• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louie's Notes-Olimar Q&A Thread!!

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
^ that's kind of what I was wondering.

Didn't have time to test it today Spent most of the day playing WoW so I'll do it at school tomorrow.

Blissard

Smash Lord
You crossed out the wrong part of that statement -_-; But I just got my Wii back, so I'll test it in a bit after homework's finished though I already know the answer.

Blissard

Smash Lord
>.< I've been hearing alot about grounded tethers lately. Is it a good offensive option, or too risky? Last time I used it, the opponent was hit the first time, then they got extra cautious about it and tether got punished there-after.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
>.< I've been hearing alot about grounded tethers lately. Is it a good offensive option, or too risky? Last time I used it, the opponent was hit the first time, then they got extra cautious about it and tether got punished there-after.
It's a very tricky move to use. There isn't really a "Do this when opponent is at X place doing Y" that applies to it, so you have to think about it a bit more. It's best to first find a habit your opponent has (empty short hops for example) and then use it to punish that habit. It shouldn't be a constant move, however, as it does leave you extremely open if you miss.

Also, once you get them to be extra cautious you could also take advantage of their new playstyle; for instance, if the person is second jump dodging it, you can run up, predict their second jump, and SH Uair him.

I haven't been able to apply things lately but I still know my way around grounded tether ^_^

Jane

Smash Hero
QUESTION FOR EVERYONE

when running around, trying to punish your opponents landing or what-have-you, do yall upsmash with the cstick or up+A?

i almost always csticked all my smashes (except for when intentionally trying to charge for whatever reason), but i was playing earlier and i feel that upsmashing with the control stick and A feels a tiny bit faster. but that tiny bit made a difference.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Today my C-stick stopped responding in 1 match and I ragequitted the game because I couldn't beat the CPU without it. :(

Jane

Smash Hero
hilt, i think there is a few frame difference just because pressing up+A will take less time than moving your thumb to the cstick and flicking it upwards.

i believe this to be true because, when i use ganon, sometimes accidentally ill try to thunder stomp by jumping and downairing with the cstick instead of A. usually, this will fail and the stomp will not autocancel because it wasnt as fast as down+A. its not impossible (thunderstomping with the cstick), but you really have to concentrate on moving your thumb fast for it to work.

basically what im saying is, you might be able to upsmash a few frames faster with up+A. and since you can upsmash virtually at any time, in the heat of battle, i think those few frames make a difference.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
^ Exactly why my jump is set to Z, so I can do that stuff without spastically flinging my thumb to the c-stick all the time.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
Getting a banana chucked at my face. WHISTLE!!
ooh just found out that if you utility belt right after a throw, the pikmin you used to throw them is at the front of your line still. tested it multiple times :D

lol is it bad that i practice on level 9's?
and how can i tell what pikmin is in front when im standing still

Slain Avenger

Smash Ace
Hi, I've been a Falco main for around a year but recently decided to pick up Olimar. He's awesome and balances quite well to most of my bad match ups. However, I have very few experience and guides aren't really helping much. Basically, what should I start paying attention to now that I'm using olimar? Any special moves I should try and learn or stuff like that.

Also, pertaining the CPU question, I personally get very very rusty if I play level 9s. They make you over confident sometimes and you get accustomed to punishing stuff actual players guard against very well. However, I do no people who practice on CPU's regularly. Might just be that I suck, most probably, but personally I wouldn't recommend it.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Use Level 3 Computers. Don't think of them as a competent opponent. They're a moving target that doesn't shield very often, use them to work on spacing. It's your mindset going into the battle that's important. Go in thinking that you have things to work on, not that you have an opponent that you have to beat.

As for what you should work on for basics. Get grabbing down first, it's one of your easiest and best tools. Get pivot grabbing down and perfect your grab combos (dthrow -> usmash and dthrow -> fair). Familiarize yourself with the qualities of the five pikmin. If you can get sme videos recorded, it would be easier for us to help you and direct you on what you should work on. There's just too many things to work on with Olimar.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I used to pwn against CPUs but now that I started playing against other people more often I get my asss handed to me by the CPU because they play in such a weird manner.

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
^this is something i've wondered for a while...
can you tell or do you just have to know from the last time you were running/tethered or whatever
I think it's something like the one standing behind Oli in the front, but to be honest that's not always accurate. It's best to remember which it was; not like Oli will be standing still long anyways :)

Dnyce

Smash Master
I play against level 9s with a 200% handicap. Also Rich said he plays in training mode with the CPU set to run.

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
I think it's something like the one standing behind Oli in the front, but to be honest that's not always accurate. It's best to remember which it was; not like Oli will be standing still long anyways :)
well, that works i guess haha i can probably just sh pikmin throw (after checking which one it its) if im not sure at times (my mind wanders alot... need to work on that lol)

and does anyone know why my sig won't work?

Hilt Edit: Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee?

Blissard

Smash Lord
Hilt always puts large amounts of unnecessary letters in his words.

It's part of his duty as a smod. Along with proving that Day isn't selfish @_@

Edit: I'm still looking over who covers Oli well. The obvious choices are IC's, D3, and Marth, where Oli/IC's are overused, and Oli/D3 is you, lol. Might try Marth. I would use Pikachu, but Marth dominates him. Why does Marth have near non-existant bad MU's?

Dnyce

Smash Master

Edit: I'm still looking over who covers Oli well. The obvious choices are IC's, D3, and Marth, where Oli/IC's are overused, and Oli/D3 is you, lol. Might try Marth. I would use Pikachu, but Marth dominates him. Why does Marth have near non-existant bad MU's?
If you're white you can play Ice Climbers.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
The reason DDD is a pretty good choice is because he doesn't take a whole lot of work. Olimar does take a lot of work, so having a strong DDD, or even a pocket DDD, isn't a bad idea, since he covers quite a few matchups that, while being doable, are difficult for some Olimars (especially lower or mid level Olimars).

Pikachu covers Olimar really, really well but takes a long while to get good, because you really have to mold yourself into becoming a Pika Main lol.

But yeah, Marth is a good idea but you rarely see people solidly secondary marth, and I think there's a reason for it lol. ICs aren't a bad idea at all.

Blissard

Smash Lord
If you're white you can play Ice Climbers.
:( Now I can't play Ice Climbers anymore.

I really do like Pikachu, but he also gets ***** by Marth. I'm not good at the Marth mu in general. Any tips? :laugh: It's hard to get past the flurry of aerials, and Marth spaces extremely well, so I usually can't get grabs in.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Don't try to "get grabs in". Make him fall into them. That's an important thing with Olimar. Don't use grab to punish too much, use it as a trap that the opponent falls into.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
What is the best method is SDI out of Your uptilts and nair :>

Nair is 6 hits correct?

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I hate Ice Climbers, I'm never able to grab those *****es without getting punished >: (

PSI.kick

Smash Lord
is diddy an ok choice for a team idk cuz my friend and i seemed to do pretty well this weekend with them, i mainly punished w/ usmash for kills zoom in and pwn them and he has a lot of stage control, i think the way we were playing was double carry lol with me being a tad bit more of a stock tank...

Greward

Smash Lord
I play against level 9s with a 200% handicap. Also Rich said he plays in training mode with the CPU set to run.
i do the same but 300% handicap

i think of it more as a defensive option, its not a good option for approaching

-Vocal-

Smash Hero

Because he'd be best/second best in the game if MK didn't exist. Circular reasoning you say?

Nah :p

That said, he's extremely technical to play well, and requires quite a bit of studying his frame traps and combos. I'd go with DDD. Or just stick it out with Oli :D
What is the best method is SDI out of Your uptilts and nair :>

Nair is 6 hits correct?
I think Hilt found that different hits of Nair have different trajectories attached to them...meaning we really don't know :laugh:

-Vocal-

Smash Hero
Look at this guy and then tell me he aint technical. There's also this if you're looking for a specific match; though there are better ones out there I couldn't locate them. Love that guy's Marth

Top Bottom