• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
ROB tips: Don't listen to Fino when he comes here with the inevitable troll :) Ima let Hilt tackle that for real though, I'm not the guy to ask in this mu.

@PSI and Jane: The stale moves list is actually only 9 spaces long :lick: Other than that, Jane covered it pretty well. There are two implications from this.

1) Combo ability. Simple - stale moves won't send opponents as far, leading to better followup options (dealing less damage of course, though).

2) Kill ability. Simple - stale moves make it harder for you to kill. This is why you NEVER want to use your F/B/Uthrows for racking damage - when it comes time to kill you won't have the strength necessary. (There are exceptions like throwing people into hazards or throwing them away if you REALLY need to pick pikmin, but these should not be happening often.)

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
iirc there's this thread that has something about throwing and the tether in the title, there's lots of downthrow combos in there.

I'd link you to it but I'm gonna miss my bus at this rate

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Lol. Hey is there a thread for combos? right now im basically just using dthrow>usmash>uair and dthrow>fair... probably should get some more haha
Actually there are two threads right now. One titled "Combos Anyone" which I think just lists a bunch of combos and strings, and "The Use of Tether," talking about how you can tack tether onto just about any throw combo, and lists the combos. Plus you can also pick up combos by watching videos.

Jane

Smash Hero
if you can consistently short hop with tap jump, then i dont see any reasons why you would need to jump with a button

Blissard

Smash Lord
Question: Are there any reasons that I, as an Olimar player, should learn to use X and Y to jump as opposed to tap jump?
Yes. Mainly, it's hard to do uair strings because when you have tap jump on, when you jump and use uair, it'll count as 2 jumps (initial jump, + uair counts as a jump because you pressed up, aka tap jump). It's also hard to consistantly utilt and sh, especially when your hands start getting sweaty @_@

Jane

Smash Hero
i play with tap jump on and have no problems upairing and uptilting without accidentally jumping.
i dont jump with the control stick, but im just sayin, i play with it left on.

Blissard

Smash Lord
Yeah lol same here, but it got annoying when I used people like Peach and stuff, cause it's like "**** YOU CONTROL STICK I DIDN'T WANNA ****ING JUMP YOU (EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)(EXPLICIT)!!!!!!!!"

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I have jump relocated to the z button to make air attacking a lot easier.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it works wonders as soon as you get used to it, no more spastically moving your thumb around when jumping all over the place.

My index finger was just slacking off there anyway, I guard with L, and grab's relocated to Y now. :D

Blissard

Smash Lord
I suck because i go Wii-chuck, with D-pad set to smashes, except for down, which was changed to grab at Hilt's request.

And lol I <3 the sarcasm of the Oli boards...

-Jax

Smash Apprentice

I thought that's why X and A were so close to each other...
I guess it matters a whole lot more on ness because of pk jumping

...and of course personal preferences!

Can you guys get me some tips on managing your pikmin line?

Blissard

Smash Lord
I guess it matters a whole lot more on ness because of pk jumping
I thought that used B config C-stick...

And your second question...watch Brood play. Basically attacks only use Pikmin that are either at the front of end of the line. Remember which ones are which. Only other things to remember are which whistle you're on, and that dsmash shuffles 2 pikmin.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
Blissy you're thinking of firebounding. Yeah I have a question too, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if im doing the pivot techniques right or not, im pretty sure im not though, are there some vids for it and can someone explain it better to me

Dnyce

Smash Master
Blissy you're thinking of firebounding. Yeah I have a question too, I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out if im doing the pivot techniques right or not, im pretty sure im not though, are there some vids for it and can someone explain it better to me
Which pivot techniques?

Blissard

Smash Lord
Edit: Fino answered/You figured it out on your own, so nvm. It's sad that I research this game like 10x more than actually playing it @_@

Blissard

Smash Lord
Lol I asked Hilt-sama the same question a few days ago. There's a lot of things you can do. Here's a dandy list, though people should tell me if a missed a few:

-Ledge Attack(s)
-Roll from ledge
-Ledgedrop Uair (you'll see this alot in Oli videos) then jump/tether
-Ledgedrop-Jump > Purple Toss
-Ledgedrop-Jump > Whistle
-Ledgedrop-Jump > Fair (I don't do this often because, let's say you're playing Ike, he'll most likely Jab you first and take away your jump)
-Tether tricks/Plank (these are just stalls...the list of them is in another thread)
-Die

Alternate methods so that you're not predictable. Also, I see you're browsing the MK boards. Get off of there. NOW!
Edit: I feel conceited for answering these questions, so I'll take a break @_@

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Could you be able to ledgedrop -> tether utility belt through the platform and use the upwards momentum from the utility belt to hang from the ledge again?

In my head it seems like it'd work.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Could you be able to ledgedrop -> tether utility belt through the platform and use the upwards momentum from the utility belt to hang from the ledge again?

In my head it seems like it'd work.
Could you rephrase this? I don't quite understand the question right now

Denti

Smash Master

What stages are good to take GaW too? So far I like lylat the most, anywhere else amazing?

Don't say delfino or I'll murder you. :3
Zac's too good on Delfino.... even though I use to beat him there all the time before he became top player good, now I can't ever land or escape the water.
Don't say ps1 or fd also... because that would be lying XD

edit: I've been thinking about Rainbow cruise, am I crazy? I just imagine avoiding his juggle game there... which is my biggest issue.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Rainbow Cruise is a bad choice. If Pictochat is legal, it's an okay stage. You're right that FD is a bad option, I'd rather take him to Battlefield. Castle Siege is another good choice. Umm... I can't think of anything else, lol.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Could you rephrase this? I don't quite understand the question right now
If it's possible to tether through the platform, and because you move up a bit after using tether, if you could use that slight upwards motion to hang on the ledge again.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
If it's possible to tether through the platform, and because you move up a bit after using tether, if you could use that slight upwards motion to hang on the ledge again.
How can you tether through the platform? And why wouldn't a tether take you the ledge in the first place? I'm really confused about what it is that you're asking

Jane

Smash Hero
hes asking if you could let go of the ledge, use the tether, and make it go through the stage (im assuming on a stage like delfino where you can go up through the bottom), so you could use the tether offensively from the ledge like upair or something.

the answer is no, the tether will (usually) always grab the ledge if there is a ledge that is able to be grabbed

Blissard

Smash Lord
Gotta <3 Olimars. And also, if you wanted to hang on the ledge again...the tether does that, lol. No need for that upwards momentum crap. I thought you were talking about ledgedropping, then using upward momentum to land on the STAGE. Which idk if it works or not, since I haven't tried it...anyone to verify?

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Gotta <3 Olimars. And also, if you wanted to hang on the ledge again...the tether does that, lol. No need for that upwards momentum crap. I thought you were talking about ledgedropping, then using upward momentum to land on the STAGE. Which idk if it works or not, since I haven't tried it...anyone to verify?
idk if it's momentum, but it's called Instant Return. If you tether within 9 frames of ledge dropping you end up immediately on the stage.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I think I saw it either in a movie online but I checked all the vids I've watched, so I must've just dreamt it or something.

But what I meant was using the tether far away from the ledge, so the tether will go through the stage, and then using the slight upwards momentum the tether gives you to get back on the ledge, after the tether has gone through the stage and hit the opponent.

I'm going to try this a billion times to see if it works, I probably just imagined it somewhere.

Top Bottom