• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Denti

Smash Master
Nah, you need to keep pressure on snake, not try to outcamp him at long range. Smashville isn't that small, either. Battlefield is a lot smaller. But the platforms make a bigger difference on it. Also snake kills us off the top and all of the neutrals and neutral/counterpicks have the same celing height, sans parts of castle seige and halberd.
only cuz i respect ya, i'll test this out. XD

Tin Man

Smash Hero
to be honest, I would like FD because I find a key tool vs snake is the pseudo chain grab. Just grab, job (according to percent, dthrow, then chase, repeat). Can do this quite often actually.

Jane

Smash Hero
wow... this threads been dead for a while xD

whats the fastest way to turnaround toss? what i mean is, youre running left, and you want to instantly toss right.

everytime i try, i seems to just turn around and try to pluck, am i just ****ing the timing up? cuz i feel like it cant be done x_X

do i have to like let go of the stick first or something?

Jane

Smash Hero
K

Also, ways to punish nado? I got beat by an mk spamming nado today, and i didnt really know how to adjust to/punish it :s

Zori

Smash Champion
Shield and tilt your shield upwards and hold it till he's done, also watch his jumps.... Most mks will use a b move after there 4-5 jumps

If you do happen to get hit smash di and nair search zori vs redhalberd for an example, I can't link cause I'm on my phone

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
k guys i have a serious question. Ive noticed ive hit a major wall in my game play. I cant seem to punish people who constantly air dodge and spotdodge when im about to punish. Then when i notice this..i try to charge a smash then let go when the dodge ends but they seem to powershield it then punish me. And they dodge all my grabs and i get punished for it.

Dnyce

Smash Master
I cant seem to punish people who constantly air dodge and spotdodge when im about to punish. Then when i notice this..i try to charge a smash then let go when the dodge ends but they seem to powershield it then punish me.
Release when you see the dodge.

And they dodge all my grabs and i get punished for it.
Replace grabs with forward-smash in those situations.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
When you're shield-tilting against Metaknight's Tornado, do you tilt it all the way up or just part of the way?

Frio

Smash Champion
When you're shield-tilting against Metaknight's Tornado, do you tilt it all the way up or just part of the way?
I tilt it all the way and nothing bad has happened so far >_>

what's a good secondary for Olimar mains?
I could give you a typical anser and say Mk but I won't >_>. Just use a 2nd character that covers your own bad match ups. You don't have to use another character for marth if you feel fine using Olimar for example. 2nd characters are more for personal than for your first charcters match ups.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Sorry, one more quick question.
A long time ago, I heard that the grab ranges of blue and white pikmin were longer than those of reds, yellows, and (obviously) purples. A short while later, I heard that this was false and that the four colors shared the same ranges.
Which of these is actually true?

P.S. Frio, I don't even know what to say about that avatar. o_o
Thank you for answering my question, though.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Sorry, one more quick question.
A long time ago, I heard that the grab ranges of blue and white pikmin were longer than those of reds, yellows, and (obviously) purples. A short while later, I heard that this was false and that the four colors shared the same ranges.
Which of these is actually true?

P.S. Frio, I don't even know what to say about that avatar. o_o
Thank you for answering my question, though.
The grab ranges for both blue and white pikmin are significantly longer than the other pikmin. I tried searching around the stickies for the specific numbers but couldn't find anything; regardless, the two are your best friend when going for a grab (and pivot grab range brings a tear to my eye every time I use it). The white's range is also longer than the blue's, but only marginally. You should try going to FD on practice mode and fooling around with the different ranges.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
I tried screwing around with it for an hour or two and it seems that his standing grab range is ever-so-slightly longer with blues and whites. When I say "ever-so-slightly", I mean less than half of Olimar's foot in length. Blues and whites also seem to have the same length.

Anyone else want to test this?
Also, is there a way to reliably test pivot grab range?

Dnyce

Smash Master
I tried screwing around with it for an hour or two and it seems that his standing grab range is ever-so-slightly longer with blues and whites. When I say "ever-so-slightly", I mean less than half of Olimar's foot in length. Blues and whites also seem to have the same length.

Anyone else want to test this?
Also, is there a way to reliably test pivot grab range?
This was my guess. If whites and blues have extra range it is infinitesimally longer; however, I cannot test this at the moment.

The frame hack can be used to test pivot-grab range.

Jane

Smash Hero
i have heard before that olimar is good with platforms. could someone explain to me how stages with platforms benefit oli?

Frio

Smash Champion
i have heard before that olimar is good with platforms. could someone explain to me how stages with platforms benefit oli?
Well Olimar just loves it when people are above them. So when they are stuck on a platform above you it's even more fun. On stage like lylat your U smash goes through the platform and hits them. Also U air provies great sheild pressure. You can also knoch them off the platform and get a u/f smash or something.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
What Frio said is true, not to mention platforms can also help Olimar regain control of himself. Getting back to the stage can sometimes be difficult for him, and on flat stages like FD it's quite easy for characters to juggle him. Platforms give Olimar an alternate option; now being that they're still in the air, the most desirable option is to get all the way to the ground immediately, but if that isn't possible without punishment, platforms can help in a pinch.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
One of Olimar's greatest strengths is punishing the opponent just as they're landing. That said, landing safely on the ground, while getting past Olimar's fsmash, dsmash, grab, usmash, uair, etc, is one of the most difficult tasks for our opponent in most matchups. Platforms make it more difficult for our opponent.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
I believe ive figured out ghost pikmin. Ghost pikmin can only happen on stages with high ledge lines. example = battle field. the pikmin is technically in the stage, but on the actual stage boundary settings. :o Its hard to explain..

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
See the research thread, Latias. We've already figured out ghost Pikmin. It's pretty easy to do (and cure) actually, too lol. I've learned a few new things about Ghost Pikmin as well, but I'll go on about that another time.

Latias

Smash Journeyman
That's because it isn't, haha. You can cause ghost pikmin on any ledge.
Really? ;o i have a question, with move decay. if you use fair with the 5 different pikmin right after each other, does it decay 5 times, or just once for that move with each pikmin?

edit: also, show me this happening on delfino

Dnyce

Smash Master
Really? ;o i have a question, with move decay. if you use fair with the 5 different pikmin right after each other, does it decay 5 times, or just once for that move with each pikmin?
It will decay five times.

Sky Pirate

NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Huh. I think I just saw my dash attack beat DK's UpB.
Am I going crazy?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Soooo, picked up Olimar for DDD. Can anybody give me a quick summary of the MU?

Things to do, things to avoid, etc. etc.

So far I do pretty well with everything but recovery. Getting gimped too often..... so used to directional recoveries with Pika + Zelda. :(

Frio

Smash Champion
Soooo, picked up Olimar for DDD. Can anybody give me a quick summary of the MU?

Things to do, things to avoid, etc. etc.

So far I do pretty well with everything but recovery. Getting gimped too often..... so used to directional recoveries with Pika + Zelda. :(
So weird to see you in here ._.When recovering with olimar don't over focus on the stage. That will just set you up to get punished. What I mean by that is to not just to have the goal of getting back on solid ground. If they aren't sheilding, just use N air or use F air if you have a red pikimin or something. If it's on battle feild, maybe use you Up B boost to go on the platform instead. And if you're having trouble getting back onto the stage from the ledge, use your U air. It will go through the stage and hit your opponent.

Denti

Smash Master
DDD can shield grab oli's attacks well.

Olimar can camp DDD to hell and back with pikmin toss and F smash.

Watch his patterns and run up and grab whenever he's playing to predictable.

His F tilt is the only thing keeping oli from running straight in there and hard ****** him, so space for his F tilt.

Retreating pivot grabs destroy his approches.

The best options he has is to punish olimar's stupid mistakes. Play to not get punished

Camp is your friend.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Don't forget, if you're recovering and you absolutely cannot do it without taking a hit, Whistle has super armor. If you can after whistling, even throw in a dair if he's positioned properly.

When hit off of the stage, don't let your first instinct be to always jump - this can give DDD all the time he needs to edgehog or chase you off of the edge for a gimp. If you are close enough and you have enough pikmin in your line, tether immediately. This also has an added bonus of hitting opponents who don't expect you to use it so quickly.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The DDD matchup is going to be a lot of you running from him, covering your tracks with Pikmin Toss, Forward Smash, and Pivot Grabs. Approaching with Dash Grabs, Up Smash, Forward Air, is extremely punishable, unless it's completely unpredictable, against DDD.

Don't try to attack a DDD out of the air with Up Smash. His Back Air, Inhale, and him simply Air Dodging through it and grabbing us, all beat it out. Focus on Up Airing him if he's high enough for it to work, and Pivot Grabb or Forward Smashing if he isn't. Olimar excels at punishing an opponent as they land, and you're going to need to take advantage that a lot in this matchup. Stay as far from the ledge as you can. If you notice yourself getting closer and closer to it, start thinking of how you're going to get back to the center of the stage.

When recovering with Olimar, save your jump until you get about stage height. As soon as you jump, whistle at the same time. This way you won't fast fall the whistle, and a lot of characters try to knock Olimar out of his second jump, so it's the best time to whistle, other than obviously when you're above them, falling. But otherwise, if you're at the same horizontal height as the opponent, or lower, if you have to whistle, jump. And if you have to jump, whistle. They two go hand in hand. Forward Air, Neutral Air, Up Air, etc, work in some cases to mix things up, but not so much against DDD. And when you're getting back on stage against him, from the ledge or from off stage, don't try to be aggressive. It works on some charaters, but DDD is almost always going to be defensive when you're landing and try to punish it, usually with his shield grab. So try to safely land and get the hell away.

Glad to hear you're picking up Olimar :) So is the Pikachu vs DDD matchup really not as bad for DDD as advertised? DDD's my secondary and I don't mind the matchup, as long as I play patient and watch for Pikachu's grab attempts.

Top Bottom