• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Asa

Smash Hero
does anyone have an opinion on an oli/pikachu team?

any gimmicks?
what are their dynamics?
are they a good team?

Asa

Smash Hero
olimar is pretty good in teams. if you know how to play defensively when needed and can whistle well/have good DI, you'll be a good stocktank that can kill early

he's an extrememly good DPS character . with correct followups from your partner the opponent will not know what hit them.

oli - mk

oli - luigi

olimar's best teammates are characters that can save him without too much trouble (rob, mk, wario), and characters that have good kill moves that may be hard to land otherwise (ie luigi shoryuken)

having a character that can 2v1 well is another good trait to look for in a partner (mk). when i play olimar in teams i like to be behind my partner and punish stuff for most of the game, and go for early percent combos when they are at a fresh stock.

WOOOOOOOOT 1,000

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Ook and I were doing pretty decent in teams. Yeah, I was pretty much stock tanking of our games, which is odd around DK. And the fact that Ook is so godd*** clutch helps too (managed to beat Day's G&W at 180% while she had like 50%).

Too bad our team chemistry wasn't all that great, if we had better team combos we would've done better. We just ended up barely losing to people who had amazing team chemistry and team combos.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
whats the best cp against olimars doing character matchup for pit boards rainbow? Brinstar? Pictochat? etc etc.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
does anyone have an opinion on an oli/pikachu team?

any gimmicks?
what are their dynamics?
are they a good team?
In my minimal experience, Pikachu gets a lot of kills with Thunder and you assist by racking damage and putting them up there with Purple Usmash.
Pikachu can rack damage well on certain characters too with his chaingrabs.
Also, you can toss opponents into Thunder.
Just don't get too caught up in zoning opponents or the Pikachu might get overwhelmed.

That's all I know. ^^;

Asa

Smash Hero
whats the best cp against olimars doing character matchup for pit boards rainbow? Brinstar? Pictochat? etc etc.
not picto, it's like fd with gimmicks that we can abuse

usually i ban brinstar

frigate is pretty good stage to take oli to. keep in mind that we get higher purples and yellows, and the second transformation is great for us. you would need to get most of your work done on the first transformation

personally i hate going to smashville cuz i feel cramped on that stage, try it out

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
^brinstar is good for oli if the other character is bad in the air (aka bowser etc. Also i find that snake is easier here, idk why though.) I personally like the stage if im not playing against a character with insane aerials/can abuse the gimmicks there. I actually will ban it sometimes against mk.

but yeah frigate is a good cp to oli, but asa gotcha with the yellows and purples, they are fat and you'll get your face handed to you in a spool of electricity.

I love SV dude... it's not cramped at all :O i can get my combos off so easily here, plus i like the platform. It all kinda just depends on who you're playing, and what stages you like the best.

Asa

Smash Hero
why sonic and tl ?

^brinstar is good for oli if the other character is bad in the air (aka bowser etc. Also i find that snake is easier here, idk why though.) I personally like the stage if im not playing against a character with insane aerials/can abuse the gimmicks there. I actually will ban it sometimes against mk.

but yeah frigate is a good cp to oli, but asa gotcha with the yellows and purples, they are fat and you'll get your face handed to you in a spool of electricity.

I love SV dude... it's not cramped at all :O i can get my combos off so easily here, plus i like the platform. It all kinda just depends on who you're playing, and what stages you like the best.
smashville is one of the smaller stages, it can get cramped

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Good teammates for Olimar (imo):
G&W
Kirby
Luigi
MK
Sonic
TL
Lol kirby olimar is actually a really good team. I went with Gravity to TAS if fino remembers, and we actually did really well... especially since we had practiced maybe only 3 or 4 games and a couple friendlies xD

oh yeah i have a question too.
what's the most epic combo olimar has? (something that is do-able, if it
s extremely situational idc, i just wanna know what it is :D)
im thinkin something along these lines:

0% nair>shieldgrab>dthrow>usmash>tether>read>purplethrow>another purplethrow>grab again>fthrow off the stage>ethier spike or gimp.

i need something more epic than this.

Dnyce

Smash Master
why sonic and tl ?
Sonic is amazing at punishment in teams, so he can get to the opponent stupid fast if Olimar is under pressure. Sonic's main function in teams is to just punish / distract.

TL is good cause he has 8 jumps and can just harass people from above while you keep stage control. He can easily get people to focus on him while you do your thing and his follow-ups to Olimar's combos are amazing.

EDIT
what's the most epic combo olimar has? (something that is do-able, if it
s extremely situational idc, i just wanna know what it is :D)
im thinkin something along these lines:

0% nair>shieldgrab>dthrow>usmash>tether>read>purplethrow>another purplethrow>grab again>fthrow off the stage>ethier spike or gimp.

i need something more epic than this.
Yellow pikmin toss > fair

Best combo ever. WHAT'CHU KNO BOUT AWEX SON!

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Sonic is the worst character. When a character's best potential metagame is praying to get a percent lead and then running away the entire set that's a good sign your character is the worst.

Marth is second worst, Ivysaur is third, Ganon fourth.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Okay, so:

Lately I've been drowning in frustration with my Olimar (that my be a bit of an exaggeration in terms of wording xD) I know most of the basics, how to use each individual pikmin, grab combos, best potential moves and stuff. I pivot grab a lot, but it hasn't been helping me much. I don't know when to use F-smash clearly, although I'm pretty clear in it's use as a get away move in low damage. Same with UPsmash, + the fact that yellow and purple upsmash are amazing kill moves.

Besides that, I really find myself getting "comboed" a lot. Once I start getting hit, I'm pretty much done for, both on and off the stage. I also have a general trouble approaching, both for damage and kills. I'm really just looking for any general tips I might be missing out on. Olimar is really fun, but getting 2 stocked and 3 stocked all the time kinda bugs me. Any help xD?

Greward

Smash Lord
Okay, so:

Lately I've been drowning in frustration with my Olimar (that my be a bit of an exaggeration in terms of wording xD) I know most of the basics, how to use each individual pikmin, grab combos, best potential moves and stuff. I pivot grab a lot, but it hasn't been helping me much. I don't know when to use F-smash clearly, although I'm pretty clear in it's use as a get away move in low damage. Same with UPsmash, + the fact that yellow and purple upsmash are amazing kill moves.

Besides that, I really find myself getting "comboed" a lot. Once I start getting hit, I'm pretty much done for, both on and off the stage. I also have a general trouble approaching, both for damage and kills. I'm really just looking for any general tips I might be missing out on. Olimar is really fun, but getting 2 stocked and 3 stocked all the time kinda bugs me. Any help xD?
olimar gets comboed easily, u can try to get away by whistling but if they got you its pretty hard to land and restart the spacing. u should try to avoid being in the air or out of stage by using ur spacing tools: grab, fsmash, tether, fair, usmash/uair.
For approaching... best option imo is to throw a purple and get a grab in because theyll probably shield the purple pikmin. Olimar is not great when approaching but approaching with shieldgrab, sidestep or pluck cancel fsmash, spaced fair... can work. olimar hasnt got great tools to approach, hes not very bad neither, but ur best option is to make them approach by tossing pikmins and stoping their lazorz/nades/whatever with them.
For recovery, if u dont have purple pikmins to throw, just save ur double jump and then recover from below with double jump + uair, it usually works wonders, u must shuffle ur recovery options to become (a little) unpredictable.
u should try to control the middle of the stage in order to not get gimped really easily
Olimar is difficult to learn how to use him, so dont worry, with some time ull get used of how to play him, he has a strange metagame and in the beginning everyone is confused xD

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Back when I was a noob when I first came to swf, I thought metagame was thinking about your game while you're actually playing. I learned it was the wrong definition, but i do think olimar is a very thought-oriented character. You really have to think about everything you are doing during gameplay to do well (pikmin colors, what moves to use, etc).

I guess how that all relates to you (and everyone really) is that you really need to think about what you're doing. Keep track of your line and build your moves according to it, or get to the pikmin you want to use for a specific move.

Also, i love purple pikmin, they are so plump and juicy... yum...

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
When you're in a situation where the opponent is hammering you up close, generally it won't matter what color you have (other than whites... meh), just usmash, fsmash or shield. If they are in the right spot then grab them.
Try to keep track of purples as much as you can, i find that they are way more important to know where they are in your line than any of the others. They are the weirdest pikmin, but i think the best. Their smashes are shorter so you need to watch out for them in spacing, their throw is an amazing approach and gtfo move, also it is very helpful for camping game, that and fsmash. Bottom line, get to know purples first and then worry about the rest of your line.

So guys, any tips on the Pit matchup?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
There's also spot dodge. True, you can't do it nine times in a row like Falco can and escape unscathed but they're ok to throw in occasionally.

As for Pit

No. Sry

Greward

Smash Lord
for pit... throw pikmanz =D u can shield and punish all his stuff lol so it shouldnt be really difficult if u outcamp him and he has to go aggro

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
I think with pit, he should be in the air and you should be on the ground (i'm not really sure though). Never jump in unless you're guaranteed a hit. He can sorta juggle you well, and if you whistle his uair or nair and don't go straight through them, you can get hit. I'm thinking making him go air born and then tethering/spaced electric fair or uair are your best bets.

I'd also like to see some more advice on pit, I find him a weird MU

Also, on that note, when are nair, and u-tilt supposed to be used. and what are some nice uses for the rest of Oli's tilts?

Also, I usually go crazy and throw out jabs when an opponent is to close, is this okay?

Jane

Smash Hero
uptilts are good usually anytime a jab would work. of course sometimes a jab will hit them and uptilt wont, but its good to mix it up when they get all up in yo face.

nair is good A LOT of the time, it can be used for both approaching and retreating. although you shouldnt approach with nair too much, the opponent can easily shieldgrab it. but nair leads to many wonderful things if you cancel it so try to learn how to use it so the last hit of it doesnt come out. also in the air, nair ***** basically everything, so whistle -> nair, or just nair if theyre really close to you.

downtilt is seriously good like ALL THE TIME. ok not all the time, but a lot of the time, when the opponent is approaching its a great mixup. its also good to get closer/further away from your opponent, it moves you weirdly so thats a good thing. however there are characters you should almost never downtilt against. peach and marth come to mind. but seriously downtilt -> upair is sex.

ftilt i never use.

but yeah, basically, the only way to learn how to use them is to actually use them in your matches. you need to always keep in mind that uptilt/dtilt/nair is an option, and try to find ways to use it. even if you have a better option, use them a lot in friendlies and you will learn how to use them

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Okay so when I get knocked out of the stage and have to DI back (assuming I'm going in diagonally towards either side), I save my double jump and try to fall slowly towards the stage. What am I suppose to do generally? I go in and try to land on the stage by saving my double jump and combining that with a tether. If it looks to dangerous I go for the edge.

On that note, should I always whistle when I do my jump? Fino those this a lot but I don't know if it has any purpose.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Okay so when I get knocked out of the stage and have to DI back (assuming I'm going in diagonally towards either side), I save my double jump and try to fall slowly towards the stage. What am I suppose to do generally? I go in and try to land on the stage by saving my double jump and combining that with a tether. If it looks to dangerous I go for the edge.

On that note, should I always whistle when I do my jump? Fino those this a lot but I don't know if it has any purpose.
Generally you're supposed to be random, as oxymoronic as that sounds. (Random: why isn't oxymoronic a word?) There is no safest way back to the stage, as Olimar's options for doing so aren't fantastic. Due to this, the only way to keep your recovery effect is by mixing it up constantly. Sometimes use your second jump like you're going for the stage then DI back to grab the ledge. Sometimes FF then second jump with a rising Uair. Sometimes use your tether hop to land on a platform. Rich seems to be pretty partial to FF Whistle > Nair and it usually helps him get back whenever I see him do it. Always think about what your opponent is expecting you to do and then do something different.

And yes, whistling when you jump is a good habit to have built in. It allows you to whistle without ff and, more importantly, it means you can't be immediately knocked out of your second jump.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Soooo... are the rumors true? Did Logic really get JV 4 stocked by Atomsk? xP too good haha.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Vocal's got this **** covered.
I do what I can ^_^ On a related note, I might be able to start doing a lot more; apparently there's a guy who live IN MY BUILDING that plays smash all the time and he messaged me saying we should start playing. Man, if I get to actually play this game again rather than just watching and talking about it all the time I just might **** my pants lol

Top Bottom