• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Matchup Rankings

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Do you have Diddy and Ice climbers down as well? Those ones are kinda different too =/ I played fly amanita until I could beat him in friendlies and then had no trouble playing ice climbers the week after so yay I think I have learned them :)

Diddy not sure yet its like either I **** them or they **** me... stupid bannanas. Diddy fights seem to have a lot of momentum that can build up for either side... Best way to fight them I've found is to pressure them so they can't pull out a bannana without being punished then throwing those bannanas away.

The best way to win against peach is to avoid her kill moves like the plague. She has a very hard time killing (obviously a fresh fair is her best killing option, but if you play well you can force her to use it as a damage attack rather than a kill move, I know peach players tend to do this when under pressure)

And apparently you aren't missing much since this weekend seems pretty dead in socal (unusual :()

Demised

Smash Ace
Hah, Socal is never dead. Must be something wrong, or a natural disaster.

I had alot of practice against Melee1 from Texas while I was in New Mexico. He's the best Iceys i've seen / played so far in brawl and they were pretty ****. lol. Over all it was even. In the tourney I played him second round and knocked him to losers, but he came back in the semis to knock me out of the tourney. Every match was to the wire. I just play him innsaaannneeellyy patient. By far more patient than any other character in the game. The best strat I found was if they got close for a grab which is every 5 seconds. Upthrow splits them up pretty well on platform stages, and uptilt to forward air/up air combos is pretty **** since it builds up damage, and splits them up. Just HAVE to break that egg. The moment there split up be full on aggressive towards nana, and dont let popo grab you so nana can run back. Your only chance to strike is when there split so have to strike as much as possible. Any good iceys in Socal?

Theres a really good diddy player in my group named Sao who i've had alot of practice against, and played a diddy player in NM who was really good, but I had to much diddy practice, hehe. Yesterday Sao told me, "I hate it, your the only person who actually knows to just shield my banana's and not try to roll. Its stuuuupid." So i take it, dont roll and shield lots on diddy ^_^.

With both of those characters the play style you have to fight them with is insanely similar. Think of Diddys Bananas like nana for ice climbers. There the weapon they NEED to feel successful when fighting against you. When he's trying to Get his bananas set up, or get nana back for Iceys, thats the time to strike full force. Mentally there thinking, "get away, get away" so they can get back in there comfort zone. I've learned people that play those characters have to get in there comfort zone during the match. You break that comfort, you break there entire mind game / concentration with the match. Kind of like, kicking them when there down sorta speak, but HEY, Kirbys dirty MIRITE?

(Longest post to date)

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
So what character are we talking about this week? Or month? Its been almost 2 months since Peterson started this thread and we've only gotten through two characters. And Peterson has since left the thread (read the top of the OP). i think the best thing to do is just start a new one...

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Hah, Socal is never dead. Must be something wrong, or a natural disaster.

I had alot of practice against Melee1 from Texas while I was in New Mexico. He's the best Iceys i've seen / played so far in brawl and they were pretty ****. lol. Over all it was even. In the tourney I played him second round and knocked him to losers, but he came back in the semis to knock me out of the tourney. Every match was to the wire. I just play him innsaaannneeellyy patient. By far more patient than any other character in the game. The best strat I found was if they got close for a grab which is every 5 seconds. Upthrow splits them up pretty well on platform stages, and uptilt to forward air/up air combos is pretty **** since it builds up damage, and splits them up. Just HAVE to break that egg. The moment there split up be full on aggressive towards nana, and dont let popo grab you so nana can run back. Your only chance to strike is when there split so have to strike as much as possible. Any good iceys in Socal?

Theres a really good diddy player in my group named Sao who i've had alot of practice against, and played a diddy player in NM who was really good, but I had to much diddy practice, hehe. Yesterday Sao told me, "I hate it, your the only person who actually knows to just shield my banana's and not try to roll. Its stuuuupid." So i take it, dont roll and shield lots on diddy ^_^.

With both of those characters the play style you have to fight them with is insanely similar. Think of Diddys Bananas like nana for ice climbers. There the weapon they NEED to feel successful when fighting against you. When he's trying to Get his bananas set up, or get nana back for Iceys, thats the time to strike full force. Mentally there thinking, "get away, get away" so they can get back in there comfort zone. I've learned people that play those characters have to get in there comfort zone during the match. You break that comfort, you break there entire mind game / concentration with the match. Kind of like, kicking them when there down sorta speak, but HEY, Kirbys dirty MIRITE?

(Longest post to date)
Haha yeah thats true... and both those characters have a lot of momentum once they start taking control of the match.

Anyways ice climbers I just make sure I'm never vulnerable enough to get grabbed and always keep them split. Whenever they go for a dash grab I like to inhale and spit whoever I inhale into the other one. Fly amanita and azn lep are the only ice climbers players I know in socal, fly amanita I think is better... though maybe thats cause I learned how to play against ice climbers from him before I played azn lep lol.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
i def think Wario is a Hi tier character maybe top tier. But Kirby beats wario b/c of the hat lol. Kirby's bite is should be the most abused move in the game. More than TL's arrows, bombs, and boomerang combined

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
i def think Wario is a Hi tier character maybe top tier. But Kirby beats wario b/c of the hat lol. Kirby's bite is should be the most abused move in the game. More than TL's arrows, bombs, and boomerang combined
But Wario's bite sucks against Wario himself =/ I tried it lol. Inhale is better cause then I inhale whenever he starts to do a bite =D

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
perhaps it was my opponent, cuz i literally was like oh Bite hahaha oh bite again hahahaha bite lol bite this is funny bite lol u tried to grab me bite lol that was the match more or less both ways

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Bite ***** Wario b/c he has an awesome spot dodging game. You'll be surprised watching some "good" Warios besides Futile and some others, that go into the later rounds in tourneys seem to spot dodge and immediately F-smash, almost without thinking about it.

They can get away with it b/c Wario's spot dodge is almost on par with ROB's spotdodge except he has a little less invincibility frames. But if you bite Wario effectively he can't do anything like that and as a result all you have to do is deal with his ****ty roll, f-smash and d-smash are good options.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Ok maybe I should revise this since the person I tried bite against was futile in the grand finals of a tourney.

Bite does not work against Futile.
He hits around it or bites you out of your bite. I think he has some attacks that beat bite too? Pretty sure Futile knows all the ways to get around it with wario since he probably has to play wario dittos.

But I like inhale better cause well when I was playing futile he uses bite whenever he thinks your going to shield so whenever I though that he though I would shield, I would inhale instead and inhale him out of his bite. (wario's attacks have little range so inhale actually works great against him if you catch him by surprise or in the middle of an attack.)

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
idk about that inhale buiness because of the fact that not all players is goin to fall for it like seriously. lol the inhale only works agaisnt players that r rash and wanna get into the fight without thinking. but players that play deffensivly arent going to get caught by it. like people like that can see the inhale a mile away because the inhale takes a while to start. so the defensive players all they have to do is space them selves and then they can either wait till u done or they can just run upto u and go into a footstool combo. :(

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
The majority of the startup lag in inhale don't really telegraph to your opponent to what you are doing. Especially if you blend it in to your actions by doing a SH inhale or a reverse aerial inhale. You just have to predict ahead of time what your opponent will do and anticipate that with an inhale. If they start to attack when you start inhaling they aren't able to avoid getting eaten.

Demised

Smash Ace
i heard people saying he was gonna quit smash. dont think so anymore
Im sure he wont. He is to involved with the community to quit. Especially since some of his better friends are so into smash, why quit a video game? lol. Doesnt mean you have to travel to play it.

So Gonzo, whats the next big tourney your goin to? Some of you guys should look into Axis. Big tourney coming up in norcal. 120+ at minimum.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
I dont know if this is more of a personal thing, but while I am playing as Kirby, I have a harder time against Olimars and Falcos than this list says should happen, and I have an easyier time against DKs than the list says. Of coarse this could be mostly due to who I have been playing against.

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
um to ur delema of the falco and olimar thing. is that u just need to get around the spamming of projectiles lol.:) the only reason y u think its easier to play agaisnt dk is because he got no projectiles lol. well overall just get a new tactic for projectile spammers lol

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
the best move to use vs olimar is bair. it eats the pikimen he throws at you for breakfast. no matter where they are on kirbys body bair wins in one shot. and bair goes through most of olimars pikmen attacks. hes very light aswell aand can be killed easy by upsmash.

and for falco i agree with gonzo. you can duck under all of his lasers but not refector. but it is worth it to take his lasors and use them back.and falco is especially easy to air guard. once hes off the edge just use a bai or dair when he does his phantasm and then follow up with bair or dair when he does his firebird.

Colbert

Smash Apprentice
I have problems against Olimar too, but I think that's just because the ones I play are above my skill level. AndyG has incredible spacing and Pink4Life was pretty awesome when he still played.

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tip, I will have to try that.

As far as DK goes, I faced another instance today where DK was just really easy to kill.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
problem with your color coding, falco is green as a 55-45, yet theres other 55-45s and they're not green.

3GOD

Smash Ace
Why is ROB considered so difficult (35-65 in ROB's favor)? I don't have a ton of experience as Kirby, but my Kirby is doing pretty well against ROB. Is there something particular about the match-up that puts it in ROB's favor? It seems pretty much even to me.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
I'm in favor of reviewing that match up next. Its suggested as that b/c earlier when brawl was released ROB's reach and strong / long range aerials made the match difficult for Kirby. With the Kirby metagame and normal play increasing i believe that matchup should move into the even category.

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
hmm.. well the only match up i know i cant really do is snake vs. kirby because weell the snakes i play is freaking gay! like to be honest snakes hit box is mad long and like he is heavy so he is hard to knock off the stage and then his up tilt cand kill kirby at real low percent....... actually snake can kill kirby with any move. and well i find it hard to approach him in a way that he wont know what im doing. :( and on top of that snake has that dash cancel thing that deals a bunch of damage. so someone tell me how to deal with snake

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Snake is difficult, combo him when u can, KEEP HIM IN THE AIR as much as possible. Snake is weak in the air and Kirby can capitalize on that. His copy is ok if u c the Snake is camping a lot if not keep the inhale to gimp his recovery whenever u can. Utilt, not much u can do about it but try and stay behind him or shield.

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
i try that crap all the time but its like. well i play my friends snake all the time and i think he just knows every move im making i think thats y i have such a hard time with snake.. but u know ima try and use that take his power so he wont camp. but thanks for the tip ima try

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
Colbert, you're good at saying Kirby>Falco, right? I need you to go to IvanEva's matchup chart and debate with Shadowlink84 over te matchup. Frankly, I'm sick and tired of it.

His last reply is on page 237. And even though both boards agree the match is even, he's not willing to give up.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Let's see about ROB vs Kirby.

This is a controversial matchup in ways I can't explain but I'll give you my take on it. He has greater weight, more range on most attacks, generally better priority, can punish well, can camp, amazing recovery, and good glide toss. His weaknesses (or at least what I consider weaknesses), his size, makes him easier to hit; the one way direction of most of his attacks, explanation later; and his kill moves are kinda slow so he has some trouble killing.

Generally ROB was considered a very tough match up for Kirby, because he had basic qualities which Kirby's are weak against, better range and priority on attacks and can camp. Also coupled with the fact what Kirby only had going for him a couple of month's after the game's release was the grab combos which didn't work on ROB we had a pretty lopsided battle.

Its much better now, but question: how much better? As you can see, no characters really got any better from before, people just mastered efficiency for the character. Now I'll break it down into two separate categories: air game and ground game. Since I'm a nub who doesn't know the complete ins and outs of each character, in this case ROB, I'll try my best here so some info may be just wrong.

Ground game: ROB has an insane poke, faster tilts, amazing dodge>punish and better priority. You are not getting past ROB's poke (dtilt) unless you jump over or shield grab due to faulty spacing. If you jump>aerial IASA frames will allow ROB to react in time. His d-tilt is faster than yours and has better priority and has a chance of tripping. His other pokes, jabbing and ftilt are also amazingly effective.

Your tilts can not beat ROB's in terms of speed and/or range, so a major part of your ground just went down. This allows ROB to camp fairly effectively since you will have very limited options even if break into the "inside." Basically the only thing you have in ground game is your insane grab range.

Air game: Your best move is your bair and it becomes your best and only option. ROB outranges you here too for the most part. Which is why Kirby has a tough time, because while you approach in the air unless you do a bair immediately his fair will beat out all your other options.

He can't WoP combo you off into death like others but he can put up quite a wall and make you use all your jumps. Like stated before fair is very good in beating most of Kirby's aerials. To win in the air with Kirby's aerials, you have to be able to deploy aerials towards ROB weak sides. For example against his fair, you will be able to beat it if you uair from underneath. This is very difficult and his nair and bair prevent you from hovering and looking for an opening.

My opinion: It's late most of my reasons are short, sorry I'm no smash analyzer. Basically ROB still maintains his advantage. However, it should be a 60-40 and not 65-35, (wow did I just make an argument to gain 5%? I think I should delete this post but I'll keep it since I just wasted 20 min of my life thinking). Discuss this please and don't hold me accountable to anything I said, plz. Just posting an opinion.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
3xSwords, in your post it seemed like you made Kirby vs. ROB sound incredibly difficult, and then you said it should be 60:40 instead of 65:35 :p

I'd say the only thing you forgot about in your post was the "Beeep!", which could possibly make it 60:40 >_> still one of my personal toughest matchups, along with G&W.

MK and Snake are Major Krap and Snack ^_^ (sorry it's lame, I just made that up on the spot)

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
i think the match up against ROB is 45-55. The reasons i state these. Although Kirby gets outranged on the ground Kirby can move around a lot of ROB's KO moves. Also once ROB is forced to Bup his only options are to use an attack. This means u have to force the issue and make ROB use an attack, primarily Bair cuz its easiest to punish or Fair although it is a little bit faster. Nair is something u dont want to go up against unless ur in front in which case u may have time to hit him b4 he hits u. On the ground try and stay in the air using well spaced FF Bairs. Also many ROBs like to downdodge Dsmash. when u c this coming just spam jab and ROB will get hit out of his dodge every time. Don't try and always jump when he down dodges b/c his utilt is particularly fast.

Top Bottom