• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Like you have to, Vocal XD

Speaking of which, tourney I'm going to this weekend has Pictochat, Luigi's Mansion, and Distant Planet all legal. I don't think it's possible for me to lose on my CP.

Edit: AND JAPES OMGGGGGGGGG

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Like you have to, Vocal XD

Speaking of which, tourney I'm going to this weekend has Pictochat, Luigi's Mansion, and Distant Planet all legal. I don't think it's possible for me to lose on my CP.

Edit: AND JAPES OMGGGGGGGGG
Your c-stick could break.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Two questions:

How many frames does a JC Upsmash OOS cut down compared to a shieldropped fsmash?

Can JC upsmashes cut down frames on Power shields?

Noa.

Smash Master
7 frames. JC Usmash OoS skips the lag from a shield drop, which is 7 frames.

I'm pretty sure that it can cut down lagy from power shields, but it's only like 2 frames or so I can'r recall of the top of my head.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I don't know the answer to your second question, but I can test it when I'm feel like turning Brawl on again, lol.

As for the first question, it depends on how fast you do the JC.

Normally, dropping a shield takes 7 frames. For a JC Usmash, first the jump interrupts the shield on Frame 1. During this frame you can't do anything. On Frame 2 through Frame 5, however, you can input the up smash. And Up Smash comes out in 8 frames.

So:

Up Smash after Shield Drop:
15 (7+8)

Up Smash out of Shield:
9 - 12 (X* + 8)

*X = 1 - 4

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Hellu Olimar Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Olimar fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Olimar abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Olimar's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hellu Olimar Boards, you might be seeing me a lot here in the next little while asking questions about your character and how they perform on a certain stage.
Character boards seem to cycle through incomplete MU threads to new ones in hope to update them and finally complete them. This is the R.O.B. Boards attempt at completing a sufficient stage-discussion thread and I'm going to try my best to get accurate and thorough information, but I'll need your help. This will be the only question with an introductory. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that if you guys need info on anything for R.O.B. don't hesitate asking. ^_^

Anywho!

Q: How does Olimar fair off on Delfino Plaza in general and against R.O.B.. Why is it good or bad? What can Olimar abuse and what might possibly annoy you that R.O.B. can do on this stage? On a scale of 1 - 10, what do you see Olimar's chances of doing well on this stage against R.O.B. 1 being the worst for you 10 being the best.

thanks guys =]
<beep3
Olimar on Delfino = ****

Never take us here.

I'll answer more later

Greward

Smash Lord
rob never should take us to delfino (even though i dont like delfino...)
he cant gimp us there as easy as in the other stages so why should he pick it, and low ceilings doesnt help him too much neither
8-9/10 imo

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Anywho!

thanks guys =]
<beep3
Alright, I can go a little more in depth now. Delfino is one of Olimar's best stages; I can't think of anyone in the game that would benefit from taking him there except another Olimar (and maybe MK). For starters, he gets a increase in percentage of purples pulled, so you're going to get hit with a lot more **** than usual. Next, as Greward mentioned, it becomes much harder to gimp us here. Not only will the stage sometimes transform, rise beneath us, and save us from certain doom, but several areas also have water, which can be used in a different way but it still take away the traditional gimp option. Then there are the several walkoffs that we can abuse; once mistep into a pivot grab and you could very well lose a stock.

You also lose your ledgegame on many of the transformations.

Really the only part that's bad for Oli is the area where there are three stone pillars surrounded by water, but even that can be worked around. Yea, never take Olimar here. If Olimar ordinarily has a 5 out of ten chance of doing well against ROB, I'd give him a 7 at least on this stage

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah in that part of the section you just need to rely on Oli's airgame, which isn't too bad. And like Jane said the ceiling is RIGHT there.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Rob ***** us, any stage you pick Rob will win; however, Rob will have a more difficult time ****** Olimar on delfino. It's like trying to actually **** someone, lots of struggle and screaming will occur, but in the end it's a giant robot against a balding ******, there's no way Olimar can escape the forceful Rob putting his lubricant and oil into Olimar's 4th hole.

Wait...

._.

nvrm

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Thanks vocal, jane and drac<3
come here, troll -pets fino-
<3 you too.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Ive been having trouble with my friends DK, and I dont know why. Can I get some tips on how to combat DK with Olimar?
Zori's right, but it's not very helpful if you don't know what to expect ^_^

1) Camp hard. Zori hit this one right on the nose: pikmin **** DK HARD. He has a tough time getting the off, but they also know that they need to get them off or else they end up with 100%+ damage for no reason. This means that you can throw pikmin, watch his habits for removing pikmin, throw more pikmin, and punish his habit.

2) Watch out for bair. It's got good range and DK loves to approach with it. I personally like to stuff it (aka preemptively strike) with tether, but that's just cuz I love tether personally :chuckle: You could try tether, fair, uair, or just pivot grab him when he tries it; try them out and see what works best for you against him.

3) A fully charged Donkey Punch has super armor. I'm not sure if you already knew this or not, but if the punch is fully charged then DK has super armor during certain frames just like whistle gives to Oli (I don't know the specific frames, but basically anything after startup has them). This means that regardless of what attack you throw out, that punch is going to land. If you see he gets a full punch, play carefully and try to bait it out of him (meaning do stuff to try to get him to waste it on your shield or, even better, whiffed entirely).

4) Be cautious when playing DK on Yoshi's Island, Pictochat, and Pokemon Stadium 1. These stages have slight angles near the ledges (Pokemon Stadium 1 only has the angle during the grass transformation). Idk if your friend knows this trick, but if DK starts his UpB on that angle, the move gains super armor for one hit, making it dangerous if you don't know how to get around it. I think that you may be able to dash attack, dtilt, or ftilt the move to clank with it/stop it (I know Dtilt works on Sonic's invincibility using the same trick), but I'm unsure of the frame advantage you'd have afterwards aka if Olimar can act faster than DK can. Hilt?

5) Do you know your low percentage grab shenanigans? DK is a heavy character, so he's a great one to toss around and finish with a uair (and maybe tether after that if he's positioned right).

6) DKs love to ground slap to get Oli into the air. Watch out for this, space accordingly, and throw one or two pikmin on him when he tries it (or go for a fair/something else if he's at kill percents or some other situation warrants it). Another common tactic is for DK to dtilt you, which oftentimes trips, and then immediately follow up with a ground slap, so watch out for that as well.

7) Question for everyone else: DK bair - is it usoosable? I thought about putting that here but I'm not sure if DK's hurtbox would still be extended enough when spaced correctly.

I'm open to being corrected on any of these things (Hilt, Fino, I'm looking at you two :)) but this is just what has worked for me; maybe my DKs aren't that great ^_^

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Regarding the Delfino question, like Vocal said, Delfino gives us a lot of phases that prevent rob from gimping us, or gives us an area to run to. The Pillar phase isn't that bad, the Olimar just has to make sure he isn't near the rob. If they're on two different pillars, the rob has a problem getting in through the camp and Olimar's tools to keep him out. But when the rob gets in, it's a problem for Olimar on the Pillars. Most of the phases allow Olimar's camp game to dominate Rob, in a way. It's definitely not a good choice for Rob to fight Olimar on this stage. It's my main counterpicks against Rob but you know that XD I can't think of any phase that helps Rob more than it does Olimar, other than the fact that you can shark under the transportation platform and plank while shooting lasers through the transparent floor, but that also gives us time to pluck purples from the stage, since that phase gives us more. All in all, it's a bad choice for you to fight here, and I would consider banning it if the Olimar knows what he's doing.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Nope, I'm not sure. I don't know how long the hitbox stays out for, and if the DK spaces it well, I'm assuming it wouldn't connect.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Sharking is when a character hangs out under the stage and attacks the opponent through the bottom. This is usually done by Meta Knight, and on stages that have transparent floors, like Delfino or Brinstar.

Planking is taking advantage of the invincibility frames on the ledge and just hanging out at the ledge constantly. This is usually done to run out the timer, when the player has a stock or percent lead.

Teching is when you hit L or R after being hit by an attack, right before you hit a floor, wall, or ceiling. Also known as Ukemi.

Purples are considered the best by most people, with Yellows being a close second. Some people have different opinions, though. You have to know when each of the Pikmin have their best uses, however.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
What is Sharking, Planking and teching?

And which Pikmin is the best one?
Sharking: The act of performing an aerial move through the bottom of stages with rise-through bases (Delfino, Brinstar, Halberd, etc.). It is most commonly associated with Meta Knight; his high number of mid-air jumps and high number of aerial options in general make it a strong tactic for him.

Planking: The act of being gay.

....Ok, really it's when someone abuses the ledge and ledge invincibility to make it hard for their opponent to reach them, usually by dropping off the ledge, performing an aerial or a few, regrabbing the ledge, and repeating. This is also commonly associated with MK, who is notorius for using his Uair to plank and stall once he gains a lead (especially stock); other characters like G&W and Pit can plank as well, but MK is by far the best planker in the game.

As for the pikmin, go read the guide (Deflowered); it break down each pikmin and will tell you everything you need to know at this stage of development

Hilt doin that ninja thang

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So I suppose that Pitt is also another character that can shark?

And in that case now that I remember, I get my projectiles aka Pikmin destroyed by Pitt constantly. I know that Pitt is at a disadvantage against Olimar, but how exactly do you counter a Pitt?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Pit, yeah. GW sometimes but not for as long at a time. Rob as well, Kirby and Jigglypuff I guess..? Mostly just MK and I guess Pit.

As for the Pit matchup, what is he doing that's giving you problems?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well, he does **** like use his Side B and that Down B to deflect the Pikmin I throw at him everytime I try to pelt him with them... I'd like some help on what I can do in those situations...

Jane

Smash Hero
just throw less pikmin, or get slowly closer to him as you throw them, and if he just keeps using a deflection move, eventually youll be close enough to punish with grab or fsmash

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
You could also try baiting the Angel Ring/Mirror Shield with an empty short hop and fast fall into a grab (at least I think it's worth a shot, haven't played many Pits lately)

And you can definitely grab Pit through Side B (Angel Ring)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The only way a Pikmin can die while it's being used for a grab is if it drowns. Fsmash goes through Angel Ring, too.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I think all fsmashes but Whites. Jane, it depends on whether the Pit already has the Angel Ring out. If he has it out for a moment first, and isn't moving anymore, then fsmash beats it. But if he's still coming at you, I think Angel Ring can win.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
So Pikmin are invincible when doing the Fsmash and when grabbing?

Also, let's say Pitt starts using those arrows like hell. Would throwing a Pikmin at it cancel out the arrow?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No, Pikmin are only invincible during Grab, Tether, or when they're following you. Fsmash just goes through Angel Ring. It isn't invincible.

Top Bottom