• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
What is DACUS?
Have you ever seen Snake do a sliding Usmash aka Mortar Slide? That's a DACUS.

It stands for Dash Attack Canceled Up Smash. What happens is...well, you cancel your dash attack into an up smash. IIRC, it's done by running, hitting c-stick down to start the dash attack, and then hitting up on the control stick and the grab button at the same time to cancel it into an up smash. The timing for it and the distance crossed varies from character to character. And added benefit is that characters can pick up items as they would have during a dash attack.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No we don't. Shield stun is affected by both the color of the Pikmin, and how stale the move is, so we (I) haven't taken the time to test it yet, because, considering I don't know the formula it uses or whatever, it's a hassle to figure out for Olimar.

But it's important, especially for Up Smash, so I may do it. If I get back to testing things, it's at the top of my priority list. Most other things I don't care about anymore.

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
If someone is ledge guarding Olimar, and you KNOW you cant fair him off or get on the ledge just by moving, should you whistle until a Purple is ahead of the line, then side throw him and hit the guy off the ledge?

(Sorry if this was poorly worded, I'm in a rush.)

Jane

Smash Hero
yes you should. hitting your opponent with a purple toss is usually the safest option if theyre trying to hassle you when recovering. but never count out your other options such as attempting to land back on the stage if youre recovering high, or double jump to fair/upair if youre recovering low. especially because having a purple ready, and being at the correct trajectory happens less than we would hope.

so yes, purple toss is amazing when recovering, but you have to utilize all your options.

Blissard

Smash Lord
if you're under a falling character, and you're not sure wheter or not they'll airdodge, is it better to Nair or Uair.

Also, what moves should Oli use for punishing? I usually Dsmash or Usmash if close enough...and what if, say you're fighting someone with a rather disjointed hitbox (more namely swordsman) and Dsmash is out of range, should I Fsmash, (pivot) grab, or just retreat?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
If someone is ledge guarding Olimar, and you KNOW you cant fair him off or get on the ledge just by moving, should you whistle until a Purple is ahead of the line, then side throw him and hit the guy off the ledge?

(Sorry if this was poorly worded, I'm in a rush.)
Sure, that's an option. You can also pretend to try to hit them with a uair through the stage while really using uair to cycle to a purple.
if you're under a falling character, and you're not sure wheter or not they'll airdodge, is it better to Nair or Uair.

Also, what moves should Oli use for punishing? I usually Dsmash or Usmash if close enough...and what if, say you're fighting someone with a rather disjointed hitbox (more namely swordsman) and Dsmash is out of range, should I Fsmash, (pivot) grab, or just retreat?
Against sworded characters (especially Ike, for the love of God, Ike), you'll most often want to pivot grab, as there's a chance they might slice through any smashes. For other people, pivot grab is still a good idea - it's nearly always safe and Oli's throws rock :) And if someone's falling to the ground helpless, if you can get the spacing right, try to line up a double sweet-spotted Dsmash - you'll **** from how satisfying it is :D

Be careful about punishing with Usmash - when it comes time to kill and your Usmash is stale from punishing, you're gonna find your opponents living much longer than they should.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Up Air and Neutral Air are both good for juggling an opponent that may air dodge. Up Air is good if there's space and you're both not near the ground, because Up Air doesn't have much lag, so you can Neutral Air afterwards if they air dodge it, or throw out another attack if they move away from you. Neutral Air if you want to wait for them to start the air dodge and them hit them afterwards. But in reality, both are good for either situation, and are interchangeable. You'll have to mess around with them yourself for awhile.

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
Does Olimar's FSmash have a hitbox until the pikmin lands on the ground? (As in, if you fsmash, and a pikmin goes off of the stage, and keeps falling, does he have a hit box while falling? (since he's still spinning like he does in his fsmash.))

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The forward smash hitbox lasts from frame 11 to 47. It doesn't last forever, but it usually lasts until it hits the ground. If you forward smash off a platform, or the ledge, though, it'll last part of the way down, but not the whole way.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No, after a certain amount of time (I don't remember exactly what frame) it starts the sour spot, and keeps that hitbox for the rest of the attack's duration.

Jane

Smash Hero
its actually really good. sporadically alternating between charged and quick fsmashes to edgeguard will almost always guarantee you some damage (assuming they didnt quickly sweetspot the ledge or somesuch)

TheOriginalSmasher

Smash Ace
any specific color u should try and use to do edge guard with fsmash? I was thinking either Red or Purple?

Thanks everyone for answering my questions, I really wanna get good with Olimar. Pikachu is just getting a tad bit old... I've been playing him since 64 now. :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Red and Yellow are the best for it, then blue. Then purple and then white.

Also it's not a problem :) Questions are great.

Jane

Smash Hero
purple is usually bad because you want to space yourself as far from the ledge as possible, so purples almost always come short. if they DID hit, youre just putting yourself in unnecessary danger lol.

basically red, yellows, and blues are optimal

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, and now that I think about it, whites aren't that bad either because they'll generally just steal the opponent's second jump if they used it, which is always a benefit.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Solimar and nolimar are lone olimars...lolimars and etc are ******** people that post random one-worded crap on Olimar Q&A threads just to get +1's.

Oh and Hilt, whenever the next time you check this thread. can I be your pupil? I saw that you were the Oli mentor, and idk if my message got through, as I think someone else requested you as mentor right before I did.

Top Bottom