• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
have any good olimar player ever teamed with pikachu, wario or diddy? i want to know if theyre a good setup, because i suck at teams xD

btw we should do a teams post
They seem to be all the rage lately. I'm not a doubles guy, so I don't have much input.

Dnyce

Smash Master
have any good olimar player ever teamed with pikachu, wario or diddy? i want to know if theyre a good setup, because i suck at teams xD

btw we should do a teams post
Richbrown teamed with a good pikachu from Nevada awhile ago. You should ask him. Diddy sounds like an awful teammate, wario could be good though. Don't take my word for teams though, I suck at teams <.< lol.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Richbrown teamed with a good pikachu from Nevada awhile ago. You should ask him. Diddy sounds like an awful teammate, wario could be good though. Don't take my word for teams though, I suck at teams <.< lol.
I just saw the results from a Europe tourney and all three top teams had a Diddy partner. Idk what that says about Diddy with Olimar, but it could be promising

Dnyce

Smash Master
I just saw the results from a Europe tourney and all three top teams had a Diddy partner. Idk what that says about Diddy with Olimar, but it could be promising
Two characters who rely on solid stage control teaming? I mean, I could see the team countering some characters, but overall I don't think it would do well. Who were the other characters the diddy team'd with?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Two characters who rely on solid stage control teaming? I mean, I could see the team countering some characters, but overall I don't think it would do well. Who were the other characters the diddy team'd with?
Quiksilver got 3rd in a low tier tourney last weekend. I sadly only know the top 3 since germans don't post results (germans suck).

Low tiers:
1st = Mr-R :link2:
2nd = Luigi Player :ness2:
3rd = Quiksilver :samus2:

Teams:
1st = Koukin + Calzorz :diddy: + :snake:
2nd = Mr-R + iStudying :marth: + :diddy:
3rd = Staco + Luigi Player :metaknight: + :diddy:

Singles:
1st = Mr-R :marth:
2nd = Luigi Player :diddy:
3rd = Staco :metaknight:
That's the quote

Noa.

Smash Master
We have done some doubles threads in the past Greward, so you could look in them for some advice.

I can't give you any since I'm also not a team guy lol.

Noa.

Smash Master
For the most part. I think very few people can work with an Olimar in doubles, cause he's really strange to team with. He can stock tank really well even though he's light and has a bad recovery, especially in doubles. He racks damage quickly but also kills easily. Since his smashes and grab have so much range the teammate also has to be more mindful of spacing then usual.

That's what I think anyway lol.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
What button do you use for Jump? C? You just have to tilt your shield up, hit the jump button, and hit A within the next four frames.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
This is a hard one, haha. Your best option is probably Lylat Cruise. Delfino is another good option, as is Halberd. Rainbow Cruise if you're feeling ballsy. With Delfino your'e going to have to focus on getting and keeping stage/banana control for the entire game.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
This is a hard one, haha. Your best option is probably Lylat Cruise. Delfino is another good option, as is Halberd. Rainbow Cruise if you're feeling ballsy. With Delfino your'e going to have to focus on getting and keeping stage/banana control for the entire game.
hmm alright thanx hilt <3 i took billy to lylat and delfino and lost both times :/ o well il lay better next time. Anyway thanx alot :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Why not delfino? Also battlefield isn't the greatest of choices. Battlefield is still good for Diddy. I'd much rather Delfino than Battlefield.

Greward

Smash Lord
yoshis is ok but i prefer going to halberd than yoshis. actually i dont think of yoshis being a bad stage for diddy as its said, and in the olimar matchup they prefer small stages than large ones.

delfino may not be a good stage for diddy but i think its worse for olimar. diddys throws can get us outside of the stage easily and if theres water we gotta recover high and its really easy for diddy to gimp us then. i wont writte a long summary about it but its not a good olimar stage, i dont even see any matchup were we should cp delfino. we arent getting a lot of horizontal kills and the water stages can become hell. we are good on the large stages were we cant get gimped but they dont have too much platforms and it helps diddy too. so we dont get a real advantage in any transformation, but diddy do. also theres the ghost pikmin bug lol

battlefield is good for diddy, and all the players are good on BF. its just that i feel more comfortable playing on BF than on most stages, but this is probly personal.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
yoshis is ok but i prefer going to halberd than yoshis. actually i dont think of yoshis being a bad stage for diddy as its said, and in the olimar matchup they prefer small stages than large ones.

delfino may not be a good stage for diddy but i think its worse for olimar. diddys throws can get us outside of the stage easily and if theres water we gotta recover high and its really easy for diddy to gimp us then. i wont writte a long summary about it but its not a good olimar stage, i dont even see any matchup were we should cp delfino. we arent getting a lot of horizontal kills and the water stages can become hell. we are good on the large stages were we cant get gimped but they dont have too much platforms and it helps diddy too. so we dont get a real advantage in any transformation, but diddy do. also theres the ghost pikmin bug lol

battlefield is good for diddy, and all the players are good on BF. its just that i feel more comfortable playing on BF than on most stages, but this is probly personal.
You trollin on that whole Delfino section :laugh: Sure, water isn't great, but +Purples is awesome, and really the only area I have an issue with the the three pillars over water area. The main stage is fine for Oli, and the walkoffs at several stops can lead to easy kills

Dnyce

Smash Master
I don't even see any match-up were we should counter pick Delfino.
:( I remember when Greward was cool. lol.

Lower ceiling on some transformations.

Some areas are wide open while others are closed it with platforms.

Floating part has massive amount of purple pikmin, other transformations also give good Pikmin (differing pikmin on certain parts... which allows you to mix-up easier and then go back to the purple brigade when the floating part comes back).

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Delfino is an incredible Olimar stage. Everything Fino mentioned, plus the fact that Olimar is great at stage control and can take full advantage of it with the layout of most of the sections Delfino gives us. Especially slants. The water saves us, it doesn't force us to recover high. And ghost pikmin happens on every stage, bro. Not just Delfino. It's not more common on Delfino, either. It's just that people make the mistake and hold onto the ledge when it's transitioning, because they don't know any better. Most of the sections, other than the main platform, it's hard to gimp Olimar on this stage.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Doesn't Olimar pull more Purple Pikmin on the platforms on Delfino as well?

Greward

Smash Lord
ghost pikmin only happened to me on delfino lol and not only once

i know its difficult to gimp olimar in this stage, and the walk-off transformations are great. the water is a problem, it can sometimes save us to get back to the stage, but most of the times we would get back anyways and we have got to go to the water to evade getting hit in the air all the time. when we go to the water, we lose most of our pikmins if not all of them and we still have to get back to the stage from high.
the stage overall hasnt got many platforms to work with and i really need platforms to play with olimar, in addition diddy's grab is a pain when ur trying to land and if there arent any platforms it becomes really troublesome. no platforms also mean he can do his banana tricks all the time.
the main stage is small and usually has no reliable platforms when ur grounded, i dont think they fit with what we are looking for.
low ceiling is great though and we can get some kills at low % both from up or horizontal
olimar's stage control works wonderfully here but at the same time if we get off the ground getting back to it its more difficult than in the other stages.
i dont think which matchups delfino should be recommended. maybe falco or snake?

in any case, im really weirdo when talking about stages. imo every player has got his favourite stages depending in his playstile so i would just pick the stages i feel comfortable on and not the ones that are supposed to be the best.

uhhh im thinking that the stages i hate the most are FD, SV, castle siege and delfino. seems that i cant play without platforms lol. and i know castle is supposed to be godlike for olimar.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
ghost pikmin only happened to me on delfino lol and not only once

i know its difficult to gimp olimar in this stage, and the walk-off transformations are great. the water is a problem, it can sometimes save us to get back to the stage, but most of the times we would get back anyways and we have got to go to the water to evade getting hit in the air all the time. when we go to the water, we lose most of our pikmins if not all of them and we still have to get back to the stage from high.
the stage overall hasnt got many platforms to work with and i really need platforms to play with olimar, in addition diddy's grab is a pain when ur trying to land and if there arent any platforms it becomes really troublesome. no platforms also mean he can do his banana tricks all the time.
the main stage is small and usually has no reliable platforms when ur grounded, i dont think they fit with what we are looking for.
low ceiling is great though and we can get some kills at low % both from up or horizontal
olimar's stage control works wonderfully here but at the same time if we get off the ground getting back to it its more difficult than in the other stages.
i dont think which matchups delfino should be recommended. maybe falco or snake?

in any case, im really weirdo when talking about stages. imo every player has got his favourite stages depending in his playstile so i would just pick the stages i feel comfortable on and not the ones that are supposed to be the best.

uhhh im thinking that the stages i hate the most are FD, SV, castle siege and delfino. seems that i cant play without platforms lol. and i know castle is supposed to be godlike for olimar.
tl;dr Greward hates good stage.

;)

Greward

Smash Lord
tl;dr should be: i think all the olimar players should counterpick lylat cruise because it rulz and has got starwolf's music

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
lol kk greward. I agree that it's not the best stage to take Diddy, but when you said it wasn't a good Olimar stage we were just like D: and .-. at the same time :p But I agree that most stages are good for Olimar for various reasons, so different people have different opinions, and some don't learn certain stages as much as they should (I don't know castle siege as well as I should, and I just recently started working on Battlefield lol).

But yeah! My #1 CPs for Falco and Snake are Delfino. I also take Falco to Smashville and I also take Snake to Pictochat and Battlefield. And in all honesty, you can take a good majority of the cast there and get by.

Noa.

Smash Master
We all have different opinions on stages, cause we play Oli differently lol.

Whoever asked cps for Diddy, just take all the suggestions and see which ones work for YOU.

In my experience, on the first match I avoid yoshi's, fd, and sv. I prefer lylat and bf against Diddy. As for counterpicks I like to counterpick halberd and if they ban that I would probably go to either pictochat or castle siege since those are my two best counterpicks.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
We all have different opinions on stages, cause we play Oli differently lol.

Whoever asked cps for Diddy, just take all the suggestions and see which ones work for YOU.

In my experience, on the first match I avoid yoshi's, fd, and sv. I prefer lylat and bf against Diddy. As for counterpicks I like to counterpick halberd and if they ban that I would probably go to either pictochat or castle siege since those are my two best counterpicks.
I'd be wary of Picto just because it's so flat, but I like CS because the statues block bananas and the first part is better for us than him imo. And watch out for stage 3

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The main thing I don't like about Yoshi's Island is that the main platform is so far from the edges that it's difficult to get back on stage if the Diddy has a good banana setup, and it's a lot easier for him to read you, making it difficult. The stage is naturally not that great against Diddy, but lylat is a better option in the Oli:Diddy matchup.

Edit: Pictochat is considered by most Diddys to be his second best stage, and some think it to be better than FD.

Top Bottom