• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Help Desk: FAQ & Links & Introductions, ASK HERE! (Soon Resuming)

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Any platform that you can attack through >_>

Delfino Plaza/Halberd's main platforms, platforms like on Battlefield...

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Any platform that you can attack through >_>

Delfino Plaza/Halberd's main platforms, platforms like on Battlefield...
I know that must have sounded pretty dumb, but I just like to get my facts right. :p

Anyways, thanks for the help with the stages guys!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, you got sharking right. I thought that what it was supposed to be called...

Also, POAD is not a neutral, but apparently now a legal counterpick... That actually might be another good Kirby stage if you can dodge the cars.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Also, POAD is not a neutral, but apparently now a legal counterpick... That actually might be another good Kirby stage if you can dodge the cars.
Is there like a more recently updated list of tournament legal stages? Also, apparently there are now 5 neutral stages instead of 4 and people from the other boards tell me it either may be PS1 or LC which may be the 5th legal stage. However, I know that the main factor that affects tournament stages is what area you live in, but is there a more recent list of stages which I could take a look at which may have these new changes made or is the list still the same?

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Unless I'm mistaken, the Smash BackRoom is releasing an updated rule list in a week or less.

Hopefully that includes stages as well.

I have been to tourneys that have either PS1 or Lylat as a neutral. I've also been to one that had 9 neutrals.

And if Port Town Aero Dive is seriously going to become a legal counterpick....

that's great! That stage's hazards aren't random so you can't ban it because of that. It's not huge, so you can't avoid fights forever. And it gimps tether recoveries and crap 8) can't wait to fight Olamers on that stage <3

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Yeah, apparently at the friendlies tourny I went to yesterday we had as Neutrals (depended on who you were playing, because since it wasn't a money tourny, no tourny ruleset was given and as such people were not always in agreement about having CS and DP as neutrals) were Yoshi's Island Brawl, FD, BF, PS1, SV, Castle Siege, Delfino, and Lylat. As counterpicks, it was all the legal counterpicks, and I was told that Mario Kart and Port Town had recently been considered legal counterpicks, so those were in too... MARIO KART?!? Wow... I now have a new stage to ban against everyone with a CG... And a new stage to bring MK's to as Yoshi...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Can I declare myself the father of the Kirbydance now?
I don't think so. I do it all the time in friendlies because it's awesome (though Ganon's is even better I think. He does the Ganoncopter), and I've seen others do it for other characters. Sorry.

Kirby's Doop Walk looks funnier IMO though.

Lovely

Smash Lord
I'm going to first main Kirby now, he's too addictive in this game, I'm still maining Samus, Ice Climbers, Wario and Marth. ♥

Oh, my question, what is the AT's to know when maining Kirby, I would train with Viper, but he's a horrible teacher. ;p ♥

Atria

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to first main Kirby now, he's too addictive in this game, I'm still maining Samus, Ice Climbers, Wario and Marth. ♥

Oh, my question, what is the AT's to know when maining Kirby, I would train with Viper, but he's a horrible teacher. ;p ♥
Hmm...I haven't really dived into the world of AT's yet, but I do know of one situationally useful glitch that could help you in battle. However like I already said, it is fairly situational as it depends on what stage you are on. Okay first requirement, you need to be either on Pictochat or Brinstar. On Pictochat, go to the far right edge and use Kirby's stone. Once Kirby turns into a stone, the screen should shake and there should be a lot of smoke around the stone. If Kirby is stuck in this state, you've got a continuous hit box around Kirby's body. Not even opponents can grab you out of the stone!

If you are on Brinstar however, first destroy that right column that is on the right side of the stage. Once it's gone, the platform should angle itself up higher. Once the column is destroyed, go above the platform and use Kirby's stone. Once again, you'll have a continuous hitbox around Kirby while remaing stationary on the platform. For both methods, Kirby won't slide off the stage because he is stuck for some wierd reason. Therefore, there should be no way that you can possibly mess up this glitch because it is THAT EASY to do. IMO, this glitch is useful for edgegaurding however, it's use is fairly situational as you need to be on the right stage to be able to perform this glitch.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that there are more AT's for Kirby, but that's the only one I know about/know how to perform properly. Hopefully someone else can fill you in on how to do some other Kirby AT's. Still, you should try out the one I mentioned however because I find it useful.

Yeah, apparently at the friendlies tourny I went to yesterday we had as Neutrals (depended on who you were playing, because since it wasn't a money tourny, no tourny ruleset was given and as such people were not always in agreement about having CS and DP as neutrals) were Yoshi's Island Brawl, FD, BF, PS1, SV, Castle Siege, Delfino, and Lylat. As counterpicks, it was all the legal counterpicks, and I was told that Mario Kart and Port Town had recently been considered legal counterpicks, so those were in too... MARIO KART?!? Wow... I now have a new stage to ban against everyone with a CG... And a new stage to bring MK's to as Yoshi...
I understand the whole Neutral, CP and banned stages thing, but you know that when you're allowed to ban stages depending on what character you and your opponent uses, how many stages can you swipe off the list and can you ban neutral stages too? I would find it lame if Mario Kart becomes a CP stage BTW... >_>

Unless I'm mistaken, the Smash BackRoom is releasing an updated rule list in a week or less.

Hopefully that includes stages as well.

I have been to tourneys that have either PS1 or Lylat as a neutral. I've also been to one that had 9 neutrals.

And if Port Town Aero Dive is seriously going to become a legal counterpick....

that's great! That stage's hazards aren't random so you can't ban it because of that. It's not huge, so you can't avoid fights forever. And it gimps tether recoveries and crap 8) can't wait to fight Olamers on that stage <3
Hmm...Guess I'll have to wait for that updated list and see what's available. Also, don't forget about the the one hazard in PTAD: The wall. Seriously, it always screws me over when the platform gets to that area... x_x Although then again, it feels like it has been months since I last played on that stage.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmm...Guess I'll have to wait for that updated list and see what's available. Also, don't forget about the the one hazard in PTAD: The wall. Seriously, it always screws me over when the platform gets to that area... x_x Although then again, it feels like it has been months since I last played on that stage.
Yeah, my crew mainly plays with neutrals, and so when we got there, the CP stages screwed me over completely (Especially Lylat... I can't see the ****ing C4!).

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, my crew mainly plays with neutrals, and so when we got there, the CP stages screwed me over completely (Especially Lylat... I can't see the ****ing C4!).
Haven't really gone against a good Snake yet on LC. I'll count myself lucky for now...;) That's lame how you got to go to another tournament! Why can't I go to one for a change? They seem to popping up all over the place for you people! :( Ohhh...How I loathe Mackay SO MUCH...

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Haha, yeah, Australia probably isn't too great for tournies >.<

As for me, it was just a friendly tourny, but yeah, it's definitely better than nothing.

To tell you the truth, if I wasn't already banning Corneria against Snake, Lylat would be gone.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Is it okay to Up b out of shield like all the time to punish everything?

Or should I do something else?

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
No! UpBing on stage is generally a very bad idea with Kirby, as they can DI out after the first hit, the projectile is easily shielded, and it is very easy to punish due to ending lag.

Better OoS options would be either a Bair (the whole body is a hitbox, so it works very well), or a Utilt if the are behind you. Shieldgrabs are also great.
Personally, I also like Ftilt, but I think that's just me.

Atria

Smash Journeyman
Really? That's it? I thought it'd go something like this:
You go fight your opponent and both of you ban 1 neutral stage each depending on what character the both of you selected. Afterwards depending on who won or not, you or your opponent select another character if they wish and both of you ban another stage now that CP stages are available which makes the list of stages available to choose from larger. So by around here, wouldn't you have banned 2 stages and your opponent would have banned 2 stages as well? BTW, the stages banned are 1 neutral and 1 CP stage. I'm assuming what I'm thinking here is incorrect?

Also, how many rounds do you have against the 1 person and how many victories do you need to get before you're declared the winner?

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
Well, here I go. I've been stalking around the Kirby boards for a while, and since this doubles as an introductory thread I supposed I should crawl out of my little dark corner. I main Kirby of course, and occasionally Pika and DK (who i recently found out is an excellent secondary for Kirby) Also, since I've never been to a tournament, I'd like to know the deal with control schemes. Do you bring your own setup on an SD card, or create a new name when you get there? Does everyone play with the default style? Unfortunately I don't have access to wifi presently, but I look forward to playing all of you.

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Grounded hammer Oos ftw~!
*facepalm*
Jump->5 aerial jumps->Stone OoS ftw!

Also, since I've never been to a tournament, I'd like to know the deal with control schemes. Do you bring your own setup on an SD card, or create a new name when you get there? Does everyone play with the default style? Unfortunately I don't have access to wifi presently, but I look forward to playing all of you.
In response to you being new: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTmyCUnMllg

I play default, including tap jump on, except I change my Y button to Special since I never used it to jump, and I find that it's so much easier to use B moves with the Y button XD

I don't even have a ShadowDragon- I mean SD card. I just have to set up my new controls at every Wii at the tourney, and that's really annoying XD

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Some good Kirbys in offline tournaments (as far as I know)

Chudat
T!mmy
Gness

me

(lol)

Online Kirbys, there are a bunch.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Personally, I use X as specials, tap jump off, and R as attack, but then again I use weird controls that make it so I can play all of my characters well with one control theme.

As for tournaments, the way it works is you play best of 3 rounds, and in finals 5 or 7. You start with all your neutrals, then to figure out the stage you play the first round you use a strikeout system, which is basically each player says which stage he/she doesn't want to play on in turn until only one is left, which becomes the one you play on.
After that, the winner picks one stage to ban, after which the loser picks a stage. At that point the winner may choose to switch characters, and after he has the loser may choose to change. Hope that helps!
(I just learned all this saturday :p )

platiepoos

Smash Apprentice
Yah I already knew about the stage CP stuff, I was talking aout using unique control schemes at the tournaments. :p A nice warm welcome, I doubt I would have received such at *shudder* the Lucario boards. Some pretty freaky stuff goes on there. 0_0 Anyway, I look forward to posting more. One other thing: What characters are most affected by Kirby's crouch-avoid? And a melee question since those boards are practically dead, what is the best height to whip out our aerial hammer?

A1lion835

Smash Champion
Lurking the Kirby Social thread with my rock buds.
Yah I already knew about the stage CP stuff, I was talking aout using unique control schemes at the tournaments. :p A nice warm welcome, I doubt I would have received such at *shudder* the Lucario boards. Some pretty freaky stuff goes on there. 0_0 Anyway, I look forward to posting more. One other thing: What characters are most affected by Kirby's crouch-avoid? And a melee question since those boards are practically dead, what is the best height to whip out our aerial hammer?
The lucario boards. That's the place where Asdioh got an infraction for posting at, right?

Triple R

Smash Lord
You should go to the melee boards with melee questions. They need some more action anyways. Kirby's melee aerial hammer is best left as a surprise attack since basically all the high tiers can hit you back before you get done with your landing lag. If I remember correctly I think the hammer can be auto canceled if you do it right below a platform and the boost just barely makes you land on it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
As for your brawl question, we are able to duck under all of Falco's lasers, so probably Falco (though we can also duck under a ****-ton of Ganondorf moves and quite a few ZSS ones it seems.)

Top Bottom