• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Link.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
In this thread we can talk about Link and how he can be a better character. You can share your ideas, how to gimp characters, certain match ups, counterpick stages for certain charcaters, combos, how every Link players love ice cream , tricks, how to deal with certain situations and such. Also this is a good thread to ask questions since you can get different answers that could be a good options for that situation. Don't be afraid to ask because people might think you're a noob, ask anyways and brush them haters off​

*If you would like to share a video please post and i will update it so its in the first page*

Stuff I do & found out.

Links Dtilt is ****in' long. Well it was Link ditto and my friend wallhuged his Up-B and I Dtilit and it hit him, really my Link would get hit by the UpB but i guess not.

Adding on, this is useful against characters with soft recoveries and Spacies. Use D-Tilts when they're trying to sweetspot, then when you hit them they'll go up and use UpB so when they come back down they'll get spiked. This is only works on low - mid percent. Though it still works on high percent but instead of UpB, follow up with Dair or Uair. Also this will play around your opponents mind since Links D-Tilt could be gay and spike.

Links Ftilt vs. Fox Firefox sweetspot. So i was messing around with my friend and i told him to sweetspot Fox's firefox recovery. I was using Links Smashes and Tilts. What surpirsed me is F-Tilt. It seems like F-Tilit>Sweetspot Firefox. Well i could be wrong, maybe my friend wasnt sweetspotting properly. anyways discuss.

My creative Link edge gaurd : the stoser? i need a name for it.
Grab bomb OR use Sklering > grab the edge > Ledge hop (don't DI IN the stage but DI towards the EDGE) > Throw bomb to the wall > Jump Tech > Nair or w.e.

*so i started doing this in smashfest and friendlies and i've actually taken out stocks using this Tech, ALSO THIS IS A VERY RISKY MOVE. I don't bother using this move in Tourney matches.
** i will get a video of this tech and hitting people IN matches so people don't think its scripted -_-
***video coming soon.

anyways what do you think about Link vs. Peach or Jigs match up?

how do you punish Jigs missed rest?

This is what I do. I'm not sure if this is the best way to deal with it but please add in.
%0-20: Charged Fsmash with second hit.
%20-60(Low ceiling stage): Charged Dsmash.
%20-70(High Ceiling stage): Charged Dsmash.
%70+: D-Air.

Add On

Link's ftilt
Link's ftilt > most character's sweetspots. It hits pretty **** low, lower than any of his other moves. The jab also hits really low (both first and second hits), low enough to stop sweetspots that are a bit off, it's worth trying if you don't have time for anything else (like if you knock a spacie off and they try to DJ sweetspot).
MARTH EDGEGUARD GO!
Nair off the edge. If he's used his double jump, and you hit him.... he's gonna be close to dead, though you may need to edgehog him. If you naired him off the edge all you have to do is up+B back though.

Ftilt can also hit him out of his sweetspot, though your timing has to be pretty **** good, because I don't think you can space around the hit of his up+B, so you just have to make sure your hitbox is going to come out right as his head/hand hits it. If you have time to set it up, it's pretty **** to jump with your back turned, throw down a bomb, and follow up with a nair (or if you're feeling incredibly sexy with extra stocks a dair).

but usually I just stick with a nair off the edge, unless I can get on the edge. If I can get on the edge, I'll force him over me if he can make it, ledgehop past him into an Up+B/dair (depending on percents). (shrug)
Controlling the stage with projectiles
oh yeah so i was watching sliq play, this guy puts bombs all over the stage. It limits your space. You'd be like under a platform with two bombs planted. Then hes gonna be like in the middle of the stage throwing everything at you. Good strategy.

anyways.

kk gogogo.

4Serial

Smash Lord
you can throw a boomerang past jiggs and get both f-smashes in at like any percent ^^
the walltechjump > n-air is too good
d-tilt is good if people sweetspot and up+b won't get them
it's also good at low percents because i keep teching it and i miss it after i get to 130% and i eat a d-air to the face LOL
yeah f-tilt is good lol

against floaties, i use bombs a lot and it's easy to combo into n-airs and u-airs and f-airs, and everything
bomb > u-air is probably the safest way to kill her other than punishing a rest with something.
i don't try using d-airs unless you're in the right position because it's easy to dodge cuz it's kinda slow, and you could get rested

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Agree'd.

Also if your facing jigs limit
1) Grab
2) UpB
3) Dsmash
4) Dair
if you missed any of those, it could cause you a stock or the game.
oh yeah Andy, when i faced Kyle I had to spam against his jigs badly. The match was like 5 minutes long. I like played super safe.

Skler

Smash Master
Link's ftilt > most character's sweetspots. It hits pretty **** low, lower than any of his other moves. The jab also hits really low (both first and second hits), low enough to stop sweetspots that are a bit off, it's worth trying if you don't have time for anything else (like if you knock a spacie off and they try to DJ sweetspot).

4Serial

Smash Lord
yeah, you basically have to camp jiggs to win with link
you don't get to try anything cool and fancy against jiggs cuz then you get *****
basically spam a lot of bombs, shield a lot, n-air whenever, you build up like 90% and bomb > u-air or f-air lol
i guess f-air is good for spacing too
and mix up recoveries, don't waste your hookshot, etc
throw bombs at her when she's recovering and stuff

if they pound your shield, does up+b out of shield work?

f-tilt ***** recoveries. can it hit a sweetspotting marth? i don't play enough marths to know.. lol jab

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
mhm.

when jigs pounds your sheild, you can UpB to punish. though be careful because if you miss you're going to get rested. Also this might be weird but when jigs running hits your sheild and ends up infront of you grab, if jigs ends up behind you up b but if shes at a low percent run away and throw projectiles at her.

how do you properly edge guard Marth ? i throw down bombs when hes sweet spotting lol.

HiIH

Smash Lord
MARTH EDGEGUARD GO!

Nair off the edge. If he's used his double jump, and you hit him.... he's gonna be close to dead, though you may need to edgehog him. If you naired him off the edge all you have to do is up+B back though.

Ftilt can also hit him out of his sweetspot, though your timing has to be pretty **** good, because I don't think you can space around the hit of his up+B, so you just have to make sure your hitbox is going to come out right as his head/hand hits it. If you have time to set it up, it's pretty **** to jump with your back turned, throw down a bomb, and follow up with a nair (or if you're feeling incredibly sexy with extra stocks a dair).

but usually I just stick with a nair off the edge, unless I can get on the edge. If I can get on the edge, I'll force him over me if he can make it, ledgehop past him into an Up+B/dair (depending on percents). (shrug)

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
kk i updated.

like what i did first post =).

oh yeah so i was watching sliq play, this guy puts bombs all over the stage. It limits your space. You'd be like under a platform with two bombs planted. Then hes gonna be like in the middle of the stage throwing everything at you. Good strategy.

Spife

Smash Master
Spair, spillaring, 900+% breaking free etc etc.

Uh I guess I could share this since everything else should be intuitive. Link can do a run off nair and recover (I'm not sure if it's under any circumstance but I've done/seen it done on PS and FD) but you need to do the nair right away, if you wait at all you're not coming back. Also, if you manage to hold forward and press A and do a fair you're dead. This isn't my style (as is scraaaa-hogs) but it would seem like a good idea to use if you don't have time to get to the ledge.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Spair, spillaring, 900+% breaking free etc etc.

Uh I guess I could share this since everything else should be intuitive. Link can do a run off nair and recover (I'm not sure if it's under any circumstance but I've done/seen it done on PS and FD) but you need to do the nair right away, if you wait at all you're not coming back. Also, if you manage to hold forward and press A and do a fair you're dead. This isn't my style (as is scraaaa-hogs) but it would seem like a good idea to use if you don't have time to get to the ledge.
yup it could be done in every stage.

Wang.

Smash Apprentice
Young link is better in every single way.

Hes faster
Hes more agile
Hes smaller
He drinks milk

I don't see why anyone would use link?

idea

Smash Master
for punishing rest...sliq was fsmashing me almost every time i missed one against his link, but i don't remember if he ever actually got in the second hit. so i dunno if that's the best idea or not, i don't know how strong link's moves are, but d-air is usually the move i'm most afraid of when that happens. although 4serial's idea sounds like it might work pretty well. you ARE link...maybe throw up a bomb and charge fsmash? or you could try dairing so that i hit the bomb and the upairing me after that >=D

in general...your running away and spamming + lots of nair works pretty well against me. makes me have to play really carefully, except i don't have a projectile to guard me while i think and stuff.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
how do you punish Jigs missed rest?

This is what I do. I'm not sure if this is the best way to deal with it but please add in.
#0-20: Charged Fsmash with second hit.
#20-60(Low ceiling stage): Charged Dsmash.
#20-70(High Ceiling stage): Charged Dsmash.
#70+: D-Air.

I found out that a fully charged arrow --> fair/nair/dair/uair does nicely
lolz

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I saw that Linkaggedon Video, that guy made Link look good. Link is still a fun character to use.

4Serial

Smash Lord
I saw that Linkaggedon Video, that guy made Link look good. Link is still a fun character to use.
that's brawl... lol

and you can't do run off edge > n-air on yoshi's story I THINK. I'm pretty sure you can't.

Against Marth, z-drop bombs > n-air/d-air/f-air/f-tilt/d-tilt/up+b
i dunno, a lot of stuff can be done with slow dropped bombs if you can time it.
it ***** most good sweetspots

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Young link is better in every single way.

Hes faster
Hes more agile
Hes smaller
He drinks milk

I don't see why anyone would use link?
Young Link really isn't better though. He lacks KO options and doesn't space as well. He's lower on the tier list anyway. I dunno, Link just feels like a more solid character, although Young Link seems like he'd be better.

I think I remember reading that all of Young Link's KO options are very punishable.
Linkaggedon? You mean the one where he showcases the jump out of shield, dthrow bomb, falling fair, jab jab fsmash over and over again? With occasional accidental stagespikes on people who don't know how to tech?

And is in Brawl?

Thirty thumbs dooown.

HiIH

Smash Lord
4serial said:
and you can't do run off edge > n-air on yoshi's story I THINK. I'm pretty sure you can't.
Wrong. I'm pretty sure you can. If you can't then you can Short hop it.

Also too bad Young Link can't COMBO THE **** OUTTA SOMETHING WITH UPAIRS/UTILTS, because his stubby "tool" won't "protect" "him".

Skler

Smash Master
Young Link handles all the top tiers better, but with that being said, almost everyone handles the top tiers better than Link.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
Link's too good at punishment.
Young link is a low tier fox......
quick, and agile, but no punishment game (exept the occasional d-smash), and less knockback.

Plus, he's floaty AND light.
Link is floaty and heavy, so his recovery is better.
Link is a low tier sheik, only slower =/
ultimate projectiles, amazing fairs, and a wierd up B!

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Correction. Pikachu is the low tier Fox. High knockback usmash, wall infinites, semi-spike gimp kills, vert-kill follow ups, long recovery, unwaveshineable, fast off the ground, short, fast knockback, small... etc.

HiIH

Smash Lord
personally I think of, "Let's talk about me, let's talk about I" etc etc

you probably haven't heard it because you're not in the South and hear country EVERYWHERE.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
woah, again.... wtf am i talking about.
ur right pikachu is the low tier fox! ugh im so confused.
i need to drink some blue potion.....

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
woah, again.... wtf am i talking about.
ur right pikachu is the low tier fox! ugh im so confused.
i need to drink some blue potion.....
no, drinking jesus juice is going to be more effective.

it would be so ballin' if Link had a yellow custome in Melee.

Spife

Smash Master
Tid bits
You can run off nair on YS
you can not (as far as I can tell) catch a bomb with Z that you dropped with Z (enlighten me if there is another way to drop -_-)
you can not wavedash off on of the lower platforms on YS -> bair -> Dj

Uhmm as far as I can tell:
You can upsmash throw a bomb and wave dash forward and then back TWICE to catch (I think it's possible to make 5 wave dashes though)
if you soft throw up the bomb you can make 3, Or a 4th back into the bombs explosion

anyone have information on the height of platforms across the stages?

HiIH

Smash Lord
Skler claims you can(catch a bomb you dropped with z in midair), but you have to drop it, fast fall, and catch it again. (see Link recovery technique thread.)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I think I read something like... you can't Z item-action twice in the air, so if you Z dropped it you could land then jump then Z catch it...

I think. I haven't done it.

HiIH

Smash Lord
For some reason I find that I can combo the frick outta Marth's on YS. I think it's because I can platform camp with utilts on the bottom two, but I'm unsure.

Top Bottom