• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
Quick question though... Is it just me, or do you guys feel a lot more comfortable around other Gay/Bi people? I feel more comfortable around non-flaming people than straight most of the time... Probably because I don't feel like I have to hide anything about who I am. For example, I feel a lot more comfortable talking to many of you in this thread (even though we've just met) than I do with some of my High School Friends.

For me, not necessarily. If they've told me themself that they are gay/bi or opened themself up to me in someway (no, not that way) then I find it easy to talk to them but else I'm ridiculously uncomfortable with strangers. I'll often say nothing at all because I'm worried about what I might say will sound incredibly stupid or something.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
sneaking low to the ground, ready to pounce
Thanks to all of you that answered that. I've been really thinking about how I asked it, and I think I've come to the conclusion that, it's not that I'm more comfortable aroun gay/bi people, it's that I'm more comfortable around people that I can be completely honest with and not hide anything. It's just been more often than not that those people and I share commonality in our sexuallity. Even a couple of my straight friends who know are not entirely comfortable, so I can't make the same jokes I sometimes make around them.

Well, anyways. Happy New Year everyone. ^_^ May the new yeart bring everyone their best wishes.

pokefanthingy

Smash Cadet
Im not gay but I see no problem with gay people or lesbians. lol I just saw I now pronounce you Chuck and Lary last night.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Im not gay but I see no problem with gay people or lesbians. lol I just saw I now pronounce you Chuck and Lary last night.
I found that movie pretty humorous. I went to see it with a friend of mine, and then again with my boyfriend. He doesn't care much for Adam Sandler, but in my oppinion, the last couple of movies I've seen him in he's been great.

Bleh... I'm really starting to miss my boyfriend. And there still a week of break to go before I go back to AZ. *sigh*

--

Anyways, to try and not let this get too much off topic, how many of you have looked into the HRC? They are really pulling for equality and rights and everything. They also help many people through hard times and fight the good fight so to speak. I remember there was this coming out help page that I'd read once... It really helped me gain enough confidence to come out to a few people over in AZ.

I also speak my mind when I hear people use the word gay as a synonym for stupid. That really gets on my nerves. I find it hurtful and offensive and ask people that do it to kindly stop. Anyone else have similar feelings?

blink777

Smash Journeyman
I also speak my mind when I hear people use the word gay as a synonym for stupid. That really gets on my nerves. I find it hurtful and offensive and ask people that do it to kindly stop. Anyone else have similar feelings?
I wouldn't say "offended"... I just don't really like it, no more than I like most of the ridiculous slang we spout these days. The most I'll ever say is like: "How exactly is that broken camera supposed to be involved in same-sex relations?"

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Hey everyone. Been a while since I've posted here actually I think. Anyway, lets see...I'm comfortable around talking mainly with girls, people who are younger than me, witty/nerdy/intelligent and sarcastic people, debaters, and little kids (don't get the wrong impression). Straight guys don't intimidate me, but I find them awfully dry when it comes to a long conversation. Gay/Bi people are cool, but sometimes, they can overdo a conversation and I'm kind of done talking then. No one is perfectly comfortable about strangers. Well, except in this chat area, because we know each other's pain and insecurities and experiences, because they relate to our own issues. Hope you guys (and girls) have a Happy New Year! Smile!

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind when someone says gay as a synonym for stupid >_> I mean I actually say it sometimes. Usually while playing games with my best friend. We'll shout at each other and most likely scream out "Thats gay!"

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
Anyways, to try and not let this get too much off topic, how many of you have looked into the HRC? They are really pulling for equality and rights and everything. They also help many people through hard times and fight the good fight so to speak. I remember there was this coming out help page that I'd read once... It really helped me gain enough confidence to come out to a few people over in AZ.

I don't know a whole lot about the HRC. The gay student group at my school does some HRC stuff like National Coming Out Day. I've seen those coming out stories & tips, too. They're cool. Defintely helped things out in high school

--

I've been asked a lot if "that's gay" is offensive, and I'm not too sure. I guess it depends on the situation, but usually, I really don't care. I try to judge people based on their intentions. It's been so ingrained into teen slang, it's not really fair to get pissed about it. I mean, when people are talking about homework or videogames or something, they're not intentionally trying to offend homosexuals. When people start calling other people gay or f--gots insults, then that's offensive to me. I never say "that's gay" but for no reason other than it's just not something I say.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
I don't know a whole lot about the HRC. The gay student group at my school does some HRC stuff like National Coming Out Day. I've seen those coming out stories & tips, too. They're cool. Defintely helped things out in high school

--

I've been asked a lot if "that's gay" is offensive, and I'm not too sure. I guess it depends on the situation, but usually, I really don't care. I try to judge people based on their intentions. It's been so ingrained into teen slang, it's not really fair to get pissed about it. I mean, when people are talking about homework or videogames or something, they're not intentionally trying to offend homosexuals. When people start calling other people gay or f--gots insults, then that's offensive to me. I never say "that's gay" but for no reason other than it's just not something I say.
I agree. Its how the tone is meant that we get what they are trying to say. Its not really offensive anymore, unless one uses it in a direct harsh voice. Usually, the only words I think that sound offensive are ***got and homo (alone).

blink777

Smash Journeyman
It's really just gotten to the point where "gay" hardly ever means "homosexual" when used in everyday conversation/exclamations, so I can't really get myself pissed off at it. I just refrain from joining in. But it'll pass, just like every other bit of slang pop culture plows through.

lumberheartwood

Smash Journeyman
Thats true. Slang comes and goes.

Also, to everybody here, it is confirmed that Brawl isn't have any delays. IGN confirmed on their list that Super Smash Bros. Brawl will definitely come out February 10, 2008. I'm happy beyond words can say!!

I want to get "No More Heroes" on the same day I'm getting Brawl.

Also, another Wii game known as "Baroque" is coming out February 26 and it looks amazing. I think if Brawl is going to advertise games that haven't come out yet, this is the game. I hope this game gets some mention in Brawl. :)

Mr.Loser

Smash Apprentice
I will only get mad at someone whos says Gay is when it is directed at someone that they know is gay and they say it in an offensive manner towards that person.

There has been this odd thing I have been noticing about myself. When I do see someone who is gay (as in coming thru the BK drive-thru) and they are "overly" gay I think in my head that he/they are a bunch of ***gots. It really catches me by suprise @_@ and its getting annoying to me.

Kyari

Smash Lord
Slippi.gg
KYRI#103
'gay' as an insult, among insults, isn't even very pejorative anymore, so i'm not very bothered by it. however i do take offense to someone saying "***" or "***got". i really don't like that.

Somasu

Smash Ace
Speaking of the BK Drive-thru, there's this Burger King around my area that has a guy working there that almost looks EXACTLY like my ex-boyfriend xD It's kinda funny. I'll sometimes blush when I see him >_>

And yeah, on the whole "that's gay" thing, I don't get too touchy about it. It used to bother me, but... slang is slang, so.. I can't really help it. Plus, as someone else said, "gay" is hardly ever used seriously.. Hell, the word "gay" is technically slang when used as "homosexual" anyway, since gay originally just meant "happy".

So yeah, I don't get pissed about it.. I mainly just avoid using it, though (even though it has slipped a few times).

Seiya

Smash Journeyman
I will only get mad at someone whos says Gay is when it is directed at someone that they know is gay and they say it in an offensive manner towards that person.
Yeah same here. Like some of my few friends at school often call each other gay. Like last semester during 3rd pd. We'll often call each other names or like say some insults for the fun of it.(Yeah I'm lame XD) Like one conversation can go like "Hey babe..." and like I'll touch his hand. Then he'll go and touch my hand and wink. Then both of us will go "Ahh man you're gay!" I know both are straight and I think they know I'm gay. Since they don't have a problem with it, we still do it XD

Also Lumber...not to be rude or any of the sorts but for the sake of keeping this thread alive. Don't get off subject =\ I know it was about brawl but I'm worried the mods might do something >_<!

Sanu

Smash Champion
lol @ this thread.

To contribute: One of the best smashers, if not the best, in our community (The Greater Toronto Area; Canada, lol) is gay. He calls things gay all the time, people, characters, and especially his gimpy Sheik Combos <_<. Oh yeah, did I mention he's a Sheik main? He secondaries IC and low-tiers Kirby xP.

And he hits on people... A LOT. He just does it for fun though =P, and everyone likes the guy. I find it really strange that our smash scene here is very accepting of his sexuality; that environment is seldom seen, even if it is more common these days. Not to mention... he hosts the biweeklies!

*Casts a spotlight out on Dragon_Hawk*

Go David! You rock XD

(Yeah, pretty random post)

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm gay too, forgot about that part. I'm a little different though... I don't "come out" to people per say, I just be myself regardless of who I am around. I'm not going to go around telling everyone what I do in bed or who I have sex with, but I don't care what other people think either. If they ask about my sexual orientation, I'll tell them... but if you're around me for long enough, you'll figure it out eventually. *shrugsies*... except for my dad, lol. And uhh, Falco main here, Fox secondary, furry ftw x3!

And uhhmm... I read some REALLY cute/adorable/awww stories in this thread (took me 4 hours to read through it all, eep!), and I lurvs it! Somasu, the chibi Fox sig you have really put the cuteness meter over the top, I love it so much =3. Cuteness overload even! I hope your situation with your friend that you fooled around with evens out Darkfur, it seems like you have nothing to worry about though =D

*Offtopic* http://youtube.com/watch?v=occw-8sSao4 Awwwwwwwww.... *explodes from cuteness*

blink777

Smash Journeyman
To contribute: One of the best smashers, if not the best, in our community (The Greater Toronto Area; Canada, lol) is gay.
Where abouts in the GTA? I'm in Scarborough, but wind up spending most of my time downtown.

EDIT: Doy... Read the location numbnuts. I was living in Mississauga myself for about six months nearly a year ago. Mmmm suburbs ;) .

Somasu

Smash Ace
Edit: Oh yeah, I'm gay too, forgot about that part. I'm a little different though... I don't "come out" to people per say, I just be myself regardless of who I am around. I'm not going to go around telling everyone what I do in bed or who I have sex with, but I don't care what other people think either. If they ask about my sexual orientation, I'll tell them... but if you're around me for long enough, you'll figure it out eventually. *shrugsies*... except for my dad, lol. And uhh, Falco main here, Fox secondary, furry ftw x3!

And uhhmm... I read some REALLY cute/adorable/awww stories in this thread (took me 4 hours to read through it all, eep!), and I lurvs it! Somasu, the chibi Fox sig you have really put the cuteness meter over the top, I love it so much =3. Cuteness overload even! I hope your situation with your friend that you fooled around with evens out Darkfur, it seems like you have nothing to worry about though =D
FURRY! *tackles* Yay for fellow furs! :3

And you sound like me. I don't really "come out" so much as just not hide it xD Only people I DO hide it from are my parents... because I'd just rather them not find out until I'm steady enough to live on my own >_>;

Speaking of which, anyone else have troubles telling their parents? Or do yours know? If they do, how did they take it?

*Offtopic* http://youtube.com/watch?v=occw-8sSao4 Awwwwwwwww.... *explodes from cuteness*
*explodes* AWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! ^_^ *steals them*

Funny random story. A coworker of mine found out I was gay a few days ago. I was cleaning the back of the McDonald's that I work at, and two girls come walking in. My coworker, Khari, taps my shoulders and says "Hey, which one would you go out with?" My response was simply, "None, unless they lacked boobs and had male bits." xD He eventually figured out what I meant.. and that day became "Let's-Make-Khari-Feel-Awkward Day" x3

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Funny random story. A coworker of mine found out I was gay a few days ago. I was cleaning the back of the McDonald's that I work at, and two girls come walking in. My coworker, Khari, taps my shoulders and says "Hey, which one would you go out with?" My response was simply, "None, unless they lacked boobs and had male bits." xD He eventually figured out what I meant.. and that day became "Let's-Make-Khari-Feel-Awkward Day" x3
lmao! Nicely done. I've been soo tempted to try that one of these days.

inside

Smash Journeyman
I am not gay, but I do know gay people and they are cool, I don't mind the fact that they are gay and they play smash too.

Sanu

Smash Champion
Where abouts in the GTA? I'm in Scarborough, but wind up spending most of my time downtown.

EDIT: Doy... Read the location numbnuts. I was living in Mississauga myself for about six months nearly a year ago. Mmmm suburbs ;) .
Yeah! It's really fun playing with all these guys here in Mississauga, we're actually getting together tomorrow to smash it out =D. The biweeklies are hosted in Thornhill though, you should come to one sometime!

Oh, and I'm hosting a large tournament at my house this coming Saturday, here's the link!: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=131494

FURRY! *tackles* Yay for fellow furs! :3
Eep! *falls over*

I'm guessing you're a fox then? Wolf here, hehe =3

And you sound like me. I don't really "come out" so much as just not hide it xD Only people I DO hide it from are my parents... because I'd just rather them not find out until I'm steady enough to live on my own >_>;
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean *growls* My dad would completely disown me if he knew... and my mom thinks I'm bisexual, girl preference or sumfing <.<. Needless to say, I wouldn't be as comfortable as I am now if they knew... I'd still have my other university house an hour away to fall back on though. Blah, why can't people just be more understanding? It's annoying =/

Speaking of which, anyone else have troubles telling their parents? Or do yours know? If they do, how did they take it?
Oh gawd... I haven't told my Dad, and never will... but I remember when I told my mom, it's still clear as day in my mind. We were driving to the mall, and I just told her in the middle of our conversation. Provided with the fact that she once told me she wouldn't care if I was gay, I felt I could confide with her. Boy, her reaction was far from what I predicted. She was shocked, and told me it was just a phase of life and that I'd get through it eventually. She subscribed me to some magazine with lots of girls in.. uhmm.. outfits, haha =P. At some point I told her I was bisexual just to calm her down and to get her off my back D=. So much for what she said before, awwrr...

Oh my god! I should so do that sometime, sounds like like a blast, hehe =P. Building up the nerve to do that would take some time though, even for me.

=D

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Yeah! It's really fun playing with all these guys here in Mississauga, we're actually getting together tomorrow to smash it out =D. The biweeklies are hosted in Thornhill though, you should come to one sometime!
We'll see ;). I'm crazy busy until March though, and then Brawl'll be out and all that.

Oh, and I'm hosting a large tournament at my house this coming Saturday, here's the link!: http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=131494
Oh. My. God. No way. I use to live like... a minute away from there! I was at the corner of Danton and Aspen. I like, passed by your house daily on the shuttle bus :p. Too bad I'm in Ottawa until around the 7th ><!

We were driving to the mall, and I just told her in the middle of our conversation. Provided with the fact that she once told me she wouldn't care if I was gay, I felt I could confide with her. Boy, her reaction was far from what I predicted. She was shocked, and told me it was just a phase of life and that I'd get through it eventually. She subscribed me to some magazine with lots of girls in.. uhmm.. outfits, haha =P. At some point I told her I was bisexual just to calm her down and to get her off my back D=. So much for what she said before, awwrr...
That sucks somethin' hardcore. The last I ever remember my mom talking earnestly about homosexuality, I swear I remember her saying that it was "a choice". So much for telling her anytime soon. Thanks for reminding me O_o.

Somasu

Smash Ace
Eep! *falls over*

I'm guessing you're a fox then? Wolf here, hehe =3
Nope, I'm a kitty :3 *meow*

Found that out when I realized that I acted... very similarly to a cat xD

I LOVE foxes and wolves, though. A fox is what I used to be just because I liked the animal xD

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean *growls* My dad would completely disown me if he knew... and my mom thinks I'm bisexual, girl preference or sumfing <.<. Needless to say, I wouldn't be as comfortable as I am now if they knew... I'd still have my other university house an hour away to fall back on though. Blah, why can't people just be more understanding? It's annoying =/
No kidding, right? =/ Neither of my parents know about me. My mother would probaly just be shocked and confused... but I have NO idea how much my father would explode if he found out... They alreaedy both exploded when they found out I was atheist... ._. I just have a feeling that if I come out to them, they'll think "SO THAT'S WHY YOU'RE ATHEIST?!?" or something.

Oh gawd... I haven't told my Dad, and never will... but I remember when I told my mom, it's still clear as day in my mind. We were driving to the mall, and I just told her in the middle of our conversation. Provided with the fact that she once told me she wouldn't care if I was gay, I felt I could confide with her. Boy, her reaction was far from what I predicted. She was shocked, and told me it was just a phase of life and that I'd get through it eventually. She subscribed me to some magazine with lots of girls in.. uhmm.. outfits, haha =P. At some point I told her I was bisexual just to calm her down and to get her off my back D=. So much for what she said before, awwrr...
That's another fear I have about telling my parents. They tell you all this bull**** like "Oh, we'll be okay if this and this happens ^_^ It's life!" And then when it actually DOES happen, they go ****ing ape**** like it's the end of the world.

I remember back when my parents found gay porn on my computer... they asked if it was "something I'm really interested in or just a curiousity"... I said curiousity, of course.. When they asked that they also said "We'll accept any way of living you have, even if we don't agree with it." ...I think it's total bull****. Something for them just to make us feel comfortable as a "just in case" type of deal... they don't ever actually expect it to be true.

GLCH

Smash Apprentice
Intersting story.. I'm straight.. And I have a lot of gay friends.. My one friend tells people there gay and makes fun of them.. But he's gay lol.. It's pretty funny.. I hate using gay as an adjective but I've been so conditioned to it.. It's hard breaking that habit..

$BONE$

Smash Ace
I'm looking around at all the areas a lot of you come from and realize that, it might not be as easy for you guys to be gay in places that aren't California. Don't get me wrong, ignorance is everywhere but, its hidden reaally well here (from what I've experienced). In fact, where I'm from the majority of people are liberal and alternative minded moreso than what you would consider a common person I suppose, correct me if I'm wrong.

I know of some friends who are just deathly scared to come out to people rightfully so but, if you're so scared of coming out you're just trapping yourself in a box of personal fears, society and social pressures will always be there. In this day and age you have to be smart about your choices regardless of what kind of person you are, or whatever lifestyle you choose because, people will be ignorant regardless. There are all kinds of racists in this world and its not just people who gay bash you, there are people out there who will shoot you for wearing a certain color, being a certain color, saying what you want to say, believing in what you want to believe, dressing the way you want to dress, living your life the way you want to live and boy, does it goes in circles. isthiswhatwecallamerica?

As far as being gay goes, I personally feel that you just have to be smart about who you come out to, period. If you don't feel safe about coming out to a certain person then don't come out to them. If you feel totally safe then do it. Coming out to people will only help you become more true to yourself but, speaking up about what you believe will change these things. This is just from personal experience and my burning passion for hating the human race.

Elysium

Smash Lord
I know of some friends who are just deathly scared to come out to people rightfully so but, if you're so scared of coming out you're just trapping yourself in a box of personal fears, society and social pressures will always be there. In this day and age you have to be smart about your choices regardless of what kind of person you are, or whatever lifestyle you choose because, people will be ignorant regardless. There are all kinds of racists in this world and its not just people who gay bash you, there are people out there who will shoot you for wearing a certain color, being a certain color, saying what you want to say, believing in what you want to believe, dressing the way you want to dress, living your life the way you want to live and boy, does it goes in circles. isthiswhatwecallamerica?
This statement is made up of all 7 kinds of awesome.
Very well said.

Seikend

Smash Journeyman
My parents are probably the most difficult people to tell... they really are against homosexuality. At the church I have to go to some visitor gave a lecture where a large proportion was just shunning gays. Afterwards my Mum told me that she thought the visitor gave a good lecture. It was pretty difficult to keep a straight face. So I probably won't tell my parents until I'm not dependant on them.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
I hope your situation with your friend that you fooled around with evens out Darkfur, it seems like you have nothing to worry about though =D
I wish I could check your youtube link. =( I'll have to do it when I have stable internet again. Anyways, thanks for the best wishes. I haven't gotten a chance to call my friend... and it looks like I may not, but thats ok. I actually had a talk with ebony from this topic a couple of days ago, and he really kind of opened my eyes to what I was feeling, since I was so confused. So it's really not that pressing of a matter anymore. I still hope to see my friend again though.

Also, on an additional note: *twopawthumbs up* <3 Furry. I'm a Fox here. Though sometimes I feel more akin to a wolf.

I don't really hide my sexuallity in Arizona, and I think I freaked a couple of my co-workers out once when I worked at the theatre. Me and these two girls got off of work at the same time, and then as we were walking out my boyfriend surprise-called me. I answered the phone and said. "Will! How's it going, love?" And the two girls jumped out of their skin. I was hard pressed not to laugh.

That's hilarious Soma. XD Things could always be worse though. One of the guy co-workers I came out to when I worked at the theatre kept trying to convince me to have sex with him. That was really awkward, and he didn't stop until I firmly told him I was taken and asked him to please drop it. He wasn't even gay, just... uh... amorous. I don't think he cared what he did with anyone. I usually just try and forget about that guy.

Another guy I came out to though had an equally humorous reaction. We were talking about videogames and then characters we though in them that were cute. And he told me one girl from some fighting game, and my response was Fox McCloud. He froze for a sec as it sunk in, and then blushed noticeably embarassed. I continued the conversation without drawing attention to it. I don't think he would have appreciated me pointing out that I thought it was cute.

My parents are probably the most difficult people to tell... they really are against homosexuality. At the church I have to go to some visitor gave a lecture where a large proportion was just shunning gays. Afterwards my Mum told me that she thought the visitor gave a good lecture. It was pretty difficult to keep a straight face. So I probably won't tell my parents until I'm not dependant on them.

That makes me feel sick inside... :/ Especially since my mother is the same way. I've actually stood up to her saying things like that before, which only augments my suspicion that she suspects. Whether she does or not, she deffinitly knows I am not against it. Like Soma, I don't plan on telling her until I can support myself. It's hard being a Christian and Gay/Bi, not thanks to the teachings, but thanks to the way many people interpret them. *sigh*

Yukichu

Smash Apprentice
Hurray furries! I mean, I was one once, but now I'm not. Not gonna go in to details as it's not what the thread's about.

Also XD @ Darkfur's story. I could never admit to someone I found Fox hot. <_<

There's been a few people I came out to...the first one was in 8th grade. We had to vote for pe
ople for certain categories, and for "cutest boy" I put my crush on there. Then someone read it and laughed thinking I was joking, and the day after I told him I was bi since I wasn't sure at the time. He sat behind me and we always talked about it. It was really nice to have someone to discuss things about with in real life. He was a nice and open-minded boy. Very cute, too. <______<

The second time, I accidentally revealed I liked someone to a girl. Reaaaally bad choice. She would not leave me alone about it, every time she was around me she'd yell "WHO IS IT WHO IS IT WHO IS IT?!" which obviously led to other people getting involved and asking. Eventually I told her that if she guessed correctly, I'd tell her. She went through every freaking girl in the school, and then started listing off guys until she got it right. I had a bit trouble telling her she was right, though. And it was in the middle of class, so we were writing back and forth to each other.

The third time was a friend of the last person, who was like "I ABSOLUTELY PROMISE NOT TO TELL" which I never, ever believe for a second. I was forced to tell her by the previous person. ...And of course she tells someone else. Well, I don't know who or why or when or how, but it's what I'm told.

Mr.Loser

Smash Apprentice
Most of the people at work (no guys) know that I am Gay. They joke about it very quitely I might add.

As for school, well I would feel so much better telling everyone and anything with ears that I was gay,but its so hard knowing that I would lose good friends and be shunned from most anyone at the school. it truly is heartbreaking living in a little southern redneck judgemental town ._.

Can you move out of your parents house and on your own before you are 18?

KaptKRool

Smash Apprentice
Where the St Lawrence meets Lake Ontario (Tibbets
You know, making a thread specifically for people who are gay is just serving to seperate them even further from being accepted.

Don't think I'm homophobic, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being homo, hetero, or bisexual.

But to make this forum is only acting to make gays seem different from everyone else. If you really want them to be accepted, you're going to have to treat them like everybody else, and not make threads specifically for them. It's like making a thread for blacks or something, it's just going to make them stand out and seem different even more. The goal should be for them to be seen as just like everyone else, because being gay doesn't really change your status or seperate, and doesn't constitute having a seperate thread.

I know that if I were gay (Though my belief is that everyone is bisexual, they just lean to one side more), I wouldn't want myself and others like me to be seperated and singled out in a thread, I'd want to be able to talk about whatever without worrying about sexual preferences.

But congrats to the TC, you just helped to make homosexuals seem different just a little bit more. The strongest thing you can do is ignore their sexual orientation, as it has absolutely nothing to do with anything these forums represent.

Darkfur

Abbey Recorder
Can you move out of your parents house and on your own before you are 18?
I'm not sure really, but I remember looking into declaring independence from guardians and such way back when.

I'd suggest trying to avoid that though. Just stick it out for a couple more years, then try and go to college far away. The fresh start will be like a breath of fresh air, I guarantee it.

You know, making a thread specifically for people who are gay is just serving to seperate them even further from being accepted.

Don't think I'm homophobic, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being homo, hetero, or bisexual.

But to make this forum is only acting to make gays seem different from everyone else. If you really want them to be accepted, you're going to have to treat them like everybody else, and not make threads specifically for them. It's like making a thread for blacks or something, it's just going to make them stand out and seem different even more. The goal should be for them to be seen as just like everyone else, because being gay doesn't really change your status or seperate, and doesn't constitute having a seperate thread.

I know that if I were gay (Though my belief is that everyone is bisexual, they just lean to one side more), I wouldn't want myself and others like me to be seperated and singled out in a thread, I'd want to be able to talk about whatever without worrying about sexual preferences.

But congrats to the TC, you just helped to make homosexuals seem different just a little bit more. The strongest thing you can do is ignore their sexual orientation, as it has absolutely nothing to do with anything these forums represent.
I'm not sure if you realized this, but we ARE different and we are proud of who we are. This thread is a place where people who feel oppressed can be themselves without fear of ridicule and such. Theres a lot of stress thanks to the world. We need to be accepted for who we are, not just try and blend in with society. The key to acceptance is not to pretend we aren't who we are.

Differences should be celbrated, and to use one of your own examples, look at February. Black History month.

Or do you believe that true equality is only when everyone is trying too hard to be just like everybody else?

If you do not like this thread, I encourage you to not post. There are a lot of people here who really need people to talk to, and can't find it hardly anywhere else. Have a heart, man.

Your last comment was so obscenely rude by the way, that I hope you get modded for it. The Topic creator did a great thing making this thread. Your heartlessness sickens me.

Mr.Loser

Smash Apprentice
This thread is not about us just seperating ourselves from a group. It is more about giving us a group of people to relate stories about our experiences as gays. Do you really want us just randomly spamming boards with me and my boyfriend finally went all the way last night or would you prefer us make a thread for?

Yah I was kinda joking about that question, though it would always be best to know all my options

darkatma

Smash Hero

It's true that to be completely socially acceptable, mainstream society needs to embrace differences and bridge gaps, until we really have some firmer form of social equality. However, this is not the status quo, and won't be until negative discourse about gays, and flawed interpretations of the Bible/any other religious book are completely eradicated.

Until then, my uncouth uneducated classmate can ****talk and complain about how he doesn't see homosexuality work, that he would rather see
(. )( .) than <== etc.
. Of course, naturally his church has affected his views, as he is a VERY DEVOUT Christian with no tolerance for other groups (that seems to be the trend throughout history for the majority of Christianity, no tolerance for others leading to massacres, discrimination, genocides, and profiling.)

But I digress. Until fundamentalists stop spewing their poison and religious leaders preach love instead of veiled hatred, then yes, there is a need for such a topic, for gays (or any discriminated group) to be able to hear each other's stories, empathize, and support each other through their problems, especially when society will laugh at that classmate's joke rather than rebuke him for his immaturity.

You're arguing the ideal. I'm saying the ideal can't and won't happen until people who truly want betterment of society deal with this issue. Which won't happen for quite a long while.

Gays DO want to "talk about whatever without worrying about sexual preference." However, they aren't given that opportunity (or luxury, which heterosexuals take for granted) most of the time.

Hence the Gay Smashers thread.

edit: Good job Remo for making this thread.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I don't know there's much as I could say to counter KaptKRool's post as Darkfur, Mr. Loser & Darkatma did a great job covering all of the bases. But, I'll chat it up a bit.

I really try to be reasonable with people like that at first. I think they're trying to be nice, I guess, but it just comes out as ignorance. But, the big problem with this is that there are so many people in the world with viewpoints like this. This social environment we live in with never get to the point we want if ideals like this are still floating around, but fixing that is easier said than done. Technically, it's not really their fault and KaptKRool's obviously not trying to be offensive or gay-bashing (even though he came across a bit rude), but I'm just hoping he and people like him can learn to see things from another perspective before they make such firm beliefs on topics like these.

It's really all about perspective. If you aren't a member in a social minority like this, you truly have no idea what it's all about. I'm not trying to make us spectacles, really. I'm just saying if people took the time to read this thread, they'd understand many reasons why this has been a good and helpful thread to many people. And as for the relevance of this to SmashBoards? It's in the Pool Room, bud. "General discussion at its prime. Come here to talk about life, sports, or virtually anything else."

I'm pretty sure this topic falls under those guidelines. I believe I said something like this in my very first post: SmahBoards is a great community of diverse people; some of which happen to be gay, and I wanted a place where they can talk about how that affects their life, love, etc. I still don't understand after that intro plus everything that's happened in this thread, people can come in here saying that this is unnecessary to Smash Boards or (in this case) hurtful towards the gay community as a whole. Blows my mind.

edit: Good job Remo for making this thread.
Thanks, darkatma. I'm really glad this thread has been so popular and has gone as well as it has. I've had/read lots of great discussion and met loads of cool new people. *e-high five to all of the peeps in here*

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Just to further the points made by the others:

As I've said before, this is not a "we're here, we're queer" thread, and I wouldn't have posted if it was. We're just sharing and discussing the goods and bads of what we've been through, and offering advice when someone needs help with their sexuality.

Sure, we could have all of these "relationship" type things in one single thread along with all the hetro relationship discussions. But then, we may as well have one single thread to discuss EVERY single desired Brawl character, rather than having seperate threads for every character. For the same reason why a Ridley fan may not be able to really contribute to a discussion on Sigurd's possible moveset, there are somethings that a straight guy can't really help me with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom