• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about Link.

onedayafter7

Smash Apprentice
lol. that samus is dumb. he just like hung there and you missed the first time and he just stayed there and let you spike him the second time. wow.

Spife

Smash Master
lol. that samus is dumb. he just like hung there and you missed the first time and he just stayed there and let you meteor smash him the second time. wow.
And I take it they didn't meteor recover either -.- the dtilt is flawed and slow.

metashinryu

Smash Ace
i have a move i dunno if it was already used:on FD edge throw boomerang(smash one if you like) pull a bomb then wait for the boomerang to comeback and throw the bomb, if you do it right the boomerang hits the bomb and pulls it a little to the side of boomerangs comeback and travels diagonally down, ideal to link/samus chain-comeback(dunno official name sorry) screwing up.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
before around like 06,07 and early 08 i played mainly black Link. but then after that i changed it to Red.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
so ugh yeah.

i came to a conclusion that i need to get a new controller. Like a brand new one, ordering it online. The control stick in my controller goes up randomly. Links FJ Nair Dj Nair turns to Fj Nair Dj Uair..

combo set up all dai.. LOL

vitorswimer

Smash Rookie
Cancel the spin attack in the edge is good to edgeguard, you can use it with mind game.
example:When marth is out of the stage, you can pretend don't hold the edge when he comes hold the edge you use this technique.

When possible if you use the hook shot without air dodge it is good for comeback to the stage, air dodge has so much lag so link stays vulnerable in this moment.

How use the projects? I recommend see Aniki's videos.

Skrah

Smash Ace
Cancel the spin attack in the edge is good to edgeguard, you can use it with mind game.
example:When marth is out of the stage, you can pretend don't hold the edge when he comes hold the edge you use this technique.

When possible if you use the hook shot without air dodge it is good for comeback to the stage, air dodge has so much lag so link stays vulnerable in this moment.

How use the projects? I recommend see Aniki's videos.
I don't see how doing the airdodge makes Link vulnerable. It's actually better to airdodge>sweetspot with hookshot than just hookshot. Yes it can work once or twice as a surprise but its much better airdodging first. the "lag" time you say airdodge has is actually the time link is INvulnerable,more or less, so I dont get your point. you can also more or less aim the sweetspot with the airdodge and even stall in the air to mess the opponents edgeguard.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
The lag time is the time I use as Sheik / Marth to position myself for back air to kill Link with no chance of him coming back.

Air dodge with hookshot is probably the safest one, don't get me wrong, but it's not safe enough to not warrant some mixups.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
recovering vs. sheik and marth is challenging.

I was facing KK this weekend and yeah he kept shutting down my hookshot recovery with Bair edge-guard. I also tried to mix up my my pull from the grapple but I still got knocked off.

*thinks it over how to over come this problem*

help..

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Links spin attack is lame.
Marth can ledge hop Dair beating the spin attack. =(
Sheik can ledge hop Nair or Bair knocking Link off of his Spin Attack. If you used your hook lready then you pretty much screwed.

hmm I think i got a plan recovering againt Sheik

Skrah

Smash Ace
Yeah, I know that airdodge>hookshot has its weaknesses, but I was just refuting to what vitorsimer said. It is the safest possible choice.

I'm intrigued Stos lol.

And help i'm starting to slack with link :[

vitorswimer

Smash Rookie
I don't see how doing the airdodge makes Link vulnerable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSWgqh5d8UI

31-33s and 1min 53

It's actually better to airdodge>sweetspot with hookshot than just hookshot.
it depends on the situation

I know that most times with air dodge is better but sometimes only hook shot is the best option .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrXWIPaoR34
1:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjIDDckp3r4
3:59

About recovering vs. sheik and marth
boomerang it's help a lot, hook shot no air dodge in some situations it is good, to give preference when possible in leaving the hook for last and use first up B.

Sorry for the English, I'm Brazilian.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I dunno have you tried like... spacing the Spin Attack so that you rise over the platform, but outwards more, so that you're out of ledgehop dair range? You could kinda bait the Marth into trying to spike you then drop onto the edge after the whiff.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jc_XFDK1P8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jc_XFDK1P8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klo5iF8xQlU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvfdAWd_Aw (Illusion stab edgeguard son)

So I went basically all Link these past two tourneys and since I love this character, I want to play him a bit more. In order to do that, you bros need to help me out. Just try to not point out the obvious mistakes. Fox and Falco help would be especially nice. I think I got the sheik and falcon matchup much better down than those two **** heads from space. If the vids from the second to last tourney I went to go up, I will put them up, too. There were no bracket matches of me recorded in this tourney and for teams I went Falcon, so those are also not put up (my partner was counting on me johns). I don't want to make a new thread cause I think it would be a waste of time and bandwidth space for a thread on my Link.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I just gotta ask NES n00b...Why don't you use dair?
Laggy, not great hitbox, and there isn't that great of a reward unless they are a light floaty character. I use it though just not often.

spam more
like switch up from spamming to close combat.
also fox and falco are gay to fight.
So should I run away and spam or should I look like I am going to approach but like pull out a bomb or throw boomerang just outside of punishable range? Got any details on how to spam against Spacies and Falcon too I guess since I don't spam against him much either.

Edit: Will be at midwest tourney so will not respond till like sunday or monday so no one be like "He isn't reading this" or whatever cause I will....eventually.

El_LoVo

Smash Ace
mix it up. The stupidest **** will work at some point, just keep it safe.
I find it is alot easier to fight a fox when I make them approach me.
Spam from a safe distance but don't be afraid to just dash dance on the other side of the field. It is ****ing annoying but **** the other guy , they are using fox.
Just remeber that the only reason you are spamming is to land a solid hit that'll lead into a combo or knock fox of the stage. Then you edgeguard.
Don't try to grab fox if he approaches with an aireal, you'll probably just get shined.

Falcon is a ***** but I don't play againts him that well from lack of experience and he is a *****

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
sorry about the late response Nes_Noob
watch your videos right now.
imma edit this post in a while so yeah.

- Dont be afraid to run off or jump off to nair when fox or falco is charging their firebird/fox. Second game vs. sleepy in PS against his Falco he was charging his firebird and Link just stood there. One nair edge guard means one stock off falco unless hes at like low percent.

- When you Dthrow falco on platform your basically covering most of his options.

Falco stands up, you can: grab to combo ie. Uthrow Dair? , Scrah & Dsmash.
Falco get-up attack, you can: Sheild: grab or scrah oos.
Falco rolls away, you can: grab or running scrah.
Falco rolls behind, you can: Dsmash, Scrah or turn around grab?

those are just some options you can do. you can like Dthrow and drop down Uair.
Also when you see them rolling after the Dthrow you can Dair.

- Mix up your recovery. I see Link always Double jumping to Nair and Falco would just Bair XD. Wow everyone bair is ****** Link recovery. You can air dodge, air dodge hookshot, just hookshot, spaced Up B so Falcos Dair doesnt hit Link but still grabs the edge.

- Also i recommend every Link main to use their bubble sheild (bubble sounds cooler than light) LOL.

- Against Falco when he Shine your sheild your FJ Dair jump oos to Fj Uair. From there your in a juggling situation, Uairs, Utits, Sh Nair to Running attack? to more Utilts?

Your Link is really sexy. I like how you pressure your opponents sheild, its really fast. Nair Jab mix up all dai. I also like how you place your Fsmashes, really really nice. When you Dthrow Falco to tech chase double Fsmash..i eyes dropped. Also nice way of dealing with Sheik. I learned a lot from that match, Uair and Nair sheik all dai LOL. .. SEX DI on that marth Fsmash LOL nice. Illusion Stab kill all dai. Link dittos was fun to watch haha LOL Dair Spike kill at the end, same with the sheik. Daaaamn, your Link is sexy. You opened my eyes into using more Uairs against Sheik and Marth & bombs against Marth. Also your Nair Jab pressure. your Link is fun to watch and hopefully you stay with Link =D.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Random info. i need opinions.

Link Up-throw to down-air

Fox
Up-throw Short-hop down-air: 55% - 75%
Up-throw Full-Jump down-air: 75% - 90%

Falco
Up-throw Short-hop down-air: 55% - 75%

Captain Falcon
Up-throw Short-hop down-air: 50% - 75%

Link Edge Guard Options

Link can

- Forward-tilt: C. Falcon, Doctor Mario, Falco, Fox, Game and Watch, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, Kirby, Link, Luigi, Mario, Marth, Ness, Peach, Roy, Samus, Young Link & Zelda

- Jump/run off neutral-air: C. Falcon, Doctor Mario*, Falco (firebird), Fox (Fire Fox), Game and Watch*, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Jigglypuff*, Kirby*, Link, Luigi*, Mario*, Marth*, Roy, & Young Link

- Edge drop double-jump back-air or neutral-air: C. Falcon, Doctor Mario, Falco (firebird), Fox (Fire Fox), Game and Watch, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Link, Luigi*, Mario, Marth*, Roy, Samus & Young Link

- Down-tilt + …:

- Down-smash +...:

- Forward-smash +…:

- Up B: Bowser, C. Falcon, Donkey Kong, Falco (may squeeze), Fox (may squeeze), Game and Watch, Ganondorf, Ice Climbers, Kirby, Ness, Peach (missed sweet-spot), Pichu (missed sweet-spot), Pikachu (missed sweet-spot) & Sheik (missed sweet-spot)

* risky

I am not done yet haha. I still need to make a final copy for the edge guarding thingy and yeah.

feedback would be nice =D

Top Bottom