• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Matchup Rankings

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I can deal with characters that have disjointed hitboxes like Marth, however I cant deal with projectile spamming characters vs my Kirby, like Snake and ROB. Since Marth doesnt have projectile weapons, its not too hard, you have to learn how to avoid the f-air, and f-smash since those are marths main moves, side dodge helps, except when Marth uses dancing blades special.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
A good Marth does not always beat a good Kirby. Again Gonzo, just because you lose to certain characters doesn't mean its a bad matchup.

Last time I posted on this thread u were saying Samus is 60-40 against Kirby which is ridiculous.
b/c the only samus players i had ever played were Rohan and Forte. Also if two equally skilled people were going at it Kirbys vs Marth on paper Marth wins. So to even the matchup u def should consider counterpicking. I feel more comfortable against Marth with ROB or Wolf than i do as Kirby. In tourney play u have to counterpick if ur set on winning all the time

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
b/c the only samus players i had ever played were Rohan and Forte. Also if two equally skilled people were going at it Kirbys vs Marth on paper Marth wins. So to even the matchup u def should consider counterpicking. I feel more comfortable against Marth with ROB or Wolf than i do as Kirby. In tourney play u have to counterpick if ur set on winning all the time
do you think Marth has a big enough advantage that a good stage counter pick would still have the odds in favor of a Marth? like... lets say you counter picked Delfino?..

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I can deal with characters that have disjointed hitboxes like Marth, however I cant deal with projectile spamming characters vs my Kirby, like Snake and ROB.
What's so hard about spammers? I can see you having trouble on wifi, but their stuff is easy to dodge and block offline. Heck, you can even turn into a rock when you see a Snake cooking a grenade, if you don't feel like dodging. If your distance is good, that might even bait him to mortar slide, and if your timing is right you can turn back and bair him out of it. Plus you can get their powers and spam back...and final cutter is somewhat underestimated in those situations...
do you think Marth has a big enough advantage that a good stage counter pick would still have the odds in favor of a Marth? like... lets say you counter picked Delfino?..
How about Rainbow Cruise? :O

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Rainbow Cruise ***** Marth no worries there, but what do u for when he counterpicks u? u have to change ur character to give urself all the advantage u can get.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
What's so hard about spammers? I can see you having trouble on wifi, but their stuff is easy to dodge and block offline. Heck, you can even turn into a rock when you see a Snake cooking a grenade, if you don't feel like dodging. If your distance is good, that might even bait him to mortar slide, and if your timing is right you can turn back and bair him out of it. Plus you can get their powers and spam back...and final cutter is somewhat underestimated in those situations...

How about Rainbow Cruise? :O
oh yes and Rainbow Cruise... but usually that stage gets banned by the opponent.. if they're smart anyways lol

its funny he brought up spammers in a Kirby forum... since Kirby's tiny target size and million jumps make him probably the easiest character to use against a projectile spammer... so basically he's just saying he cant get around projectile spam... Kirby or no Kirby. generally though if you take more than... say.... 5% before you get into melee combat with a spammer you've done pretty terribly.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
even then i find its pretty easy to mind game them. the first shot's always right at you. you jump, they shoot high. you fast fall. just gotta time the FF's and throw in the odd crouch. i still don't think you should get hit more than twice even against a Pit.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
The problem with projectile spammers for kirby is he is really slow. Both on the ground and in the air. Play jigglypuff and see how fast you can move around in the air. Or fox etc. on the ground. This is why kirby is a very bad approacher. You pretty much have to wait for your opponent to leave themselves open in order to attack them. They don't even necessarily have to have projectiles, just a lot of range/speed (ZSS can be pretty annoying if they space their side b really well)

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
The problem with projectile spammers for kirby is he is really slow. Both on the ground and in the air. Play jigglypuff and see how fast you can move around in the air. Or fox etc. on the ground. This is why kirby is a very bad approacher. You pretty much have to wait for your opponent to leave themselves open in order to attack them. They don't even necessarily have to have projectiles, just a lot of range/speed (ZSS can be pretty annoying if they space their side b really well)
...he's not THAT slow... and speed isn't your biggest friend with Kirby. yes you can move 'fast' with fox but he has like ZERO air control. Kirby has the best aerial control next to Jiggly. This is what makes Kirby so awesome... among other things of course

Percon

Smash Lord
...he's not THAT slow... and speed isn't your biggest friend with Kirby. yes you can move 'fast' with fox but he has like ZERO air control. Kirby has the best aerial control next to Jiggly. This is what makes Kirby so awesome... among other things of course
I think you're wrong.

Kirby has only average air control... far below Jiggs, Wario, Squirtle..

SmileyStation

Smash Journeyman
I agree w/ everything here. I feel kirby has much better air control than my other characters. Some times i just like to float over people's heads for long periods of time just to make them lose focus.:laugh:

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
There was a test done to see how far each character can move through the air in a full jump. Kirby was one of the lowest. Kirby moves very slowly in the air. His ability to control comes from the fact that he falls so slow and you can pick exactly when you want to land and be around the height you want to be.

If you ever play someone ridiculously campy you will understand what I mean :( General campy people with characters like marth rather than ones with projectiles are the ones that are bad for kirby.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
yes this is true. i've played some good marths. i like to counterpick a stage with platforms... Kirby gets owned by marth on FD i've found

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
My thoughts exactly! Kirby isnt a speed character, so he has trouble getting around some projectiles, even though Kirby is small, projectiles can still force you to jump, shield, or dodge, and then your opponent would have you where he wants you because he knows that you want to dodge that projectile so he gets ready to punish you with a aerial attack or combo starter. Kirby is great at dodging it, he just gets forced into an unfortunate situation if the player is smart.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
u gotta use his this very thing to ur advantage. Distance urself when dodge or jump so ur opponent will go for u but u'll v out of his range and will punish him instead, very difficult but worth it

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
hmm.... well to me yeah kirby is slow. but its all about how u use kirby. like kirby`s areial game is so crazy. i say he has advantage over alot of char.s in the air. and if u havin a hard time approaching with kirby on the ground then y not try to approach from the air??? i mean it works for me. and i play against people like shin and blue terrorist. :)lol. just learn how to approach. and space urself from chars. like marth. cuz if u dont u get owned by a tipper

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Just pointing something out...Falco & D3 have the green "advantage" color on them, but we agreed 55-45 is neutral way back, and the other 55-45's are colored yellow.

ROOOOY!

Smash Master
NNID
Gengite
3DS FC
5456-0280-5804
Hey Kirby boards.
We're currently doing the Sonic Kirby match-up at our boards. We've mostly established that Kirby has the advantage, and things that have been said seem on the whole fairly accurate.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=190510
It would be nice for you guys to check it though, just to see if we're causing Kirby any injustices or whatever, and also if you could write a little bit about the match-up from your point of view.
Cheers in advance, guys.

MK26

Smash Master
http://www.mediafire.com/?zj2oddmz0yy for ZSS fix!
To all people who have come here to discuss Kirby matchups:

Note: This thread is dead. The last meaningful discussion was had on September 11, 2008. That was 4 weeks ago.

The new Kirby matchup discussion is here

Post any and all matchup discussion there. If you want, PM mods to ask them to sticky the other thread and unsticky this one. The faster we sticky the new thread, the better.

In other words, DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD!

/thread

shock505

Smash Cadet
Kirby has pretty good matchups in all but those ones like marth are impossible for me.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Ike is a good match-up for Kirby, maybe 70-30.

Because of Ike's non-existant diagonal recovery, a Kirby merely needs to push the Ike offstage, and either a little far away and down or far away and a little down and Ike is dead. Ike, however, can take advantage of Kirby's light weight, but that isn't much of an issue.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Taking this down as it is no longer active.

Top Bottom