• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Asa

Smash Hero
pivot grab
fsmash
pikmin toss
shield grab
whistle everything, but this scenario should never happen anyway cuz its zelda

any zelda you play should be swearing and crying the entire match

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
What the hell do you do against Zelda?
Learn how to shield her Fire. Or roll to avoid it. Don't try to approach her from above. Observe her Naryu's Wind (Reflector) habits, throw pikmin when she isn't going to do it, predict and punish her when she does do it. And try to not get Dsmashed, it really screws Oli up.

That's about it
...you win. That's what you do against Zelda.

I recall using Zelda against people who didn't know how to air dodge. Din's Fire was pretty much death for them o.
o
I've seen this happen before lol

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Down Tilt is a bigger problem. Might be Zelda's best move lolol. Stay away from her because if she lands a dtilt, it's an easy string into any of her three smashes.

Zoned

Smash Rookie
So, I'm just starting out with Olimar. I read the guide and I've begun practicing the things in it, so here's my question.

What do you think is the most important thing that a beginning Olimar should learn?

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
thats a good question. i found that after practice your general skills (di e.g.) get better with practice.

Get timing down for moves as well as figuring out the appropriate times to use them.
feel comfortable with pikmin toss, camping, and pikmin color coordination, I've learned that going on a rampage with white pikmin trying to usmash to punish never works... lol.
Also check out some dthrow combos/pseudo combos, they will help you rack up the damage quickly.

If you're gonna camp, spacing is very important, get a feel for oli's moves for it and find situations to use them in (stated above). So yeah that should give you some stuff to work on, there are other things too, I just said what imo are some good things to get down.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
So, I'm just starting out with Olimar. I read the guide and I've begun practicing the things in it, so here's my question.

What do you think is the most important thing that a beginning Olimar should learn?
No. PSI is wrong. The most important thing an beginning Olimar should learn is how to stop getting gimped by dumb ****.

Then comes all that other stuff :p

There are a lot of tricks to getting back on the stage and making sure you don't get gimped for something silly. First is remembering to save your second jump - you'd be surprised how much easier getting back to the stage is if you do. Second, whistle when you jump, and jump when you whistle - the two go hand in hand. The reason for this is that if someone hits you out of your second jump, you're basically dead (Wario is very good at this).

Also, if someone is on the ledge trying to hog it from you, you can A) Throw a purple at him if you have one at the front of your line or B) Attack him with Fair or Uair

There are other things but I don't want to throw too much at you at once ^_^

Zoned

Smash Rookie
Okay. So work on getting color coordinated and not getting gimped. Got it. Thanks. :)

Does it have to be a purple to knock someone off the ledge, or can any other color do it?

Blissard

Smash Lord
Okay. So work on getting color coordinated and not getting gimped. Got it. Thanks. :)

Does it have to be a purple to knock someone off the ledge, or can any other color do it?
@_@ Purples are the only one with knockback, so yeah only purples. But on the other hand, you can gimp the recoveries of certain characters by latching Pikmin onto them (aka non-purples). It stops stuff like Ness & Lucas's PK Thunder 2, Ike's Quick Draw, Pikachu's Skull Bash, WeeGee's Green Missile, etc.

Zoned

Smash Rookie
Thank you for clarifying. I knew that the others didn't have knockback, I just wondered if when they latched on and did damage if it removed characters from the ledge.

Obviously I have a lot to learn, lol.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
No. PSI is wrong. The most important thing an beginning Olimar should learn is how to stop getting gimped by dumb ****.

Then comes all that other stuff :p
Haha yeah forgot about that one xD

which is pretty much the most important thing, so idk how.

Now that I think about it, what should I do for momentum canceling if im gonna save my second jump, airdodge and fair or what?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Thank you for clarifying. I knew that the others didn't have knockback, I just wondered if when they latched on and did damage if it removed characters from the ledge.

Obviously I have a lot to learn, lol.
Watch videos, and a lot of them. We have a fantastic video thread (made by yours truly ;)) with many different matchups within, so you'll pick up a lot of things just by watching other people play and implementing things into your style.
Haha yeah forgot about that one xD

which is pretty much the most important thing, so idk how.

Now that I think about it, what should I do for momentum canceling if im gonna save my second jump, airdodge and fair or what?
Fair. It's the fastest. Don't use your second jump unless you absolutely will die unless you do.
Random note, blue pikmin fair beats tornado
Are you sure that it wasn't just the startup frames of Nado? I remember thinking once that purple Usmash beat it but it turned out that I just hit it in the early stages of the move, at which point it has very low priority (and possibly no hitbox?).

MiniTroika

Smash Journeyman

Watch videos, and a lot of them. We have a fantastic video thread (made by yours truly ;)) with many different matchups within, so you'll pick up a lot of things just by watching other people play and implementing things into your style.

Fair. It's the fastest. Don't use your second jump unless you absolutely will die unless you do.

Are you sure that it wasn't just the startup frames of Nado? I remember thinking once that purple Usmash beat it but it turned out that I just hit it in the early stages of the move, at which point it has very low priority (and possibly no hitbox?).
Nope. The MK was chasing me and I just faired through it with blue.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Nope. The MK was chasing me and I just faired through it with blue.
As I recall, aerials practically never, ever, ever beat out tornado unless it hits from the top. And I doubt that a blue would hit through anyway.

And Vocal, you said you were going to a tourney Saturday? >.< All I know that's coming up is DSO, which is Sunday, so idk if you just mixed the date or if there's another tourney.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
As I recall, aerials practically never, ever, ever beat out tornado unless it hits from the top. And I doubt that a blue would hit through anyway.

And Vocal, you said you were going to a tourney Saturday? >.< All I know that's coming up is DSO, which is Sunday, so idk if you just mixed the date or if there's another tourney.
Just mixed up the date :) OMG THIS MEANS I'M MEETING ANOTHER OLI MAIN! First Hilt, now you :)

Def gotta get a picture together

Oooo, and create an Olimar handshake. *brainstorms*

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
The olimar handshake obviously should be rotating your upper body like olimar does in his taunt :D

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
PSI, nope you have it wrong. After you get hit, start mashing Up Air as fast as you can, and start trying to fast fall. Start a fast fall right after the first up air ends. You don't need to air dodge.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
Oh my bad, I've been momentum canceling the wrong way for months now @_@
years right over here, didn't know about fastfall >_>

edit: hilt, can you test something for me? see how many characters we can dair out of ledge options (example, out of diddy's ledge jump below 100%, we have a guaranteed dair if we start the dair as diddy starts the ledge animation) IDK if it will only be jumps, or maybe even get up attacks or rolls, but it is very important to figure this out if it is indeed guaranteed

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Lol. Ok thanks hilt. Btw another question, I'm goin to my first tourney next month and I main ness as well as oli. First off advice for the tourney, then also what matchups should I use oli for and which ones should I not?
Use Olimar for everything.

You think I'm joking but I'm not :)

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Oh yeah i have a technique i learned from a ness guide that havnt seen anywhere on the oli boards, it could be useful if a reverse sh pikmin throw isnt an option but you still want to camp them/run away while you're doing it.

Basically, at any point during a dash you can turn around and pikmin throw.
As you are running, side b the direction you are running then very quickly push the other way on the control stick, its prone to screw up sometimes, but could be useful.

Idk, most likely already known just wanted to throw it out there in case it's not.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Ok i feel super n00bish for asking this question, but I've never really found a good explanation.

What is staling/refreshing/fresh all that stuff exactly, I have a pretty good idea of what it is but I'd like a true explanation for it.
Ok I can answer easy stuff like this :D Other people can do answer the strategy questions...

Basically, stale move negation means that, the more you use an attack, the weaker it'll become. The game records your input moves and places them in slots. There are 10 slots, each of which are assigned a value. I forget the exact formula/values, but the more recent you used a move, the higher the value is. You basically add up all of the values, and that's the total percent decay of the move. And, if you use more than 10 moves, it'll begin erasing the moves you first used.

The slots are erased when you respawn. Also, in the majority of cases, multi-hit moves only fill up one slot (however, there are exceptions, such as Marth's Dancing Blade and Zamus's usmash). In most cases, you want to refresh your moves, because if it's stale, the knockback and damage output it dramatically reduced. I think if all 10 slots were filled with the same attack, the knockback and damage would be reduced by 65%. And a side note, there are some moves not affected by stale move negation, and also, a fresh move (that's not on the list at all) does 5% more damage/knockback.

Last, us Oli's (aka Hilt) have just figured out that a staled usmash significantly increases the hitstun of yellow usmashes. This can lead to some true combos :) If you want the exact formula, I can also find it for you.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Edit (actually more like supplement...): lol I fail, I forgot to mention that they only get put into the slots when the move actually hits an opponent/breakable object (wario's bike, castle siege's pillars).

Top Bottom