• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
whats boost pivot grabbing? is that when like a stutter step only with a grab instead of an fsmash? if so then i do that all the time lol.
Boost Pivot Grabbing is to Pivot Grabbing what DACUS is to Hyphen Smash. Basically, it's a pivot grab that covers a larger amount of space. You'd have to ask someone else for the specific inputs, and I've never taken the time to implement it into my game.

Also, sup Fino :p

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
Speaking of Shutter Step, I realized I was doing it wrong. I was pushing the buttons simultaneously, netting me like a single pixel in distance. I figured out what I did wrong, and can now Shutter Step adequately. Now to get it ingrained into a normal battle sense.

Dnyce

Smash Master
whats boost pivot grabbing? is that when like a stutter step only with a grab instead of an fsmash? if so then i do that all the time lol.
Boost pivot grabbing is like performing a DACUS, but with pivot grab instead of upsmash. The input goes

(1) Dash
(2) Dash attack
and almost immediately after
(3) Slam the opposite direction + Grab

For Olimar's like Hilt and I (and I'm sure many others) who have Y (or X) set to grab, it's as simple as dashing, and rolling your finger from A-Y while moving the control stick in the opposite direction (incredibly easy to do with this button mapping). The distance is a little, but enough to make a difference in many situations. I HIGHLY recommend learning it. Once you know how to boost pivot grab, it's almost pointless to pivot grab. Why would you want a shorter grab range? lol

Geddan

Smash Ace
there are many ways to boost pivot grab

i tried the y-grab and was meh.

i just pretend i'm doing a dacus except instead of pressing up and z i press the opposite direction and z.

it's just a pivot grab with the added dash attack input in-between.

Jane

Smash Hero
basically, just pivot grab with R+A instead of whatever your grab button is. USUALLY, youll boost pivot grab. you have to get the timing down so you always BPG, but even without trying, like just spamming pivot grabs with R+A, youll see that it does indeed work

Geddan

Smash Ace
i don't believe you can buffer a boost pivot grab in the same sense as a bdacus since a bdacus is actually an exploit that i don't think could be applicable to a pivot grab.

**** idk. lol

i'll be the first to admit that you should take anything i say with a whole canister full of salt.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Pretty sure we're all from different regions though. I think i'm the only person that plays Falco and Olimar here, although since last MLG I wouldn't be surprised at someone pathetically thinking the can use Olimar to beat MK just by watching a couple of videos.

Dnyce

Smash Master
basically, just pivot grab with R+A instead of whatever your grab button is. USUALLY, youll boost pivot grab. you have to get the timing down so you always BPG, but even without trying, like just spamming pivot grabs with R+A, youll see that it does indeed work
Umm... How does that even work? If you're not making a grab input, you shouldn't be grabbing. R+A is a shield grab, and you can't pivot shield grab (you can drop shield (-7 frames) and turn around grab), much less boost pivot grab. I know you can cancel dash with a shield (losing momentum, i.e definitely not a boost grab), and cancel shield with grab, but the turning around part would require a shield drop. Sounds like you're just doing a turn around standing grab... unless there's some mechanics of the game I'm oblivious to, lol. In which case... a normal pivot grab is better... and the boost grab is a LOT better.

Jane

Smash Hero
lol. try it. i had my doubts too but after arguing with a friend for a long time, testing it with multiple characters, it DOES work. i can prove it to you, but just try it yourself first

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Umm... How does that even work? If you're not making a grab input, you shouldn't be grabbing. R+A is a shield grab, and you can't pivot shield grab (you can drop shield (-7 frames) and turn around grab), much less boost pivot grab. I know you can cancel dash with a shield (losing momentum, i.e definitely not a boost grab), and cancel shield with grab, but the turning around part would require a shield drop. Sounds like you're just doing a turn around standing grab... unless there's some mechanics of the game I'm oblivious to, lol. In which case... a normal pivot grab is better... and the boost grab is a LOT better.
No, it works. Before I learned the joys of a grab button, I used to pivot grab with R+A; you just have to do it very quickly, basically at the same time. Idk if it's a boost pivot grab, but it's definitely possible

Jane

Smash Hero
1. choose falco

2. start doing pivot grabs with normal grab button, but make sure you dont run too much, like run a LITTLE bit and quickly pivot grab.

you should notice that falco doesnt move at all, hell just stop, turn and grab.

3. now do the same thing, but with R+A (or, L+A, whatever). make sure to not run very much.

you should now notice that falco gets a major boost. theres only one explanation- boost pivot grab.

another test if you still dont believe me is attempting to boost pivot grab your "normal" way with meta knight. MK doesnt get very much boost, if any at all, but usually if you do the boost pivot grab correctly, youll hear him make a noise, which he doesnt do if you pivot grab normally.

now try to to pivot grab with R+A, you should hear that noise.

now, like i said before, it wont come out EVERY time, you have to get the timing down. but it does work.

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
Louie, is the sole reason for Pikmin 2. He crashed an entire freight of PikPik brand Carrots, and poor Olimar is forced back to the Distant Planet to gather up enough cash to pay of your companies debt, with the aide of your Pikmin friends. Since it's his fault, Louie attends, and I think ends up dying, I never finished the game.

Also, I STILL can't SHDPT >.> Can someone tell me the button imputs, as well as a video example >.>

Jane

Smash Hero
learning how to shdpt is about as important as learning how to shdl with fox in melee.

not important at all.

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Don't be afraid to be a little aggressive. As cliche as it sounds, sometimes your best defense is a relatively smart offense. Olimars keep away game can be quite effective if you mix it up effectively. Don't be afraid to throw an fsmash an Ike whenever he tries to rush you, just make sure you've spaced it enough for him to not be able to hit you.

Jane

Smash Hero
well if an ike rushes you, even if you throw out an fsmash to counter, its still defense. just because you use a move that hurts him doesnt mean youre going on the offensive. its still camping (usually)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
learning how to shdpt is about as important as learning how to shdl with fox in melee.

not important at all.
False.

It's a fantastic bait. For example:

1) Play against Fox
2) SHDPT
3) Empty SH, FF backwards away from Fox
4) Fsmash the idiot that just ran at you.

Works 90% of the time, at least against low-mid level Foxes.

It's an important maneuver to learn. It is to be used occasionally, though not predictably.

As far as the inputs, it's just SH and SideBing twice. Over time I've gotten muscle memory so that I DI backwards after the first throw, throw forward again, then DI backwards again so Olimar ends up basically where he started. Just takes practice.

Jane

Smash Hero
a normal short hopped pikmin toss would have worked just as well in that situation? i mean, i guess a double pikmin toss would be better than a single pikmin toss. but imo its not THAT important. i just feel sabeta was giving too much concern to learning to do it as if it was something pivotal like learning how to pivot grab (puns all dai) or learning how to upsmash oos

example given:
Well, I'm pretty bad at camping >.> I STILL can't SHDPT. >.> I'll go there.

Sabeta

Smash Cadet
Well, I know how to pivot grab, and I think I learned how to Boost Pivot Grab (Can't really tell though); however, I don't use it enough in battle yet. I should practice it against some level 9s.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
a normal short hopped pikmin toss would have worked just as well in that situation? i mean, i guess a double pikmin toss would be better than a single pikmin toss. but imo its not THAT important. i just feel sabeta was giving too much concern to learning to do it as if it was something pivotal like learning how to pivot grab (puns all dai) or learning how to upsmash oos

example given:
I agree it's not as essential as usoos, but it's still a maneuver that shouldn't be ignored :)
Lol vocal i never thought of doing this xD
that's epic.
"OH LOOKSIES I'M GONNA SHOOT LAZAHS ACHUU UNTIL YU GET PREDICTABLE THEN RUN AT YOU HERP DERP"

"Ok."

*jump*

*FF*

*Grab*

*profit*

:yeahboi:
Well, I know how to pivot grab, and I think I learned how to Boost Pivot Grab (Can't really tell though); however, I don't use it enough in battle yet. I should practice it against some level 9s.
No, don't practice against Lv9s, they cultivate bad habits. Practice on Lv3s, they're like moving sandbags, the perfect target for technical practice.

Top Bottom