• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Link.

soap

Smash Hero
wow bomb tech walljump just to make up for the fact that link doesnt have a real walljump of his own, so thats what u were trying to do that one time

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles

^ So i failed wraping gifts so i made a sword out of the cardboard thingy that holds the wraping paper.

so yeah XD

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Haha, that reminds me. Way back when the first whispers of Brawl were first coming out, my friend (who was a Link main back then) was looking at the Brawl stuff and was making fun of me 'cause they'd nerfed Marth's range and Shield Breaker and whatnot, and then when Brawl came out, we found out that Link had been beaten to death with like... a Nerf orchard.

soap

Smash Hero
id main link, but i dont like being fat and slow all the time
wow that came out bad, i like the change of pace, but i cant stand playing fast characters with link and not being able to do moves as they dance around my shield

i like link v. samus + ganon, and those type matchups where i can actually counterattack

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
no the problem isnt speed rly, its link needs a new mixup that can go thru a shield, like a bowser style air grab man that would be amazing, what if zair grabbed ppl?

link is like poking shields for 5 minues and sometimes getting a rly sweet combo, i wish his grab was safer!!!!!!

Sion

Island of Horizon
I've missed the chain plenty of times. All i do is lose one stock or something. If I do hit the chain, I give them a hell of a time.

1 stock < punishment chain

Skler

Smash Master
The miss means you pretty much die at 90% and above. Hitting it means you get a short combo most of the time.

Unless you're sure you can hit it don't use Link's grab.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Ninety percent seems a little low. Link's grab is laggy, but it's not a Rest. People would have had to dodge it first and then get to you before they could charge a smash, and in the mean time, you'd be able to figure out DI.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
...uh.

...not...really...

EDIT: That's kinda ambiguous. Shdf will take you a while to get comfortable with, chaingrabs will take you a while, figuring out how to combo will take you a while and spacing you'll pretty much never stop learning.

Skler

Smash Master
Link dies at 90 off missed grabs because most good characters (Fox, Sheik, Falco, Jiggs, Marth, CF) can combo into a kill move from it or just use a move that will kill you anyways. Marth tips an fsmash, CF knees, Sheik does an ftilt -> fair or just a fair, etc.

Link usually won't survive a missed grab at 90 if the opponent is close enough to punish.

Spife

Smash Master
Link dies at 90 off missed grabs because most good characters (Fox, Sheik, Falco, Jiggs, Marth, CF) can combo into a kill move from it or just use a move that will kill you anyways. Marth tips an fsmash, CF knees, Sheik does an ftilt -> fair or just a fair, etc.

Link usually won't survive a missed grab at 90 if the opponent is close enough to punish.
Even then, if they're too slow on the response, any good player can pressure you into somethig (like a roll) and just punish that.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Dunno... ninety still seems a little low for knee deaths and Sheik fairs if you're expecting them...

Skler

Smash Master
If you get kneed off the stage by CF he'll just chase you out and uair you (and he can do it twice at hookshot range). Sheik has an almost unstoppable edgeguard against Link too, or at least completely negates the hookshot.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
yeah I think 90% is a bit to low. Link should be able to live up to 120% with proper DI.

after months and months of getting ***** by fox's i found break through fighting fox.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Speaking of Fox, did you know his nair/bair have more knockback than his uncharged dsmash? True story.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
oh wow.
so yeah i was playing with Raynex and Unknown522, my link was doing good against them now. Like i would get two stocked sometimes i bring them down to one. but yeah, now I dont know what to do against FJ Nairs.

Spife

Smash Master
skler told me to jab if they sh or approach on the ground, up tilt if they full jump.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
skler told me to jab if they sh or approach on the ground, up tilt if they full jump.
mhm
jab > sh approaches.

though
Links Utilt is waaaay to slow for Fox's FJ Nair. Plus they fast fall the FJ Nair so yeah, I tried Uair, it does work but i want something safer. If fox's nair hits Link before his Uair comes out Link is going to be open for a combo. The last thing you want to do is suddenly DI fox's nair because Links Uair didnt come out fast enough.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
im drinking maple syrup and playing with the Link girls.

nah, on the real.
im thinking of ways to not get ***** by fox. im serious about this. Ive been watching Link matches, like everyone.

Spife

Smash Master
It's 12 or so hours later, but Link IS going to get ***** by Fox. You can't turn the tables. Try and slow him down, and remember, just cause it's a fighter doesn't mean you have to engage Fox. Get away from him or shield. Uair is a bad idea unless he's mid to high percents because the knock back will do nothing and you'll probably get drill shined (or what ever fox decides to do to Link).

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
yeah I only Uair when my opponent is at mid and high.
Low percent i usualy tech chase or spam.

Spife

Smash Master
I'm still not sure what I do, haven't played a fox player in a while, just people who play fox.

Top Bottom