• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Match-up Thread

D

Deleted member

Honest question here, but how does Mario reliably get a grab on Link?
by positioning himself just outside of zair range, waiting for a boomerang, sh bairing through the boomerang, wavelanding jab to grab. as mario you basically have to just keep closing the gap while avoiding his projectiles. when mario is on top of you it can be hard to get him off in this game.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
This is exactly what I thought would work, and it just didn't, literally tried everything, when me and M2K played friendlies we went to FD and he told me to try getting out of it, I spent the entire time trying lol nothing worked, then he just abused that in our match in GF, I knew I was screwed so I just messed around with secondaries the last 2 matches
..You taught M2K how to beat you?

What is wrong with you man ;_;

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
..You taught M2K how to beat you?

What is wrong with you man ;_;
Well I mean if it works then it would've been found out eventually, I'd rather win with my opponent knowing everything they can possibly do, think about as I evolved the metagame at light speed, but yea I just really screwed myself over lol

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well I mean if it works then it would've been found out eventually, I'd rather win with my opponent knowing everything they can possibly do, think about as I evolved the metagame at light speed, but yea I just really screwed myself over lol
You are supposed to evolve your own metagame not his :p hahaha. I understand what you mean though.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Yeah, it's gonna be tough. Mario can force you in a corner with those fireballs and jab your shield where you must roll or be grabbed.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
You are supposed to evolve your own metagame not his :p hahaha. I understand what you mean though.
Ugh I know lol, I really just want a Link to win a large tournament, I don't care who it is haha

Yeah, it's gonna be tough. Mario can force you in a corner with those fireballs and jab your shield where you must roll or be grabbed.
Dude I know it's nuts, the boomerang is good enough to negate fireballs/pills coming at you from the ground, but when Mario does a full jump, he can shoot 2 fireballs and manage to get an aerial out on your shield, then jab -> grab, I don't know what to do lol, I'll have to figure something out

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You need to jab a lot, it kills the fireballs and outranges most of marios moves. You have to use it smartly though cause if you just spam it won't work obviously.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
You need to jab a lot, it kills the fireballs and outranges most of marios moves. Have you use it smartly though cause if you just spam it won't work obviously.
Maybe this is why I was confused. I jab a lot, and it really shuts down Mario's options. If he approaches from above, utilt or smash, otherwise, zone him out with sword. *shrug*

I mean, I don't think it's a horrible matchup, but I do think Link wins it pretty handily

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What does Link do about Lucas?
It seems like he can barrel in on me even AFTER I hit him.
I think Link is lucas's worst match-up >_>. You just hit him and then he dies lol. Never let him recover by just nairing any of his recovery options, if you grab him you can chaingrab into utilt fair or just nair him offstage. Spam nair a lot as it beats his entire moveset and CC a lot.

Shin_Mazinkaiser

Smash Journeyman
I think Link is lucas's worst match-up >_>. You just hit him and then he dies lol. Never let him recover by just nairing any of his recovery options, if you grab him you can chaingrab into utilt fair or just nair him offstage. Spam nair a lot as it beats his entire moveset and CC a lot.
Lucas is a positive MU for Link. . .?

I must be playing it wrong then. . .

He's a pressure monster, so when he does manage to get in, I end up unable to press anything ever.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Sorry that I haven't updated this in FOREVER. I haven't been exposed to many new characters at a threatening level and for those that have been threatening, I don't cognitively understand the match-ups enough to explain it in words.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
In that case, you guys want to just think-tank and focus on one or two matchups for a while?

I nominate :
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Marth
MK
Ganon
M2
Lucas

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I can help with Fox, Marth, Ganon and M2. (Not M2K level, but SFL has a M2)
I'm going to ask for all the help in the world with MK. Plup was really hard to fight.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I can help with Fox, Marth, Ganon and M2. (Not M2K level, but SFL has a M2)
I'm going to ask for all the help in the world with MK. Plup was really hard to fight.
I think MK is a pretty hard matchup for link... His groundspeed and size lets him get around the spam, and his grab combos are legit...
That's my personal hate matchup of the moment.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
His edgeguards are hard to get around, and his combos are legit.
I think my loss was a mix of that, not knowing ANYTHING about the MU, and not mixing up dodges as well as I should have...
I'm going to study my vids whenever CT uploads them.

D

Deleted member

link vs MK is probably still like a 7:3. MK has changed, but not enough to put this anywhere near link's favor.

you basically play it like the match up against sheik, but he has 6 jumps. good luck /wrist

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I agree. I'm not sure it's as bad as a 7-3, but I'd put it firmly in mk's favor.
The local MK player believes it's in Link's advantage, though...

The good news is that Link can combo / kill him pretty well, but getting the first hit is pretty hard.

Couple tips from my side... standing 'rang is better than sh rang against him, because it doesn't go over his head as much. Angled down sh rang seems to be incredibly avoidable.

If for some reason, he approaches with something other than grab, crouch cancel gives you a punishment option like dsmash, grab, or jab jab something.

I am finding that you can pseudo abuse spot dodge to make him think again about grabbing.
Also, I like bombs in the match, for setting ground traps to make dash attack risky, and for edgeguarding.

If I didn't make it clear before, I'm not crazy about using boomerang in this matchup. It's safe enough to throw one out, but you can't rely on it like usual. If you have time, throwing one backwards to jump over it and make him shield while you approach is surprisingly not terrible, but very situational.

As for stages, I personally like the smaller ones (smashville, green Hill zone, etc) in the matchup, along with FD and arguably the stadiums.. He gimps you so well that large edges don't help too much. It also limits his mobility a bit.

Last edited:

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I don't think it's THAT bad... It's just not easy.
Unless Link has terrible MUs that I haven't played, I don't think he goes 3:7 with anybody

I agree. I'm not sure it's as bad as a 7-3, but I'd put it firmly in mk's favor.
The local MK player believes it's in Link's advantage, though...

The good news is that Link can combo / kill him pretty well, but getting the first hit is pretty hard.

Couple tips from my side... standing 'rang is better than sh rang against him, because it doesn't go over his head as much. Angled down sh rang seems to be incredibly avoidable.

If for some reason, he approaches with something other than grab, crouch cancel gives you a punishment option like dsmash, grab, or jab jab something.

I am finding that you can pseudo abuse spot dodge to make him think again about grabbing.
Also, I like bombs in the match, for setting ground traps to make dash attack risky, and for edgeguarding.

If I didn't make it clear before, I'm not crazy about using boomerang in this matchup. It's safe enough to throw one out, but you can't rely on it like usual. If you have time, throwing one backwards to jump over it and make him shield while you approach is surprisingly not terrible, but very situational.

As for stages, I personally like the smaller ones (smashville, green Hill zone, etc) in the matchup, along with FD and arguably the stadiums.. He gimps you so well that large edges don't help too much. It also limits his mobility a bit.
Yeah, it took me a couple of matches to realize that SH Rang was bad, and I couldn't adjust fast enough so I let him get in a bit too often like that.

The stage I won on was FD, I feel like platforms help MK WAY more than Link.

Would zair possibly be good in the MU? Like, almost landing zairs?
I thought about it after the set, and with MK's body type it seems like it'd be useful.

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I don't think it's THAT bad... It's just not easy.
Unless Link has terrible MUs that I haven't played, I don't think he goes 3:7 with anybody
Completely agree.

The stage I won on was FD, I feel like platforms help MK WAY more than Link.
Completely agree x2

Would zair possibly be good in the MU? Like, almost landing zairs?
I thought about it after the set, and with MK's body type it seems like it'd be useful.
It's just... Really hard to land that against him in any kind of neutral situation. It's good if you can guess him out, but small target + good dash dance makes it trickier than most chars. I actually have similar trouble hitting Marth with it for the same reason.
It helps if you can trap him with a bomb or something.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Pivot grab is your best friend when the MK is getting too predictable. (ie, he runs in or uses dair in an obvious manner)
I started mixing up bomb dropping and f-airs to try and hit Metaknight. Kind of like what has been said before, you can boomerang when it is generally safe to do so, but Metaknight low profiles underneath even standing boomerangs, so don't expect it to dictate much in the neutral game. Bombs and arrows will also go over his head unless he's far away.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
yeah jab jab works in the matchup like always, and really is Link's saving grace here... but since that's one of your only options, MK can just space you out and hit with an aerial, dsmash, etc.
I guess that's what I'm getting at here... it seems like MK always has more options to pick from than Link at any given point, and really just has to DD camp us out, to make Link commit and punish.

As for pivot grab. It's great yeah, but only if MK commits to something. If he's content to just DD you out, pivot grab is never safe.

I really like bomb drops in this matchup, though... both on the floor, and above MK. Bomb is probably your safest setup in the match, imo.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Yeah, he really just dictates the match. Get more reads and take your punishes as far as they can go. Really, that's all you can rely on.

Anaky

Smash Champion
NNID
AnakyUK
Kirby match-up advice anyone?

I know he's gay for CC'ing, Grab doesn't often work as he can just crouch and the grab will miss.

What I do Is just camp and then follow up a boomerang or bomb hit, or try get a Nair and follow up from that, I just feel it's about reading Kirby once I get a random hit.

But yeah any advice wud be gud.

Cheers guys.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Camp.
Camp more.

From what I've played, that's how you beat Kirby. Only hit him with your sword when he's in stun from rang/bomb.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Camp.
Camp more.

From what I've played, that's how you beat Kirby. Only hit him with your sword when he's in stun from rang/bomb.
I'd have to agree. Use all of your projectiles and never let him in. Once kirby is in, he really ****s up your day. If he's getting too close, jabs definitely help with breaking up his approaches.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Kirby is kind of like MK without his sword or ground speed... you really can fortress outside of his range and keep him out. Nair also stuffs a lot (including his recoveries).

Kirby players haaaaaate this matchup, from what I've heard.

Btw, side note... Your Links should not be getting CC punished... Link has the tools to stay out of punishment range from a CC against most if not all of the cast. Space your fairs/zairs, or just throw stuff. Don't be too aggressive with laggy moves (which are most of Link's attacks).

Strawhat Jiggs

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Evolzar89
Kirby is kind of like MK without his sword or ground speed... you really can fortress outside of his range and keep him out. Nair also stuffs a lot (including his recoveries).

Kirby players haaaaaate this matchup, from what I've heard.

Btw, side note... Your Links should not be getting CC punished... Link has the tools to stay out of punishment range from a CC against most if not all of the cast. Space your fairs/zairs, or just throw stuff. Don't be too aggressive with laggy moves (which are most of Link's attacks).
Well put. Jest keep your spacing with projectiles and as always DON'T GET HIT

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
How do you guys feel about Mewtwo? I think the match up is pretty even, but I keep hearing different things.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
What's the Link boards opinion on his MU vs Roy?
I brought this up in the Roy thread, but I think it's a very solid 6-4 in Link's favor. Think Roy has a hard time approaching, they combo each other pretty well, but Link has that advantage, imo, and they kill each other about equally well.

So link wins slightly in the neutral and extending combos, and they're about equal in killpower vs recovery. That's just my opinion on it

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Roy can duck Link's projectiles when mid-range or up close and has really good tools for pressuring Link's shield. His attacks have more shield stun than Marth's. Once you get touched, you also get combo'd for a very long time. I wouldn't be quick to call it in Link's favor yet. Probably even 5-5.

Apollo Ali

Smash Journeyman
I played a few matches with Sethlon at Apex and he and I agreed its a bad matchup for Roy. Not that that's gospel or anything, but I'm clearly an inferior player to Sethlon and I felt myself doing better than I would have expected, mostly because of matchup.

Top Bottom