• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Help Desk: FAQ & Links & Introductions, ASK HERE! (Soon Resuming)

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
1) did you all know Kirby can swallow ROBs down B?

2) what OOS options does Kirby have besides fsmash?

3) is it worth using Kirby's nair at any time at all?

4) considering that GaW, Dedede, and Marth(though i question why) all have a 60:40 advantage on Lucario, is Kirby a good second for me as a Lucario main?
1. Yesh.

2. OOS? Forgive my ignorace. What does that stand for?

3. Yesh.

4. Don't use secondaries just because they fit into your match-ups nicely. Use them because you enjoy using them and they feel natural.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
3) is it worth using Kirby's nair at any time at all?
It's very good move (as well as all his other aerials. A good way to use it is when fast falling before you hit the floor. It's good for spacing.

Nair > Vulcan Jab.

4) considering that GaW, Dedede, and Marth(though i question why) all have a 60:40 advantage on Lucario, is Kirby a good second for me as a Lucario main?
4). Don't use secondaries just because they fit into your match-ups nicely. Use them because you enjoy using them and they feel natural.
Actually, that's the reason you pick a secondary character. Because certain characters beat your main easily or you have trouble fighting them.

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
If you would have said something like
Kirby hates GaW and Marth too.

He has a favorable match up against Dedede (60:40), though.
I would have understood. But the idea that he shouldn't pick Kirby as a secondary because it didn't feel right isn't very convincing.

I only play as people I have fun as or feel natural with. We can all follow the example of SSBM Kirbies who never used anyone else:).
I play Kirby because I like his play style. Good Grab Game and fairs pretty well against heavy characters. Good Killing killing moves and he isn't utterly broken. You need to push yourself to win.

Although he has trouble fighting against characters that have more range than him, he can defend himself against them. Although its a BAD match up, he isn't completely option less against Meta Knight.

G-Beast, Kirby is a great character. Lucario is great too, but if your gonna use him because you have trouble fighting against G&W, Marth and DDD, don't use him because all you gain is a better fight against one other character.

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
2. OOS? Forgive my ignorace. What does that stand for?

4. Don't use secondaries just because they fit into your match-ups nicely. Use them because you enjoy using them and they feel natural.
OOS means out of shield.

i dont use Kirby because he fits my matchups, i like playing as kirby because he is fun, im a afn of his games, and i was a kirby main in 64... so its like reliving old pwning memories =)

Actually, that's the reason you pick a secondary character. Because certain characters beat your main easily or you have trouble fighting them.
like i said, i play Kirby because i like him, but recently after playing him vs marth, GaW(the musta been bad if GaW has an advantage on Kirby) and a few others that often give me grief as Lucario, i was wondering if a liked character by me is also a good secondary for my main.

what is the vulcan jab? (i dont really explore other character boards much..) but i guess nair dosent really have much landing lag then is FFnair is a good option

DFat2

Smash Journeyman
what is the vulcan jab? (i dont really explore other character boards much..) but i guess nair dosent really have much landing lag then is FFnair is a good option
Vulcan jab is his ground Jab. Just FFNair and Vulcan jab. It's a good spacing technique.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
hi everyone

I was wondering what are kirbys best ways to approach in general

I mean could you all list the ways that are his safest ways to approach even tho he has few ways...lol

TwilightKirby

Smash Ace
2) what OOS options does Kirby have besides fsmash?
Well fsmash isn't that great of an OOS option. Maybe if they do something laggy and you are going for the kill. But really only use fsmash if you know it will hit because if it gets shielding you will get punished. Generally just shieldgrab if they are right in front of you. SH dair is also great OOS, especially against metaknight who will most likely follow up EVERYTHING with downsmash, which wont hit you if you're starting a SH dair. If they are behind you the best options are to drop shield and utilt or SH bair.
hi everyone

I was wondering what are kirbys best ways to approach in general

I mean could you all list the ways that are his safest ways to approach even tho he has few ways...lol
The best way to approach with kirby is to not approach :)
But anyways SH and multijump towards them with your back facing them and hit them when their shield degenerates enough for a poke or they drop it. To make it more clear, SH near them but out of range of their attacks. Then fastfall as if you were going to hit them with an aerial but if they leave their shield up just use a double jump and keep repeating until their shield is degenerated or they drop it.
However most characters you can just hit their shield with bair anyways and not be punished. Just use the cstick to bair them and DI away at the same time (don't fastfall if you are trying to space yourself like this). Dair is also great pressure on shields and often pokes even if they do try to shield the whole thing as long as its slightly weakened. For a mixup you can use kirby's inhale like wario's bite and fall on their shield with it. Its not as reliable though so it only works if they don't expect it.
Aerial hammer is a decent approach too since most people just shield it too and it will make them slide too far to punish if you space it. You can also bait a roll behind you by starting it like normal than moving backwards so they try to roll behind you but you can still hit them (unless its lucario :/)
Dashing shield grab is pretty reliable too. Or just dash grab. If they are going to spotdodge when you approach dash attack is a good counter. Of course you could just run towards them and wait for the dodge then grab too.
So those are some of the ways I approach hope that helps.
Here's one thing I've been wondering: Can Kirby chaingrab Falco, Fox, Falcon, Wolf, and Sheik with dthrow?
I don't think so. Just use the fthrow combo. But if you do dthrow you can chain some utilts on these characters into an uair or upsmash or fsmash depending on positioning and such.

iRjOn

Smash Lord
Another Question from Nips!

Erm What does FC when kirby mains say that mean?

And what so situtations to use it in?

Also what are some Kirby AT's
(i know he doesn't have many.)

tRoll King

Smash Cadet
FC can be used to hit people further away. Good for spacing, since the blast at the end is technically a projectile. Not to mention it can spike people close to the edge (did that today against an Olimar). And obviously recovery is another option. Try not to spam too much.

Edit: I think you already figured this stuff out XD My bad....

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
I have experience with Meta Knight but no experience with Kirby. I can defeat a level 9 CPU Kirby yet can someone give me an introduction to Kirby or any quick techniques with Kirby or even some links to videos demonstrating these. I know what stickies are but any specific videos showing introductory skills with Kirby?

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
Oh gosh, I know I used to watch one. I can't find it...I had it bookmarked on my old compter but it was n firefox and my dad took it off... I know there is one though >.<

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
I will...maybe tomorrow though.

Experience is the best teacher though so just play around against people or even CPUs if you need to get a feel.

Learn Gonzo combo for sure.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
Alright so I've read the stickies and such so I've got a few questions(though not all of them are coming to my mind right now). Let's just start with this one.

Why is Rainbow Cruise Kirby's worst stage? Multiple jumps should make it a cake walk to "recover." His biggest worry is just avoiding the edges so he can properly use them. The worst part of the stage will probably be the ship just because the K.O. screens are so small for the little puffball(i.e. he can die early) but that means mid percent kills for him too. Not only that but he can star K.O. with relative ease thanks to uthrow during the moving section of the stage. Is there something large I'm missing though that makes it his worst stage? Kirby has decent aerial mobility, attacks that hit every angle more or less, decent juggling capabilities. Why isn't this stage good for him again? X_X

Also, a very important question on my mind. Why in the world is kirby vs Snake 45:55 X_X Thanks.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
RC isn't bad for Kirby, though you have to be careful who you CP it against. The problem with this stage is that while the whole fight is fought in the air practically, it is never offstage, which is where Kirby shines. What I mean by this is that other than when you're at the pendulum, gimping is pretty much undoable due to the fact there is almost always a platform below you.

Also, Kirby's airspeed isn't too fast, so some characters can get around him easily here.

Still, this is definitely not a bad stage for Kirby. He does have a lot of things going for him. While many characters will just try to survive here, especially those with bad recoveries, Kirby can focus on delivering a volley of aerial attacks and generally ****ing over the opponent. Also, there are a few spots where Uthrow can kill at any percent on this stage. Inhaling and aerial hammers also seem easier to hit with here, and projectile campers are going to hate you here.

Overall, it's a good stage, but I wouldn't pick it against MK, Pit, Jigglypuff (especially Jiggly. DONT CP HER HERE!), Marth (unless you like to eat rising Fairs), or ROB.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
^Fair enough. I was just curious because while going through the boards I saw a few occassions where people would name RC as kirby's worst stage....Obviously there are others who do better on it than him, but I didn't think it was that bad. Thanks.

Anyways, my more pressing question was about the mk fight....i just don't understand how it could be 55:45....unless you're chudat vs inui =b

Also, is there a flat out list of Kirby's combo's? I know one of the stickies has a quick list like gonzo's combo, reaper combo, etc. etc. but has anyone bothered to test for guaranteed combos with caps and such? Did a little searching and such but no dice.

Hoping to get super active on the kirby boards since he's probably my best character >>

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
To be honest, I don't really know. Considering that so far, I've never fought any good MK mains (I'm the best MK I know atm, which is kind of sad, though my friend picked up MK so that's bound to change), but I don't know. Kirby gets outspaced and outprioritized everywhere, but at the same time, he doesn't seem to be as disadvantaged as other characters. You'd have to ask some more knowledgeable Kirby mains for that one (or MK mains for that matter), though none seem to agree, so meh.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Nice sig fromundaman, but it can't beat mine. Anyway, about the match-up vs mk...

I do pretty well against all the mk's I know of (I know 4 or 5), but that's probably because they dash into my inhale and then don't DI out of my whorenado. Only thing that really pisses me off about his brokeness vs them is when I try to use rock when I have the perfect set-up, but they use shuttle loop, which comes out in -5 frames and hits me before I transform on the 29th. :(

Orange_Soda_Man

Smash Ace
Since this is the Introduction thread too ...

I'm OSM. Sonic Main, I'd like to have Kirby as a strong 2nd / possible tournament main. Right now I'm working on my approach game. I saw that the Fthrow -> Uair is something held in high regard here, but I'm having a little trouble adjusting to Kirby's grab game, especially against MK/marth/[insert ranged guy here]. It's a bit of a shift, what with used to being anywhere I want whenever I want with Sonic, lol.

But yeah.
/ introduction

:027:

brinboy789

Smash Champion
intro...

hey kirby boards, i am officially seconding kirby. hes too irresistible, and besides, kirby + MK go well together (dreamland chars ftw), and i have a question. does kirby really have an edge on any matchup that is better then MK's advantage? if so, which matchup?

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Excuse me, is there a new or operating Kirby Finder thread? I found one on the OP, but I cannot seem to get into it cause my computer says "no thread specified." I'm just wondering because I play a decent Kirby and I wouldn't mind posting up my details so people can challenge me if they wish as I am dying for a battle. Thanks in advance!

A1lion835

Smash Champion
does kirby really have an edge on any matchup that is better then MK's advantage? if so, which matchup?
Excuse me for one moment.

LOL HE SERIOUSLY THINKS SOMEONE HAS A BETTER MATCHUP VS SOMEONE THAN MK DOES ROFL

Um... falco. Probably falco. Falco's a possible MK counterpick, but he gets MEGA ***** by Kirby. I think that's it.

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
this is really random and just solely for curiousity...

is the kirby jackhammer legal?

BurtonEarny

Smash Ace
Hey all, just read the meet and greet part of the thread so I thought I'd say hello. I started playing kirby not too long ago (it was him or wario and I just like kirby more) and he is SUCH a breath of fresh air for me from Peach who can be a chore to play as if you are not careful. His moves are fairly sraight forward and all have a use. I love his early grab chains, his bair is HOT, and I like me some of his fsmash. Um... dont know what else to say...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Hey all, just read the meet and greet part of the thread so I thought I'd say hello. I started playing kirby not too long ago (it was him or wario and I just like kirby more) and he is SUCH a breath of fresh air for me from Peach who can be a chore to play as if you are not careful. His moves are fairly sraight forward and all have a use. I love his early grab chains, his bair is HOT, and I like me some of his fsmash. Um... dont know what else to say...
Yeah, Kirby IS AWESOME! =D On a a side note: Kirbycides=WIN! :laugh: Uhh... Yeah, I'm glad that you're using Kirby because I think that he is a fun character to play as next to my other mains as well. Your sig made me lol hard! :chuckle:

Oh BTW, I found an Online Kirby finder thread! However it's not even stickied and it looks rather outdated... Should we revive that one from the dead (lol) :laugh: or should we start up a new one ? If we start a new one up, I'll gladly do it seemingly as though I've got nothing better to do so updating it won't be a problem for me!

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Hey, what is kirby's best stage?
IMO, Kirby's best stages are Jungle Japes and Rainbow Cruise. Jungle Japes is one of Kirby's best stages because it's harder for opponents to get ceiling KO's on him due to his light weight. Another reason why that Kirby is good on this stage because the horizontal blastzones are closer on this stage. This makes it easier for Kirby to edgegaurd opponents off the side.

Rainbow Cruise is another good stage for Kirby because once the boat starts to sink, Kirby can utilise his good aerial game to gimp opponents and possibly KO some opponents who have bad recovery abilities.

One of Kirby's bad stages is Pirate Ship. This is because it's harder for Kirby to edgegaurd opponents off the stage and Kirby can't gimp them either because of the water.

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Uhhh... OK then. I guess that leads me to my next question: Why is Brinstar a good Kirby stage? Seen it on a CP guide, but I don't know why...
1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUU_ZWhgO1M

You know who that is? That's Asdioh. He kicks *** there. *goes to get Asdioh to come here and explain why Kirby is good on brinstar*

BTW, it's probably gonna involve a wall of text.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
*goes to get Asdioh to come here and explain why Kirby is good on brinstar* BTW, it's probably gonna involve a wall of text.
Umm... I probably wouldn't bother with that. I think I get the point from the video. Not to sound rude or anything, but I think you bringing Asdioh here to explain to me why Brinstar is a good Kirby stage might turn my simple question into a federal case + abuse directed at me just because I didn't know ONE of Kirby's good stages. I've had it happen to me before and I don't want something else like that to happen again...>_> I'm still just trying to grasp the basics here...

Top Bottom