactics, of course. For instance, if I'm playing a Marth and I predict he's about to approach, and there's a yellow second in my line, perhaps I'll throw the first one then SH a fair - things like that just depend on the matchup and your playstyle.

Dajayman

All the pikmin are pretty good in general (except whites). What I mean is that even though red pikmin are the best at aerials, it's not like purple or blues won't be killing either. The only time you should be throwing away pikmin are whites, they're garbage at anything but pikmin toss and grab pummels.

Also you don't always have to throw a pikmin away. Example: Let's say you think you can land an usmash on your opponent who has 80%, but you have a yellow first and a purple next. Remember Olimar has very quick moves, so you can use something like fsmash to move away the yellow and then buffer the purple usmash that'll kill.

You should always try to have 6 pikmin with you at all times, especially in percents where you can easily be sent flying. Nothing worse than getting gimped because you were short a pikmin or two. So I advise to not simply throw unwanted pikmin away, unless they're whites. I effin' hate whites.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Throwing whites away is stupid when you can just throw them at your opponent. They'll kill them for you or they'll take damage. Throwing pikmin awa is often a good idea, in some situations, and you can easily just pluck ones to replace them immediately.

Dajayman

I do throw my whites at my opponent but I tend to throw my whites where if they miss they go offstage. It's a win-win situation.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Unfortunately, our communist leaders have taken away the guide for now, but I did post a lot of stuff a few pages back (maybe 7 or 8, Ill go get it in a second).
Here's the helpful links thread (who cares if that's not its name -.-) http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271409

And is your sig from bleach? i watched up to episode 35 and it was freaking BA, but i heard it sucks later... i watched an episode from way later and i could see why... Cool show from what i saw though.

Edit: here, page 55 http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=266665&page=55

Angbad

Smash Ace
NNID
Angbad
Most falcos I play I lose to, but if I didn't die all the time at stupid early percents I'd be winning a lot more.

How do I get out of the cg, avoid the spike, and survive the spike

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Most falcos I play I lose to, but if I didn't die all the time at stupid early percents I'd be winning a lot more.

Realize this now: Falco may be Olimar's hardest matchup, on par with MK and worse than Marth when played competently. This one's always gonna give you trouble, unless we make some groundbreaking discovery. That said, surviving the chain grab isn't too difficult:

1) You can cancel the spike with Tether (you get used to the timing after a few times)

2) You can practice SDIing it onto the stage to tech it, though I myself haven't done this yet so I don't know how difficult or easy it is.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
"Quarter Circle Directional Influence is actually SDI but used in a slightly different manner. Since the joystick only registers new input, we can do a quarter circle in a specific direction to do the equivalent of 3 times SDI in a specific direction. This means that if we get hit and sent in an upward direction, you know that you should SDI downward. Therefore you would have to do a quarter circle in a downward direction, which would be either down left, down, down right, or in the opposite order.

The reason why this works is because you can consider each of these inputs as a vector form force, which would mean that your actually pressing down 3 times, pressing right once and left once. This would mean both horizontal directions would cancel out, leaving only 3 downwards input(this is only true if you do not collide with the ground during those frames, since you really will move to the left and THEN to the right, which means overall it cancels out).

This all has to be done within the freeze frames or else those inputs will be useless(just slide the control stick in a quarter circle).Many people asked me why not a half a circle DI, but the answer is actually quite simple. Not only would it take more time, thus decreasing your chances of successfully doing it, but it also only adds horizontal or vertical vectors/input that cancel each other out. "
-Swordgard's guide

Do this^ into the stage and tech.

Edit: Or if you want to tether to the stage, you can't buffer the tether (AKA spam upb). The pikmin might freak out on you. Try to time it.

Noa.

Smash Master
Realize this now: Falco may be Olimar's hardest matchup, on par with MK and worse than Marth when played competently. This one's always gonna give you trouble, unless we make some groundbreaking discovery. That said, surviving the chain grab isn't too difficult:

1) You can cancel the spike with Tether (you get used to the timing after a few times)

2) You can practice SDIing it onto the stage to tech it, though I myself haven't done this yet so I don't know how difficult or easy it is.
MK is still a harder matchup. Barely but it is. And MK isn't bad at all and so Falco isn't too bad either.

Jane

Smash Hero
^i agree. what might be the worst matchup for one, might be the easiest of the bad matchups for someone else.

when it comes to bad matchups, its hard to pinpoint which one is harder. a lot of factors influence it like your playstyle, the people you have to practice against, and THEIR playstyle with the character

Dnyce

Smash Master
(1) Like every other chain grab, you can only get out by either mashing or hope they mess up.

(2) You cannot avoid the spike unless they mess up.

(3) You can DI the spike into the stage, you can tech the spike, and you can meteor cancel with jump or upB (jumping being the most reliable, assuming you didn't press jump during the CG - if you have tap jump on and you press up while being CG that counts as jumping).
look at dan getting back into talking about oli :D i like it
Me too :)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
What's whistle bouncing :3?
A B-reversed whistle. You Whistle, then quartercircle the control stick the opposite direction of wherever you're facing. It erases momentum, meaning that instead of needing to decelerate and then accelerate in the opposite direction, you just start accelerating in the opposite direction. Gives you more mobility and unpredictability

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
can you use that after you DI and aerial to momentum cancel? that would be sick... hard to do, but sick.

And btw this from earlier
"Wait so for quartercircle is that with the control stick or the c stick? and does that work in addition to normal SDI? <.<"

Top Bottom