• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kong Kollege: Diddy Kong Tactical Discussion

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
So, I found and watched some of your videos from Bowser's Revenge 10. Learned a few things- particularly, your usage of up-B (killed MK clean at 110%!), dash attack from platforms, airdodge cancelled throws, and dthrow. Excellent Diddy.

I feel like you might benefit from using more bananas and nair. I saw a few positions where a nair would have hit or continued a combo, and bananas were generally underutilized. Was this because Infinity was really good at using them as well?
I appreciate you looking me up lol

I wasn't playing my best there for sure, but to be honest that was one of the reasons I didn't pluck as many nanners. I definitely found myself saying the same thing actually about nair when I rewatched the sets later. There are lots of times where I'm basically committing too hard to one option instead of looking into what covers the most of my opponent's option, but nice observation!

EDIT: If you use skype, go ahead and gimme your username. We're making like the Ness guys and starting a skype group

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I appreciate you looking me up lol

I wasn't playing my best there for sure, but to be honest that was one of the reasons I didn't pluck as many nanners. I definitely found myself saying the same thing actually about nair when I rewatched the sets later. There are lots of times where I'm basically committing too hard to one option instead of looking into what covers the most of my opponent's option, but nice observation!

EDIT: If you use skype, go ahead and gimme your username. We're making like the Ness guys and starting a skype group
PMing you the username. I have most smashers on AIM but I can use Skype.

I really need to get some videos online for critique of my own. Thanks for getting your sets up. I always find watching my own videos helps :)

Last edited:

Youngster Joey

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4871-5018-1679
you guys are starting a diddy skype group? :O maybe i'd be fit to join if i actually had a main ;~;

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Hey guys, I figured it's time to introduce myself around here... for those of you who don't know I'm originally a Brawl Ganon main, now maining Diddy in PM. I'm from Chicago (easily one of the top 3 PM regions right now), and I've been getting top 8 at all of our locals lately--some of which have 60+ entrants--and taking some big names in the process. Haven't had a lot of opportunity to prove myself outside of Chicago, but I'll be going to Shuffle V this weekend so keep a look out for me. Also I'm always down for some Dolphin netplay so hit me up on Skype (KradenEPC) if you want to play.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
I'm really happy the Diddy threads are alive again. For awhile there were like 4-5 people even viewing them.

Major AZ tournament this Weekend, going to try to prove myself as being not total scrub tier haha. Disqo (if he comes when socal figures out their carpool situation, idk they lost a driver) will probably outplace me (he better get seeded higher if we don't do pools) but I think I will do fine as long as I don't run in to too many top tier players. I also really want to prove I can get on our Power rankings list, our list right now is really fraudulent as I beat or out-placed numbers 8 through 10 at the last two tournaments yet I'm not on it yet >.>

GuruKid

Smash Ace
You and Disqo, grand finals. Diddy-O's. Make it happen!

Took a small break after Apex due to IRL stuff but I wanna get back into the game full-force now that the NY/NJ region is seeing more tournament activity.

also when i use bananas i tend to mess up follow ups because people tech them... does anyone else have this problem?? ;~;
Against most characters Diddy is fast enough to techchase against all tech options if the banana is thrown relatively close (about 2-3 diddy lengths away on average) or if you trip with banana dthrow; it's all about knowing the "sweetspot" banana throw range... then predicting/reacting to what option they use.

Last edited:

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Its disqo_bunny

Too Ez right?

The ground bounce from sideB jump starts activating around 50-60% and so on.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
yeah I brought it up a page ago or something. According to the guide/hitbox thread it has a ground bounce at higher percents. I've only experimented it on zelda as thats who my main training partner primarily plays. All i could get was a hard knockdown after like 65%, assuming that is when a foot stool would give similar results.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Yes hard knockdown/ground bounce. Same thing, different wording. Hard knockdown usually pertains to other fighters, but since we can tech most hits on stage, ground bounce is a better term.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Oh that makes sense. I always associated ground bounce with the bounce that you get when you land a meteor on a grounded opponent. Just semantics difference.

And the knockdown you get from this and footstools are tech-able but very hard to react to I'm assuming. there is so much I want to learn and incorporate when I really should just be working on basics and actually learning smash.

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Yeah I've never heard that term, I assumed you meant a bounce like a jab reset, and I was like "hmm I thought it was a little strong for that."

Anyways I just got back from a local, I think I got 5th. Got some juicy vids recorded, including a tournament set with Trip where we Diddy dittoed game 2. They should be uploaded tomorrow.

tripwire

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I've never heard that term, I assumed you meant a bounce like a jab reset, and I was like "hmm I thought it was a little strong for that."

Anyways I just got back from a local, I think I got 5th. Got some juicy vids recorded, including a tournament set with Trip where we Diddy dittoed game 2. They should be uploaded tomorrow.
Yeah Im still salty I have not beat you in a set yet. Going Olimar 1st was a bad move. Swear I started throwing bananas to buy thinking time. Maybe next time gg's.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
The secret to diddy dittos is: There is no spoon.

15 banana coins to whoever guesses that reference.
StarCraft/Wc3? You still owe me an answer for why you thought you could B-turnaround/B-reverse Banana Pluck in Brawl

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
The answer is the matrix. Is that movie so old that people don't get everything about it anymore? I guess it is like 15 years old now.

POLOGUN

Smash Cadet
Here's a video for the past post of Re-catch Peanut stuff I talked about
http://youtu.be/q7ZXa4AIA7U

-One of the concepts is that instead of throwing the banana after the Peanut gun animation ends, you can throw it sooner with an AGT through the "AD Cancel" that was implemented into it to make you able to wave-land with it (the last throw at the end demonstrates it) .

-I would also like to mention that the last throw at the end can be super epic if you go out and hit the person with fair after the two other items hit, instead of retreating back onto the stage.

Also eventually I'm going to record this but: I think Fair has some weird properties, almost like a landing detection bug or something. Originally I was in slow-mo and did a Fair right after a SH and hit a Bowser and then you immediately stop going upward and instead start falling like a Ness DJC. I thought this was just a slow-mo problem but I think I did it in a normal game, and it does this when you hit someone or hit a shield.

SpiderMad, How do you do Aerial Glide Tosses? I don´t know how.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Mad I don't know why that video doesn't have more views. Its like the perfect visual example, A lot easier than trying to explain it to people everytime

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
OUR REIGN IS NOT OVER! KONGMUNISM WILL STILL STRIKE TERROR AND FEAR INTO THE HEARTS OF OUR ENEMIES! SMASH4 IS OUR COUNTRY! DIDDY KONG COUNTRY!

SpiderMad

Smash Master
Mad I don't know why that video doesn't have more views. Its like the perfect visual example, A lot easier than trying to explain it to people everytime
I want the PMDepot empire to become the leading PM tutorial video conglomerate in today's economic society, pushing the boundaries of knowledge and commonwealth to propitiate freedom and thanksgiving.

but first I have to plow through negative criticism of people telling me I'll never make it to be the next VGbootcamp, and also find royalty free music that doesn't suck

Last edited:

GuruKid

Smash Ace
StarCraft/Wc3? You still owe me an answer for why you thought you could B-turnaround/B-reverse Banana Pluck in Brawl
You're thinking of "ThereIsNoCowLevel"

I personally am a little sad that Dixie was not revealed as a tag-team/partner feature to Diddy is Smash 4. Would have been so cool. I want some DKC2 in my Smash.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Cranky would be epic tho. Hell, the whole Kong family would be good.

We need a DKC only fighting game.

POLOGUN

Smash Cadet
I've been playing around with diddy and I was messing around with B-Reversals. B reverse peanut gun is pretty sick because you can use the momentum switch as a mix up on platform, or better yet add it into your movement if you are quick enough I'm sure you can be under a platform jump right, b reverse peanut gun AD and waveland on the platform above you.

Also B reversing Side-B (monkey flip?) gives you a few more mix up options on tech chases since you can change the distance on it. I feel like diddy has soooo many options it's unreal, and B-Reverse has added flashy-ness.

B-Reversing banana pull is pretty useless, but I like to use it to drop nanas over the edge.

Opinions on diddys B-Reversing? The more mix ups you have under your sleeve the better off you'll be.
Hey brother, could you explain me how to do side B reversals ? I don't know how and I want to try this fancy movement :D

POLOGUN

Smash Cadet
Start using more moonwalks guys. what's the use of being slippy slidey without adding more style to your play??? Moon Bairs?? How about Moon NAIRS??

Moon Nanner plucks just because!

Moon FH Peanut gun for extra swag. Please don't let me be the only one doing this or I will be sorely disappoint.
Hey Abstract, would you mind to tell me how to moon walk? I don't know how :S and i want to add this move.

Alexander Duprey

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1865-0311-7929
Hey brother, could you explain me how to do side B reversals ? I don't know how and I want to try this fancy movement :D
Basically you do the side-B and then you instantly slam the sick in the opposite direction. If you stand in the middle of Battlefield and do a regular monkey flip you'll still land on stage. If you do a b reverse monkey flip you can fly off stage, mix that in the monkey flip kick and yeah it's pretty sick. I think doing it in the air is easier.

Something that helped me was thinking about it a different way, you are literally transferring all your momentum the opposite way, i don't know the exact frame data but it's something like 3-5 frames after you start the move you smash your stick the opposite way. Try learning it with the Peanut Gun first as you'll see a much bigger momentum swing.

Last edited:

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
SWJ2 went really well. I didn't place well at all, other than getting seeded horribly in doubles (Tai/Taj round 1 melee, Jaime HR and his teamate round 2 [Hai-May is like the 7th best 64 player in the world from mexico, he pretty much just 2v1's me and my partner with Ganon while his teammate shot samus missles from across the stage, the man is a beast], and in PM doubles played Kaos and his teammate from socal and then Newmexico's first seed team [who ended up taking first in melee doubles]). I suck and some stupid salt carried over from some melee matches and I couldn't focus on my PM bracket at all. lost a game 0-2 that I should have won 2-0 easy.

Not playing friendlies at all on tourney day is a horrible idea. Everyone, please make sure you play the game more than just your bracket matches -.- We had a limited amount of set-ups because people suck so there was zero room for friendlies until much much later.

I got a few games in with some more of Socal's players before they left this evening though. I took Mach to game three in a money match (although he was sandbagging really hard and only turned it on game 3). I'm sorry disqo, but I pulled a **** load of Diddy jank tech that he reacted like he had never seen before, hopefully he doesn't expect them next time you play him :p His recovery was really linear so I caught him out of his tether with up-b like two out of five times, he got saltier each time too. I'm definitely no where near the level of play the Socal PR is on. I was getting 2 stocked by Kaos's mewtwo and Jigglypuff >.>

I played like an hour of friendlies against Jaime while he was waiting in grand finals waiting for loser bracket to finish up. I only took his ganon to one stock, all of his other characters 2-3 stocked me consistently, and he was sandbagging HARD. I feel like there must be some secret boss diddy mains in Mexico because he seemed to have a lot of experience with counter item games. He was playing so smart, I don't even know how someone could think so many steps ahead. I guess thats what you do when you are a 64 player and main bowser in PM, even the brawl players aren't that patient and cover options so efficiently. It really showed how when I start playing incredibly one-dementionally its easy to cover everything I do with one or two options.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
I just run the same defensive options against Mach, so its extremely possible you surprised him. And he HAAAATES getting barreled from tether. Its great.

Hashtag

Smash Apprentice
Hopping on the Diddy train!

Though seriously, I think he fits my play style the best and he's pretty Damn fun. For a while I've been moving from character to character in PM trying to find that one I can feel most natural playing.

Now that I know what character will prolly be my main I can start really figuring out match ups. Did pretty well at South western justice, had been using Diddy for less than a week and placed pretty decent. Now I can improve my placing in tourneys lol. (Though I've placed high except for when I played yoshi to try him out a couple weeks ago. Took 3rd at my first tourney with roy, then switched to yoshi a couple weeks later lol).

Also learned a few things from a couple brawl and PM Diddys. **** blew my mind.

Last edited:

POLOGUN

Smash Cadet
Basically you do the side-B and then you instantly slam the sick in the opposite direction. If you stand in the middle of and do a regular monkey flip you'll still land on stage. If you do a b reverse monkey flip you can fly off stage, mix that in the monkey flip kick and yeah it's pretty sick. I think doing it in the air is easier.

Something that helped me was thinking about it a different way, you are literally transferring all your momentum the opposite way, i don't know the exact frame data but it's something like 3-5 frames after you start the move you smash your stick the opposite way. Try learning it with the Peanut Gun first as you'll see a much bigger momentum swing.

I hav no problems with the peanut gun but I've never tried with the monkey flip lol. Thanks for the advise Alexander

Top Bottom