• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Dnyce

Smash Master

Don't try to attack a DDD out of the air with Up Smash. His Back Air, Inhale, and him simply Air Dodging through it and grabbing us, all beat it out.
Up-smash beats inhale. King DeDeDe's inhale sucks all of Olimar's smashes into him. It also beats out his back-air from the front side of King DeDeDe. Punishing aerial dodges is fairly simple if you take the spacing required to punish the former options and notice that he is not taking either then tap the Z-button for a half charged up-smash.
Ideally you want to be in front of King DeDeDe when he is about to land if you want to up-smash him safely. Otherwise the better option, as Hilt mentioned, is to pivot-grab his landing.

I believe game one and two of Fino verses Coney from MLG Columbus is viewable on http://www.youtube.com/ if you wish to see the match-up played out.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
In the two videos that were you Youtube (there's one more but it isn't uploaded), the only time Fino usmashed DDD while he was inhaling, the usmash got grab armored and he got Inhaled regardless. And most of the time, either that happens or the pikmin doesn't hit DDD and he lands right next to Olimar with an Inhale out, during the lag of usmash, granted the DDD spaces the inhale correctly of course. It's possible for up smash to beat inhale out, as you said, but it's unlikely and not worth the risk.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Wow, that was fast, lol. Thanks a ton for all the advice, guys...... I can recognize a lot of what I was doing wrong from this, especially recovery-wise. (Haven't even attempted to work Oli's whistle into my game yet, although I knew it was essential for recovery.)

So is the Pikachu vs DDD matchup really not as bad for DDD as advertised? DDD's my secondary and I don't mind the matchup, as long as I play patient and watch for Pikachu's grab attempts.
It's really not. Most of the Pikas & DDDs who have experience with the MU think it's closer to evenish now (still in Pika's favor though), and that's if Pika's playing extra campy & lame. DDD frustrated the hell out of me since I hate playing Pika that way, so I figured if I gotta play super gay, might as well pick the absolute campiest character I could think of. =X

Hehe, Olimar fills me with the desire to be lame. Tried MK, but even nado spam didn't do it for me like pikmin do. <3

Coney

Smash Master
i wouldn't suggest picking up olimar specifically for ddd; the MU is a close 6-4 for olimar, but a ddd main with experience will completely hornswoggle a pocket olimar

if you really wanna beat us, pick up ICs, learn the fthrow>footstool>ice block reset, congrats, you've just beaten ddd

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I love that you immediately made it your signature lol, he does have a point though. Nado is boring - pikmin have personality :p
*female* :urg:

Nado is extremely boring. I was worried I'd be stuck never enjoying the MU, but then Oli came to me like a dream. ;_____;

i wouldn't suggest picking up olimar specifically for ddd; the MU is a close 6-4 for olimar, but a ddd main with experience will completely hornswoggle a pocket olimar

if you really wanna beat us, pick up ICs, learn the fthrow>footstool>ice block reset, congrats, you've just beaten ddd
It's not about the ease of the matchup..... or I'd stay Pikachu.

It's about how ****ing boring and aggravating it is camping for grabs and hits when his grab range >>>>> everything. I fully enjoy the lameness of the MU with Oli, which is really all that matters to me whether it's a **** MU, advantaged, even, or whatever.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
*female* :urg:

Nado is extremely boring. I was worried I'd be stuck never enjoying the MU, but then Oli came to me like a dream. ;_____;

It's not about the ease of the matchup..... or I'd stay Pikachu.

It's about how ****ing boring and aggravating it is camping for grabs and hits when his grab range >>>>> everything. I fully enjoy the lameness of the MU with Oli, which is really all that matters to me whether it's a **** MU, advantaged, even, or whatever.
My bad :( I didn't know lol, I wish there were more girls that played smash, more power to you :suess: And I don't know if lame is the right word - in Olimar terms we call that safe :)

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
It's all good, Vocal, girls don't exist on the internet anyways. =X

Now I'm off to read about what diff pikmin do (& get over my grudge against the yellows :mad:!), because I only know the bare bones basics about this character lol.

Jane

Smash Hero
There are 3 kinds of pivot grabs. Pivot dash grab, pivot grab in place and retreating pivot grabs. :D

The More You Know!%@#$%^&[/
oh shi haha, i was not aware. please excuse my noob

so, how do you do a pivot dash grab and a pivot grab in place?

Denti

Smash Master
For a pivot dash grab you pivot and hold you direction until olimar stops with a slide as he has turned around and you grab. As for pivot grabbing in place, this is the hardest one, you find the right timing within the turn around that is between sliding pivot grab and dash pivot grab. You'd have to experiment with it to understand better XD

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
For a pivot dash grab you pivot and hold you direction until olimar stops with a slide as he has turned around and you grab. As for pivot grabbing in place, this is the hardest one, you find the right timing within the turn around that is between sliding pivot grab and dash pivot grab. You'd have to experiment with it to understand better XD
Interesting, I didn't know this. Up til now I've only been doing retreating pivot grabs. They still seem the most useful but it's still good to know about the others just in case.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey, question: I just played a Metaknight and didn't do too badly against him (lost, but it was close), but something that definitely hurt my game was that he would SL into me, cancel it into the attack and go directly into a jab, without any time to counter. I didn't know he could do this, and now that I do, what should I do about it? Run under him and pivot grab?

Weruop

Smash Ace
Hey, question: I just played a Metaknight and didn't do too badly against him (lost, but it was close), but something that definitely hurt my game was that he would SL into me, cancel it into the attack and go directly into a jab, without any time to counter. I didn't know he could do this, and now that I do, what should I do about it? Run under him and pivot grab?
run past and pivot grab if ur able to i guess.
another option is SH, whistle the glide attack, nair into up smash
or wait til he hits ur shield then see if its possible to SH OOS and then fair/nair
i think out nair goes thru his glide attack btw ( not sure ) like... neither of us hit the other.. but mabe if ur nair is still going by the time his glide attack finishes, u can get him with the last hits of ur nair. we should experiment on wifi later vocal

edit: meta glide attack does 12 damage fresh.
our sweet spotted up smashes do 15-13-15-9-18 (r-y-b-w-p) fresh (plus damage from unfinished nair :) )

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
run past and pivot grab if ur able to i guess.
another option is SH, whistle the glide attack, nair into up smash
or wait til he hits ur shield then see if its possible to SH OOS and then fair/nair
i think out nair goes thru his glide attack btw ( not sure ) like... neither of us hit the other.. but mabe if ur nair is still going by the time his glide attack finishes, u can get him with the last hits of ur nair. we should experiment on wifi later vocal

edit: meta glide attack does 12 damage fresh.
our sweet spotted up smashes do 15-13-15-9-18 (r-y-b-w-p) fresh (plus damage from unfinished nair :) )
Cool, and I'll take u up on that offer, bring it up the next time you see me on the ladder :)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Excuse the double post; I have a question and i figure it wouldn't reach people if all i did was edit my last post. I was just playing a ZSS, and I'm pretty confused about the matchup. Where do I even begin? Ok, how do I best counteract her laser->grab approach? And how do I get around her spacing with side b, just shield it? (Related: I think I saw ftilt clash with it, is this true?) And how the heck am I supposed to get in there for a kill D:

Weruop

Smash Ace
ill try to help. start by camping since pikmin will interfere with her throwing her suit a lot. usually ZSS will try to keep good spacing away from u and keep u in the range of the tip of her whip and use the whip and laser. i think that f smashes are good in this matchup.. just dont get hit by the whip at high percentage. shield well and be sure to make smart choices out of shielding. if a side B or laser hits ur shield, mix up what u do afterwards and see what works best ( full hop grab, roll forward, etc ) check for youtube matches as well

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
ill try to help. start by camping since pikmin will interfere with her throwing her suit a lot. usually ZSS will try to keep good spacing away from u and keep u in the range of the tip of her whip and use the whip and laser. i think that f smashes are good in this matchup.. just dont get hit by the whip at high percentage. shield well and be sure to make smart choices out of shielding. if a side B or laser hits ur shield, mix up what u do afterwards and see what works best ( full hop grab, roll forward, etc ) check for youtube matches as well
Thanks Wer, if anyone else has more tips I'd greatly appreciate them. Also, I have another question. We all know that incomplete nair-> usmash is beast, but how do you set something like that up? What does an opening for this look like?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The most important part of the ZSS matchup is to not spot dodge ever. Don't stand in the same place more than two seconds, because you can't do anything if you do. And spot dodging only gets you hit by dsmash or jabs or whatever the **** else she throws around.

Jane

Smash Hero
We all know that incomplete nair-> usmash is beast, but how do you set something like that up? What does an opening for this look like?
its funny because i used to have the same question when i first started playing. i thought "i dont even nair, let alone learn how to do an incomplete one"

but anyways, you just have to start using nair. nair *****, its a really good defensive option in the air. the best times to use it is when your opponent is coming towards you (and doesnt have a sword or something), because of its awesome priority it usually beats whatever they can throw at you. but yea once you can regularly use nair, incomplete nair to usmash/dsmash/uptilt will show itself to you.

basically, just start using nair a lot. youll see.

vato_break

Smash Master
hi there olimar boards! i have a quick question. Do olimars aerials increase depending pikmin color and if so, does priority increase too or can someone explain how these things work? thanks in advance!

Weruop

Smash Ace
hi there olimar boards! i have a quick question. Do olimars aerials increase depending pikmin color and if so, does priority increase too or can someone explain how these things work? thanks in advance!
what do u mean do they increase?
ummm im not exactly sure how priority works but yellow pikmin have more range(and thus go through more attacks) than all of the other piikmin(with attacks). blue pikmin and i think white have a little extra range with grabs.

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
What should Snake do against Oli? Already asked in Snake forum, would like to know what this board gotta say.

Top Bottom