• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Dnyce

Smash Master
I'm the opposite, I prefer platforms against G&W. Just me tho, you worried about zac?

Halberd + Delfino. CP the one he doesn't ban. Purples kill G&W in the 60-70s

Denti

Smash Master
I did better on delfino than FD. He could get super evaisive on FD, it was hard to touch him. And yes I'm worried about zac, I just didn't actually have a stage in mind when we met in bracket.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Delfino is good against GW. Pictochat is another good choice, if it's legal down there. I doubt Japes is legal but I would take GW there as well (I wouldn't expect others to, though). Other stages that come to mind, umm.. FD is obviously a good choice, everything else would be decent at best.

Noa.

Smash Master
Actually if you're uairing the platform from below, G&W can land on the platform and UpB, which will spike you into the water. And I KNOW that Zac knows that.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Are you talking about on Japes? It would be dumb to do that against GW (and most characters) predictably. And basically at all against GW lol.

Noa.

Smash Master
Yeah that was Japes. Since you mentioned it as a CP I just wanted to caution some people if they choose that stage. I now see that you typed that you wouldn't expect others to counterpick it.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Would it worth it for a Snake main to pick up Olimar? I've been kind of contemplating this for a long time. Thoughts?
In my opinion, Olimar isn't a very good choice to secondary. While good Olimars may make him seen ordinary to play, he requires a lot more thought to play than you'd assume. You'd have to learn to base your attack strategies off of your line, and that's not something that really translates to other characters. Unless you really just like the way Olimar plays I wouldn't recommend trying to secondary him. If you do like him though, then definitely learn him; grab ****** people is awesome for one thing, and you just feel good when you're using your pikmin to their maximum potential :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Olimar is a difficult character to use as a secondary, due to how much stuff you're going to have to spend time learning/memorizing. He doesn't take as much tech skill as some characters, but he does take a hell of a lot of thought. Pikmin management, learning what Pikmin does what and how good each one are for each attack (not to mention the fact that you have to play completely different in almost every single matchup, so you have to learn several, several different plays styles), it gets annoying, haha. What matchups would you be wanting to use him for, though? DDD? Snake?

Picking up Olimar would definitely help your game a lot, it's just a case of if you want to spend the time learning all of the random **** that comes along with him.

DUB

Smash Lord
I've got another one of those secondary questions...

I like Marth because he's pretty much one of the best secondaries with his mostly even or advantageous matchups. I like DDD even better, but I'm in a MK heavy state so I'm not sure if he would be the best based off who people play in NC. Any other secondaries that work well with Olimar? I previously played Diddy and he doesn't look like a good secondary at all for Olimar. Oddly enough they have the same debatable 4 worst matchups in MK,Marth,Peach,Luigi and are semi-stage dependent. Similarities?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah Diddy's not a good secondary for Olimar, lol. Is MK the main character you're picking up a secondary for? Because it really limits your options if that's your main goal XD

DUB

Smash Lord
No not at all. I don't mind fighting MK with Olimar as long as it's not on one of his wild CP's. I'm working on Cstle Siege vs him atm. We have a good Marth main in Kadaj and I'm pretty sure my Oli would get wrecked lol. Plus, Marth is fine on a lot stages. DDD may be good on a lot of stages Oli is CP'd too aswell, but I don't know much about his stage selection.

Noa.

Smash Master
Honestly if you do well in most matchups as Oli you don't need a secondary. The best secondary for Oli depends on what matchups you want that secondary to cover. Marth is pretty good though.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
No not at all. I don't mind fighting MK with Olimar as long as it's not on one of his wild CP's. I'm working on Cstle Siege vs him atm. We have a good Marth main in Kadaj and I'm pretty sure my Oli would get wrecked lol. Plus, Marth is fine on a lot stages. DDD may be good on a lot of stages Oli is CP'd too aswell, but I don't know much about his stage selection.
DDD is my secondary, and it works really well. He covers Marth, Luigi, and Peach really well. In all honesty though, DDD's helped me more by causing me to focus on some things that I normally didn't pay as much attention to with Olimar, so yeah, I definitely recommend him as a secondary, since he covers Olimar's bad matchups, other than Meta Knight, pretty well. And a few of his difficult matchups as well, even though those may not be that bad.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
DDD is my secondary, and it works really well. He covers Marth, Luigi, and Peach really well. In all honesty though, DDD's helped me more by causing me to focus on some things that I normally didn't pay as much attention to with Olimar, so yeah, I definitely recommend him as a secondary, since he covers Olimar's bad matchups, other than Meta Knight, pretty well. And a few of his difficult matchups as well, even though those may not be that bad.
What are these things?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The main things he helped me with were tech chasing, punishing landings against opponents that are recovering (although that's something you get down by playing Olimar in general), finding and noticing openings for utilts, and helped my spacing a bit as well.

Oh, the main thing DDD helped with was finding kills instead of looking for them. Olimar's kill options are really, really good so I sometimes didn't think about killing, I just did it. With DDD, though, you have to be patient and look for the kill options, and notice them when they're available. And this transferred over to Olimar and helped me at landing kills.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
I was on the Falco Q&A thread, lookin for a CP. A bunch of people said Marth, a bunch of people said Snake. I was checkin them out, and honestly, I didn't like it...

So I tried out MK. It worked out pretty well, except for the fact that I felt like a frontrunner. I hated it.

So I was looking at Falco's biggest weaknesses: Pika, MK, R.O.B, Kirby, Marth, and G&W. A bunch of characters weren't working out for me, whether it was personal preference, or matchup weakness getting in the way (I'm really picky). Then, I stumbled upon one character: Olimar.

He's the cure to all of those crap matchups, with the exception of Marth and MK. And his only other weaknesses are Luigi and Peach, which can be easily cured with Falco.

So, I'm looking for an opinion. Is this a smart choice? Are there smarter choices (other than Snake, MK, and Marth)? Thanks.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I'd say that Marth can handle some of those characters better than Olimar can and with much less concentration (you must CONSTANTLY look at your line), but if you're willing to put in the time and effort it takes to learn Olimar he can be very rewarding and he'd do just fine in those matchups.

#HBC | Gorf

Marth just seems so bland, and boring. He's just not my type. But Olimar's fun for me. I suck at the game if I'm not having fun with the character.. And I'm more than willing to put the time and effort needed to CP Olimar.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Marth just seems so bland, and boring. He's just not my type. But Olimar's fun for me. I suck at the game if I'm not having fun with the character.. And I'm more than willing to put the time and effort needed to CP Olimar.
Then by all means welcome aboard :) You'll have to learn a different fighting style for each of those MUs, but once you get the handle it won't be so bad. Biggest thing in the beginning will be learning how to recover: you know how most characters use a jump to momentum cancel? 90% of the time that's a bad idea with Oli - you're gonna need that second jump if you plan on living.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Wait, are you looking for a secondary to avoid the Falco ditto? Or just a good secondary for Falco in general? Olimar works well as a secondary, but better as a dual main, for the reasons I gave DUB.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
If he's at very low percents, no. I know you can get two consectutive grabs, I'm not sure about three (why don't I know this?)

#HBC | Gorf

I'm looking to combat the Pikachu, Kirby, R.O.B and G&W MU's. If I get to really liking Oli, I'll end up looking at all of the MU's and use Oli for the better ones.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
They're working on it in the Smash Lab. I don't know if they have anyone working on Olimar yet, but their plan is to get hit bubbles for each and edvery character, and Olimar is one of the few characters remaining. I say just leave it to them, I don't feel like dealing with the codes.

Noa.

Smash Master
Good thing that someone does our work for us. Hopefully they dothe difference between Yellows.

Do purples have significant hotbox differences?

Top Bottom