• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Dnyce

Smash Master
Can someone help me with the Olimar match up? I can't seem to get it.
Use Metaknight - that should help you a bit.

(Note: you should ask a more specific question if you seriously want help - like which character you play for starters, etc)

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Bob, go look at the instructions I posted in the social explaining how to reverse upsmash; just remove the part where i say hit A as the control stick reaches up. If you don't hit A then Oli pivot jumps, and you can just fair with the c.stick then.

Browny

Smash Hater
What are the SA frames on a mid-air whistle cancel?

Coz I was thinking, if olimar is falling down onto a platform and he whistles, he cant fall through it while whistling (I think) or airdodging and if he whistles, it will therefore land with it. Does the mid-air whistle have landing lag frames such that if you landed during the SA frames, it would cancel the effect out?

Browny

Smash Hater
So what happens if Olimar lands during say, frame 8? Does the move still give SA frames until 16 and end in 20?

Noa.

Smash Master
But Oli is still caught in the animation. So it's not like we can use those frames to do a super armored fsmash or something.

That would be awesome.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
*faps to Draco's idea*

But in reality I still take the same concept - if I really need a kill and I can afford some damage AND I'm sure my opponent isn't going to grab, sometimes I just fall into him, whistle whatever he throws at me and upsmash in retaliation. I <3 whistle :)

Speaking of whistle, I noticed something yesterday: I'm better at whistling SL than any other attack in the game. Seriously. Like, I whistle it 90% of the time. I guess I've just had so much practice at it :laugh: Anyone else like this?

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
In what situations would it be better to sh pikmin toss? Or is it always better to just pikmin toss?

What is the best neutral and cp against ICs?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
In what situations would it be better to sh pikmin toss? Or is it always better to just pikmin toss?

What is the best neutral and cp against ICs?
SH pikmin toss is a common Olimar tactic that is used at mid-range. Its uses vary from matchup to matchup; against DDD, for instance, it is the main damage racking tool, where as against other characters (Fox comes to mind, that may just be me though) it is best used to elicit an approach, which you can then punish.

Like I mentioned, it is a mid-range tactic. Long-range places you too far away for the pikmin to connect while short-range places you close enough to have your SH punished. There are also certain characters against which SH pikmin toss is almost always a terrible idea; Samus, for instance, can easily Zair you once you leave the ground, and Metaknight can dash in for a punish nearly on reaction alone. For these characters, it is usually best to remain grounded and throw pikmin from there. (Note that pikmin toss can also vary in its uses here as well - it would be a damage racking tool against Samus whereas it is only a tool to force an approach against Meta Knight.)

SH purple pikmin toss can also aid in low percentage grab followups.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Thanks for the help. So basically, any character that has some sort of speed/ long ranged attack can punish sh pikmin tosses, and grounded pikmin tosses are better suited against those types of characters?

As for ICs, halp please? :(

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Thanks for the help. So basically, any character that has some sort of speed/ long ranged attack can punish sh pikmin tosses, and grounded pikmin tosses are better suited against those types of characters?

As for ICs, halp please? :(
I'm cautious about making blanket statements like that, but I'd say that's a great guideline to follow, and you'll figure out other things over time. (Or just ask MU specific questions :p)

As for ICs you'd have to ask someone else - I'm not nearly good enough in that MU yet to give advice ^_^

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
SH pikmin toss is a common Olimar tactic that is used at mid-range. Its uses vary from matchup to matchup; against DDD, for instance, it is the main damage racking tool, where as against other characters (Fox comes to mind, that may just be me though) it is best used to elicit an approach, which you can then punish.

Like I mentioned, it is a mid-range tactic. Long-range places you too far away for the pikmin to connect while short-range places you close enough to have your SH punished. There are also certain characters against which SH pikmin toss is almost always a terrible idea; Samus, for instance, can easily Zair you once you leave the ground, and Metaknight can dash in for a punish nearly on reaction alone. For these characters, it is usually best to remain grounded and throw pikmin from there. (Note that pikmin toss can also vary in its uses here as well - it would be a damage racking tool against Samus whereas it is only a tool to force an approach against Meta Knight.)

As for Ice Climbers, what are you general stages that you have as neutrals, Scatt? I'll be able to help you more after I know what you're striking from.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

As for Ice Climbers, what are you general stages that you have as neutrals, Scatt? I'll be able to help you more after I know what you're striking from.
Lol I got a pet seal now ^_^

He comes with a food supply right? I aint buyin fish for this thing...

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Normally, the neutrals here are:

Lylat
Smashville
Final D
Yoshi's Island
Battlefield

As for cps:
Frigate
Brinstar
Delfino
Halberd
CS
PS1
Rainbow Cruise

Oops. I missed rc.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
One thing I have to say fo ha match up, don't try to jump out of the d throw to d throw chain grab, if you lose your jump then you lose a stock because popo alone can fsmash you after he d throw and take away your jump if you used it there or lost it jumping out of he grab, best thing to do is air dodge or just take the hit and DI it well.

I would like to say pokemon stadium is a good stage to play them on because if the stage changes while you are grabbed they will drop he grab. If you don't have a problem with desynced blizzards, smashville bf or fd may be the better choice then yoshis island.

I like to double f smash if I hit there shields and they can't shield grab me because they like to spotdodge after their shield gets hit so the 2nd f smash should hit them.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I heard that Olimar has a better chance of plucking Purple in certain stages, is this true?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
I heard that Olimar has a better chance of plucking Purple in certain stages, is this true?
Yes. Certain stages (or segments them that have different terrain) will produce different percentages of different pikmin.

A lot of this info can be found in our stickies :lick:

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Not a problem, man. Picking up Oli, I take it? Or are you trying to get an edge against him? XD

For your question, Scatt, you're usually going to have to choose between Battlefield and Smashville. Battlefield is a bit bigger and has more platforms, which makes getting off/away from a ledge easier, and you're able to run away, jumping from platform to platform, easier. Smashville, however, if you're on its platform, it's constantly so it's harder for the ICs to keep uair pressure on you. YI is an okay choice, but it's really small and the platform only being in the center of the stages makes things really difficult when you're trying to get off of the ledge. Same with the Diddy matchup on this stage, imo. Lylat is your best choice when it comes to starters, but every diddy is going to strike it. And stay away from FD. While it's not TOO terrible, battlefield is better overall completely. And smashville is as well, regardless of it being small.

As for counterpicks, that's a really hard choice. Halberd is good for allowing you to get kills earlier, and the stage is really large. The large platform also helps you not get pressured as much by their uairs. Delfino is good because you have plenty of room to run and hide, and the terrain makes things more difficult for Ice Climbers against you. Rainbow Cruise is a popular choice for the same reason, though amplified. Those are my stage choices against them, at least.

Jiom

Smash Journeyman
So basically for stages, hilt, it's personal preference?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Umm.. sorta. I listed out the good and bad points for the neutrals, but you're basically limited to Battlefield and Smashville, which yeah, will be personal preference. As for CPs, I'm not sure what other stages people would use and why. That's what I would use, though. Maybe Pictochat. But yeah, there's a lot of personal preference involved. Some people aren't good on Delfino or Rainbow Cruise, for instance.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Not a problem, man. Picking up Oli, I take it? Or are you trying to get an edge against him? XD

For your question, Scatt, you're usually going to have to choose between Battlefield and Smashville. Battlefield is a bit bigger and has more platforms, which makes getting off/away from a ledge easier, and you're able to run away, jumping from platform to platform, easier. Smashville, however, if you're on its platform, it's constantly so it's harder for the ICs to keep uair pressure on you. YI is an okay choice, but it's really small and the platform only being in the center of the stages makes things really difficult when you're trying to get off of the ledge. Same with the Diddy matchup on this stage, imo. Lylat is your best choice when it comes to starters, but every diddy is going to strike it. And stay away from FD. While it's not TOO terrible, battlefield is better overall completely. And smashville is as well, regardless of it being small.

As for counterpicks, that's a really hard choice. Halberd is good for allowing you to get kills earlier, and the stage is really large. The large platform also helps you not get pressured as much by their uairs. Delfino is good because you have plenty of room to run and hide, and the terrain makes things more difficult for Ice Climbers against you. Rainbow Cruise is a popular choice for the same reason, though amplified. Those are my stage choices against them, at least.
Trying to learn how he works because I have no idea how to fight Olimar as MK lol

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Trying to learn how he works because I have no idea how to fight Olimar as MK lol
Don't get hit ;)

Jk but if you'd really like to know more you should read this and this. Though the guide is somewhat outdated, it will still give you a good idea of how Olimar works, and Dabuz's MK writeup will let you know the general Oli mentality in the mu

Kaffei

Smash Hero
that just kinda showed me how olimar ***** mk lol
idk how mk fights olimar

much thanks though, very informative

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
that just kinda showed me how olimar ***** mk lol
idk how mk fights olimar

much thanks though, very informative
Oh yea. It does tend to focus on how to beat MK :laugh: Still, you can use it to see the things that give us trouble as well as what we intend to do about them. Also, you should check out the MK Video Thread; iirc they have a couple sets vs. Olimar in there

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Yeah, Olimar solidly beats GW. Especially now that we know how to usmash oos his turtle/key. Much of what vocal said is ture, though. He has a terrible time approaching, which is his main problem in the matchup.

So Olimar can just camp, throw pikmin, and pivot grab and stuff?

Top Bottom