• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
When Snake uses his recovery, if you grab him during it with any character, and just let him break free from the grab, he won't be able to use his UpB again. He'll still be able to blow himself up with his C4, giving him back his UpB, though. Olimar, however, is either unable to do this (because Pikmin's grab animation travels along the ground) or it's extremely difficult (because the Snake has to hug the ledge on his way up, which he won't do). So don't worry about it with Olimar.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Ok...

What is Cypher Grabbing?
Grabbing Snake out of his Cypher so that he falls? I'm pretty sure Oli can't do this one because of the way pikmin grabs work. And besides, if he's close enough to grab you could spike him anyways :D

Hilt, it's like your goal in life is to ninja me to death :laugh:

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Alright, time for yet another question from a noob like me.

When playing with Olimar, is it best to fight from the air or do you stay grounded most of the time?

And now that I bring that up, I suppose you're supposed to pelt Pikmins like hell right?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Alright, time for yet another question from a noob like me.

When playing with Olimar, is it best to fight from the air or do you stay grounded most of the time?

And now that I bring that up, I suppose you're supposed to pelt Pikmins like hell right?
*wonders if Hilt will ninja me again*

As for the air/ground part, it changes a lot. Against Snake, for instance, you're gonna want to remain grounded unless you're SH throwing pikmin or he's above you, whereas against Peach you'll find yourself using more fairs (though Usmash oos is a great option too). Oli is strongest on the ground, but sometimes he has to take it to the air as well.

So both ^_^

And pikmin, hmm, h/o just a sec...

SH pikmin toss is a common Olimar tactic that is used at mid-range. Its uses vary from matchup to matchup; against DDD, for instance, it is the main damage racking tool, where as against other characters (Fox comes to mind, that may just be me though) it is best used to elicit an approach, which you can then punish.

Like I mentioned, it is a mid-range tactic. Long-range places you too far away for the pikmin to connect while short-range places you close enough to have your SH punished. There are also certain characters against which SH pikmin toss is almost always a terrible idea; Samus, for instance, can easily Zair you once you leave the ground, and Metaknight can dash in for a punish nearly on reaction alone. For these characters, it is usually best to remain grounded and throw pikmin from there. (Note that pikmin toss can also vary in its uses here as well - it would be a damage racking tool against Samus whereas it is only a tool to force an approach against Meta Knight.)

SH purple pikmin toss can also aid in low percentage grab followups.
There ya go :)

jamlosingthegame

Smash Lord
NNID
jamlosingthegame
Hey Olimar boards. I plan on making Olimar my secondary. Any general tips I should know/learn about? If there are links to threads or posts that could help me, posting them would be nice. Thanks in advance.

/laziness to look up stuff for myself

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
if you pick up olimar u should have him as your main. There is so much to know with olimar that itd be almost pointless to have him as a secondary.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey Olimar boards. I plan on making Olimar my secondary. Any general tips I should know/learn about? If there are links to threads or posts that could help me, posting them would be nice. Thanks in advance.

/laziness to look up stuff for myself
T_T

There's a guide called Deflowered stickied at the top of the Olimar Boards; starting with the guide is always a good idea. From there, browse through the other stickies at your leisure.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Fino!

With...a male anime character as his avatar?

What have you done with the loli lover T_T
Hanasakeru Seishounen is a reverse harem. Didn't have too many options. I usually have an avi from whatever I'm watching at the time.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I hit a mk when he was charging an fsmash once with dtilt and it killed him off the top at like 170% or somethin

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I hit a mk when he was charging an fsmash once with dtilt and it killed him off the top at like 170% or somethin
LOL

Reminds me of when Rich got that surprise kill with a non-sweetspot dair (except that one was at a much lower percent)

But come on - what's the REAL kill move in Nolimar dittos?

YOU know :)

Dnyce

Smash Master
LOL

Reminds me of when Rich got that surprise kill with a non-sweetspot dair (except that one was at a much lower percent)

But come on - what's the REAL kill move in Nolimar dittos?

YOU know :)
Pluck-canceled DACUS ;o

Top Bottom