• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Matchup Rankings

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Thanks for the tips, but the G&W that 2 stocks me now, i beat, i use final cutter alot and mid air hammer when he went for dair's , RAR'ing helped while he was using Nair because kirby's range out does him, mainly though its my new technique, fast falled Nairs that auto cancel into grabs or vulcan jabs
I invented / pioneered Nair to Vulcan jab son! check it It also combos into DK's pawnch!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMXAZooAbg

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
We finally have a tier list from SBR, and I believe everyone here will like it (I highlight Kirby).

After a full spring and summer of competition, the SBR felt as though it was time to take the first stab at a tier list for Brawl. Before I post it, let me remind you all of a few important things:

1. Tier placement doesn't necessarily reflect your ability to beat your friends with a specific character. You might beat your friend's Metaknight with Sonic, but that doesn't mean Sonic is top tier. It means you win that matchup against your friend. Tiers are not absolute measurements of match outcomes.

2. Instead of measuring match outcomes, tiers are more a measurement of potential of characters against the rest of the cast in a competitive, 1v1 tournament environment. It shows general strength of a character's abilities in a specific tournament environment. So yes, maybe Yoshi is a beast in teams or Ganon is REALLY good with items turned on... but this list measures somethingd different than those things.

3. This list is based on a combination of tournament result data, extensive discussions with top players and tournament hosts and looking at general trends in play in the current competitive metagame. It took a lot of work on the part of some of the best minds in Smash to compile this list.

4. This list might change with time. It is based on how we perceive the game to be and play it competitively NOW. However, if a replacement for l-canceling is discovered or new tactics cause the game to evolve over time, this list could change. So if you main a character that isn't near the top, keep playing and evolving their game. You might be the one, like Chu Dat's Ice Climbers back in Melee, that cause people's opinions to change.

5. That said, don't give up hope! Just because your character isn't ranked at or near the top, doesn't mean you can't do fantastic things with them with enough talent and effort. We do not publish this list to encourage players to change their main tournament character. If anything, it should serve as a challenge to take the game to the next level.

6. In Smash, any character can win in any matchup if you are smarter and better than your opponents by a wide enough margin. So keep playing to win and work hard to be the best player you can be, regardless of which character you use.

And without further ado, I present to you the official SBR Brawl Tier List (v1.0):

Metaknight
Snake
King DDD
Mr G&W
Falco
ROB

High
Marth
Wario
Lucario
DK
Diddy
Pikachu
IC
Kirby
Pit
Wolf

Middle
Toon Link
Olimar
Fox
Zelda
Zamus
Bowser
Luigi
Peach
Ike
Shiek

Low
Lucas
Ness
Mario
Pokemon Trainer
Samus
Yoshi
Sonic
Jigglypuff
Ganondorf
Link
Cptn. Falcon
Kirby is now high tier!

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
I invented / pioneered Nair to Vulcan jab son! check it It also combos into DK's pawnch!!http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGMXAZooAbg
well i didnt know, i just say your vid now, but i got an amazing combo using nair too
and also yaya kirby is top tier but people dont expect a good kirby when they see you so its a suprise attack, if you come out with metaknight they kow what to do and probobly have read up on it.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
lol Falco gets beaten pretty easily by kirby

i think the matchup should look like this
Fox: 70-30 has nothing going for him (sorry fox)

Falco: 60-40 lasers are a little but troublesome but not really his chaingrab is possible a little bit, his Dair is good against Kirby's Bup, reflector is not bad for spacing, and his Forward b is harder to counter but can still be gimped

Wolf: 50-50 Reflector gives him invincibility frames and can stop almost any attack if timed correctly, his forward b is not gimpable, has a good spike, and good laser, strong ground attacks with good reach. Best recovery out of the space animals

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
well i ment in my heart he was top tier lol, and tiers are for queers anyway he was decent in melee, aerial hammer got some good damage.
and true about wolf match up, but if you space it properly you can vulcan jab his Fsmash,
as for fox, id say 60-40 (kirby's favor)
fox is alot faster then kirby, but kirby can always steal his gun and SHQL short hop quad laser, fox is faster on the ground and i think can trump kirby's ground game, but fox can be comboed from 0-51 at the beggining of every stock, giving kirby the upperhand.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Fox's speed is his worst enemy, it makes his attacks predictable. when going that fast u've usually chosen a particular attack to use. The opposing player just has to make a good read and have their finger on the the shield or grab button. Fox is to easy

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
obviously youve never played my fox, he has lost but no one sees my attacks coming cuz i brought back melee with dash dancing full hop fast fall laser cancel, and fox troting as a dash dance alternative, i have no been shield grabed much because when i come from the air i airdodge to make it look like im going to attack then when i land imediatly grab them, and fox i think has the best QDA in the game because of is range and priority. this calls for a video upload lol

Asdioh

Not Asidoh

Falco: 60-40 lasers are a little but troublesome but not really his chaingrab is possible a little bit, his Dair is good against Kirby's Bup, reflector is not bad for spacing, and his Forward b is harder to counter but can still be gimped

Wolf: 50-50 Reflector gives him invincibility frames and can stop almost any attack if timed correctly, his forward b is not gimpable, has a good spike, and good laser, strong ground attacks with good reach. Best recovery out of the space animals
Invincibility frames? Wow. That explains why the computer I was practicing against kept stopping my Down B with his reflector, it made me go "wtf?" every time. That thing is ridiculous...huge range, and invincibility frames x_x

As for Fox....I find a good Fox hard to beat online, but that may be because he's just fast, and online doesn't give you much reaction time for (surprise attack coming from above!). Kinda like fighting Sonic, except Fox has better ko moves. And I fought a good one that had some cool gimping techniques with reflector stage spikes, I hadn't seen that one before.

Fox might be easier offline though.

jiovanni007

Smash Ace

I agree with this one, Fox has nothing on Kirby.

As far as Falco goes, he gets no CG on Kirby, but lasers and reflectors can oftentime hamper your approach. A good Falco also isn't afraid to SHDL you while you're in his face and trying to SHAD the expected reflector. Luckily Falco will die much quicker and can still fail to kill Kirby until around 110 - 130%

Wolf is actually somewhat difficult. He's easily the strongest of the spacies and his >b and the high priority of his ^b makes the brick about the only thing that can gimp him after he's started one of his moves. You also can't duck his lasers. Basically a campy Wolf is very difficult to fight since he'll rack up damage faster that you and can actually do you in with dsmash or fsmash and edgeguard with his bair.

Maybe I should write a match-up guide >.>

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
well im a different breed of space animal, revamping the classic fox, you may think you know all fox has but he has a hidden talent, most foxes shouldnt give you trouble but ive having a bit of trouble with this wolf i fight, my usual defense is to inhale, then spit under the stage and he cant recover.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
that doesn't work to often and due to wolf's recovery, if ur opponent is composed, he can recover on to the other ledge. I'm sorry dude but Kirby has an answer for everything fox has. Fox is to predictable in brawl.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
well im a different breed of space animal, revamping the classic fox, you may think you know all fox has but he has a hidden talent, most foxes shouldnt give you trouble but ive having a bit of trouble with this wolf i fight, my usual defense is to inhale, then spit under the stage and he cant recover.
different breed? haha to be honest man the classic fox doesn't work anymore... unless your bringing back the 64 fox... which still wont work. but waveshines don't work... even with the new pseudo waveshines you don't have enough speed to get to them while they're still in hit stun. SH n airs can't carry people off the stage anymore with your lack of L cancel. sh b airs are harder to hit. too many characters out prioritize you with quicker attacks now. F air is your only buff. even your edge game got owned by non jump cancelable shines and a nerfed recovery... especially against Kirby... you gotta shine WAY below where YOU can recover from to gimp a Kirby

and on spitting people out under the stage. i find it MUCH more useful spitting them away from the stage to a place they can no longer recover from. under the stage is over rated

jiovanni007

Smash Ace
different breed? haha to be honest man the classic fox doesn't work anymore... unless your bringing back the 64 fox... which still wont work. but waveshines don't work... even with the new pseudo waveshines you don't have enough speed to get to them while they're still in hit stun. SH n airs can't carry people off the stage anymore with your lack of L cancel. sh b airs are harder to hit. too many characters out prioritize you with quicker attacks now. F air is your only buff. even your edge game got owned by non jump cancelable shines and a nerfed recovery... especially against Kirby... you gotta shine WAY below where YOU can recover from to gimp a Kirby

and on spitting people out under the stage. i find it MUCH more useful spitting them away from the stage to a place they can no longer recover from. under the stage is over rated
Those people don't have much experience against starshot because if you mash out of the star the same way you mash out of a throw, than you get a massive vertical boost. Plus if you spit them under the stage, you can spike characters like ROB who would normally have no problems getting back anyway.

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet

ugg you dont see the point here, your thinking as if you know all the fox techs out there but you dont, he may be a bit predictable but you would need to play me to really test your claim.

i play like no other ive ever seen and i win most of my matches because of this.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Those people don't have much experience against starshot because if you mash out of the star the same way you mash out of a throw, than you get a massive vertical boost. Plus if you spit them under the stage, you can spike characters like ROB who would normally have no problems getting back anyway.
yes but if i remember it has the same general animation as if you mashed out of a throw. you don't get the vertical boost if i remember. you get that if your shot out. but yes it is character specific. i do it on Ike's and Marth's. those with terrible recovery level with or below the stage at any distance away. for Rob's i do agree its better to shoot them under.

to DrkKnight:
to think that you have some skill with Fox that the vets here haven't found yet seems pretty naive to me to be honest... and online play doesn't really test skill... button lag owns spacing. so i'll decline your offer. say what you want and think what you wish.

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
well, do what you want, simply because they played fox since melee doesnt mean they are the best and im not being boastful but ive seen these people from the fox forums play vids and against them, i play completely different so it woyuld be a suprise, and online is a skill of its own cuz you need to learn button lag.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
why learn button lag when its not supposed to be part of the game? anyways i dont want to play you. lets stop getting off topic. this thread isn't about whether or not your the best fox... its about Kirby and his match ups and frankly when it comes to Fox there's nothing he has on Kirby.

OneWingedAngelo1

Smash Journeyman

QFT

What were the numbers on the Original Post's based on... was it that one guy's oppinion? Also, does this thread just talk about whomever for a bit and move on when asked? I didn't see how that worked.

DrkKnight

Smash Cadet
w/e well since it probobly wont be me you fight so fox's matchup remains, wolf is getting anoying for my kirby its not that he is better than kirby, its just this player is amazing.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
lol wolf has a lot of tricks up his sleeve and his Bair has the same range as Marth's Fair, his tilts got more range and all that plus his projectile and reflector are really good. If u get a smart player playing wolf he's very difficult to beat

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
ya i'd actually give the edge to Wolf. maybe 60-40. he's really tough to get in on... once you've got control you should be good for a stock but you gotta lure him into laggy moves... much like you would do to a marth

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I still disagree with all of Kirby's bad match ups listed on the 1st post. My opinions are:

Snake: anywhere from 40-60 to 50-50

Marth: 45-55 to 50-50

Samus: 50-50 if not 60-40

ROB: 45-55 to 50-50

Zelda: 50-50

G&W: 45-55

There is no character in the game where I feel like I'm at a significant disadvantage going into the match.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I still disagree with all of Kirby's bad match ups listed on the 1st post. My opinions are:

There is no character in the game where I feel like I'm at a significant disadvantage going into the match.
Snake can be tricky for me sometimes.... but with a solid stage counter pick you should IMO be even at least with any of these characters. I agree with you completely

Gnes

Smash Master

I only disagree with your take on marth...Marth at least has a 60-40 on kirby...A wall of fairs that are spaced well is extremely difficult to get by...marths superior grab range leads to grab setups like :Grab-Nair-Tipped F-smash. marths forward B becomes a kill move if it send kirby into the air at the end...Marth kills Kirby way to easy...The only thing kirby has to contest marth is his b-air...which will only trade hits at best :(...im not even goin to mention the up B possibilities marth has out of shield...its just too many

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
I only disagree with your take on marth...Marth at least has a 60-40 on kirby...A wall of fairs that are spaced well is extremely difficult to get by...marths superior grab range leads to grab setups like :Grab-Nair-Tipped F-smash. marths forward B becomes a kill move if it send kirby into the air at the end...Marth kills Kirby way to easy...The only thing kirby has to contest marth is his b-air...which will only trade hits at best :(...im not even goin to mention the up B possibilities marth has out of shield...its just too many
mmmm i dunno... i've played a few marths... a careful Kirby should be alright... you cant go all nuts like you can on like... Yoshi... being super aggressive. but you can space him out pretty well and time your B airs. Marth can be tough on FD but i find if you get a stage with platforms and stay under him your good. Plus everyone knows the advantage Kirby has in the edge game. I've had a few interesting combo's with the shield breaker to. F throw shield breaker i think?

Gnes

Smash Master
mmmm i dunno... i've played a few marths... a careful Kirby should be alright... you cant go all nuts like you can on like... Yoshi... being super aggressive. but you can space him out pretty well and time your B airs. Marth can be tough on FD but i find if you get a stage with platforms and stay under him your good. Plus everyone knows the advantage Kirby has in the edge game. I've had a few interesting combo's with the shield breaker to. F throw shield breaker i think?

Yeah i know...im not sayin marth has the huge advantage...but its there...Most marths i play i can consistently win and two stock just from being careful...yet i find it extremely hard to win sets consistently against the best marth in my area, Roy_R. The thing if marth is extremely careful of kirby's b-airs...he has some options to punish with...one which if ur too close to the edge it might kill u...

SheerMadness

Smash Master
I don't have any problems with Marth.

F-tilt, rapid jabs, and bair spaces him out pritty well.

spacemanspiff

Smash Journeyman
Yeah i know...im not sayin marth has the huge advantage...but its there...Most marths i play i can consistently win and two stock just from being careful...yet i find it extremely hard to win sets consistently against the best marth in my area, Roy_R. The thing if marth is extremely careful of kirby's b-airs...he has some options to punish with...one which if ur too close to the edge it might kill u...
aaaah this is true. thats why i put them pretty even.. two careful players will have a long boring to watch match with very sweaty controllers when they're done lol I have difficulties with Marth's F airs at times. if he lands one he'll probably land a couple on me. Perfect shields help quite a bit. and i try to just stay grounded more against Marths than i would against other characters till i get control. F tilts defend nicely. N airs usually trade hits to... sorry if that paragraph makes no sense my thoughts were pretty disjointed.

ps:
has anyone every gotten a jab lock in a match? i haven't seen it done

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
The reason marth is a bad matchup is because less skill is necessary for marth to win than kirby, and there is much less room for error on kirbys part. Think of bad matchups as being less room for error the worse they are. Marth an unskilled player can still turn the tables around by just randomly throwing out fsmashes and if you have moderate damage you will die from one small spacing error. Things like this make the matchup bad.

Now I will say I don't agree with samus being a bad matchup. But the rest of them are pretty much right. Maybe ROB a bit lower too but still a disadvantage. G&W Marth and Snake are definite counters.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
just wahat i was about to say twilight, a good Marth should always beat a good Kirby. Bair has 3/4 the range of Marth's Fair. and from there on Marth has better damage building attacks, (forwardB) better smashes, Fsmash, Dsmash, Usmash all Kill, better tilts, Dtilt primarily. So what should a Kirby palyer do??? Learn to play Wolf, his reflector gimps marth well. Wolf's Bair has same range as Marth's Fair his Dtilt has equal range and can trip. he has the best recovery of the spaceys

SheerMadness

Smash Master
A good Marth does not always beat a good Kirby. Again Gonzo, just because you lose to certain characters doesn't mean its a bad matchup.

Last time I posted on this thread u were saying Samus is 60-40 against Kirby which is ridiculous.

Top Bottom