• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

lol hi - A Guide to Sheik/Zelda

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Chok, I like you, but in the future refrain from talking about your unrelated topic in my topic. This guide has nothing to do with your sonnet. By your logic, you could post that same post in every topic in the Zelda boards.

Again, keep responses to the last relevant post, (Din Hopping and FS Cancel) or something guide-related.

Bandit

Smash Lord
Din hopping may be a decent way to attack & hug the ledge in one move. You throw out a protective fireball and drop to the edge.

A PT I face regularly has to throw projectiles to knock me off the ledge if he wants to recover with ivysaur. The fireball could eliminate the projectile while you take the ledge. It seems situational but until I try it in competition I can't think of another use for it at the moment.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Usually with me it's accidental. I know when it's gonna happen because of when I used Din, but I never really intentionally use it.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i get off topic easily

sorry sinkinghigher

or are you flying lower?

too goodz

ok so zelda is pretty good

and i think dins fire should be renamed flaming orgasm

cuz zelda has the pleasure

and throws it out in magical form

sometimes u can throw flaming orgasms defensively by running away and then turning around to do it

the pleasure stops ur momentum

its a good spacing tool too, esp. if ur opponent is on the other side

its usually safe unless their roll is crazy like lucarios

then they can dodge the sexplosion with a roll toward u and then utilt

but anyway din's is pretty good

what's fs cancel?

Bandit

Smash Lord
Usually with me it's accidental. I know when it's gonna happen because of when I used Din, but I never really intentionally use it.
I should be getting together with the PT player tonight or tomorrow, so I'll try it out. I'm not sure beyond blocking his projectiles that it would be useful, but it is worth throwing out there to see how he responds.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I should be getting together with the PT player tonight or tomorrow, so I'll try it out. I'm not sure beyond blocking his projectiles that it would be useful, but it is worth throwing out there to see how he responds.
Test is out first though. If it goes wrong you're dead.

Xebenkeck

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if you guys know this but zelda's uair can hit through t the bottom of FD. All you do is DI backwards of the stage , double jump under the ledge and use uair at the same time, then FW back to the ledge.

Bandit

Smash Lord
With Uair killing so low, that would be a nice kill, but if you miss, then you are pretty easily gimped in the situation. I wonder how many people would fall for that the first time...

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I usually just ledge-drop and u-air on my way back up the ledge. If they're edgeguarding and the opportunity arises, it's a good technique, imo. This way you can FW onto the stage. Punished >> Gimped.

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
I watched a couple Zelda-vids on youtube where I saw:
Rising SH nair > NL, which I was totally oblivious to before ^^

Now Iv'e started to do it quite often.

I'm curious of what more you can do after Rising SH nair? any good follow ups?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Dtilt, bair once you DI behind your opponent, another nair.....*shrugs* I really don't use this tactic much because of nairs crappy priority. The AC is nice though.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
If you can pull of the NL near an edge, you can get a spike.

I often catch people with a U-smash after a SHFFn-air. If I'm lucky I can jump slightly to the side an SHb-air sweetspot, follow by Din.

ONCE, omg once, I went n-air, running U-smash, b-air sweetspot, Din. By the time they got close to the ledge I had already ledgewarped and spike for the win! 0% DMG.

God I almost cried that day.

VSion

Smash Cadet
=o So much to learn here~ I'll be able to beat you now, Sinking =P Speaking of uairs, I was able to uair KO a grounded Snake while falling back down to the stage. Is it possible to pull this off on slightly shorter characters?

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
I've done it to yoshi and the Sandbag.

I don't believe it works on GW sizes or shorter. I could be wrong.

Much of this information isn't really useful except for being flashy.

If anything, though, it should show you what an underestimated move NL is, and that in moderation, FW has many uses. Also, running U Smash is win.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hey guys. Long time no updates.

I was just fooling around on WiFi and I realised how I did something I mentioned somewhere on here a long time ago.

After a jab, if you time a dash attack to be executed IMMEDIATELY after the last jab orb appears, you can catch someone in hitstun from the jab. Basically (from what I can tell so far) this is a lock.

Possibilities include:

Jab > Dash attack > Spike
Jab > Dash attack > Dash attack > Aerial or some sort.
Jab > Dash attack > Running U-smash.

Please note that third phase attacks are likely but not guaranteed. Proper spacing and timing is required here.

etc...

You can also have a lagless interval between the last jab and f-tilt. I haven't tried it out with other moves but im sure there is more to be discovered.

I hope this wasn't already known/is useful. I managed to spike a Ness using this (that's how I discovered it) so yay for another method of setting up a spike! :D

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I think some people have figured out that jab sets up for spikes, but this is still good to know nonetheless. I think it stops helping at higher %s, but I am not sure.

Kataefi

*smoke machine*
sinking! you're guide is great! we should play again sometime ^^ also jab is lagless with every single move! but I didn't know that jab causes enough hitstun for a dash attack =D good stuff!

Dihan

Smash Apprentice
I apologise if this is old and in the wrong place - I did a quick search but I couldn't find anything about it - but if you do Nayru's Love and immediately tap the opposite direction. I tested it on a few characters and for most I could do more damage than the normal 10% damage:

Snake - 11%
Pikachu - 14%
Dedede - 10%
Falco - 15%
Mr Game and Watch - 12-13%

It's also difficult to tell which way Zelda is facing so it could be good for mindgames. The only way it's not useful is that you have to be really up close, otherwise they'll only be hit by the outer edge of it. I guess it could be used from a short-hop from directly above, but I haven't tested that.

Anyway, this is probably really old so I'll apologise again.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
No need for apologies. I haven't heard of this before.

However, it seems to me it has nothing to do with B-reversals. I think it's simply where you are in relation to each other. If you can show us a video or something that would be good.

Thanks for the information though, all theories or data are welcome.

Dihan

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any way of recording unless I use my rubbish camera. I'll see what I can do though.

EDIT: I slowed the game down to 1/2 speed to see exactly where to hold the opposite direction and there's a point in the first few frames where Zelda just holds her arms up before twirling. It's at that point where you flick the control stick in the other direction. It can also be done in the air, so it could be used as a way to do the B-Reversed Nayru's Glide thing without accidentally setting off Din's Fire.

I also found that if you hit them with the very edge of NL whilst turning around, they'll land right by your feet ready for a dsmash... For Falco at least. This is all probably possible by simply having your back facing them, but by doing this you can control the direction in which they'll be thrown and possibly get them to mess up DI at the same time.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hi all. Long time no updates on the Zelda side.

I was playing some friendlies with Kat and I FW'd from off stage (directly level with FD's lip, on the left side) and hit the ledge. I started falling so I figured I had just missed the ledge or something and accepted my fate. But I noticed that Zelda wasn't flashing so I FW'd again from below the stage and grabbed the ledge.

I noticed a tiny stall which I just passed off as unusual when I missed the ledge. I tried to recreate it and managed to get the same stall (with slight controller vibration) but held right and grabbed the ledge. This time, though, I jumped and FW'd at a 45 degree angle down to the left lip of FD. From what I could tell I did it again.

What this tells me is that there is a small invisible type of lip (at least on FD--possibly the same one that Mario's cape can find) that you can ledgewarp too. Unfortunately if you can get to it from the first FW it's likely it won't have a lot of super recovery uses, just some mindgames.

Both times I held down just before reappearing, as if to immediately let go of the ledge when Zelda grabs it. I heard she has strange properties when invisible, so it might be related to that.

I'll have to test it offline though.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Did you ever figure this out?
Assuming you're talking about what SinkingHigher said, I think it's just related to the FD ledge glitch.... sometimes if you recover on FD and end up under/near the ledge but don't make it, you'll get your recovery back.

Happens with Pika's QA sometimes. If I accidentally QA up under the lip, I'll occasionally get another QA..... I've had it happen with one or two other characters as well. Second chances ftw.

So far as I know, this happens only on FD, and it's random/impossible to tell exactly where it happens, so it's not useful at all.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Assuming you're talking about what SinkingHigher said, I think it's just related to the FD ledge glitch.... sometimes if you recover on FD and end up under/near the ledge but don't make it, you'll get your recovery back.

Happens with Pika's QA sometimes. If I accidentally QA up under the lip, I'll occasionally get another QA..... I've had it happen with one or two other characters as well. Second chances ftw.

So far as I know, this happens only on FD, and it's random/impossible to tell exactly where it happens, so it's not useful at all.
I think it is believed that the person recovering actually tries to grab the ledge, but misses, giving the same effect of if you had of grabbed onto the ledge then dropped back down.

I wonder if you get your second jump back then...?

sasook

Smash Champion
I noticed there's no vid of ledge warping. If you reeeally want, you can say

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3g_PiQZS6U at 0:25"

You don't have to though.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Hm. Odd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVzTV6IBiDw

There's a link to the video. It's not that great though.

A lot of information in this thread is outdated or just doesn't matter anymore. I haven't updated it in months, and Sheik and Zelda have both changed since the last update. A new guide is apparently on the way, though.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
No I won't. Iirc DarkMusician will be making a guide of sorts, hopefully it will replace this one.

It might be a good idea to delete this thread to get people interested in making a new guide. I don't think enough people know that there's a spot open.

If anyone is interested and has the time, by all means go ahead and create a new guide. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
I'm aware of where it's located. haha. I was trying to make a joke, that Brawl+ is better, but that's a matter of opinion.

Top Bottom