• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

Jane

Smash Hero
negga please. that aint technical, thats just him reading his opponent well. hes smart and fun to watch, but being technical is another thing entirely. this is just my opinion but i think brawl marth is one of the least technical characters

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
negga please. that aint technical, thats just him reading his opponent well. hes smart and fun to watch, but being technical is another thing entirely. this is just my opinion but i think brawl marth is one of the least technical characters
When I say technical, I mean knowing which moves have the proper trajectories to combo into other moves at what percent and where to position himself. There's a lot of information like that to memorize with Marth, hence why I call him technical. An important distinction, however, is that he's only necessarily technical at the top level, whereas lower level Marths will pay less attention to detail.

Jane

Smash Hero
what you just said applies to nearly all characters though. not just marth. and if we were to make a technicality tier list, i think marth would be low tier.

just saiyan

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
^actually there are much better comboers than mk, oli is one of them imo because of all the crap you can do to your opponents from dthrow and LC nair, if you know your pikmin line front and back (and everything in between) then you could combo people all day. (that is until they get high enough percent and you have a purple... hehe)

Blissard

Smash Lord
metaknight most technical character
^actually there are much better comboers than mk
I think Jax was kidding. If he wasn't...then that'd be a problem.

I'mma also take Vocal's side in the argument. Marth gets really really complex with combos and frame trapping at high levels. Low-leveled Marths get by with just spamming aerials and DB, which still kinda works...

And I think that pretty undeniably, IC's would take S-tier in that list...

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
how do we fight sonic?
Fino got 50% of it. An Fsmash guard keeps Sonic from dashing in and ruining Oli's day; it's pretty much impossible for Sonic to approach you from the ground if you have an Fsmash out. He can PS this and followup, however, so be careful; if he starts to do this, grabbing is good option :) 40% is Nair and Utilt, at least that's how I've done it. Nair/Utilt clashes with both his aerials and his specials, so it can counter nearly everything as long as you don't mistime it. The other 10% is the rest of Oli's moveset, especially with yellow pikmin - yellow Usmash, yellow Fair, and yellow Uair usually work quite well for me. Also, you want to throw very few pikmin in this mu; if you do it more than one pikmin at a time you're making yourself vulnerable to Sonic's amazing punishing skills. A general rule is don't jump unless you have a VERY good reason to.

This matchup is basically a contest of attrition, moreso than others. Sonic will be employing his hit-and-run tactics and you'll be trying to build damage by countering his approaches and tacking on a little extra damage with latched pikmin here and there.

I kinda feel like the Sonic's I've played aren't good enough, but this has worked for me thus far.

Dnyce

Smash Master
OH, fyi... if sonic starts his spindash on a ledge like yoshi's island or pictochat, just avoid him. He's invincible ;o

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
OH, fyi... if sonic starts his spindash on a ledge like yoshi's island or pictochat, just avoid him. He's invincible ;o
BUT your Dtilt clanks with it. Use that how you will, but don't rely on it too often or the Sonic might just bait it and cancel it into a jump

Asa

Smash Hero
i was planning on banning yoshi's island

cuz i dont wat that gay **** up in my house

and picto's not used in my area, so yay for no invincibility

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
i was planning on banning yoshi's island

cuz i dont wat that gay **** up in my house

and picto's not used in my area, so yay for no invincibility
DEFINITELY ban Yoshi's. Personally I'd also ban FD, because if he gets you up in the air on FD it's a little hard to get back down. That may just be personal preference, however.

Asa

Smash Hero
naw fd aint bad

i'll just whistle everything he does

but that's another good topic.. stages? i feel like battlefield and halberd would be good choices

Dnyce

Smash Master
I ban PS1 against sonic. Purple pikmin also beats it, but you can just jump and it's like impossible to hit you. I ban PS1 cause it's the best time out stage <.<

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
hey when i dthrow someone and they di away from me what should i follow up with? i know utility belt, usmash, and fair don't work on it right after i throw them, but sometimes if i chase/read their airdodge (if thats what they do) i can get them with it. What should i do in this situation? just go back and camp? no followup? or what?

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The biggest thing against Sonic with any character is to remember to not chase him. If you have to travel a moderately long distance, don't try. Don't do anything that he can punish because he will punish it, he's fast enough to get anywhere your lag ends. He's going to try to do hit and run, so throw out walls for him to have to go through, and only punish mistakes that are close range. It's a different and weird matchup so it'll take some practice. Fsmash is better than grab in this matchup, but both are still good.

Dnyce

Smash Master
You know, if someone has an answer to this I'd love to hear it too. Projectiles are not the issue for me - it's that **** Zair
If you watch how TL uses zair the first few times you're hit with it, it's likely they're going to be using it almost the exact same way for the rest of the set. This applying to J3rm, Hyr0, J@sh, MJG.

Zair can combo into grab which is really annoying, to avoid this jump if they zair approach. If they use retreating zair and try to do zair-grab, you should have enough time to respond to it.

Spaced red/yellow fsmash beats zair from below. When you have the spacing down for it, most of the time you will end up trading hits.

Asa

Smash Hero
ddd can't cg oli

falco - you could try to jump out of it, but be careful cuz you might get grabbed again and you'll be w/o a jump. If this does happen, whistle the dair or smash di into the stage to prevent dying

icies - at low percents, mash extremely hard to get out of the grab if you see that you're gonna get grabbed, start mashing before you get grabbed. this will buffer inputs that will let you get out faster.

however, at mid-high percents, you're kinda ****ed lol

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
hey whats the best thing to do when getting chain grabbed (falco and ic mainly, but also ddd...) Like should i try to dj (i know this is a bad idea), fair or nair? whistle? or what.
DDD can't actually cg Olimar, though he can tech chase to an extent. In most occasions, teching back up in place is a bad idea, as it allows him to grab you again for free. Teching towards him is also usually a bad idea, as if he reads it then you're going to get punished for it. Teching away will usually be the best option. also, if he grabs you close to a ledge, he's going to Dthrow you and start charging a Dsmash - if you tech in place or tech towards him, you WILL get hit with it. Sometimes you can't even tech away from it because there isn't enough room :/ It's called the Buuman Trap, and it's hurts a lot. The More You Know!

Against both Falco and Icies, the two best things to do are

A) Mash (hopefully out) at low percents

B) Mash air dodge

If you try to jump, you put yourself at a big risk; if you get grabbed again then you've robbed yourself of a recovery move, and if they hit you afterwards you're stuck in the same situation and possibly headed off stage. Jumping away is situational at best.

Oh, and if you get CG > Dair Spiked by Falco, you can cancel it and save yourself with UpB, though you have to wait a fraction of a second for your pikmin to realize you're plummeting downwards. Or you can be pro and SDI it like Asa said :)

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Remember that when Popo first grabs you, he has to wait a moment for Nana to catch up, unless it was from a shield grab. This makes mashing out of the initial grab a lot easier than mashing out of the following grabs.

Dnyce

Smash Master
Remember that when Popo first grabs you, he has to wait a moment for Nana to catch up, unless it was from a shield grab. This makes mashing out of the initial grab a lot easier than mashing out of the following grabs.
Buffer dthrow + nana dash grab > this idea

Also, a lot of ICs still like to kill with usmash out of a CG. SDI down and try to tech the stage.

Jane

Smash Hero
no, you cant

edit- at least in melee lol, im not entirely sure about in brawl. but in melee you cant sdi -> tech

Dnyce

Smash Master
Well that's what I meant. This is very good to know. So even if my trajectory is straight up, I could hypothetically SDI to the ground and tech?
You have to be in the air to SDI into the ground - otherwise you can't tech. Worse case scenario you hard-land onto the ground and buffer a move to get the **** away, lol.

You ever up-smash someone and they end up hitting the ground? Same concept.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

You have to be in the air to SDI into the ground - otherwise you can't tech. Worse case scenario you hard-land onto the ground and buffer a move to get the **** away, lol.

You ever up-smash someone and they end up hitting the ground? Same concept.
Oh yea, that's what it was! I was asking if hypothetically a person could get hit while standing, SDI up, then SDI back down to tech the stage. This makes sense

Dnyce

Smash Master
Oh yea, that's what it was! I was asking if hypothetically a person could get hit while standing, SDI up, then SDI back down to tech the stage. This makes sense
As physically impossible as it would be to do that, even going frame by frame the game will not let you.

Tesh

Smash Hero
When olimar uses a smash, he doesn't suffer hitlag right? only the pikmin does? So how does this affect the safety of his moves on block?

Top Bottom