• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Link.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Thanks guys. I will try all this **** out. We Link players need to have as much of his gameplay down as possible so yeah.

Random question being thrown, I got grabbed out of my jab from an fair at times (only against Marth) when I was playing against midwest people. Was it because I was doing it wrong at times or at certain spacings, Marth can just do that because his grab range is ********?

Edit: Glad my vids actually helped somebody. I just wish I had vids of me vs moogle or me vs jmoan which I think were pretty good Link vs Sheik matches. I then could have gotten advice on how to get past Sheik platform needle camping, too. >_>

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Getting grabbed out of jabs is no surprise - most jabs are shieldgrabbable. Also, Marth's grab range is HUGE.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
platform needle camping is so gay LOL.
but yeah rang up if your under the cross platform and stay under the platform but lean towards to edge area to avoid needles. when sheik comes in its really dangerous cause Sheik can just slap Link aorund.

i've been trying to think of ways how to counter needle to grab by sheik and laser to grab by falco =(

bladeofapollo

Smash Ace
So I was playing a teams match yesterday and I discovered the coolest set up. Bomb thrown up to grab-release over the edge.

Melee's grab-release occurs when the grabber gets hit by an attack w/ knockback. After this occurs, the grab victim is sent away at a low angle, in the same manner as a pseudo-spike. If this is done at the middle of the stage, little happens. But at the EDGE, this has good potential.

Now usually this only happens in teams, as one team mate grabs the opponent and the other team mate jabs the grabber to knock the opponent off the stage, but Link can do it by himself!

It's horribly impractical, but it's a nifty idea. It requires a LOT of forethought and an equal amount of luck. The only three characters I can think of it working on off the top of my head are Falcon, Ganon, and Sheik due to their immense up-B lag.

The set up is knock them off the stage, pull out a bomb, and hog their edge. When the land on the stage, ledge-hop past them to throw bomb upwards and then turn around and grab. Hopefully they'll be in enough lag for the grab to be fast enough. But from their, you're set. Think about it, it's pretty cool to see. I'll get back to you guys later w/ some implementation research.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
hey anyone has noticed that links dash is the same crap as his walking? im sure is the same speed,now i just walk instead of dashing bcuz it gives me more options XD

Spife

Smash Master
hey anyone has noticed that links dash is the same crap as his walking? im sure is the same speed,now i just walk instead of dashing bcuz it gives me more options XD
Except dash attack!

I'm gonna **** around later and come up with some stupid questions, hopefully hard questions to answer. Then we can stump M2K. Then he can play Rink to answer my questions and simultaniously realize he's been a tier ***** this whole time and play Link (who is low tier, and more honnorable than fox) THEN Link's metagame improves.

Any flaws in my planz?

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
So I have a question about spin attack edgehogging. Does any part of the attack actually hit ur opponent if they go above the edges sweetspot or is its only purpose edgehogging? Just asking because it really looks like the entire attack is cancelled.

Spife

Smash Master
So I have a question about spin attack edgehogging. Does any part of the attack actually hit ur opponent if they go above the edges sweetspot or is its only purpose edgehogging? Just asking because it really looks like the entire attack is cancelled.
It has hitboxes if that's what you're asking. So yes, you could give them their up-b/airdodge back. Also, it has the hitboxes of an aerial up-b (you're in the air I know but hear me out) meaning no pseudo spike. I'd use it more if it got me to the edge and spiked even lower than on stage up-b but noooooooo.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i personally like to jump the gun with a dair on practically anyone XD

but if you wanna play safe,i would say MOONWALK to it, is pretty fun, and a lot easier than wavedashing(at least with link)and is faster than jumping to it(i think)

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I just was wondering if it was worth adding to my edgeguard arsenal. I do edge roll and run off with an nair depending on the situation. Also I wavedash off with an nair at times cause it is effective too.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
i know lovo got some edge guarding knowledge..

he just doesnt wanna share it =(

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Im not ussually able to up-b edgeguard cause most ppl sweetspot the edge unless its a combo finisher by the edge lol.

Top Bottom