• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Match-up Thread

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Sethlon has learned a lot about the Link match-up since then and it is definitely much harder to do anything to him now that he started ducking the boomerang. (I remember having close games with in during that time period too) When a Roy doesn't duck that, they are definitely going to have a hard time winning, but Roy can definitely duck all 3 of Link's projectiles and land his nasty combo starting d-tilt. At worst for him, he crouch cancels the boomerang. Sucks to endure 16% or so, but it is usually worth it for Roy to get in and start applying immense pressure.

The natural counter and the first idea that comes to mind when dealing with crouch cancelling is grabbing, but this leads to a dangerously risky game of trying to catch Roy out of his dash dance. You guess right and you get lots of damage, and you can miss and take lots of damage. You can try to play it safe by throwing projectiles during his dash dance, but he can play equally as safe and just shield them. He can also approach in the air if he knows you are trying to grab him and hit you with f-air and combo from there. If you shield the f-air, he is going to start pressuring your shield even more.

I haven't sat down and played him in a bunch of friendlies in a while. As of late, I've only gotten to play him in brief tournament matches, so there can be more to explore, but this is my current understanding of the match-up.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I lost to Eggz' Roy as Link once, dropped a 2 stock lead in game 3 'cause I let up. I'm hella salty still. I like the matchup, and G3 I stayed Link even on Yoshi's Story. Call me crazy but I think it's a great Link stage.

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I think the stages Link wants is heavily match-up dependent, though as of late, I've been enjoying Dream Land 64 in almost every match-up.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
For those who want advice on yoshi:

djc = yoshi's double jump cancel
I am not huge on link lingo, pardon me if I say anything wrong.

When you are playing against yoshi you want to keep him out using a combo of angled boomerangs, arrows and bombs if you have the time.
Yoshi is one of those characters that can do a few things on the way in. His nair beats out your boomerang and your bombs just bounce away from his shield harmlessly. Your arrows aren't a problem for him as long as he is onstage.
What you want to do instead is hit him once his doublejump armour is gone or when he is within range.You can use ftilt and dtilt to push im out again. Usually you can grab him if he is landing from an armoured djc, but be aware of grab parrying (he is invulnerable to grabs on the first 3 frames of his shield). You can also roll through him if he is too close for you to do anything else, but you must be careful with that, a good yoshi will be able to punish it if he sees it coming.

The absolute worst thing you can do is get grabbed in the neutral game, it is an instant half stock to him (providing he / she doesn't mess up):
His Down Throw combos into anything he wants at medium percents and on stages with platforms, you will eat an up air or a nair after the tech. You can punish over zealous follow ups from there, depending on where you end up and what percentage you are at.

Once you are offstage your are actually really vulnerable to egg setups as egg goes through link's up b.
Yoshi can also gimp link at low percent's if you give him the chance with fair meteors and dairs, although this shouldn't be too much of a problem if you can up b soon enough.

Your main tools for killing yoshi are uptilt and fsmash (according to a link main that plays against my yoshi well), your uptilt comes out quick enough to not allow yoshi to react and the first hit of f smash can punish a dash attack or a badly spaced djc or bair.

Once you have put yoshi offstage your goal is to stop him from either grabbing the ledge or landing on the stage. Without his double jump, his recovery options are extremely limited (like there aren't any other than egg roll). You can quite easily deal with him if he does manage to get back on stage.
Yoshi has problems sweet spotting as his double jump just cant. The latter frames of double jump are not armoured and that is where you can hit him before ge grabs the edge, if he tries.

If yoshi ends up above you, be aware of dair and down b (ground pound), these can set up kills, depending on which way you DI it.The link that I train with says that up air out prioritises both, but he prefers to wavedash back -> fsmash to punish.

Coming down on yoshi can be a hassle, particularly if he is reading any dairs or whatever you do on the way down. I honestly think that this is link's vulnerable state against yoshi as yoshi will just dsmash or usmash you if you miss anything as you are coming down. Also note that yoshi's up smash may have invincibility at the tip (don't quote me on that though).

As for combos, I don't really know any on yoshi. I do know that yoshi is quite floaty in project M so you might want to tread carefully in your chases, down b can surprise link if he doesn't have a move out at the time.

Conclusion:
In my opinion this MU is about 55/45 to link, maybe more if you play correctly.
Do's:
Punish his mis-spacings well with fsmash or a tilt.
Get him offstage
Use projectiles at decent range
Grab, within your safety though.

Don'ts:
Let him set up on you
Go offstage
Get egged
Get above him
Make a marge enough mistake to get dsmashed, or set up upon.

I hope I helped some, or at least contributed to the thread. I currently do not have video to support my advice, and my yoshi is rather bad. I can offer other match ups, but they will be of lower detail unfortunately, as I have less experience with my jiggs and my sheik.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about the double post.
I would give marth match up advice, but that would be limited and I see you already have that covered

Last edited:

Bravo_10

Smash Apprentice
Any advice on the Toon Link MU? I think Toon Link is overall less well-rounded than Link, but he's always been a pain for me to deal with. The speed with which he can throw things at me really neuters my whole projectile game, especially on stages where I don't have room to dodge his stuff (FD's not fun).

ITALIAN N1NJA

Smash Ace
NNID
ITALIAN_N1NJA
3DS FC
3368-3413-2021
I read through all of this thread including all of the original match-up information. I struggle against ROB(I need more practice with him) and I also struggle with Lucario(I could use more practice with him as well). I also learned that Mario can be very obnoxious. Nair to fireball isn't always the best when the Mario is coming to the ground as your Nairing. This gives him an opportunity to chain grab you to death essentially.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Lost to Plup's MK and Wizzrobe's Sonic again yesterday.

MK was close, and I took a game off Wizzrobe... but man...
Those characters are freaking hard.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
MK is just obnoxious. The combination of a small hurtbox, fast movement, ridiculous attack speed and disjoints that rival Marth's in several instances make him hard to deal with for me.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
MK is frustrating, but I think he's doable.
I think Sonic might be an impossible MU though. We are not NEARLY fast enough to deal with that... Might also be because Wizzy was pretty good at power-shielding...

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
MK is frustrating, but I think he's doable.
I think Sonic might be an impossible MU though. We are not NEARLY fast enough to deal with that... Might also be because Wizzy was pretty good at power-shielding...
I did ok against Wizzy when he was using broken sonic and also did fine against Sethlon when he was using broken sonic lol(though they played nothing alike) I imagine it would be easier now.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I don't think there is any fantastic secret to beating Sonic.
I would try to take advantage of Sonic's horrible air mobility (moving left/right in the air, not his attacks that grant him movement). Fight him in the air when you can. Use lots of nairs. I watched your old footage from when you last faced Wizzrobe about a month ago and it looked like you were playing it right until the last stock when you were so ready to just win, you started approaching a lot more.

Sonic is pretty much too fast to safely approach. If Sonic isn't approaching you, need to use your projectiles to control the space around him. Players in general are getting really good at power shielding Link's stuff though, so try not to be methodical with it and mix it up by throwing projectiles around them, rather than at them.

Sonic's air movement is good only because of his specials, but he runs out of them pretty quick. His spring in particular comes at the ultimate price of movement loss. Anytime a Sonic springs, he basically HAS to fall nearly straight down. The only mix-up he has left at that point is a little left/right wiggle and the inevitable d-air.

Without his double-jump, Sonic's spin dash and spin maneuver also become much bigger commitments. You can somewhat safely assume that Sonic will not attempt either of these if he used his double jump.

That's all I got for now. Sorry Nick, life of a Link get exponentially harder once you start climbing high up the tournament ladder. :(

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Hey guys, I'm looking to learn the Link vs Mewtwo and Fox match up. I've been in talks with Nick Riddle and Master Raven for the MU in both sides, but I'd like as much as possible. First of all, general questions for both MU's: Does Link beat Mewtwo/Fox? If so, how does he play the match up in neutral. Campy? Force his priority and range over Fox's N-Air/stuff? Force him/them to deal with projectiles and then condition him/them? How do you kill him/them from neutral at high percents, and how do you deal with TP into F-Air and Fox fishing for Up-Smash/Grab Up Throw (Does it work?). Good combos/grab setups/down throw stuff? Stages to look out for in both Mu's? What to strike/ban/counterpick.

I'd really, really like as much help as possible. I can give some insight into the Pit vs Link MU (Though, I've only played Wolf, and that was my first day/time ever as Pit and it was a close set) or other stuff as I find. Looking to share info, if you have anything to say, doesn't matter how small/big, please let me know either here or by a PM. Thanks!!

EDIT: I read the first page's note on Mewtwo.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
What'd you do in that MU?
It might be lack of Sonic exp, but I was at a loss.
I use nair a LOT. Also, his shield pressure is fake. Don't get tricked into dropping shield, you can get out of the shield pressure with good timing and just recognizing his moves. I also jab a lot and in general play pretty defensive but don't use projectiles much. Sonic will really take advantage of you using a lot of projectiles because he can get to you before you can really set up space well and he's so fast you can forget just trying to hit him straight up with projectiles. I have a ton of sonic experience which is probably why I did ok against them as well.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Yeah, the two sets I've had with Wizzrobe is the ONLY Sonic exp. I have.
I'll take your advice into consideration, thank you~

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Hey guys, I'm looking to learn the Link vs Mewtwo and Fox match up. I've been in talks with Nick Riddle and Master Raven for the MU in both sides, but I'd like as much as possible. First of all, general questions for both MU's: Does Link beat Mewtwo/Fox? If so, how does he play the match up in neutral. Campy? Force his priority and range over Fox's N-Air/stuff? Force him/them to deal with projectiles and then condition him/them? How do you kill him/them from neutral at high percents, and how do you deal with TP into F-Air and Fox fishing for Up-Smash/Grab Up Throw (Does it work?). Good combos/grab setups/down throw stuff? Stages to look out for in both Mu's? What to strike/ban/counterpick.

I'd really, really like as much help as possible. I can give some insight into the Pit vs Link MU (Though, I've only played Wolf, and that was my first day/time ever as Pit and it was a close set) or other stuff as I find. Looking to share info, if you have anything to say, doesn't matter how small/big, please let me know either here or by a PM. Thanks!!

I don't have much experience against Mewtwo. Just looking at his options though it seems like he could react to rang at mid range with his teleport and then punish with DJC fairs or some long combo. Link really excels in a lot of match-ups due to juggling and M2 seems like he would be pretty hard to juggle. Defensive nairs and jabs would be your best friend in this match-ups and you really need to pay attention to rang spacing as Mewtwo can get inside easily if he teleports right as you are throwing. Edgeguarding him would be all about reading his options and much harder than pretty much any other character in the game. Probably not worth it to go offstage vs him unless you are comboing him into something.

Fox:

I think Fox is Links worst match-up. I know a lot of people who would disagree with me, but this is what I've experienced. Fox can destroy rang with nair and then nair him again before he can get another one out, his mobility lets him take huge advantage in stage position and lets him get in on Link much easier than other characters. The optimal thing for fox to do is to stay on top of Link and be SUPER aggro. Link has slow OoS options because of his 6 frame jumpsquat. Fox also falls out of upsmash if they just hold sideways/down at most %'s taking away another OoS option. Link wants to play near the edge and get fox off in any way possible as Link can pretty much cover all of fox's recovery options. If you grab a fox by the edge at any % you can kill him with bthrow -> turn around jab to cover jump, then run off nair to cover low up-b and jump reverse up-b to clip side-b if they jump - side-b then nair to finish them off when they up-b. If they stall in shine it can be a little trickier but if they jump AD past you then just turn around grab. Link wants FD against fastfallers as he can combo them to death with dash attacks and uptilts. When platforms are involved it's tricker but he still combos hard out of uthrow. At low %'s you can either chaingrab or uthrow dsmash, they fall too fast for uthrow utilt until around 15-20%. You can chaingrab with uthrow but it can be sort of hard, you can only grab in the air with your hand grabbox not the chain. Dthrow combos into grounded up-b at around 70-80% and will usually kill. Fox is one of if not the hardest characters for link to grab though.

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I don't have much experience against Mewtwo. Just looking at his options though it seems like he could react to rang at mid range with his teleport and then punish with DJC fairs or some long combo. Link really excels in a lot of match-ups due to juggling and M2 seems like he would be pretty hard to juggle. Defensive nairs and jabs would be your best friend in this match-ups and you really need to pay attention to rang spacing as Mewtwo can get inside easily if he teleports right as you are throwing. Edgeguarding him would be all about reading his options and much harder than pretty much any other character in the game. Probably not worth it to go offstage vs him unless you are comboing him into something.

Fox:

I think Fox is Links worst match-up. I know a lot of people who would disagree with me, but this is what I've experienced. Fox can destroy rang with nair and then nair him again before he can get another one out, his mobility lets him take huge advantage in stage position and lets him get in on Link much easier than other characters. The optimal thing for fox to do is to stay on top of Link and be SUPER aggro. Link has slow OoS options because of his 6 frame jumpsquat. Fox also falls out of upsmash if they just hold sideways/down at most %'s taking away another OoS option. Link wants to play near the edge and get fox off in any way possible as Link can pretty much cover all of fox's recovery options. If you grab a fox by the edge at any % you can kill him with bthrow -> turn around jab to cover jump, then run off nair to cover low up-b and jump reverse up-b to clip side-b if they jump - side-b then nair to finish them off when they up-b. If they stall in shine it can be a little trickier but if they jump AD past you then just turn around grab. Link wants FD against fastfallers as he can combo them to death with dash attacks and uptilts. When platforms are involved it's tricker but he still combos hard out of uthrow. At low %'s you can either chaingrab or uthrow dsmash, they fall too fast for uthrow utilt until around 15-20%. You can chaingrab with uthrow but it can be sort of hard, you can only grab in the air with your hand grabbox not the chain. Dthrow combos into grounded up-b at around 70-80% and will usually kill. Fox is one of if not the hardest characters for link to grab though.
Thanks a lot for your input, Hylian.

It's crazy how opinions vary so much. Most Fox'es I've spoke to have said the MU is really in Link's favor (Including Mew2King's), maybe is the MU played in a different way, say, Link goes aggressive to trade with his sword to beat Fox's legs and then proceed to combo? Just an idea, haven't done it at all. But it seems that if you camp, you force yourself to react to Fox, which you can't really do + getting cornered, so it makes sense that Fox would win then. That's why I say then maybe Link has to approach and do some zoning at close/semi mid range with upward boomerang mix up to cover full hop.

Last edited:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Thanks a lot for your input, Hylian.

It's crazy how opinions vary so much. Most Fox'es I've spoke to have said the MU is really in Link's favor (Including Mew2King's), maybe is the MU played in a different way, say, Link goes aggressive to trade with his sword to beat Fox's legs and then proceed to combo? Just an idea, haven't done it at all. But it seems that if you camp, you force yourself to react to Fox, which you can't really do + getting cornered, so it makes sense that Fox would win then. That's why I say then maybe Link has to approach and do some zoning at close/semi mid range with upward boomerang mix up to cover full hop.
I play a really aggro link so I doubt this is the case. The more defensive ones do better than I do but I've also not played any of the same foxes.

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I feel like Fox wins in the neutral (well duh) but as soon as link lands a hit, Fox is in danger of dying..

Things like boomerang, Nair, Bair, fair, jab, usmash, etc etc all either lead to a grab for link, or force a knockdown/tech read .

Once you're in a grab or tech read, imo it should lead to Fox dying... I know I'm getting into the "everybody can 0-death spacies" theory, but it's just not that difficult for Link to keep streaming punishment on reaction to techs and DI. I don't think anybody has quite mastered this yet, but I definitely think somebody will.

On a knockdown, running toward Fox literally covers all options. No tech gets punished by dash attack before Fox can do anything. Either direction of roll tech can be punished by running or pivot grab. Spot tech can be punished by dash attack above CC %s or usmash or grab.

On grab, Link has kill move combos that work for nearly any time above like 60% (dthrow upB, then uthrow dair, then dthrow dair, then dthrow uair)

Aside from onstage stuff, Link is an amazing gimper against all spacies with lasting Nair and projectiles...

Essentially, I think Fox has a neutral advantage, but Link kills Fox much easier from 1-2 hits, so I put it in Link's advantage.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
So along with this talk of Melee top tiers, Sheik.

I find this ***** to be the most boring insipid thing ever to play against, perhaps more so than Meta Knight. My mind literally shuts down out of boredom against her. Clearly a personal flaw, but I feel like it would be less of a problem if I had some insight on how to play against her, because playing normally leads to tedium.

Basically, nothing feels effective at all. I get juggled to death with virtually no effort. She just effing CC's everything and I can't read it and try to grab because she just ducks under it.

That's another thing, in a game with CC, why is it considered fair to be able to duck under grabs? So there's a defensive option whose main counter is to grab, and some characters can use it to cover both options AND make their hurtbox harder to hit. Seems really damn stupid unless I'm missing something. Obviously I can throw **** at her until she's at kill percents (tediummmmm), but I'm talking about more in general.

Nuttre

Smash Apprentice
So along with this talk of Melee top tiers, Sheik.

I find this ***** to be the most boring insipid thing ever to play against, perhaps more so than Meta Knight. My mind literally shuts down out of boredom against her. Clearly a personal flaw, but I feel like it would be less of a problem if I had some insight on how to play against her, because playing normally leads to tedium.

Basically, nothing feels effective at all. I get juggled to death with virtually no effort. She just effing CC's everything and I can't read it and try to grab because she just ducks under it.
I consider the shiek link matchup unwinnable for link, 'm sure there are some things he can do but he falls so fast into ftilts and dthrow and slap.
If anyone could tell me something else about the matchup for my sheik then please do.
(I abuse crouch cancel against everyone , not just a few. It is probably one of the most powerful thngs in the game if your character has a fast dtilt)

Last edited:

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
I consider the shiek link matchup unwinnable for link, 'm sure there are some things he can do but he falls so fast into ftilts and dthrow and slap.
If anyone could tell me something else about the matchup for my sheik then please do.
(I abuse crouch cancel against everyone , not just a few. It is probably one of the most powerful thngs in the game if your character has a fast dtilt)
CC sucks against a grabby Sheik... You gotta avoid grab in the matchup. If you do get grabbed, you have to mix up your techs like crazy. DI away from pretty much everything that isn't an aerial.

Stick to jab jab to keep her away. Needles are annoying, but your projectiles give you more options. Land Nair, Bair, jab jab, etc into grab and you get an easy 50% combo on her, possibly into a kill move. Link doesn't really have to commit in the matchup.. Fortress her out and make her approach, then respond to the approach.

As a side note, the Sheik board shows this matchup in Link's favor, which I don't really believe, but it is faaaar from unwinnable.

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
I read through all of this thread including all of the original match-up information. I struggle against ROB(I need more practice with him) and I also struggle with Lucario(I could use more practice with him as well). I also learned that Mario can be very obnoxious. Nair to fireball isn't always the best when the Mario is coming to the ground as your Nairing. This gives him an opportunity to chain grab you to death essentially.
In the same boat as you man, I got double eliminated by a ROB at the smashing grounds monthly, literally have no experience in the matchup, who the hell plays ROB? And Mario is indeed a pain in the ass

This guy, you picking up Link?

Fox is a tough matchup to learn, you have to play so specific, I managed to beat M2K's Fox before but it's such a pain, one tip I'll give you, NEVER try to do anything out of shield, if the Fox is good, he can beat out all of Link's OOS options which aren't good in the first place, all you can do is roll or spot-dodge when a Fox is on top of you which is dangerous, so you should space carefully with jabs, boomerang takes too long to get out, I would advise against using it at anything but long range or in a combo string or maybe retreating, but if a Fox is DDing all over the place, do not use it

I have the equipment to stream with me and my buddy who's a fox main, I might start streaming matches soon, at least once finals are over, maybe that will do better than me trying to explain what to do cause I kinda suck at that

Last edited:

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
You just have to play her in a manner that's sooooooo damn boring and overly methodical or whatever. Turns out, I'm trying to enjoy myself while wasting hours of my life getting good at a video game. She completely destroys that by making me disinterested in being alive.

And I was told they think it's in our favor. I highly disagree. I'll try doing whatever against her I guess. See how it turns out before my brain starts swelling up again.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Everyone thinks they lose to Link. Link's weaknesses just aren't intuitive, but they exist and are very exploitable. I'm considering making a video to showcase them.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
Everyone thinks they lose to Link. Link's weaknesses just aren't intuitive, but they exist and are very exploitable. I'm considering making a video to showcase them.
I'd like to see this. I recently picked up Link and he is so much fun to use and is one of those characters like M2K said that has untapped potential. I think he definitely struggles with top tiers but he racks up damage extremely fast, has good kill set ups (despite what people say), and good neutral game. I'd say his only weakness is his poor defensive options and below average mobility, his OoS options are lacking. He has Up B (laggy), Nair (frame 6 jump), and grab (laggy).

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
I thought Nair was frame 4
edit: Total: 40
Hits: Initial) 4-6;
Landing Lag: 15
L-Canceled: 7

Unless they changed it?

I'm not frame data nazi'ing, I'm just wondering if it's actually 6 now

Last edited:

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I'd like to see this. I recently picked up Link and he is so much fun to use and is one of those characters like M2K said that has untapped potential. I think he definitely struggles with top tiers but he racks up damage extremely fast, has good kill set ups (despite what people say), and good neutral game. I'd say his only weakness is his poor defensive options and below average mobility, his OoS options are lacking. He has Up B (laggy), Nair (frame 6 jump), and grab (laggy).
Well you're not wrong (maybe the nair frame data is wrong. I thought it was 5.).

Link has kill options, yup
Link racks up damage, yup
Link has poor defensive options, yup
below average mobility, yup
no great OoS options, yup

I don't know how much more potential there is to untap specifically with Link other than just playing smarter. AeroLink and I still work diligently to find what we can though.

The video I would make just shows mostly how many options every character has to deal with Link's projectiles. There is more you can do than just run away or shield them. Also, there is a lot of stuff that people "respect" that doesn't need to be respected (ie. a shielding Link), and a few other random stuff.

Mr.Random

Smash Ace
I also forgot Link's recovery. It's actually pretty good since bomb jumping is easier and AGT gives him extra jump + he has the tether and his Up travels a good distance vertically and horizontally with good hit box coverage. One thing I see people do is aim the projectiles directly at the character. I aim it at where I think they are going to be. Like for example if Fox is on the ground I throw it upwards to cover his short hop and then clip him.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
But he has setups into grab...
Pretty sure you can rang > grab if they don't immediately DI it.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Only at really low percents because if they're even a centimeter off the ground, you miss. Bair into grab is good. Soft hit Nair into grab. Fair into grab at really low percents. Rang does indeed work. We have setups. But there's risk involved. And they can be avoided by ****.

Fox has setups into Usmash too. I'll list them.

1. Jab
2. Shine
3. Everything Else

Wolf_

Smash Journeyman
Same reason dthrow dair is a guaranteed kill on most chars above like 90%, regardless of DI...

If you get grabbed by Link, you f*ing deserve it. :mad:
This is largely stage dependent, against most people I play who know how to smash DI, they can live up to like 130% on FD

But he has setups into grab...
Pretty sure you can rang > grab if they don't immediately DI it.
Not really, Link can't grab people in the air, I haven't found a reliable setup into grab yet, I just DD and bait out an approach and then reverse grab

Top Bottom