• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby's Matchup Rankings

Neon304

Smash Apprentice
3xSwords, in your post it seemed like you made Kirby vs. ROB sound incredibly difficult, and then you said it should be 60:40 instead of 65:35 :p

I'd say the only thing you forgot about in your post was the "Beeep!", which could possibly make it 60:40 >_> still one of my personal toughest matchups, along with G&W.

MK and Snake are Major Krap and Snack ^_^ (sorry it's lame, I just made that up on the spot)
Asdioh, you should coin the phrase "Krap and Snack". It might sound a little lame, but I can see that being commonly used.

lol XD

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
lol. hey everybody i came in the semi finals with kirby and i lost agaisnt bum.. lol and for those whodont know bum well he is one of the best brawlers in the world. he is right behind isai and ken. lol bum said im one of the best kirbys he seen in a while. lol he said me and my crew has what it takes to make it to the top. :) gonzo. in the last tourney u went to what place did u come in with kirby???

3xSwords

Smash Lord
lol want to stop using lol? When were Ken and Isai top brawlers? Ken is Ken got second at Evo but we don't know how he fares in tourneys w/o items. And Isai has given up brawl. That would make Bum below average? jk I know he is good but, idk a lot of NYC kirbys though. The well known ones are down south from NY, in Florida or Virginia.

Gj on your tourney success

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
Gonzo, why couldn't all these big tourneys happen in a state just left of yours :( cuz that would be awesome lol

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Just find a bunch of people to carpool with? IMO its the best way to travel to tourneys. Divide up the gas money between everyone in the car and its pretty cheap compared to other methods of travel. Wow we are pretty far off topic.

Anyways I think for me marth is now more annoying than ROB... just cause it takes more patience to beat marth than rob lol.

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Ahh not sure if I'm going to be able to go to Axis but if I don't I think I will go to a local tourney since all the best players will be gone to Axis and I can go get kirby some rankings and say "LOOK GAIS KIRBY IS TEH AWESOMES"

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
well first off 3xswords i put "lol" so much because it was a fun *** day. and well first off i know ken and isai r not top brawlers. and i know isai quit brawl i meant in general. cuz as u should know isai ken and bum r the best smash bro. players in general so stop being a kill joy.

anyway. well yeah kirby against marth does take patience. but all u have to do is keep ur distance and look for a opening and punish him for it. like to be honest in brawl marths moves r kinda slow so it should be easy to anticipate marths moves.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
......did you not see my jk in the middle of it all?

I was JK'ing

and I gave you congrats so how am I a kill joy?

Hmmmm? ;)

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
lol so sorry i didnt read the second half because i was in a rush so i sorta just azed threw it. my bad. but well thanks. and well to be honest u r right about the kirbys in nyc so far i believe im the best north nyc kirby player as far as tournys go according to bum. lmao. well if u wanna play me some time i will accept. but i gotta get my wifi fixed. unless u wanna enter a tourney in nyc and i will be there and we can face off.

3GOD

Smash Ace
One good thing about Kirby in the match-up against ROB is his very small size. It makes it difficult for ROB to connect with lasers and gyros. Also, it can help him avoid some of ROB's "linear" hit boxes easier.

Bair should be your main tool in this match-up, but don't forget about using Dair off stage repeatedly. ROB is vulnerable after he uses Up-B, so take advantage of it. If you actually hit him with one Dair, you can generally make him waste all his fuel and get a gimp of sorts.

Someone mentioned Kirby's grab game not being effective. I assume that you were referring to Fthrow --> Uair --> etc. Are you sure this doesn't work? I was able to pull it off against MookieRah, but he might not have been trying to jump out (though, he almost always does against other characters).

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
kirby has a nice dair to grab combo that ive seen on rob at higher percents. and dair upthrow looks really cool.

joedragon15

Smash Apprentice
ugh r we still disgusing the rob match up lol? to be honest rob should be a easy match for kirby. when he spot dodges all u gotta do is spam the jab and then when he is comin back using his Bup then all u gotta do is dair him to his death lmao. its pretty simple. and as for his lasers and gyros. well his laser u can duck under and his gyro u can dodge and then pick it up and throw it right back at him. if anything take his power and use the laser into some combos.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Dair him to death??? have u ever played a ROB who knows he can Uair and beat our Dair? U cant duck under laser that is aimed down and Gyro is pretty good when used by a pro player. I think its 50 - 50 no advantage to either. ROB has high aerial killing power and Kirby has his small size and faster aerials.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
No, ROB seriously counters Kirby badly. Out ranges Kirby. Out spams Kirby. And most good ROB know they are vulnerable when they use Up+B, so they fly up as high as they can so they'll be safe from attacks. And since ROB is a highly defensive character, Kirby has alot of trouble approaching ROB.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Passively approach. I walk towards ROB when he's standing in front of me, Never run never jump. In this fashion ROB will make the first move and u shield. Starting a counter game. Once u get positioning or a grab or something u can Utilt or grab combo ROB. Once ROB is moving in the air, meaning falling usually. U can position urself to take advantage of that. U know he has to hit the ground and if he Bups he has to come back down sometime. As Kirby positioning in this match is key. Good position and good spacing makes this an even match.

Kirby can react to his matchups well. He's is versatile enough to have a some type of strategy for evening up his bad matchups

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
Kirby can react to his matchups well. He's is versatile enough to have a some type of strategy for evening up his bad matchups
I've been saying this for so long whenever you talk about counterpicking characters lol =P

Key to bad matchups: Read their patterns, let them approach you, be patient, look for openings, and know what you can use to punish.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
I guess walking and spacing counters projectile spam. Im good at spacing from what some people told me, so that shouldnt be a problem, but I do run around alot, I hardly ever walk. Hopefully, thats the answer to my woes.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Oooooo, Kirby>or =Peach, Sheik, Sonic ,Wolf , MK, and Yoshi? That's interesting. An Olimar-Kirby duo has no bad matchups! I'll look into this.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
****ed. I meant Kirby and Olimar get own'd by ROB...
From personal experience, I think Olimar>Wolf, and lately, I've gotten the handle on the Rob matchup.(I wrote a guide on how to beat him. I'd hope I could. lol) It becomes a lot easier once I realized that I couldn't spam grab. >_> Besides those, Kirby would be a pretty good secondary i think.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
Wolf > Kirby and ROB > Olimar
Wolf is even with Kirby Take it from me who plays Candy's Wolf. Kirby vs ROB is also even. Learning the matchups is a little slow for less experienced players so we dont really see Kirby win to often but as time goes on Kirby will advance his per character strats and become even in very many of them

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
You played Candy's Wolf? Wow, I'm pretty impressed I admit. And you could handle him?Any vids?

OK, I watched a vid from you on youtube. It was a two stock match so it doesn't really show the match-up though :\

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Candy, the person who you keep kicking the crap out of in your combo vids, is a good wolf? I couldn't tell from those vids, lolol. I don't know much about Wolf...except that I don't play good ones often, and they kick my *** when I do, so I need serious practice >_> I need practice against all the spacies actually.

~Gonzo~

Smash Ace
The combo vids show only combos, although i combo him it doesn't mean i win. He beats me with Wolf a little more than half the time. I would say his Wolf is number one in the US right now. Its to good.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Wow, I didn't know that. Does he play wifi? ^_^

In other news, I played (rematched?) a certain Ike today that beat me like 10 games in a row the first time I played him. He's by far the best Ike I've ever played. Haven't played him in like 2 weeks though. Anyway, today, I played smarter, and I easily won more than half of our games. It felt so incredible to read him, and he obviously had trouble reading me. Mindgames ftw?

Reverse Suck for the epic win though. I swear, most of you fellow Kirbys have no idea how good that move is.

Wyvern-x

Smash Apprentice
Can someone tell why Kirby has 7-3 over Ike? The only thing I can think of is WoP =/

Top Bottom