• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Link.

Skler

Smash Master
Brinstar is a stage I usually avoid because it's very anti-hookshot. I take spacies to battlefield, it makes them easier to edgeguard (no wall riding to sweetspot easily) and is big enough for Link's recovery to matter. The platforms don't do him any harm either when it comes to avoiding laser spam.

I take everyone but jiggly, captain falcon and Fox to RC. Falco is pretty iffy on RC, on one hand his lasers become kind of useless, but on the other his crappy recovery doesn't really matter anymore (although his fall speed, really high jump height and average dash makes his platform to platform movement predictable). Falco also has some pretty stupid gimps there, but it's so easy to tell where he'll be that you don't need to worry about it.

HiIH

Smash Lord
(shrug) I find the sides are narrow enough that the lack of hookshot doesn't really hurt, but that's just me.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
No.
This thread is too beautiful to be controlled by the likes of you.
Link lives on!

Err, so back on track, i think brinstar's good against fox because of his semispike (up-b) potential.
Also because link is heavy, and has good air recovery, the fire(acid or w/e it is) shouldn't be a big problem. and fox is a fastfaller, and has bad air recovery, which means if u can gimp him into the flames, and he's SCREWED!

Falco on the other hand, has good knockback and priority, which means he can knock you off pretty easily, and have good edgeguarding (the spike) so you can be pretty f'd there.

And skler...... nice combo video! epic use of link's midair jump after the short hopped bair! :D 5 stars!

Epok

Smash Ace
Here are some of the trick I use.

Double jump down throw/bomb drop out of shield

bomb drop waveland- situational but sexy

ledge cancelled-spin attack for edge guarding- it's quick and you dont have to turn around.

heres a fun one: hold sheild while bomb explodes, if you hit your opponent you can areial outta shiled. VERY situational but sweet as a random mix up.

arrow to grab- give enough stun to get a grab if short hopped, or they sheild it and you can still grab.

what do ya think????

Skler

Smash Master
If you short hop an arrow at somebody they will smash you, shield it and grab before Link's grab comes out or just walk away slowly, seeing as both Link and the arrow are slow.

The others are all fine.

I'll give you guys the most important Link tip you'll ever get:

NAIR.

To help remember it I like to think of the sentence "Never Attack Insane Roys", the sentence also helps remind you to camp against everyone camping works against. Now go win.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
I'm sorry skler.
But that was the best advice ive ever seen. my new signature. fo sho'

(i can relate because i probably play against the best roy player alive, and i sometimes don't know what to do. and i dont realize camping = good)

since i frequently play foxes, and falcos, im not so used to camping, but approaching!

FlipX

Smash Ace
Ya, whenever im link I just spam shffld nairs to approach, and if you can get falco off the ledge even at low percents he is pretty much gone so focus on getting him off the stage and your life becomes a lot easier than if you are trying to like up+b him from mid stage or w/e.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i threw link rang right and i got hit off the stage without my double jump, then i scrah, rang comes back cancels my up b.. gay.

Skler

Smash Master
The rang can't cancel Link's upB in mid move or else Link's recovery would be really broken. Are you sure you weren't just about to upB and ended up catching the rang instead?

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
The rang can't cancel Link's upB in mid move or else Link's recovery would be really broken. Are you sure you weren't just about to upB and ended up catching the rang instead?
yeah i think it was about to up B then it canceled.

Shaeman111

Smash Ace
well, when i took ur advice flip, i got carried away!
i grabbed falco, threw up, up tilted, then followed DI and shffl naired, which knocked him off the cliff at like 60%

then i knocked him out of his midair jump by up-b edge cancelling at the edge, so i just knicked him with a couple weak up-b slashes (if u kno what im talking about)

then he charges up-b just under me, and i bair from the edge (without jumping) and then hooked myself back on for an edgehog.......
I WENT CRAZY WITH IT lol.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I heard Scraaaaa at zero gets you ***** cause IT'S A BAD IDEA.
usually when my opponent is at low percent i use Links projectiles to rack up damage cause if you sword fight them, they can CC to Usmash (assuming your facing fox)

Spife

Smash Master
usually when my opponent is at low percent i use Links projectiles to rack up damage cause if you sword fight them, they can CC to Usmash (assuming your facing fox)
I'm usually playing defensive against any fox. I've asked skler countless times and he has told me jabs and uptilts. Jabs **** a lot of approaches, and up tilt juggles would be grrrrrrreat but you can't juggle fox till 40% ish (I Think) I know you can't do it at 0 at least.

Spacing fairs against Fox is my favskies too.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I'm usually playing defensive against any fox. I've asked skler countless times and he has told me jabs and uptilts. Jabs **** a lot of approaches, and up tilt juggles would be grrrrrrreat but you can't juggle fox till 40% ish (I Think) I know you can't do it at 0 at least.

Spacing fairs against Fox is my favskies too.
yeah everytime i land an arial i usually jab.

so like Nair Jab Jab Wavedash back twice, i use this sometimes and it works nicely.

It creates space =D

Spife

Smash Master
yeah everytime i land an arial i usually jab.

so like Nair Jab Jab Wavedash back twice, i use this sometimes and it works nicely.

It creates space =D
I aerial -> dsmash way to much. It's okay but aerial -> jab has so many more options.

I can't say though that I've ever done well against a very good fox. Skill>Tiers so I destroy people who are worse than me though (there aren't many now thanks to brawl .-.).

Against Fox at low percents I drop nairs on their approach, throw out some retreating nairs if they're rushing or just jab. Direct projectile's are a bad idea imo because if they reflect it it cuts off your approach lane.

My favorite to do though is pull a bomb and read their movements. It's usually pretty obvious when they realize you have a bomb and they're waiting for you to throw it so they can block (reflect in this case). Dash dance around, jump towards them and up throw, then you can go punish.

Chances are they aren't moving as you're coming down and/or very confused. It should only work once (if it even works). If it doesn't work it's put a projectile in a different place that they'll have to watch out for anyway.

Er yes. Go Link.

Spife

Smash Master
lmfao.
*grabs fox, back throw, fox illisions .. SCRAHH!! misses because the Fox sweet spotted
Fox Ledge hops dairs so you're on ledge side, shine wave shine-spike*

0-10 death combo lol
Fix'd
Just kidding.
But seriously.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Fix'd
Just kidding.
But seriously.
this really sucks.
Stage: low ceiling platform stage: Yoshis Island and FoD
Links percent: low.
Fox waveshines Link twice. Instead of waveshining you across, Fox decides to Usmash. Not done yet, Fox follows with Uair, hits. lands on PLATFORM, Uair x 2.. Link dies.
this more ****ed up that Fox waveshining you or fox camping you for a Usmash kill.

-Hoggle-

Smash Journeyman
Link needs to be moved to the bottom of mid tier so that low tier tournaments can be balanced out without having that Link's brokeness disrupting the balance of scrub tier play.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Advice from a fox: create space; it' s ur primary objective considering fox's objective is to box out ur space.

Link NEEDS this space to take advantage of all the **** he has anyways

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
this is madness.
Link boards is soo dead =(
French Vanilla
lmfao.
K um so when Link is getting shield pressured with shines what are we suppose to do?
i find buffer rolling but sometimes they still get me =(
also i nair out, works when it hits.

Top Bottom