• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Link's Take Over - Q&A and General Link Discussion

Grape Ape

Smash Apprentice
What is the point to a moonwalked bomb throw? I was screwing around with link and can do it fairly consistantly. It seems to go further than normal but it's probably my imagination.

:phone:

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
I'd like to nip this in the bud right now: the best advice for all o'yalls is to know where, when, and how each attack hits. This means experimentation which means lots and lots of friendlies with people of equal or greater skill level.
As for "I found [x funky thing], what can I do with it?" questions, the set answer is "It's something to switch things up with. It is important for Link to know how to be able to throw in a few curve balls to keep the opponent a little more weary, but throwing out random shiz is just not productive."
Ursper: It's pretty pointless because if you have time to moonwalk and then throw a bomb, you have enough time to throw a boomerang, which is way more useful when the opponent's that far away anyway.
Cyner: nair. That is the answer. Nair combos into and out of anything. Set up combos so they end in a spin or dair. You learn how to effectively do the stuff in between by experimentation, as duckpimp and many others have said, and videos, as Bigglestheman and the rest of the boards suggests.

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
You should b.) say them here

Also I'm new to smashboards and now that I'm driving I'm going to try to go to monthlies in sacramento, and I really want to give Link maining a shot there because at this point he's one of my best characters and he's really fun to play as...

Anyways I've been perusing the stickies and I've taken notes on what I know I need practice on, but I had sort of a general question... so here it is:

When I get into situations where my enemy is vulnerable, like a missed rest or a broken shield or a stand up or something like that, basically when they've been caught flat-footed, what's a good way to punish them? It seems it's my habit to just SH a lot of nairs but it seems like I could do better there... I was thinking maybe if they're totally stopped but not at death percentage dtilt would be a good idea to launch them up a bit to possibly land a dair on them while they're airborne? Thoughts and opinions?

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
First of all, make sure to SHFFL those nairs (Short Hop, Fast Fall, L-cancel) or you'll be the one getting punished. As for how to punish others, that's what this game is about. Most of what happens in smash is dancing around trying to skrew up the other person's spacing while keeping yourself safe, then coming in and beating the tar out of them. This goes back and forth until one of you wins.
As for the punishing itself, it's reeeeeally situation oriented. For example, Falcon's heavy and a fast faller, so dash attack is pretty useless until pretty high %. Nairs are very good, yes, but you need to be able to follow up on them. Upb is good, but only if they're close and you have enough time. Mostly it's a grab though. Pretty much anything is a good punish in the under the right circumstances.
As for rests and stuff, the usual is throw a rang past them, charge up an f-smash, hit the jigg into the returning rang, then hit them with the second slash. Problem2 suggested a point-blank rang to the face followed by a dair.

Edit: Also, dtilt's terrible. Go with dsmash.

Pun: What percussion instrument does Link play?

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
I feel like the pun is going to involve triangles...

My first thought on dsmash vs dtilt is that the smash, although it comes out faster, has the second slash, and by the time it's over the enemy is already floating away or back on the ground depending on their weight... I'm trying to use it as a combo starter like the dash attack but it seems like it doesnt work well for me iirc.

I left my gamecube at home though and won't be able to get on to verify this until tomorrow evening...

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
It seems all Link plays is...

SNAIR!

We're lucky enough to have a good frame-data thread. You might want to check it out.

Here's one for parties:

How much damage does the ball-and-chain do?

squirrels4ev

Smash Apprentice
I did give the frame data thread a quick once-over, but I'll go back to compare the two moves... I definitely like dtilt for the meteor hitboxes against slow recoveries when edgeguarding... (especially falcon, my friend likes to play him)

No idea on that pun...except possibly 69%, but it's a stretch...

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
Enough to break the ice, I'm an apple.

The meteor on the dtilt isn't really worth it. It's weak and therefore easily canceled, so don't rely on it too heavily. As for falcon, nairs are great. That goes for all of the fast fallers really. If he isn't sweet spotting, however, go for the upb. I used to try for the dtilt but I saw that the hitboxes that meteor not only don't go below the stage, but also have a lower priority than the one that hits downward.

More of a riddle, but, as promised, still pretty dang stupid:
Link tried to play LeafGreen and needed the volcano badge. Why, when he used surf, did he only make it half way to the island?

DexFu

Smash Rookie
Link vs. YL

Can I get anyone's opinion's on why they think Link is ranked higher on the tier system than Young Link? I honestly can't figure it out.

MALVM MALVM

Smash Apprentice
YL has difficulty killing things. He runs around faster and chucks stuff faster and more accurately, but you sacrifice power and range for speed. Link can also live for waaaaay longer.

It's 'cuz he can't wavedash. (geddit? surf? WD?)

Link got arrested for stealing hundreds of doors. When a cop caught him, he looked stunned and said:

"Someone told me they were ajar!"

SinisterB

Smash Champion
Slippi.gg
SINS#333
NNID
shadymaiden
What up fellow Links

I recently got into the melee scene here & mained Falco for awhile, but I realized I needed to go back to my roots and go full out swag. So now i'm just chilling, getting my Link back up to baller status, incorporating my playstyle & ATs this time around.

Any common knowledge Link stuff I should know?

:linkmelee:

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
Can I get anyone's opinion's on why they think Link is ranked higher on the tier system than Young Link? I honestly can't figure it out.
Link generally does better against mid tiers, and he does better against Marth.
They both get ***** by spacies, Sheik and Falcon, YL is better against Puff, YL is slightly better against Peach.
I'd say Link just has overall slightly better MUs. The fact he has an easier time killing and has more range helps too. YLs speed is great for combos, camping and mindgames, but being able to get that kill is still very important. Certain characters are also gonna force him to approach, and he has a rougher time doing that than Link.

Alex21

Smash Rookie
I ddidn't know where i coulds post this, so i do here :

We know that Link is waveshinable, so the MU vs fox on DF is complicated. But this week I noticed that you can fall and tech with a shine. Just SDI Down and Away and Link will fall ! In my mind, it changes a lot the MU for Fox, he won't be able to waveshine you. I don't know if you already knew that, but I think it's good to tell this. :)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I ddidn't know where i coulds post this, so i do here :

We know that Link is waveshinable, so the MU vs fox on DF is complicated. But this week I noticed that you call fall and tech with a shine. Just SDI Down and Away and Link will fall ! In my mind, it changes a lot the MU for Fox, he won't be able to waveshine you. I don't know if you already knew that, but I think it's good to tell this. :)
If this really works, that is revolutionary for the match-up, but for something like that being discovered this late in melee's lifespan makes me question if it is true. I'll give a try next time I'm playing my friends.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I think link does a better job controlling center stage than younglink. Both characters require that skill for most mu imo so I think that gives link the competitive edge

Alex21

Smash Rookie
If this really works, that is revolutionary for the match-up, but for something like that being discovered this late in melee's lifespan makes me question if it is true. I'll give a try next time I'm playing my friends.

Yeah I'm sorry I don't have any video to prove you that, I will play again in the week to verify the direction of the right DI. But at my last session, my friend didn't waveshine me at all because I falled away to grab the ledge or tech with each shine, it was so cool :bee: I'll try to record it next time !

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Yeah I'm sorry I don't have any video to prove you that, I will play again in the week to verify the direction of the right DI. But at my last session, my friend didn't waveshine me at all because I falled away to grab the ledge or tech with each shine, it was so cool :bee: I'll try to record it next time !
If this works, being as Link is one of the characters that travels the shortest distance, this could affect a lot of other characters too such as Marth, C. Falcon, and Peach.

But let's just keep it a secret for the Link players ;)

NNID
dansalvato
If this works, being as Link is one of the characters that travels the shortest distance, this could affect a lot of other characters too such as Marth, C. Falcon, and Peach.

But let's just keep it a secret for the Link players ;)
It doesn't work in my testing, but I find that if you SDI away and hold shield, you can get your shield up mid-waveshine if the opponent isn't fast enough.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Yeah, it shouldn't work. I've tried and tried, and finally someone explained to me that if a move doesn't knock you down, you can't DI it up or down anyways. Only left or right, which is what you should be doing anyways.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
What's your favorite punish/read situations for link. I personally enjoy people approaching/rolling into link from behind and catching them with reverse utilts. I'm curious as to what most link players use aside from that. I think links tech-chasing and patience play should go under microscope once again.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
up-B is a legit punish but I use it less since I've found myself bomb teching recoveries more and more.

Theftz22

Smash Lord
Anybody else with NTSC 1.0 like to super jump after a kill and then rain down bombs while avoiding their invincibility frames? It's actually semi-useful, but more importantly awesome and flashy.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I've decided that Link/Falco is really quite manageable if you play carefully.
Falco is light and easy to combo, and he's basically ****ed if you hit him with the right part of skraaaa near an edge at any percent.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I actually like link falco only a 60- 40 dis imo. Also I had a chance to test out bombdrop --> airdodge --> hookshot on legit fox players. It helps link vs fox tons!

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I'm never gonna like Link/Fox, he's too damn fast, and his upsmash completely negates the advantage of Link being heavy.

Goast

Smash Journeyman
I took taki's fox down to his last stock in friendlies this weekend with link. You just have to play super cheap. Space everything and look for hard reads. The MU is manageable if you play patient. Links game is not about speed so all you have to do is make the situation difficult for fox to capitalize on that aspect. Then it becomes a battle where link is favored.

BRLNK88

Smash Ace
I actually fall to pieces with Link when I get pressured really hard, period.
I played a couple friendlies against Vudujin last weekend, in about half a second he's in your face comboing you.

Top Bottom