• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Don't forget don't get grabbed.

...ok actual tip. I've seen a lot of Snake trip Oli by using, if I remember correctly, the first hit of ftilt. If it hits shield, you've got time to react. If it trips him, you've got a free follow up ftilt (both hits). And learn to techchase well; in my experience, Olimar doesn't get out of dthrow techchase easily if the Snake is good at it. Two options are out the window as getup in place and getup attack will most likely lead to another grab, so a lot of the time it's guessing which way he will roll. There will be the first two as mixups, but know that those two are very dangerous options and Olimar will only do them if he thinks he can fake you into going to grab at one of the roll positions.

shikashake2

Smash Cadet
I have a question:

are there any advantages white pikmin have over other colours besides extra pummel damage and range with pikmin throw?

Jane

Smash Hero
they do more damage when they latch on to the enemy, and faster too

they also fly faster when you throw em

and they have a longer-than-normal reach when you grab with them

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I think I saw someone mention this once, but I'd like to know for sure. IIRC, electrical attacks don't have hitstun, so does this mean that a yellow dthrow cannot be followed up by an usmash? Yesterday I had a Marth in friendlies fair me before I got in the usmash, I was wondering if it was this or if I just didn't buffer the smash correctly

Dnyce

Smash Master
I think I saw someone mention this once, but I'd like to know for sure. IIRC, electrical attacks don't have hitstun, so does this mean that a yellow dthrow cannot be followed up by an usmash? Yesterday I had a Marth in friendlies fair me before I got in the usmash, I was wondering if it was this or if I just didn't buffer the smash correctly
Correct. Characters like mk can dair you out of yellow throws, cool stuff huh? lol.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Correct. Characters like mk can dair you out of yellow throws, cool stuff huh? lol.
Annoying is more like it :/ Another, more specific question: how in the hell do you get off a ledge against a Zero Suit Samus? This another one of the ways Sole ate me alive yesterday. So far I've learned not to getup attack or roll unless I want to eat a dsmash, but even after getting this down I still had a lot of trouble :(

Also, how much damage does pikmin tether deal? I didn't see the info in Deflowered. The reason I ask is because I've been doing a lot of dthrow->tether lately and I want to know how it compares damage wise to dthrow->fair

Dnyce

Smash Master
Annoying is more like it :/ Another, more specific question: how in the hell do you get off a ledge against a Zero Suit Samus? This another one of the ways Sole ate me alive yesterday. So far I've learned not to getup attack or roll unless I want to eat a dsmash, but even after getting this down I still had a lot of trouble :(
It's really a matter of knowing all your ledge options and then baiting for a safe approach from there. You're probably going to have to grab the edge a few times figuring it out (play safe). I'm not sure about ZSS specifically though, I should have recorded the matches between riddle and I =/

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
they do more damage when they latch on to the enemy, and faster too
They don't deal damage any faster or slower. All Pikmin deal late damange on 30 frame intervals.
IIRC, electrical attacks don't have hitstun, so does this mean that a yellow dthrow cannot be followed up by an usmash?

..what are you talking about fino. Not all electric attacks have zero hitstun. Yellow uair doesn't. Yellow dthrow doesn't. Fsmash, usmash, you get the drill. Yellow uthrow, bthrow, and fthrow have very little hitstun after certain percents, but not always. Hitstun increases with percents for a little while and then when it gets to a certain percent, it drops dramatically. With yellow throws (excluding dthrow), it drops to either zero or something extremely close to it. I haven't tested hitstun for throws yet, other than dthrow, so I don't know.

For the record, all dthrows, when they reach their peak, deal so little hitstun (36 frames) that the exact frame they're out of stun, you're out of lag from the dthrow, so you have absolutely no time to punish. The percents that dthrow reaches its peak is 11% for red, 19% for blue, 14% for yellow, 23% for white, and always (0%) with purples. After these percents, dthrow combos are not guaranteed and the opponent can airdodge through your followups.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Thanks for the more in depth explanation Hilt, The More You Know :) Next question: where should I cp a ZSS to? In the tourney I took Sole to Halberd. Good choice, or is there a better one?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Delfino is a stage that actually increases purple pikmin percentage, halberd just has a low ceiling (and that platform :3).

As for a CP, I dunno for sure.

Geddan

Smash Ace
if you know how to boost pivot grab, then regular pivot grabbing is obsolete right?

also i have no idea about zero suit. she juggles really well so i would actually try to pick a stage with a high ceiling.

Asa

Smash Hero
who cares about juggling just whistle that ****

halberd's great

zss dies really early there

fd is good too, lots of camp room, and zss better on platform stages

@ geddan
ya you just need boost pivot grabbing

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
How do I get the upper hand against Marth? I don't have problems with many Characters, but Marth is the worst. Is there anything i can do to stop a Marth?

Dnyce

Smash Master
since olis roll sucks, how often should we use it?
Very rarely. Some characters will flat out **** you if you roll while others you can get away with doing it, but just keep in mind that you shouldn't ^^;

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Hey Hilt and Fino, this question is for you two specifically and everyone else generally :)

So yesterday I was in the Oli chat and Stealth Raptor challenged me to a wifi battle, and I said sure, why not. I then got royally ***** by his Pikachu :urg: When he was camping me with the thunder jolts, I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to get any damage in. In the second game we played I figured out that dtilt cancels the jolts, and that helped a little, but I still did pretty badly. After we finished, he said you two had a lot of Pikachu experience so I should come to you guys. HELP! :confused:

Frio

Smash Champion
All your pikimin attacks will cancel the jolts. You have more priority so try not to turn it into a camping match, just go up and hit him. If he's short hopping jolts (which he should be) just run up and U smash. If he's full hopping use U air. Also; regarding his QaC, just U smash if he's going into you with it. Just try to keep the match mid ranged so you can hit him but he can't hit you.

Jane

Smash Hero
ok so 1 and a half questions here.

1/2. whistle bouncing is when you jump with momentum in one direction, whistle, then immediately change directions by slamming the control stick in the opposide direction right?

1. how do you utilize whistle bouncing?

Dnyce

Smash Master
Hey Hilt and Fino, this question is for you two specifically and everyone else generally :)

So yesterday I was in the Oli chat and Stealth Raptor challenged me to a wifi battle, and I said sure, why not. I then got royally ***** by his Pikachu :urg: When he was camping me with the thunder jolts, I couldn't figure out how I was supposed to get any damage in. In the second game we played I figured out that dtilt cancels the jolts, and that helped a little, but I still did pretty badly. After we finished, he said you two had a lot of Pikachu experience so I should come to you guys. HELP! :confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yh9UvGrpmA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHH0WNATZKI

While they are kinda old... my advice in accordance still applies. Camp your little heart out.

Jane

Smash Hero
ok so 1 and a half questions here.

1/2. whistle bouncing is when you jump with momentum in one direction, whistle, then immediately change directions by slamming the control stick in the opposide direction right?

1. how do you utilize whistle bouncing?
anyone? ;_;

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Yeah, that's basically how you do it. Ever play 2D Fighters? It's similar to doing a Quarter Circle, when you bounce whistles. There are a few ways to utilize it. The most obvious is to fake your opponent out by making them think you're traveling one way, and then shift to the other direction. Makes landing a bit less predictable, which is important for a character that gets punished hard when landing.

DUB

Smash Lord
Pivot grabbing someone on the ice transformation of PS2 is some of the weirdest mechanics I've ever seen in this game :confused:

Jane

Smash Hero
IS THERE A WAY TO UPSMASH OUT OF SHIELD WHILE HAVING TAP JUMP OFF?

if so, how would you go about doing such things? :3

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
yes, i do it all the time and have tap jump off.....

on my controller setting i put R to attack. I find using R for attack makes DACUS and other usmash ATs a lot easier.

I hold shield then press R, X (or w/e jump button u use), and I hold up on the control stick .

Geddan

Smash Ace
three questions what are some various methods to boost pivot grab? i know a few i just want to know my options so i can find what's most comfortable (currently tried what fino does and also dashing > c-sticking in the opposite direction + grab. both uncomfortable for me D: ). also, can someone please tell me how to instant tether with tap jump on?

and lastly, how do you do efficiently perform stuff OoS with tap jump off? for me, tap jump on > tap jump off in terms of just being able to do stuff OoS a lot quicker, disregarding the fact that olimar doesn't have many good OoS options to begin with.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Rainbow Cruise, Brinstar, and Jungle Japes.

:shyguy: :shyguy: :shyguy: :shyguy: :shyguy:

In reality, I like FD against him; I'm never trapped on a platform eating a turtle. I've also had success with Picto, can't think of a third that I like against him really. I'm not mistaken on these, am I? *Waits for Hilt and Draco...Fino can come too :p*

Noa.

Smash Master
FD is your best stage against GW. Less platforms means that GW can't be creative with his approaches. in that regard SV is good too.

Picto would be good I believe. I would be fine counterpicking them.

Top Bottom