• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So Olimar can just camp, throw pikmin, and pivot grab and stuff?
Sounds about right :)

OH! And c-stick in the direction of bad guy when he's at high percents :laugh:

edit: Alright, I'll break them down

Luigi: He has fast aerials that out prioritize our smashes, making it really easy for him to abuse Oli's blind spot (45 degrees in front of him). Tornado also goes through our smashes (though I've been preventing this lately with Dtilt, which clashes) and eliminates any pikmin latched, so he can approach us both in the air and on the ground, which leaves us with few options. He's also hard to kill since he outprioritizes everything (or at least he was, though usmashoos is gonna change that)

Peach: Olimar is great at punishing people on the ground, but Peach is rarely on the ground so it requires an entirely different mentality, one that is difficult for most Olimars to make. Fair and Dair beat out our Usmash, and both have good options. Dair can just be retreated to avoid punishment, plus it eats through our shield so we can't take too much of it. Fair can lead right into her 2 frame jab, which is faster than Oli OoS can handle :urg: Jab messes us up a lot. Nair is also really fast and outprioritizes Usmash, making one of Oli's bread and butter kill combos (Incomplete Nair>Usmash) next to useless in the MU. She's also a fairly good edgeguarder.

Marth: He has a sword.

Ok, not an explanation, but it's the reason why :laugh: His sword outprioritizes our smashes so we have to time them carefully if we want them to land. Fair outranges everything we can do in the air outside of a perfectly space yellow fair (yellows have larger hitboxes). He's also fast, and that in combination with the implied threat of the sword allow him to zone easily. He's good at approaching in Oli's blind spot as well. (Actually, all three of these are :laugh:) He's got a good gimping game and he just may be the best edge-guarder there is against Oli, even moreso than Meta Knight. We mostly have to rely on reads and punishes to win this one.

I think I covered all of the basics

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Was that a rhetorical question? Because i thought everyone knew thats olimars genral strategy, lol
idk anything about Olimar. that's y im here, to learn!!

So how is MK supposed to approach Olimar

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
u approach with SH drill rushes >.> it ***** oli no joke <3

that and SH dairs work well as an approach and so does.. nado -_-

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
If you decide to dair around olimar, don't do it in up smash range that is the dumbest thing you can do in the match up. Try to get grabs in on him and punish his landings, just run close to him and hold your shield just in case he decides to hit you, so its basically free grabs until you mess up or he lands safely, it isn't as easy as it sounds but you should get used to it after some playing with one, just be careful of whistle bounces.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
When you dair his shield outside of up smash range, do so until he either 1) shields for too long in place, or 2) starts coming towards you to try to punish your dairs and mess up your speacing. When the Olimar does that switch from dairing to tornado. Don't camp the Olimar like M2K did, but don't wrecklessly approach him. Keep pressure on him while staying safe, and as soon as the opportunity prevents itself, **** him up and don't stop. Olimar isn't a fortress when he's unstable.

Noa.

Smash Master
Sounds about right :)

OH! And c-stick in the direction of bad guy when he's at high percents :laugh:

edit: Alright, I'll break them down

Luigi: He has fast aerials that out prioritize our smashes, making it really easy for him to abuse Oli's blind spot (45 degrees in front of him). Tornado also goes through our smashes (though I've been preventing this lately with Dtilt, which clashes) and eliminates any pikmin latched, so he can approach us both in the air and on the ground, which leaves us with few options. He's also hard to kill since he outprioritizes everything (or at least he was, though usmashoos is gonna change that)

Peach: Olimar is great at punishing people on the ground, but Peach is rarely on the ground so it requires an entirely different mentality, one that is difficult for most Olimars to make. Fair and Dair beat out our Usmash, and both have good options. Dair can just be retreated to avoid punishment, plus it eats through our shield so we can't take too much of it. Fair can lead right into her 2 frame jab, which is faster than Oli OoS can handle :urg: Jab messes us up a lot. Nair is also really fast and outprioritizes Usmash, making one of Oli's bread and butter kill combos (Incomplete Nair>Usmash) next to useless in the MU. She's also a fairly good edgeguarder.

Marth: He has a sword.

Ok, not an explanation, but it's the reason why :laugh: His sword outprioritizes our smashes so we have to time them carefully if we want them to land. Fair outranges everything we can do in the air outside of a perfectly space yellow fair (yellows have larger hitboxes). He's also fast, and that in combination with the implied threat of the sword allow him to zone easily. He's good at approaching in Oli's blind spot as well. (Actually, all three of these are :laugh:) He's got a good gimping game and he just may be the best edge-guarder there is against Oli, even moreso than Meta Knight. We mostly have to rely on reads and punishes to win this one.

I think I covered all of the basics
You're saying so much Vocal. It's much simpler than that, and some of that is kinda misleading.

Luigi: Close range he absolutely ***** us. Apart from that the matchup is mostly even.

Peach: She ***** us close range again, and unlike Luigi she has an easier time approaching since her aerial mobility is greatly superior compared to Luigi.

Marth: This matchup is so easy onstage. We actually handle his approaches pretty easily. Usmash OoS is the way to go. The only reason why this is a bad matchup is because he automatically gimps us while offstage. Best edgeguarder against Oli.

So you weren't wrong, but you brought up a lot of points of these matchups that aren't really that bad for Oli. Like you said that they all outprioritize us. Well almost every single character in the game can outprioritize our attacks. Luigi is very easy to pivot grab if he approaches through the air. He moves incredibly slowly so he needs to jump early and that means it's telegraphed. You mentioned with Peach that Dair is a problem lol. It shouldn't be shield poking you with a fresh shield, and if she stays there then you can usmash OoS. If she retreats it fair OoS. Deair is probably her worst aerial in this matchup since even if you get hit by it you should be able to SDI it quickly.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
@Draco

Luigi: Yea, you're right, I overthink things :)

Peach: You're the Peach expert lol, I definitely trust your word on this

Marth: I wouldn't call it easy. I'd say it gives more trouble than most other characters in the game

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Marth definitely isn't "easy" on stage, but it's not as bad as some matchups are. I haven't played a Marth since Rich told us to start stutter stepping our forward smashes, though I'll try that out soon. However, Marth has some safe approaches if he hits our shield, whether we up smash oos or not.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Oh yea, and when I made that post I wasn't factoring USOOS into it; I was just telling her (or he? for some reason I remember you as a girl Kaffei) what I thought the reasons were for them being considered bad up til now. We haven't fully implemented usoos yet so i wanna wait and see just how revolutionary they are so i don't over or undersell it

Greward

Smash Lord
i hate marth and falco why arent they banned?

marth usually just fair in ur shield and then side B / upB u so they cant get shieldgrabbed. but im not sure if we can usmash oos if they try to go for the side B, someone who knows about frame data could say it? anyways i dont think so.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I'll check it now. But I'm pretty sure you can't. I was just having this conversation with Shaya and Pierce, actually lol.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Marth definitely isn't "easy" on stage, but it's not as bad as some matchups are. I haven't played a Marth since Rich told us to start stutter stepping our forward smashes, though I'll try that out soon. However, Marth has some safe approaches if he hits our shield, whether we up smash oos or not.
You should've asked me to play Marth in our set at SiiS2! You know I went in having the feeling that I'd lose >:[

In other news, it's inspiring to see all this work done by Olimars after Brood-san did so well at Apex. Time to step it up for the Falcos too :D

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
yes but i dont hink uv seen the secret photos his stalkers have captured >.> he trys to **** ike... often... >.>
But Ike! He's so manly and rugged! MARTH, WHAT DID YOU DO TO IIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!

Whatever it was, just convince him to stop jabbing people and all is forgiven.

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
But Ike! He's so manly and rugged! MARTH, WHAT DID YOU DO TO IIIIIIIIIIIIIKE!

Whatever it was, just convince him to stop jabbing people and all is forgiven.
marth does unspeakable things to ike -.- and because of marth ike takes out all his **** anger on everyone else by jabbing them >.> but of course hes to scared of marth to hurt him to much ;-;

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
lmao wtf vocal :p
(goo)
also i need some diddy counter pick stages >.> i was thinking maybe PS2???? but idk

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So, I've been looking for a viable secondary and I've found him. It's Olimar of all characters. So that you know, I main Ganon.

I enjoy playing him, and he is the only character I can camp with properly.

Now, I've mostly been learning what he can do by watching the Brood vs. M2K videos. They're actually what inspired me to pick up Olimar. Seriously, Brood is epic.

Now, I'm starting to buffer almost everything, I know to always DI up, but where's a good place to start with ATs?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Now, I've mostly been learning what he can do by watching the Brood vs. M2K videos. They're actually what inspired me to pick up Olimar. Seriously, Brood is epic.
Brood vs. M2K videos. They're actually what inspired me to pick up Olimar.
Brood inspired me to pick up Olimar.
You say it like we're suppose to be surprised XD Well, welcome to the Oli boards, bro. If you're just starting with Olimar, you don't want to get too much into ATs yet. And to be honest, he doesn't really have too many ATs that are too important at the early stages, other than up smashing out of shield. You should probably work on that, but other than that, the more important things you should work on are improving your keep out game, and getting recovering down. If you can get some videos, we can help further.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So, I've been looking for a viable secondary and I've found him. It's Olimar of all characters. So that you know, I main Ganon.

I enjoy playing him, and he is the only character I can camp with properly.

Now, I'm starting to buffer almost everything, I know to always DI up, but where's a good place to start with ATs?
All of what Hilt said, plus the most important rule for anyone who wants to play Olimar for realsies: ALWAYS BE AWARE OF YOUR LINE. You should know which 3 pikmin are next at nearly all times. And give up your notion of taunting - when you get a KO, you've got to use that time to rearrange your line (your whistle number too, if you like).

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I've already been working taunting out of my game. Getting used to remembering my line is a bit tough, but no tougher than the amount of attention I tend to pay to stage hazards, Snakes mines, etc.

Been working rolls and spotdodges out too. I really don't see their place in my game anymore. Anywhere I could roll to get away, I could probably shieldgrab/downsmash/fsmash/whistle to achieve more.

Having grab range is so great.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I've already been working taunting out of my game. Getting used to remembering my line is a bit tough, but no tougher than the amount of attention I tend to pay to stage hazards, Snakes mines, etc.

Been working rolls and spotdodges out too. I really don't see their place in my game anymore. Anywhere I could roll to get away, I could probably shieldgrab/downsmash/fsmash/whistle to achieve more.

Having grab range is so great.
Don't forget pivot grab. Pivot grab is essential for both defensive and offensive purposes; a lot of times where other characters would roll, Oli pivot grabs

Greward

Smash Lord
have any good olimar player ever teamed with pikachu, wario or diddy? i want to know if theyre a good setup, because i suck at teams xD

btw we should do a teams post

Top Bottom